Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on November 6, 2012
#1 The board allows you to stack another board on top of it. The row next to the standard pin location is connected to the pin row. This allows you to use whatever pins you want and leave the rest alone which may pass on to the card you stack on top. This is true for even the double row of digital pins on the end. Their duplicate is the white strip.

#2 The double row connected in the middle is positive and negative. You select 3.3v or 5v by soldering in a jumper.

#3 TWI/I2C has 4 connections in addition to the standard connections on pins 20 & 21.

#1 is the most important and I couldn't find any other board like it.
on May 19, 2014
I searched high and low for a good mega shield. The sainsmart one had too few holes and even took space up for their logo. Sparkfun just cost too much. And you never know what the cheap Chinese ones will be like. This one has the all of the pins broken out to both standard 100mil spacing on the inside and "arduino" on the outside so you can stack standard perf board on top. There are thick ground and power rails with selectable voltage, ISCP and reset button is broken out (in a mildly inconvenient place) and there is even a spot with every thing you need to hook up four I2C devices. The bad side is that the solder pads on the bottom are a little small and do not take up the solder as well. The feet of the button above the power jack also touches, I just left mine unpopulated. And mine also came with a mystery 1x6 pin female header that doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the board.
on August 5, 2014
Excellent prototyping board for the Arduino MEGA r3 board. It comes with an extra 6 pin header so it can be used with the original version Arduino MEGA as well. All the headers are stackable, including the ICSP and DIO double row headers at the end of the board.

As can be seen by the picture be prepared to solder the headers and reset switch in place. the board appears well made
on September 17, 2013
I have bought several of these after breadboarding a number of circuits with the first. They will form the sensor I/O star around a LAMP configured Raspberry Pi whose purpose will only be buffering of data if necessary, and the Xmission of data to the main server.
on March 27, 2013
I agree with all the other reviews. This is an excellent board and much better than the board available from Sparkfun, which I own. The only reason I am removing a star is because it was missing the jumper.

I would have liked a component list printed with the package.
on May 27, 2014
this is my second of these proto shields, I've not used this one yet, the other one was excellent, easy to mount all my wiring in and made of excellent material, works great
on February 10, 2013
This is by far the most convenient shield for the Arduino Mega that I've seen.

Instead of just a raw board (which would also be ok), there are several great features, such as an I2C bus area, a general purpose switch, and the DIP area. I had trouble finding a spot for some of my larger components (they would cross the VCC/GND bus or some other reserved pin), but ultimately everything fit. More importantly, fitting these components in around the features is a very small price to pay for the enormous convenience gained by all those well thought out hard wirings.

So with all those features, how many components can it realistically fit? On this single shield, I now have a GPS receiver, 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis rotation rate sensor, magnetometer, altimeter, data logger (all on breakout boards), a piezo speaker, and 2x5 pin connector drawn to 10 of the Arudino's pins, and I still could fit a level shifter and a small SMD component. I can't really expect more on a prototyping board.

Even if I had a stack of other types of Mega shields just sitting on my desk, I'd still buy this shield to save myself all the little headaches. Great board.
on February 16, 2015
Just as advertised: all MEGA pins make it to the shield, including SDA and SCL as found on UNOs, allowing the easy use of UNO-sized shields that use these.
on December 14, 2012
Mega Shield to go between the Itead 3.2" display and shield and a Mega.
It makes all the free port connections available under the display.
on September 1, 2015
The holes separation are not standard, so there are many things that can not be done on the protoboard. The other thing is that the pins that connect to the Arduino have to be soldered from the bottom, if you are not an experience solderer the soldering will avoid a good contact with the Arduino. Finally I had to discard it .
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse