From the Back Cover
A thorough tutorial and detailed reference to the analytical language of data warehousing
Understanding MDX is crucial for anyone designing or implementing a database in Microsoft's products. This informative book serves as both a tutorial and a reference guide by teaching you how to use MDX to access and analyze data for decision support. The standard language and Microsoft's own extensive additions to MDX are thoroughly explained. After the overview of the MDX language is presented, the author plunges into the tutorial, offering practical examples of MDX in use. He shows various techniques using MDX to access data and calculate results, and covers the more advanced techniques of aggregation, query templates, and MDX optimization.
This unrivaled book includes:
* Explanations of each MDX feature
* Simple and sophisticated applications
* Details of building and executing MDX queries
* Introduction to Visual Basic programming techniques using MDX
* Instructions for building and using client-side local cubes
* Detailed reference appendices for MDX operators, functions, and related connection settings
The accompanying CD-ROM includes:
* Samples of MDX expressions, queries, and local cubes
* MDXBuilder trial software
* Visual Basic sample code
Wiley Computer Publishing
Timely. Practical. Reliable.
Visit our Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/
About the Author
GEORGE SPOFFORD (email@example.com) is Chief Architect of the DSS Lab, where he is a consultant and software engineer specializing in design, implementation, and evaluation of OLAP-based DSS systems and related tools. He coauthored Microsoft OLAP Solutions (also from Wiley) and has extensive experience applying Microsoft's analysis tools. Working on OLAP technologies since 1988, he has also developed OLAP clients and servers, including Power Thinking Tools' FreeThink. He earned a Microsoft MVP award for his contributions to the OLAP user community.