5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality and a Fair Price
When I got my router, I needed some bits. Some folks think you should buy bits only as you need them, and to get top quality for each bit. That that costs about $25 per bit, and just doesn't make sense if there are more than two bits you KNOW you'll need.

So I bought this bit set and am very happy with it.

A couple words of warning:

1) The...
Published on December 2, 2007 by Smaug

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull
Published on February 14, 2010 by B. Seltzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality and a Fair Price, December 2, 2007
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MLCS 8377 15-Piece Router Bit Set with Carbide-Tipped 1/2-Inch Shanks (Tools & Home Improvement)

So I bought this bit set and am very happy with it.

A couple words of warning:

1) The first time you pull these bits out of their plastic sleeves, use a rag. They are in there a bit tight due to the anti-corrosive goop that's on them. If you aren't very careful, you will slice your finger BUT GOOD on the carbide parts as you pull on them.

2) Clean that goop off with alcohol. I used denatured alcohol, but common isopropyl will probably work too. You don't want to chuck these in your router with that goop on the shanks, as it will gum up the collet. You want to clean it off the rest of the bit too, so the bits are in balance.

The box that is included is quite nice. It is pine, with a high quality latch and nice box joints at the corners.

Anyway, it is a nice set, and I don't think you really get better quality than this for paying more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, May 11, 2007
I received this bit set as a Christmas present after putting them on my wish list. The reason I originally chose MLCS over some of the other competitors was an online review regarding various brands of router bits that were used to cut melamine using a CNC router machine. The object of the test was to find out how much stress the bits could take and to see how well the bits cut over an extended period of time. The MLCS bits did excellently in the review and were the most modestly priced among the bits tested. I don't know how scientific that review actually was -- BUT I can tell you that these bits have surpassed my expectations and cut very well. I am thrilled to use these bits in my plunge and fixed based routers. You will get your money's worth out of this set.

I do wish that this bit set came with a pattern bit or a spiral carbide bit, but that doesn't take away from this set's overall performance and value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every dollar, March 23, 2008
Sean (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I received a Dewalt router combo kit as a gift in December, but what the giver forgot is that a router is useless without router bits. I bought this set from MLCS based partially on reviews and more on price. I had read quite a bit about how you get what you pay for when it comes to router bits and how I should buy Freud or something similar, but I really don't have that kind of money to spend and, just like whole "fine woodworking" scene, it just seemed a little pretentious to spend that kind of cash. So I bought these and I couldn't be more pleased.

The set came in a well constructed case that very firmly held all the bits in place, avoiding any potential damage in shipping. The bits were coated in an oil or grease of some kind to protect them from rust that had to be cleaned off, but I'd rather have a rust free bit and spend a little extra time cleaning. All the bits I've used so far, 1/2", 1/4", flush trim, have worked great. And for the three bits I've used, I could have easily spent as much as the entire set on three individual bits from Freud.

Because of this bit set I have started looking at MLCS first for my additional router needs. I just ordered a router table plate from then for about half of what Rockler asks for theirs. All in all, I think MLCS and this router bit set are a great value in the expensive world woodworking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, February 14, 2010
B. Seltzer (California United States) - See all my reviews
The price is great, but the bits were too dull. I cleaned up and tested the 3/4 straight edge and then the 3/8 straight edge with the same results. On a fir 2x4 it was impossible to make a cut and not have large burn marks. Slower or faster, 3/16 deap cuts, etc. didnt make much difference. A Freud 0.5x2CL straight edge bit from HD for $22 cut the same wood with the same router with no problems. Others seem happy with this bit kit, so maybe I got an infrequent duller set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Price for Good Bits, January 25, 2009
Before starting this review it is important to understand that I am an absolute novice at using a router and have had little experience with different router bits. Router bits are expensive and a set saves a significant amount over buying them individually. I purposely selected the bits with a 0.5" shank because I was planning to use them on hardwood, specifically red oak. Since then I have seen several comments that the 0.5" shank produces cleaner results and are sturdier. These bits come in a nice wood storage box and are securely held in plastic sleeves. The set also comes with a diagram showing the type of cut they will make. So far I have tried 5 of the 15 bits - straight bit (3/8"), round over bit (3/8"), cove Bit (1/2"), roman ogee Bit (5/32"), and 45 deg chamfer bit. After using these bits I am impressed that they are sturdy and had absolutely no trouble cutting through oak. The cuts showed no sign of chatter and were all smooth and professional looking. I accidentally cut through a couple of nails with the straight bit with no apparent damage. Although I have little experience with other router bits, I would certainly recommend these and buy them again.

3.0 out of 5 stars The best starter set I found, hands down, September 24, 2009
D. Jackson (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
If you're buying a router for the first time and have no bits, this seems like an awesome, inexpensive starting point. It lets you get started at a reasonable price, and try a wide range of bits on a full-size 1/2" shank. The bits cut well, and get the job done.

I've had problems with two of them after some use, and would still recommend this as a starter set, but I won't be replacing the broken bits by buying the same set again. The 1/2" bit that follows a template, the bearing jammed, heated up immediately, and caused some problems (including one ruined bit). The 1/4" bit snapped off on me today, cutting a 1/2" deep groove along the grain on a pine board. (Got about 4" into the cut, then poof.)

Not thrilled with the steady self-destruction of bits, but very happy to get a good head start for not too much dough. As ones break, I'm replacing with a bit pricier tools, and I'm alright with that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for hard woods, July 27, 2012
I was given this set as a gift. I do quite a bit of work with red oak. I ran a piece of scrap stock with the 1/4" bit just to test it out. 2 inches into the piece, the bit literally shattered. Now I have had that happen once in a blue moon with name brand, worn down bits after several passes, but not on the first pass. I tried the 1/2" bit next and it made it through a 16" length of oak. OK, so the 1/4" bit was defective. I ran the same board through the same groove raising the bit 1/16". Midway through, the bit broke in half sending it ricocheting around the router table. I tested 2 or 3 more bits and none of them worked even somewhat satisfactorily. The blades are dull to begin with and burned up running them through some pine boards. Needless to say I tossed the entire set in the trash. I have been doing woodworking for nearly twenty years and have never had bits behave like these. Just for safety sake, these things should be taken off Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, January 6, 2012
I bought these as I was starting to use a router for the first time. This set is a great way to quickly see what kind of cuts/shapes a router can make in scrap wood, so that you can buy the more expensive router bits that you are actually interested in using. When I found that I favored using a couple bits (flush trim, 45 chamfer, and 3/8 straight) out of the MLCS kit over all others, I went ahead and "replaced" them with Whiteside router bits. While Whiteside bits cost 30+$ each (very expensive if you are blindly buying one at a time!) they are worth the cost for your favorite bits because they cut the wood easier and with less noise and burning. The Whiteside bits tend to leave a cleaner and smoother cut surface as well.

While I wouldn't recommend the MLCS kit for heavy usage, I would recommend beginners to pick up this inexpensive kit so that you can get to know the art of routing on the cheap. Once you know what kind of cuts or edge work you like to do, you can then use that knowledge to replace your favorite router bits with the more expensive ones.

As with most bits, these come all greased up. You want to clean that off before using them (I used isopropyl alcohol). Be careful and handle the bits with care as they can cut you if you handle them recklessly.

The wood box is a nice touch especially at <40$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, February 19, 2009
Terrence E. Scott "TEScott" (Clayton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set a few months ago and was very pleased with this "starter set." It provides the basic bits needed for many simple projects. I built an oak bookcase for my nephew. I used the roundover, flush trim and rabbiting bits. I was pleased with the bits' smooth operation and finish. They worked as well as other name-brand bits that I have used costing two to four times as much. 5 stars for BANG for the BUCK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Item From MLCS To Get A 3 Year Warranty!, November 21, 2012
sciteacher (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set from Amazon back in May and have been using it to build a TV cabinet. During the first use of the 1/2" straight cut bit one of the blades broke off while cutting through soft wood. I was very disappointed (a few other reviews have mentioned a bit has broken for them as well). I had only owned the entire set for 6 months. I contacted Amazon and they took the item back however they deducted the cost of shipping from amount of the refund. Now this is listed in the return policy shown on Amazon's website however I did not read this until after I caught the shipping being deducted from my refund (my fault). Now had I bought this item from MLCS, who charge the same amount, offered free shipping, and charged me no tax in NC, I would have been able to take advantage of their 3 year warranty. So I am buying the set same set again only from MLCS this time. I am throwing caution to the wind and assuming if the set holds up for 3 years I hopefully will not have have any issues down the road. Hoping the first set I bought through Amazon just had a defective bit. So my advise would be to purchase from MLCS directly and get the 3 year warranty and sleep better at night.

Rate and Discover Movies