Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MIU France Polished Stainless Steel Funnel with Strainer
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 14, 2008
I've used this funnel to pour a gallon of used fryer oil back into a container, and it works very well. The holes are small enough to catch unwanted solid matter, but does so a good deal faster than using cheesecloth. Much easier to clean up, too.

A couple of things about this funnel you can't tell from the product description and photos: 1) there is actually a very small indentation on the neck of the funnel which lets air escape to keep liquids flowing quickly, and 2) there are 2 spring-like prongs attached to the bottom of the strainer which hold the strainer firmly in place inside the funnel.

This is a great product, and worth the money to replace the awkward cheesecloth / mesh strainer / too small funnel setup I had hacked together before.
on December 13, 2012
I purchased a Brooklyn Brew beer-making kit for my boyfriend, and Amazon warns that the kit comes with everything except a pot, funnel, and strainer. So it offers this funnel/strainer as a good item to pair with the kit. Though it works fine as a funnel, the strainer that comes with this funnel is NOT the kind that you will need as part of your beer-making process. You will need a much larger fine mesh strainer, and if I'm being honest, a larger funnel would probably be best too.

For what it is, it works fine, which is why I'll give it a few stars, but for those who think buying this + a beer making kit is all you need to brew beer, that is not the case.
on November 29, 2012
To begin, I'm reasonably certain this is the exact same funnel as this: Norpro 5 1/2-Inch Stainless Steel Funnel with Detachable Strainer Knowing this, I wish I'd have purchased the Norpo because it's a buck fifty cheaper. :-)

The first funnel I received was poorly machined and had metal splinters sticking out of the end of it (one of which wound up in my finger when I washed it). Not sure how this managed to leave the factory in that condition. I returned it.

The replacement arrived in a snap. Kudos to Amazon for the quick shipment and excellent customer service. This funnel didn't have the metal splinters hanging off of the end of it though, so...bonus. Other than that it's a decent funnel. The screen seats solidly with no gaps and I like that it won't accidentally come loose when liquid splashes into it, which occasionally happens with my wide-mouth funnel: Kuchenprofi 18/10 Stainless Steel Funnel with Filter. It's not a fine screen though, so large particles can and will pass through easily. The ring is comfortable, better than the Kuchenprofi, and works well to hold the funnel steady.

As you may see in the photos I posted above, this funnel has a crease/channel that runs about 3/4 of the way up the tube. This is described in the Norpro funnel description this way: "Creased steam allows air to escape for easy filling." Basically it is there to allow air to flow so that a vacuum won't form if you rest the funnel on a container. This is a great idea in theory but not in practice. I used the funnel to transfer ginger beer into bottles. When the funnel rests in the neck of the bottle a vacuum is still created which slows the transfer of liquids. Probably because the crease doesn't seem to go up high enough to do anything about that. I'm also a little concerned about cleanup. Finally, the crease looks like crap aesthetically.

Speaking of aesthetics, the interior of the funnel is not polished. It's brushed stainless.
review image review image
on June 2, 2008
I bought this because it is stainess steel and it has a long spout (?) on the bottom. I didn't even think about the large capacity it has and the strainer. Turns out I'd like the long spout to be even longer (though it works fine for my application), and I love the large quantity it holds. The strainer is very useful and pulls out easily for cleaning. Great product.

UPDATE: 6/21/2012
I loved my original purchase so much that I bought another for a separate application. The new funnel is 4.25" across whereas the first purchased funnel was 5" across. The depth of both funnels remains 2" and the spout is also 2". I am surprised at the shrinkage. However, it is still a great funnel. The stainless steel is heavyweight and if your application involves food, stainless is a must.
on November 25, 2012
I wanted this for brewing but it is way too small to use for large amounts of liquid, even for one gallon batches.
on January 4, 2013
This is a nice sturdy stainless steel funnel that I purchased to drain used frying oil into a container for re-use. It works great but I wish the bowl were larger...it doesn't hold very much. However, the oil drains through pretty rapidly so I can just keep pouring slowly and drain my fryer faily quickly. The oil is free of sediment after using the strainer.
on November 28, 2012
This is a great funnel and it's well made. I was hoping it would fit into woozy bottles (hot sauce bottles) but it is slightly too large for that. I have used it for many other purposes though and am happy with the quality. I think it will last many, many years.
on November 13, 2012
I originally bought this for oil making and straining petals/flower buds/etc i now use this for really I need strained- art projects, cooking, anything. The strainer can be removed and used in smaller or bigger funnels a big plus.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2010
My old funnel had mysteriously disappeared. I suspected the cat but found no evidence to support my supposition. The old funnel was plastic but stainless steel is much more appealing, durable, and healthy. I have had no need to use the strainer, but this new funnel works just fine shuttling extra virgin olive oil from the 1/2 gallon tin to the spouted bottle. Bravo. Here's to simplicity.
on September 12, 2009
I really love the design of this funnel, the neck allows for easy pouring and the strainer allows for multiple applications from liquids to sauces. I would highly recommend this funnel.