on November 8, 2012
I purchased this Bunn My Café MCU brewer to replace my problematic Keurig B70 machine, and I am very pleased with it here on day one. I felt the same way with my B70 when I got it, however, after a few months, and ongoing failures, those machines have been nothing but problems. As this was a replacement for my Keurig machine, I will be comparing this new Bunn My Café MCU machine to the old Keurig.

First, everyone hates instruction manuals, but take the time to read the first few pages. It will only take a few minutes, and it makes it easier to understand which drawer works with the different formats.

Out of the box, this brewer is a bit different as it uses drawers for the different coffee brewing formats. It can use K-Cups, pods, tea bags, and ground coffee. The different drawers provide that functionality. On page 4 of my manual, it shows a picture of each drawer, and their purpose. It can also provide hot water to mix with hot chocolate or oatmeal in the morning.

The Bunn My Café MCU does not have all the bells and whistles that the Keurig machine has. While I would appreciate having some of those features, I would rather have a machine that actually works and isn't always broken. The features the Bunn My Café MCU does NOT have are:

No storage reservoir. Like the B70, it has the internal tank, so brewing a cup is quick. However, you need to pour in the desired amount of water into the top each time you make a cup of coffee. The amount you pour in will control how much is pumped out.

There is no automatic on/off time. The unit is always on, but automatically sets back after six (6) hours of no use. After twenty-six (26) hours of no use, it goes to sleep. Later when you go to use it, it automatically wakes up, and returns to normal temperature.

The internal water temperature is set to 200°F. The only adjustment is for high altitudes above 4000 feet.

The Bunn My Café MCU requires an initial setup before you can brew your coffee. The brewer has an internal hot water tank that needs filled. They provide step by step instructions on page 3. You will need to add a few cups of water overall to get it filled. Once filled, it will begin to heat the water in the tank. This takes a few minutes, and the brew button turns a solid red. Red usually means problems, but now, it is just heating the water for the first time. Once heated, it will turn green, and it is ready to go.

Some notes:

The Bunn My Café MCU brewer makes a bit more noise compared with the B70 when brewing, but nothing objectionable.

The drawer for the K-Cups is easy to use. Inside, it has a handle that you may want to pull towards you. I have found that it works best if pulled more straight up first.

Unlike the B70, you can also use soft pods and tea bags. The ground coffee drawer is also nicer to use compared with the older basket I used in the B70.

This machine is probably only 2/3rd's the size of the Keurig. Overall, it is a nice size on the counter.

One feature the Bunn My Café MCU has that the B70 does not is a Pulse mode. This brews at a slower speed to extract a stronger, bolder flavor from the coffee or tea. I used this feature with one of my Columbian K-cups, and the coffee actually has a better, smoother flavor.

As for the warranty, the Bunn My Café MCU has a two (2) year warranty, compared with the B70's one year warranty. I have used Bunn commercial systems in restaurants for years, and they have been one of the most reliable appliances. I am hoping that same dedication to quality will exist in this home use machine too. As time goes on, I will update this review if I have any issues with this new Bunn My Café MCU brewer.

As a side note. This unit has been on back order from Amazon for some time now. I found it locally, and purchased it from a local retailer.

Update December 2012

After a month or so, I have had no problems with the Bunn. The only feature I have missed is that the Bunn does not have a water reservoir. Also, my tall 7½" insulated travel mugs do not fit in it for brewing. The largest mug that you can put in when using the K-Cup drawer is about 4 3/4" with the drip tray. Pull out the drip tray, and you can get a 6" mug in. If you use some of the other optional drawers, like the hot water one, you can get a slightly larger mug in. Right now, I have a 2 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup that sits with the coffee maker that I use to fill it. And when I need my travel mugs, I just brew into that cup and pour it into the mug. However, in no way would these missing features make me go back to the Keurig. I works every time, and heats hotter and faster.

Since my initial review, I have used the drawer for ground coffee. I purchased a new bag of Starbucks Sumatra beans, grind them myself as needed, and works well. It took a few tries to get the perfect setting in my Burr grinder to get it just the way I like it. I like my coffee dark and strong. I ground it a bit finer compared to what you normally get in pre-ground coffee. I did that too with the Keurig when I first got it. Bought the extra do it yourself pod for the Keurig, but could never get anything really good out of it. I'm guessing it's just because the Keurig does not get as hot as the Bunn machine.

It's only been a month or so since I got the Bunn, but so far, no disappointments, and very satisfied!
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Just picked this up two weeks ago and I love it. Have had four single cup coffee makers in the past: two Keurigs, one Hamilton Beach, and one Tassimo. This one is the best by far. The Tassimo was good but the coffee pods were very limited in terms of brands. The Hamilton Beach made very weak coffee. The two Keurigs were absolutely horrible. Neither made it more than a year due to pump failure. So far the Bunn MCU has been the best ever. It gives you complete control over the brewing process, from the type of coffee and tea to the amount of water you use. Pods, loose tea, tea bags, K-cups or ground coffee can be brewed in the unit. The amount of ground coffee can be determined by the user and coffee grounds are easily removed from the container by tapping the side of the container cup before emptying it out. Very easy to fill the coffee container as the top will stay open while you scoop the coffee in. Design of the machine is centered on giving the user total control over the brewing process. As long as the pump lasts it will be a big winner.

Just an update: coffee maker started to short cup my drinks. I use 8 ounces per cup and it was only brewing about 5 or 6 ounces. Water would then spill out of the coffee drawer when I removed it. Thought it was a pump issue like with the Keurigs. Called Bunn customer service. They were very professional and courteous. They diagnosed the problem as a dirty valve and sent me a link to a video showing how to clean it. After doing so machine works perfectly again. Keeping my rating at 5 stars for the machine and an additional 5 stars for the customer service. If you need the video link go to youtube and search for a video with this title: MCP Check Valve Cleaning
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2012
I did my homework and researched all of the single cup brewers. After spending a lot of time reading, I decided what I really wanted was the My Cafe MCU. Had to wait for the release, but pre-ordered it on Amazon. So very glad that I waited, it was well worth it. Bunn sent 4 sample pods with the coffee and I found that if you used the pulse option with the brew that they make a good 14 oz. cup of coffee. I also have used my own ground coffee and, I don't know how Bunn did it, but the bitterness that was in the coffee when I used my multi-cup coffee maker was gone. I don't know if I'll be using the K-Cups, they're very pricey and I don't really need them, maybe for a party, but right now I'm happy with the pods and ground coffee.

I was used to having a larger cup of coffee in the morning and I thought that only being able to brew 14 oz. was going to mean that I would have to brew a second cup, but it was more than enough. As I sat with coffee and took the last sip, I realized that this was the first time in a long time that I had actually finished my morning coffee. If I wanted, it would only take a minute or so to have another fresh cup.

The only down side that I see, is that I now need a shorter travel mug. When using the ground coffee attachment, the clearance is only about 7" and that's a lot shorter than the travel mugs I have now. That being said, I love the My Cafe MCU.

Would I recommend this? Absolutely, I recommend this to anyone who loves a GREAT cup of coffee!

UPDATE: Found this on Amazon: Contigo Autoseal Randolph Stainless Steel Travel Mug Vacuum Insulated, 16-Ounce and it works perfectly with the My Cafe MCU!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2013
When I first got this coffee maker, I really loved it. I still like it, but it has some issues. Bunn has written me back (after a few days) when I complain, but they say the same things each time (copy and paste, anyone?), even when I tell them that I have gone through and followed all of their instructions, to no avail. The ground coffee drawer is my main issue. It makes loose tea just fine, but no matter how I grind the coffee, the drawer fills with water and doesn't drain. It makes a huge mess, and I've burned myself pretty badly once, pulling the drawer out and not knowing it was full of hot coffee water. Also, what a waste of coffee! I've had this coffee pot for nearly a year and have found a way around using the ground coffee drawer (bought inserts that fit in the K-cup drawer- that took forever finding one that fit), but it is ridiculous that I have to buy inserts for an insert, IMO. Also, the thing just drips randomly. It's a pretty messy machine. I still like it, as I've stated, and it makes a nice, strong cup of joe, but I must say it could use some improvements, and Bunn could use some improvement on their customer service.
review image
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2013
Received my MCU single cup brewer this afternoon. Following the recommendation in an earlier review, I read the manual...only a few pages. I was a chemist before I became an engineer, so you know I setup the brewer next to my kitchen sink for testing. At first only pod/tea drawer would easily insert into the unit. After numerous tries, I finally felt confident that the drawers were inserting properly.

Followed the instructions for filling the water tank. Without using a K-cup or ground coffee, I started testing the unit because another review indicated that their unit leaked water when brewing. The pod/tea drawer did not leak. Inserted the K-cup drawer, then had to bang it a couple of times because the unit could not detect the drawer to allow brewing. The same thing happened with the ground coffee brewer. Started the brew cycle. Both drawers leaked at the center back and back corners.

Okay, I thought...maybe it is because it needs coffee or K-cup in there. Inserted K-cup and tried again. Leaked again...in fact measured and at least two-thirds of the water leaked out and into the drip pan. Weighed out 20grams (max coffee recommended) ground coffee into that drawer. It too leaked just as badly as the K-cup drawer. Read the trouble-shooting instructions. No help there. Called Bunn support and they were closed until Monday.

I thought some more and remembered that I had read about the spray head and that it had a seal. I removed the spray head, the seal remained in the brewer. I looked at where the spray head was and could see the seal didn't look snug. Removed the seal from the brewer because the instructions said the seal should fit around the spray head edge. Reseated the spray head (hand tightened "tight" but not torqued) with the seal into the unit. Tested again....YEA!!! No leaks. Tested regular brew and pulse brew for K-cups, ground coffee, and tea.

The drawers are getting easier to insert properly first or second try. No leaks yet (two more batches of ground coffee and two more K-cups).

I would have rated this 5 stars if I had not had to trouble-shoot the leak problem.

We used to have the "original" Bunn coffee brewer (pour water in and hot water starts coming out immediately). The MCU unit has one improvement on the original brewer...hot water does not start coming out until you press the brew button! Love that feature!

Now when the unit cools it will be transferred to the breakfast room where the bakers' rack is that is home to our coffee center (mugs, flavored syrups, dying Keurig brewer, Bunn Phase brewer, espresso machine, assorted coffees and teas, burr grinders). Yes, we love our coffee!

*********************
UPDATE TO MY REVIEW: Over the weekend (29-30 June) the K-cup drawer got harder to insert. All the other drawers were fine. Called Bunn first thing Monday morning and they said it shouldn't be that difficult. They immediately sent out a replacement K-cup drawer and a return (prepaid) shipping label to send the problem drawer back. Received the replacement drawer in just a few days.

I've been happily brewing K-cups--drawer inserts easily and on the first try. I have an old Keurig brewer and never (even on smallest brew setting) could get my K-cups to brew strongly enough. Using the pulse mode on the My Cafe and 6 oz of water gives me just the right strength out of the K-cup. I've tried 3 different brands and types of K-cups (a half-caf, bold, and Paul Newman) and each came out just the way I like them. My husband does not like his coffee as strong as I do, so he runs a small Keurig brew cycle through my K-cup and is quite happy with the strength. He hasn't used the My Cafe yet, but a few more times of the Keurig acting up (not brewing, only brewing 2 tablespoons when large cup selected, etc) and he'll be using it.

Because of my poor experiences with the Keurig brewing, I really didn't expect to use the K-cup drawer (personally) very often. But given the excellent results I've experienced for the last week or so with K-cups in the My Cafe, I may try some other K-cup varieties.

I have to give Bunn customer service 5 Stars for their prompt replacement of the K-cup drawer and the prepaid postage for returning the problem drawer.
on November 13, 2012
I purchased this to replace my problematic Cuisinart Keurig brewer. Received the brewer today from Amazon. (ordered mid October before it was released) I followed the setup instructions and ran a few cycles before doing a side by side taste test with the Cuisinart. I brewed two 10oz cups, one with the Cuisinart and one with the Bunn, using the same variety of K-cup (Green Mountain Dark Magic) For the first test, I used the regular brew on the Bunn, not the pulse brew. The coffee from the Bunn was hotter after brewing than the Cuisinart, it was also more aromatic, and had a fuller flavor with no bitterness. The Cuisinart brew was a bit flat in flavor compared to the Bunn, and had just a touch of bitterness. I haven't tried the other trays for pods/tea bags or ground coffee/loose tea yet, but so far, it definitely makes a better cuppa joe than the Cuisinart.

Pulse brew produces a richer cup with still no hint of bitterness. I like the fact that on pulse or regular, it does a pre-burst to wet the grounds. It will also make anywhere from 4-14 oz of coffee. My Keuring would only go up to 12 oz, although there is probably not enough coffee in your typical K-cup to brew a 14oz cup, the option to use the ground coffee tray to hold up to 20 grams of ground coffee will greatly increase my options.

Now I can finally get rid of the partially dismantled Cuisinart I have been using. I have taken that thing apart so many times to fix it, it was becoming a pain, so I would just leave it partially dismantled so I could directly rap on the valves when it started acting up again.
on March 15, 2013
3 months after I purchased this brewer, it stopped working. I performed all the recommended checks but to no avail. I called Bunn and a replacement was on my front doorsteps two days later. You can't beat that with a stick.
on January 4, 2014
Take it from someone who has been through multiple Keurig machines and an even more expensive Breville brewer, those brewers are a waste of money. They are built to work for about 500-600 days of usage before they fail. The manufacturers know this, that is why they will only warranty them for a year. When they do break, there is nothing a consumer can do to service the units so if it fails after the warranty, you have no recourse....you're back in the market for a new one! This was my situation a few months ago when I stumbled upon the BUNN MCU.

No flashy programmable LCD display...you can't set it to wake you up, it doesn't have a dozen preset brew sizes or a cool back-lit reservoir. BUNN is going substance over style here. The design is minimal but modern. It only has two buttons! Instead of technical gimmicks, BUNN has packed a lot of power and practicality into the unit. You can use K-Cups, pods, and ground coffee - up to you. You're in total control over the strength of your coffee (or tea). It produces good pressure and very hot water - the coffee comes out much hotter than other units I've owned.

Remains to be seen how it will stand up over time but it appears well built, by no means flimsy. And Bunn apparently is ready to back that up since it comes with a two-year warranty instead of the typical one.

Pricing on this is all over the place. I have seen it for $200+...I was able to buy this from an Amazon seller for under $100 - shop around before you click.
review image review image review image review image
on August 22, 2014
I've always had Bunn products, but I had to return this because the plastic smell would not go away. I've read similar reviews, and some people were able to get rid of it, but I was not. I ran a lot of water and coffee grounds through it, as well as vinegar, and nothing worked. Not pleased at all with this one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2013
I have to agree with all of the positive reviews here, so I won't re-iterate them, but will instead offer something no one has mentioned yet. As much as is reasonable, I have for over 20 years avoided using any product that may cause me to ingest or absorb Aluminum due to the link with Alzheimer's disease. Sometimes it can't be easily avoided when using commercially made products, but from antacids to antiperspirants, there are alternatives, and of course one needn't use aluminum to cook with. I contacted customer service by phone and was assured that the water holding/heating tank were made of stainless steel. They were not positive about the heating element, so they offered to speak with the engineering department and would call and let me know. They did get back with me and assured me that one of the Engineers confirmed that both the tank and heating element were stainless steel and no aluminum comes in contact with the water. That alone is worth the price of the brewer to me and a great selling point.
I have measured the temperature in the stream as it goes into the cup. It has reached 190 to 200 degrees if the pot was left plugged in for a few hours before brewing and heating 8oz. of water. If the pot has been unplugged for some time and cold water has been added, it may be 175 degrees to 185 degrees in the stream. The temp in the cup is always at least 170 degrees. Pods seem to be on the hotter temp range and the K-Cups tend to be the ones losing the most heat into the cup. I generally only brew once or twice a day, so I plug and unplug as needed. If the unit has been unplugged, when you do plug it in you have to wait for it to heat the water. I just timed it for you. It takes 3 minutes and 40 seconds to heat 16oz. of cold water (Yes- You can add 16oz.). It then takes about 1 minute and 40 seconds to put that 16oz. in your cup. If the brewer has been plugged in for and hour or two,it is already heated even when you add the water, it then only takes about 40 seconds to brew/get into your cup.
It should really have an on off switch, if only on the cord. Other than that I love it. I have used many different brands of K-Cups and a few different pods thru it and have never had a problem.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...