5.0 out of 5 stars It looked good on the PS3 it's jaw-dropping on the PS4
Published 7 months ago by Chuck Bittner

3.0 out of 5 stars This game is great...minus the online
Published 7 months ago by Dave Scoular

5.0 out of 5 stars It looked good on the PS3 it's jaw-dropping on the PS4, May 6, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I'm a huge baseball fan I love everything about the sport especially the psychological a.k.a. head games between the pitchers and batters. I bought this game on PS3 so I can be used to the controls as I've never really played The Show before. The PS3 version came out a month before this and it looked incredible but the PS4 version is truly next-generation Graphics and it looks amazing.

Now if you're new gamer to the series and baseball in general you can basically play with the simple control layout (When you first start the game you can choose simple controls or you can adjust it in the options menu) which is simply pressing the X button to swing and then also pitch. Because I'm a disabled gamer and I play with my face (can't use my hands or fingers) it is what I use and it's quite effective & fun. My first full game I threw a one hitter with Jon Lester it was super fun. Also if your new person in the series the home run Derby is a great experience also. You play against random people on the Internet or your friends in a head-to-head home run Derby. My first home run Derby I only hit four home runs then my next one I hit almost twenty.

Now I've never try the advanced control but with my disability I would not be able do it. But if you're somebody good like more aggressive control over the players on the field the options are totally there.

I was always impressed by the PS3 graphics for the show but seeing the dense in the Fenway wall and the epic beards on players. It really is amazing and this is just a glimpse of what this next generation of consoles is going to provide us with as to eye candy.

And the crowds they look lifelike. The PS4 version allows; I believe for 10 times the individual fans over the PS3 version and it really adds to the immersion of being a ballpark. If the little subtleties like this that make this game a must buy for any real baseball fan. And again if you're somebody who's new to baseball I think you can jump into this and you won't be too overwhelmed.

A few other cool things you may not know. With this version of the show all your saved game data will be accessible by any versions you get later on. Saw your progress will transfer from game to game. Also you can update current rosters and I believe you can even play current games a.k.a. I can play with the Red Sox verse whoever they're really playing this week.

To me that is a great feature and really adds to the feeling of the show.

Will I hope this helps thank you for reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars This game is great...minus the online, May 13, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
Let me start by saying that I love the Show franchise and this was the deciding factor in me buying a PS4 instead of an XB1. I've been looking forward to this game for months and even waited it out until the 4 instead of getting it on the 3 first. I will say that I LOVE this game. I've been playing for hours with just the exhibition mode against my roommate and buddies and it's been great. The crowds are great and the players look fantastic. I was worried about how I'd like the new quick counts system, but it actually works very well.

All that said, the online system is completely broken and feels unusable. When you're pitching or on defense, it feels like there is nothing wrong and is fairly good framerate wise. This is completely the opposite of when you are hitting or running the bases. There's a reason that I look down my friends list and see people batting under .200 and these are people that aren't new to the series. Because of the skipping, your hitting timing is just random and if you get on base, you're lucky, but not done. Once you get on base, what you see and what is actually happening with the baseball is different. You might see the ball still in the outfield, but a frame later it's in the second baseman's glove for the tag at second.

My only other big complaint is the loading times. Come on guys, let us put another 50 gbs or something on the system to cut down on those. We can all put bigger hard drives in our system, if it's reasonable, I'd rather cut down on load times than file size.

I had really high hopes for this game and I love RTTS, exhibition, and the weekly challenges, I have yet to try Diamond Dynasty or Franchise Mode, but I'd imagine they are fairly strong. Hopefully they'll fix the issues with the online play soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excels visually over PS3 version but introduces even longer loading times, May 13, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
MLB 14: The Show on the PlayStation 3 didn't end up being the complete product that was MLB 13. Not surprisingly the game received less than the typical publicity at the time since many were waiting on the PS4 version for this year with higher hopes considering the capabilities of the new system. While it has retained all the same features, promises were really never made that it would do anything more than improve on the graphics of the earlier version.

In that regard the game has succeeded and it's easy to recommend for those who didn't already buy the PS3 version or who haven't played the series in a number of years. However it also carries with it the same issues and deficiencies plus considerably longer load times. Continue on for a look at where MLB 14: The Show on the PS4 has succeeded and where it has faltered in this Hits and Misses review.

POSITIVES

Gameplay and Authenticity : Every year these two areas top the merit list and that remains the case here. There are some lapses - on the PS4 the strikezone may be misaligned, SCEA did not implement rules changes like the reviews and manager challenges, and the commentary desperately needs to be redone - but otherwise it's an exceptionally realistic experience to play. The Dynamic Camera adds some suspense and satisfaction to hitting and the new Dynamic Difficulty is worth considering and growing with. Touches like occasionally seen new animations, ball boys, and the crowd are somewhat notable in differentiating from the PS3.

Visuals: Essentially the only major positive difference in moving up from the PS3 version of MLB 14 comes with the visuals. Everything is sharper and better defined, the daytime lighting is significantly enhanced, and the crowd plays a bigger role with greater diversity. Player models do need more variety, there continues to be a lack of collision detection, the lighting at night has an issue with pitch dark backdrops outside the stadium, and some framerate drops occur during scenes. Still it's a fantastic looking game as a whole and has to be considered along with NBA 2K14 as the best sports games graphically in their first attempts with the new generation of systems.

Player Lock: Somewhat overshadowed by another time-saving feature, Player Lock has proven to be a great addition to the series. Player Lock allows for taking control of a single player during a game and simulating the rest. It has proven most valuable for Franchise or Season modes where it provides some influence on the games while dramatically reducing the necessary time invested in them. That is much better than just simming through a chunk of the schedule.

The number of options is what makes Player Lock so great. Users can switch who they're controlling at any point in a game - going from one player to another or even taking over the full team in the traditional manner. It's a little confusing though how to take advantage of all the options and most people probably don't even know they exist. Player Lock may not be a feature that would suit other sports games but it fits perfectly for baseball.

Road to the Show: The best pure Career mode in sports gaming has been improved upon again. Road to the Show is more enjoyable due to the removal of "goals" with production being what matters instead. The training games have also been adjusted to be more fair and elements like the ability to see standing within an organization are great to follow and assess.

Load times are still especially detrimental in RTTS. As a relief pitcher it seems often that more time is spent loading into games than actually playing them. The ability to migrate saves to MLB 15 will reap rewards next year, though that feature may create concern over whether a mode many are starting to find stale will ever be able to evolve properly because of it.

Community Challenges: The new Community Challenges represent a fun and unique diversion from the other main modes in the game. Users create their own scenarios for others to attempt and complete. Many of them are just a single play which makes the feature something that can be messed around with when time is limited. There's even a wagering aspect to it utilizing the "Stubs" currency that adds even more of an addictive nature to them. It's a neat experience to go through and play but the loading times between each attempt again stand out and are amplified considerably on the PS4.

NEGATIVES

Online Play/Online Franchise: The Show has always been among the worst online experiences in sports gaming. MLB 13 was far from perfect but it showed dramatic improvement yet MLB 14 on the PS3 was nothing short of a disaster. There disconnects and lag have been prevalent in online games and visual oddities have not only taken away from enjoyment but made it even more difficult to make adjustments that may have been possible in the past. Online Co-Op was even removed without telling anyone prior to release.

The online for the PS4 version is better but still far from being adequate. Games are at least being completed, and the lag isn't cripping, so there is some level of satisfaction. It's an awfully low bar being cleared here though. Batting averages are anemic and strikeouts abnormally high. That can be primarily attributed to the visual inconsistencies and Quick Counts being used by some.

Online Franchise was promoted as one of the big additions for the year but it's best not even considered among the features of the game. Some good design decisions were made but it's completely unreliable and ends up simply being a waste of time. Games against other users may not be completed and games against the CPU are often "not processed correctly" meaning the results are never reported and it's as though the hour spent playing never happened. Fantasy Drafts are the same way - hours are being spent on those only for them to never advance successfully. It's too much of a risk for anyone to attempt investing time in the mode and those that do will justifiably avoid it after getting burned once or twice.

Loading Times: As shown in the earlier testing, not only has the anticipated reduction in loading times not been realized, but they are much worse than the already lethargic PS3 version. In some cases it takes three to four times as long to load into a game. Server slowdown also hampers modes like Online Franchise and Diamond Dynasty causing simple actions to drag considerably.

Quick Counts: As opposed to Player Lock the new Quick Counts feature doesn't deliver on its promises. Producing counts that more often than not seem to place two strikes on batters and three balls on pitchers, too much of the strategy and situational decision-making inherent in baseball is removed and it teaches poor habits to those just learning how to play a simulation baseball game. The feature might still be worth considering if it saved a significant amount of time like it was promoted as doing. However it really doesn't - taking what might be an hour played traditionally down an average of only 12 minutes after having completed multiple tests that featured comparable circumstances.

SUMMARY

Isolated on its own, MLB 14: The Show on PS4 is best evaluated as an excellent offline game that delivers on what the series has always been known for. The online play, and heavily promoted online-related features that essentially don't function, remain a concern for those who place value in it while the presentation package and commentary in particular desperately need new life.

Consumers that own the PS3 version will find little reason to upgrade, and for anyone uncertain about having the desire to play a baseball game this might not be the best entry point. There are so many features and options that even the grizzled veterans of the series struggle to know where they all are or how they work.

Everyone else will again find an excellent representation of baseball that is rich in content from Road to the Show, to Franchise, to the various mini-games all benefiting from the improved graphics. And while it might not seem to matter now, next year the progress being made with MLB 14 won't have to be all thrown away due to the ability to migrate saves to future editions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Baseball Game, With Little Flaws (8.5 out of 10 on point scale), May 31, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I should let the readers of this review know something before getting started: I am not a huge sports fan (in terms of gaming). I never really cared for the Madden franchise (I do plan on trying Madden 25 again, but to be honest that game disappointing me last I played it), I have never played FIFA, NHL, MLB, and 2K franchises, really relying on the NCAA football games for my sports needs in gaming. I am a lover of platformers, of shooters, of RPGs, of all games really, but the one section of gaming I never got too deep into was sports games. Well, I think I might be changing that soon, at least when it comes to the MLB: The Show series.

Going into this title, I had no clue how to play a baseball game, and yet this game give much to a beginner to be able to play decently quickly. Batting can be a little tough, but once you get use to the specific styles of pitching and where the batters box is, it gets a little easier. Pitching is fantastic, making me feel like a god on the mound most times. Personally, I loved pitching most of all in this game, but really the game plays extremely well, realistically, and very fun. Overall, the gameplay in this title is solid, fun, and easy to learn, hard to master (which makes for a great challenge).

The animations, graphics, and looks in the game are also another huge plus. The game looks fantastic; blades of grass, the individual stadiums, and so on all look amazing. Each player has been modeled almost to a T, looking almost exactly like their real life selves, and they nailed how each pitcher, batter, and player operates when it comes to their personal styles. The uniforms look great, the bats and gloves look detailed, and the attendants in the stadiums are actually quite detailed and look like separate people (most times) from one another, and have fun animations to see.

After playing with the Franchise mode and the Road to the Show mode, I can easily say the Road portion of this title is the best of the game. Not only do you create your own character, but you create your ideal perfect player to watch. It is fun, exhillerating, and can be frustrating (in a good way) when trying to make the best of the best possible. The Franchise mode is also quite fun, but it is just like most other sports games I suppose when coming to a Dynasty mode.

This game is fantastic and fun, and I personally loved it, but it isn't without flaws.

This game has issues with loading times. I mean, the loading times were long enough to where I could go take out the garbage and come back in time to play, or go to the bathroom. They were long (not horribly long, but long enough to be boring and annoying after a point). I often wonder if there could be a means to make the load times better (not so much eliminate them as much as make the time better used), such as possible film of baseball great moments, or video of developers playing the game and kicking butt so to have the players who are waiting able to watch something that should excite them, such as a Grand Slam video clip or a film clip of a pitcher pulling of a no hitter game. These options could be hard to do, and I understand that, I personally wonder if there are means to making the loading times better by not so much eliminating them, but making them more fun or bearable. Overall, the loading times were not horrible, but they were a major factor the the game not being perfect by any means.

My one other complaint is the sound. The game sound amazing in game, with the audio and the announcers being solid, the sound effects are fantastic, and really everything in terms of actually playing is awesome. However, the soundtrack is limited, and gets very repetitive. Don't get me wrong, this is a very small portion of the game to really see in-depth, but it is a noticeable annoyance that I wished the creators would have gotten a few more songs to add variety to the soundtrack that was already great, but needed more breathing room in songs. Also, the game could have used more frequent announcer audio of previous games (I would have liked them to happen almost every other song, I liked the audio but I noticed that they started to repeat a lot as well). This is the only other flaw that bugged me, and it is something that I think could be fixed by patches pretty easily.

Overall, I loved playing this game, and despite the long loading times and the frequent loading times, along with the lack of tracks and audio in circulation in the game, this game is a very solid game to play and very enjoyable. I recommend playing this if you are either a baseball fan or interested in trying a sports title that is fun and easy to get into. Enjoy the review, thank you for reading, and let me know if you have questions or concerns that I could address!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for husbad, May 20, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
Graphics are pretty impressive on this game. My husband loves it...maybe a little too much. Occupy's a lot of time! Guess that means its a good game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A shining example of why I chose PS4 ..., May 15, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I am not even a fan of baseball; I find it quite boring as a spectator, to be honest. But I am a big sports fan. And because of that, it played a role in my decision between Xbox One and PS4. I chose PS4, obviously, and it was greatly due to Sony having this franchise, MLB The Show, exclusively.

Now, I didn't own any of the recent MLB The Show games on PS3, so I can't really speak on just how much of a graphical leap MLB 14 for PS4 is over its PS3 counterpart. Nevertheless, I think this "next-gen" PS4 version is absolutely stunning & gorgeous visually, in its own right. It is definitely at the upper-echelon of best looking games for PS4.

The gameplay is incredibly amazing and fun. I was surprised at just how balanced this game is -- playing baseball videogames in the past, I only cared for batting. But in this game I actually find the pitching to be more fun! Overall the game just does a great job of simulating the pitch-for-pitch duel between pitcher and batter.

If Sony-San Diego (developers of this game) could actually make an NBA and NFL game (the latter currently impossible due to EA exclusivity), I would jump all over it like a 3-0 pitch right over the plate! In the meantime, I will be enjoying this fine game for a very long time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A few new cool features to same great game, May 8, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
What i loved about this game is the fact that they didn't try to totally revamp the game...on PS3 it was easily the best baseball game of all time an quite possibly the best sports game in general and they stuck to that game but added a couple cool features. One feature they added was the quick count. When i first heard about quick count i didn't think I would like it. However after I tried it I absolutely love it. It really speed up the games and gives each at bat a totally different strategy which keeps you on your toes.
This game was a big reason of choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One and because of it i dont regret my decision at all. Must buy for baseball fans and sport game fans in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Graphical Mixed Bag - Still Amazing, May 7, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I'm an every 2-3 season guy on sports games. This is the first iteration of the show I've purchased since 2010. As opposed to offering comparisons on years past, I want to offer those opinions based on the PS4 experience for the folks that are may be picking this game up for the first time or many years like myself because it's now "next-gen"

First and most discussed, the graphics. I have a very different opinion from many of the reviews. The player close ups are almost universally terrible. My 11yr old gave the best possible description; they look like clay. The much touted "hair" is simply awful. I've had the good fortune to attend 100's of games in several ballparks over the last decade and with regards to some of the stadiums I've spent time in, they are very good and close to their counterparts. The crowds are lively and there are many more "models" in the stands to make it feel real. The skylines however are not. When you catch a glimpse of the structures that were rendered outside of the stadiums for example, rudimentary 3d models are present. Minute Maid park for example, is completely missing the Houston skyline that rests just outside of the stadium walls. That is a huge part of the park's character.

The reason that these are important is becuase the game in motion is so fluid. The players on the field are amazing, the view from the second base while watching a pitcher engage a batter is absolutely amazing and very lifelike. Unfortunately, you can quickly be pulled out of those moments when there is a close up of a random player that may have black skin and a bushy blond beard like a Duck Dynasty reject. It truly is a mixed bag, some things are beautiful, some are just plain ugly.

I never play online sports, so I cannot comment on that. The best and quickest way to describe The Show from a gameplay standpoint is customizable. Virutally every single facet of control on the field is easily changed, manipulating rosters, player stats, game sliders; all quickly manipulated to find that sweet spot to make the game fun. It's also incredibly deep but completely playable if you just want to use a more basic control structure. The quickplay features are also terrific. A game that would have taken 90 minutes in MLB:10 can be done in 45. Still a time commiment, but better if you are trying to relax for an hour.

Finally, the modes. I really dug into the "Road to the Show" for the first time (since my home team Astros are historically bad) and all I can say is I'm hooked. Only playing the parts of the game with "my player" takes about 10 minutes. You get all of the stats and rotisserie info you could dream of and can play through a month's worth of games in a couple hours. It's the most fun I've had in a sports game in many years.

Overall, The Show is the best baseball game on the market. Even with graphical flaws, you simply will not find a more engaging and customizable MLB experience short of playing the game in real life. If you are looking for a graphics showcase for your PS4, NBA2k14 still is the benchmark...by a wide margin. For all things baseball, The Show is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, November 30, 2014
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I've owned this game since the end of June, and it's very hard to put down. I wasn't much of a baseball fan before purchasing this for my PS4, but I now enjoy learning about the mechanics of the game, and what makes each player unique. The graphics are stunning (playing this on a 40 inch LED), and the controls aren't too hard to adjust to. The only negative criticism that i'll slap on this title is that it's very hard to get traded on RTTS if you're a very productive/valuable player to your team. I'm a Mets fan in real life (not afraid to admit it lol) and i'm actually playing for them on RTTS, but I want to be traded. We're currently 11-29 with a pitching ERA close to 7 with the worst clutch hitters EVER!!! when players are in scoring position on 2nd and 3rd base. I'm having a blast with the game, but I hope in MLB 15, management wouldn't drag their feet in terms of getting rid of players that want out of their ball club.

5.0 out of 5 stars AS USUAL, THE SHOW DELIVERS!, May 8, 2014
MGV (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MLB 14: The Show (Video Game)
I have been playing this franchise for about 5 years now on the PS3. This year, when I got a PS4, I was mainly excited to see the difference between the two platforms for this game and others.

Before I review, I want to mention that I pre-ordered this game from Amazon to arrive on the day it came out. I came home and the game was not there. I called Amazon and they said the game had been lost in shipment somehow along with another item I ordered. I wasn't happy about it but they offered me a promotional credit for my troubles. I then cancelled the game and bought it at Target.

Now the game review:

VISUALS, PRESENTATION AND GRAPHICS - 8.5

The visuals are spectacular as far as the stadium, players, movements and other details go. The fans are much better than previous years with individual actions that are different from one fan to another. However, there is still some polishing to do for the fans as some do mimic each other and at times can look pixelated. Overall, the visuals however are terrific!

There are still some issues however with the color commentary adjusting to the actual game play. In one game, I had a batter feint like he was going to swing at a pitch and instead take the pitch for a strikeout. The announcer promptly proclaimed, "swing and a miss, he struck him out!". Hmmm? No swing was made.

GAME PLAY - 8

The game play is terrific and the new mode adjusting to your skill level as you play is a welcome add on for players who are unsure where to start. This keeps your first game from being too hard and too easy at the same time.

The controls are great as usual but seem a little more touchy when it comes to throwing the ball in from the outfield. It is very easy to cancel a throw on accident and very hard to make a good hard through. The base running is still not user friendly on assist mode in my opinion and I keep making myself go back to auto runners which is no fun but better than missing to advance almost every runner in assist mode or manual.

The batting controls, pitching controls, hitter's eye and other features are very well polished after many years of perfecting them and I see now issue with them whatsoever.

GAME MODES - 10

The RTTS mode is fantastic as usual with very detailed options. The Franchise mode is outstanding once again and I have a great time playing it with and without fantasy draft options. There are many details and actions as usual and the players seem smarter and more reactive to various contract offers and adjustments.

ONLINE - 9

Online is great, it's as good as it can be, however for this type of game, online isn't my favorite thing to do. I prefer offline Franchise mode.

OVERALL - 8.9

MLB 14: The Show
MLB 14: The Show by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 4)
$59.99 $28.99