Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on April 16, 2011
This holiday collection features two bona fide classics ('March of the Wooden Soldiers' and 'The Bishop's Wife'-- 5 stars each) and a curiosity (Frank Capra's overblown 1961 remake of his own 1933 classic 'Lady for a Day'-- 3 stars). All three are worth owning and, as individual releases seem to appear and disappear with some frequency, this is an easy, economical way to have them. Note that Amazon's specs are incorrect, however, in that this set actually features two discs, one containing 'Pocketful of Miracles' and a flipper with the other two films.
11 comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2011
I bought this set for the Bette Davis movie, and didn't expect first-rate reproduction for the other two early films, but had seen an excellent version of this title, available on DVD. However, what I got was garish color, with an unpleasant graininess which made watching the movie painfully uncomfortable after having seen a beautifully produced copy. What a shame, to ruin such a fine film classic. The Bishop's Wife, on the other hand, was quite acceptable, so the purchase was not entirely a loss.
22 comments21 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2011
I bought this DVD in order to get The Bishop's Wife, which is a great movie with a stellar cast. This is a great DVD!
on December 11, 2011
As I bought this collection primarily for "Pocketful of Miracles", I was very dissappointed in the quality from MGM to say the least. I bought this collection over the single copy available due to a more recent year of release. I was hoping for anamorphic widescreen (No side bars). Not only was it the old widescreen edition (not adapted for Widescreen TVs), but the extreme graininess, and I am not exagerating when I say EXTREME, as well as the overall poor color made it unwatchable!! It hurts to see a Billy Wilder classic with Bette Davis that deserves better distributed like this. Please, If anyone knows of a good quality pressing of this movie let me know. Don't waist even $6.99 on this collection!! You've been warned!
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2011
I bought this collection for "The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. This movie is so much better than the remake! I haven't viewed the other movies yet.
I bought this movie collection for my elderly Mom for Christmas. Last count over the past two months was that she's watched The Bishop's Wife about 15 times. When she finds something she likes, she will wear it out. I also enjoyed watching the movie with her and thought that the picture quality was great quality on her HD TV. I am always glad when I can buy her something she will enjoy and this one was a plus. This is a great holiday collection and the quality appeared very good. You can't do better than Cary Grant as the angel in the Bishop's Wife, all performances in the movie are great. The other movies included are just icing on the cake.
77 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
Our family has a long tradition of always watching a particular set of movies whenever the Christmas season arrives. As such, we've slowly been trying to acquire digital copies of all our holiday favorites to replace our aging VHS collection. One of those movies is The Bishop's Wife. While looking around for prices on a DVD copy of the movie, I was surprised to see listed on Amazon the DVD of that single movie for about three times the price of this box set. Not being one for special features, I thought it looked like an excellent deal, and it was. I can't speak for the other movies in the set but I have no complaints as to The Bishop's Wife. I'm sure that there is sufficient room for improvement, but after being used to the VHS edition, I'm more than happy with this version, especially when considering the price and that it will most likely only be enjoyed around the Christmas season. This single movie alone makes the collection well worth the price.

Also, the only special feature for The Bishop's Wife is the inclusion of the theatrical trailer, which I am quite glad for as it was also included with the VHS edition I'd enjoyed for so many years.
on January 14, 2012
I purchased this MGM Movie Collection to get 'The Bishops Wife (with Cary Grant, Lorrett Young and David Niven PLUS a bunch of supporting actors). To me its the best of Christmas past and a great story. The CD shipped on time and even arrived a day early. No issue no problems. The other two movies were OK. March of the Wooden Soldiers is really a Laural & Hardy vehicle with some big name stars of the day. And Pocketful of Miricles is a very predictalbe story that is meant to pull at your heart strings with Betty Davis and Glenn Ford.

All in all its a great Christmas CD.
on September 8, 2011
I received this video very quickly and in perfect condition. My 8 year old granddaughter has become bored with my current crop of kids videos so I tried this one out on her. She likes The Bishop's Wife but lost interest in the other two films. I like them though.
on April 7, 2013
Hey you can't go wrong with these movies all three are top notch movies that can be watched anytime. L&H movie is still funny but it does drag on when they decide to add "musical Merryment" to the movie. Bishop's Wife a soft movie with Loretta Young and Cary Grant and a great supporting cast who do a wonderful job in making this a feel good Christmas movie with a nice message included. Pocketfull of Miracles is a good movie probably made three times before, but I just can't remember what the names of this movie are. Those of us who have hear or seen other movies of Damon Runyon's stories will appreciate the old New York when the crooks were named "Dave the Dude", "Horse face Harry", "Broadway" Mr. Runyon's stories brought insight in to the class warfare in the 20's, 30's and probably into the early "40's". I.e. making fun of what was though by many to be the thing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse