5.0 out of 5 stars The first episode on disk 3 may not be the right one
Great DVD set. Loved it. The other reviewers have done a fine job. I am bringing another issue to light for you.

Published on November 3, 2008 by John Kitchen

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!! Bad Disk Manufacturing Problem!
Published on January 13, 2008 by D. Raziq

5.0 out of 5 stars The first episode on disk 3 may not be the right one, November 3, 2008
John Kitchen "jfk9999" (Westborough, Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)

When you receive this DVD set, and play the first episode on disk 3, you may think you saw this episode when watching a previous disk. If so, you received one of the old release DVD sets. You probably bought it from an Amazon affiliate such as "mnmsales", not Amazon direct. This is what I did as recently as August 2008.

Warner Home Video will fix this problem for you at no charge a lot faster than mnmsales will. Warner recalled the defective set way back in January 2008, replacing it with a different UPC. Why mnmsales is selling this recalled stock beats me, but they are not answering my email request for a replacement.

If your disk 3 is affected, call 1-800-553-6937 and Warner will arrange to ship you a replacement disk 3 and a reply-paid envelope to return the bad one. I guess if you don't return the bad disk they will want money for the new one which is fair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, August 17, 2009
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)
I first discoverd MI-5 on my local PBS station. It was on Thursday nights. I needed the background and to catch up. I have subsequently bought all 5 volumes and have just ordered vol 6. The ending of Vol 5 was so riveting I searched all over my area, unsuccessfully, to find a place to rent episode 1 of vol 6 so I could know how our MI5 spooks managed a major crisis of critical proportions. I confess, and maybe some other Spooks junkies will confess the same, but when I received the series dvd's I watched 10 hours in a row with minor breaks for essentials, finally quitting at 3AM. This series is absolutely knockout. One reviewer wrote being a bit put off by the variety of villains there are in the world coming from all nations with all beleifs. Is it possible? You decide. All I can say is that if you want to be entertained with great writing with strong character development that puts its characters in absolutely unbelievable situations, accompanied by outstanding acting, go for MI-5. 24 is great, but this series will knock your socks off.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Why Reveal Spoiler"??, April 3, 2008
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)
I have been very excited about purchasing Season 5. However, this is the last time I'll read a review on anything here, because of the review of "Aunt Holly". Holly, when you review something, please don't feel the need to reveal major plot points just because you have seen them happen, thereby spoiling the potential enjoyment of same by someone who hasn't. It's the basic modicum of internet civility.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!! Bad Disk Manufacturing Problem!, January 13, 2008
I LOVE this show but the wait for the DVDs can be so long. So finally this volume shows up in the states and one of the disks doesn't work. Its the same problem other reviewers have had: disk 3 doesn't work or if you can access it, it has a duplicate episode (from the disk 2) and then is missing the next episode in the series, a crucial one that involves a permanent change in the show! None of the other disks have the episode and I have returned 2 of these box-sets so I would say this is definitely a manufacturing problem. Sooo: good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars MI-5 the Best, September 15, 2009
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)
MI-5 is the best crime drama currently on the air. It has been compaired with "24" for style and content, but, MI-5 is more intelligent and believable and better acted. They have carried this style of TV drama to the next level. From an American point of view, it is interesting to get another country's point of view on international terrorism. Also, to get another country's opinion of America (the neighborhood bully). This holds true for all episodes, they are well done in all facets of drama, producing, directing, staging and acting!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing Episode 5, January 12, 2008
Disk 3 loaded in the player, but then reverted to a blank screen with the message BAD DISK. I was able to view the disk by going into the episodes, only to discover that Episode 5 is missing entirely (disk 3 overlaps with disk 2). This is obviously a manufacturing defect. Anyone else encounter the same problem?
That said, the remaining episodes are superb, the best yet in MI-5/Spooks series.

4.0 out of 5 stars MI-5 takes it up a notch., April 23, 2011
Amazon Customer (Des Moines, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I had no technical issues as did other reviewers. My set-up is streaming over Wi-Fi (N) to a Sony Blu-Ray that supports Amazon On Demand.

I'm uncertain as to why Season five is listed under Prime and charges .99 per episode. As far as I can tell it's the only season that doesn't fall under the package deal.

So about the actual episode. Really great. MI5 has become one of my favorite shows. And this episode is one of the reasons why. Constant introduction of new (and potentially dangerous) characters, plot twists, plots with-in plots. Unexpected deaths. This episode does has it all. Oh and it was a great follow-up to the previous seasons close.

I'm not being specific as I don't want to reveal anything. It would be hard to say much without doing so. I will say that it wouldn't hurt to do a little home-work on Djakarta. I took a look at Wikipedia and searched Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine - The later proved to be of greater relevance. Come to think of it this episode, and I presume the next, will conclude to be fantastic illustration of the pieces in play in Shock Doctrine. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars UK version vs. American edited version, December 24, 2007
I'm glad to see that series 5 is being released soon. Due to financial reasons (couldn't afford cable and pay other bills) I have not seen series 4 or 5. I am in a better money position now and am planning to catch up what I've missed with these dvd sets. One huge advantage to having the dvds is that you get the whole episode as it was shown in the UK. A&E and BBCAmerica edit the episodes down by about 10-12 mins to fit the American tv format (commercials). During the editing process, some of the action/back story that happens is cut and it leaves you wondering why a character acts or does something a certain way. Now I'll be able to see the whole episode as originally edited and shown.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Threat Of Terroristic Catastrophes, February 23, 2009
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)
MI-5- the Spooks, the intelligence branch of the British Government has always had a glamorous aspect to it from the American side. Afterall these are the best of the UK. Following the BBC series brings the reality home to us. Yes, they all carry guns and are faced with danger every day, but there is a lot of daily 'grunt' work involved.

Harry Pearce, played by Peter Firth is the Head of the Counter Terrorism Department. He is the constant in this seriesl. He is one of the few, so far, that has not been killed off. He is the consummate professional that pulls the team back to reality. He is also ready to give up a member of the team if need be. He is the father of the group and each team member is part of his family.

Adam Carter, played bt Rupert Penny Jones, is the MI-5 Senior Case Leader. He is a formidable character- ready to lead his team into danger to keep the UK free. He is suffering from PTSD because of his wife's death. It appears from the signals in the series that we should be prepared for Adam's demise. He has had too many close calla. Rupert is the mainstay of this series and he is a fave.

Ros Myers, played by Hermoine Norris is the heroine of the MI-5. Cold, ruthless and beautiful, we know that Ros is lonely and this exterior she portrays has a great deal of hurt underneath.

Malcom Wynn-Jones, played by Hugh Simon plays the technician and data analyst. He is another mainstay of MI-5. He is the one that provides most of the information needed and is the person who is most responsible for keeping the MI-5 team alive.

The rest of the team, walk in and out of the series. We just get to know them and they are killed in one manner or another. This series is remarkable in that death of a character is as much a part of reality as introducing someone new.

Volume 5 starts with a terrorirst attack on the oil and gas depots. Moves on to the loss of one of the most lovable characters, to an enviornmental group threatening to flood London. Throughout the series, Harry Pearce defends and delivers his MI-5 team to their highest acheievements. This is the series set that deals with terrorism. MI-5 is always current, the events of the world end up in this Spooks series. The United States oftne comes across as devious and deceitful- well, why not, look at our past eight years and our leaders. But the UK takes its own hits and all the thorns seem to come undone. This series also introduced us to the persomal side of the team, and their empotional and family upheavels.

Highly Highly Recommended. prisrob 02-22-09

Born of Fire

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional Season, July 17, 2008
NYC critic "Mac" (NEW YORK, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MI-5: Vol. 5 (DVD)
The first two episodes are worth the price of admission alone. Much more engaging and intelligent than the usual American dreck. "24" should learn from this show.

MI-5: Vol. 5
MI-5: Vol. 5 by Omar Madha (DVD - 2008)
$59.98 $38.93