4.0 out of 5 stars Good conceptual level reference
I found this book gave me useful understanding of the theory of MDM, which is what I wanted. It also provides some good high level architectures. I think it would have benefitted from more in the way of Case studies, particularly lessons learned. The true value of MDM can be questionable when it comes down to the practical hands on, so real life examples are paramount.
Published 11 months ago by DJ Arboretum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very technical
I found the book rather lacking in technical specifics. It is geared more toward a CTO/CIO audience. If you need to "sell" an MDM project to management, then you'll find good material in this book
Published 14 months ago by Michael J. Sexton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good conceptual level reference, December 16, 2013
This review is from: MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT AND DATA GOVERNANCE, 2/E (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very technical, September 24, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE BOOK for MDM., December 17, 2010
This book is great for beginners just starting out with MDM as well as seasoned professionals. I was introduced to MDM with the first version of this book. That was not my copy, so I bought the second edition for myself.

This book covers everything MDM from architectural considerations to governance and market trends.

The book offers some really sound advice on building the business case for MDM and how to communicate that business case effectively. Listen to their advice!!!! I am an architect, purely a technical guy, but I can tell you from experience without the backing of the business your project will be squashed.

The book covers the technical aspects of implementation in great detail. This book will give you the insight you need to fully understand the complexities of an MDM project. There are a ton of vendors out their claiming to have a magic install of MDM available for purchase, but the truth is they just do not exist. MDM is a process with many steps involved, not a product.

All in all if you are involved or getting involved with MDM this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book for any one who wants to get started on MDM, June 17, 2014
I am still a novice in the world of MDM and this book was the right first step. It gives you complete yet succinct overview of MDM, data governance, managing MDM projects, and MDM trends.
I am planning to read it one more time and then I believe i can take on other books which dive into the details of MDM specifics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 11, 2013
The book gives a good overview about the Data Management. What I like is it stays very much on the 'business' perspective though there are several technical diagrams for illustration. Chap 19 gives you some ideas where you can go from where you are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, October 2, 2013
Found easy to follow and get a solid foundation on the subject. The topics were well covered with examples and cases.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, October 8, 2014
No examples, no example data owner custodian interview questions, no examples on retention or categorization philosophies. So vague. We don't need to be sold on data management, we actual workflows to achieve savings now.
No examples to help me get the work done, boo.

3.0 out of 5 stars A long sail across Lake Déjà Vu, December 27, 2012
People who can benefit from reading the book include (a) vendors and consultants selling "data solutions", (b) high-level managers buying them, (c) techies typing in PowerPoint, following a tryst between (a) and (b), or lobbying for a project/budget, and (d) students in courses on "information management" etc. Someone with at least a couple of years of experience in data management - I have considered the alternatives "someone who actually knows SQL syntax" and "someone who actually has to implement or manage a data system" - asking "What new and useful technical data-management advice does the book offer?" may be disappointed. I did not find a whole lot of *original* thought, and proposals (between "where we want to be" and "how to get there", I count as proposals only the latter variety) that did seem original were not always well explained, let alone argued for. Kudos to the authors for aggregating and presenting so much material - from SOX to SSL, from XACML to GLBA, from SOUNDEX to Acxiom, from logs to logarithms - but may I express my admiration for this pedagogical feat, this triumph of methodicalness and erudition, and keep my $36 for a more practical book investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berson & Dubov truly understand that MDM & Data Governance are two co-dependent & synergistic IT initiatives, December 16, 2010
Aaron Zornes (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Finally we have the sequel! One that is from seasoned practitioners who have presciently zeroed in on the co-dependence of Master Data Management (MDM) and Data Governance.

Both Master Data Management and Data Governance programs are breaking new ground when it comes to complexity and business value justification for large scale integration projects. Although established in the Global 5000-size financial service enterprises to some degree, Master Data Governance solutions are still an emerging area for both the vendor community and IT professionals. Moreover, there is a tremendous lack of published research on the convergence.

As chief research officer of The MDM Institute, I have been fortunate to work side by side with many of the same large enterprises that Alex and Larry have worked for and with in their MDM efforts. Early on, we commiserated about the lack of systemic rigor in providing the active Data Governance our clients were telling us they greatly needed. Clearly, our pioneering MDM ancestors were telling us to "go early, go governance" as we mutually came to the same determinations that:
* MDM and Data Governance are two vital IT initiatives that are both co-dependent and synergistic
* Successful MDM requires a significant up-front Data Governance investment
* Data Governance as a discrete IT discipline benefits tremendously from the application of MDM

At this point, potential readers should not need any more encouragement to read this book by two of the most experienced practitioners I know of. Clearly, Alex Berson and Larry Dubov were hard at work tackling the tough topic of "master data governance" before the software vendor community had yet found religion (as the market now has "active", "passive" and my favorite "passive-aggressive" data governance flavors among the many marketing variations).

My team of research analysts and our Global 5000 IT clients greatly value the knowledge and skills that experienced pioneers such as Alex and Larry bring to our collective MDM consciousness. Now sit back and absorb ... the industry's biggest and best download on the convergence of MDM and Data Governance.

Aaron Zornes
Chief Research Officer, The MDM Institute,
San Francisco,
and
Conference Chairman,
MDM & Data Governance Summit
(London, Madrid, New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto)

5.0 out of 5 stars The reference book for MDM, November 25, 2010
I read the first edition in 2007, "Master Data Management and Customer Data Integration for a Global Enterprise". It was the first comprehensive look at the field and has been an enormous success in the market. I personally continue to buy it for my clients to read as a way of explaining the complexity of MDM. For that reason, I was delighted to receive a pre-release copy of the their fully updated second edition, recognising the ongoing and rapid development of this field. The new book is called simply "Master Data Management and Data Governance", taking away the references to CDI which seems to have become comfortably subsumed in the profession by MDM.

The book is a complete refresh, without losing the core content in the original that made it such a good primer on the topic. There is a new chapter providing different industry perspectives, with specific language and suggestions that will be extremely useful for practitioners in financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, life sciences, logistics, retail, social services, security and government intelligence. Regulatory requirements have also evolved and the book reflects many of these changes (although the book retains a US-focus in this respect).

Particularly pleasing to me is additional content (and focus given the revised title) on data management and governance, with MDM being treated as providing the tools to navigate this business critical asset. The book provides a solid set of governance principles (including reference back to MIKE2.0) that make an excellent starting point for most organizations. Berson and Dubov have also now included support for data modellers including comparisons of approaches and the impact these options have on the overall architecture.

Finally, like the rest of the book, the chapter on vendors and their products has been completely revised reflecting the many changes in the software landscape since the first edition of the book. Anyone wanting a good summary of available technologies is going to be pleased by the detail provided in chapter 18.

MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT AND DATA GOVERNANCE, 2/E
MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT AND DATA GOVERNANCE, 2/E by Alex Berson (Hardcover - November 9, 2010)
$62.00 $37.28