Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2009
I had one of these not too long ago and after putting the pack through some daily routines, I could now rate the pack as I see it.

First off, do not let the name fool you, it is NOT mil-spec by any means, nor do I know what kind of 3-day assault in what army it was suited for- any G.I. would laugh at this product for its filmsiness. If I was grunt, I wouldn't be carrying this pack about and if I was a Treadhead and hanging this pack off the side of my track, this pack would have came apart and fell off a long time ago!

Though the initial impression is that the pack was well-made, do not be fooled. The material the pack was made of might appeared to be heavy-weigh- it is nothing more than rubber coated vinyl or some such- definitely not rip-stop ballistic nylon of the more expensive packs. And though the material might be water resistent to a cetrain extend, the seams were not sealed and the threads used for while the construction might appeared of heavy gauge, they were actually not strong at all. As another reviewer had noted, the stitchings came apart readily.

And though the pack itself is big and roomy, do not, for a second, think you could pack it full to the seam! Even if you are prepare to hump the weight around, the pack would not hold! The large and sturdy-looking two-way zipper of the main compartment simply came undone and apparently not the self-repairing kind.

So, now I have a pretty much useless large pack with a BIG flap that could not close because of the busted zipper!!! Now, if there were some compression straps going over the zippered flap to begin with, things might have been very different.

I do have to say that, at least, the padded shoulder straps held up relatively well but for now, they are also very useless.

I am prior service and I have humped my share of army-issued packs about... and guess what, even my beat up old ALICE pack is still working as it should and I could count on it when I go camping and I would advise protential shoppers to pass this on by. Spend the extra bucks and get something from Maxpedition or some such... for packs that would last as long as you need them.
on December 3, 2008
This bag when it first arrived it looked very good. I open it, stored some items in it, and went backpacking. After two days of gentle use the back cushions started ripping. I stitched them back and continued. After a week however, I noticed that that shoulder straps started ripping. This time, frustrated but determined I reattached them and simply continued. Now, after a month of use the foam from inside the straps is leaking out.

It looks so good, but the quality is bad. The textile from which it is made is water proof but it is simply too flimsy. The green threads loosen and the plastic clips detach. The plastic it has is weak, and it breaks. The insulation will peel off after some use. The joints of practically everywhere are open.

Don't buy this bag, it is not worth it.
on March 8, 2009
I am disappointed with this product. The bottom compartment zipper broke; I've had to sew the compartment closed. The back straps are coming loose.
on January 11, 2012
I'm USAF Security Forces, and I bought this bag in preparation for a deployment, knowing how much gear I was gonna have to take to work every day. After receiving the bag, I looked it over. The material feels like cheap nylon, but I was willing to give it a try. After getting in country and taking the bag to post for about two weeks, the bag already started showing signs of wear and tear more than expected. The zipper pulls are of poor quality, as one ripped off the zipper with little effort while zipping (and the pocket only had 550 cord in it, so I know the problem wasn't over stuffing the pocket). Then the stitching up near the top of the bag where the hydration bladder would sit started coming undone. With that stitching coming undone, the bag didn't sit very snugly on my back now, so I had to tighten it more and more as time went on. Eventually, the padding in the shoulder straps started to feel like it was rolled up paper shoved inside the strap, almost as if it was deteriorating inside of the strap. I'm giving it two stars instead of one, due to the storage space and the arrangement of the pockets. It held quite a bit of gear, with some room left over, and the pockets were laid out pretty well throughout the bag. But, overall, I was thoroughly disappointed with the bag, and went for the 5.11 Rush 72 pack, which I also reviewed. In the end, if you want to have a bag that can withstand day to day use with 40+ pounds of gear in/on the bag, this isn't the bag for you.
on February 1, 2012
I bought this bag as a bugout bag and hiking pack. Its good size and of made of reasonably rugged material. I will say that the zippers are kind of cheap and 1 was missing the pseudo paracord pull. It holds a lot of stuff, but I wish I would have bought the USMC ILBE it's bigger, sturdier, has a bladder insert you can purchase, but doesn't have all the nice separate pockets which is really nice on this bag + it's double the price or more. Currently I have this bag loaded, yet wonder if I can get the last of my winter clothing in it. And can only guess how the shoulder straps are going to hold-out in the field because they look strained now. In short, I feel this bag is way overpriced and really only worth maybe 30-45 bucks, If used for light purposes your gonna be good, but I would not really want to be over dependent on this bag if my life was at stake. I gave it 4 stars because I do like the bag, especially all the pockets.

I field tested this bag and it did well for the first time out, your not going to be able to load it down as much as you may like. This is really a day pack.
on February 18, 2011
I don't know if the other reviewers had the same pack, but I have had no problems with this pack beyond what is expected from heavy use. I've had this pack for over 2 years now and have used it heavily without problem. I take it on week long solo trips all the time where it is usually loaded with sleeping bag, pad, tent, personal cooking kit, clothes, first aid kit, book or two, axe, and shovel. Easily 50lbs worth. The only problem I've had is one zipper pull broke from being over stuffed, and one seem started to rip because a camp knife came loose and cut it.
on October 13, 2011
I think that this item is one of the best ones so far available on Amazon. I think it is worth the money, definitely! It can fit a lot of stuff inside and it has so many pockets and compartments. Only thing that is kind of different in my eyes is that color on the picture available on the web, doesn't match the actual color. It is vivid olive green, not kind of grayish color as it looks. However, a very good buy.
on July 4, 2010
Military style MOLLE 3 day with extra pouches. This thing is pretty big, a lot bigger than what the picture perceives it to be. This worked to my advantage since I'm pretty tall and built so it is proportioned to my body.

There is a pouch in the front (the one with the strips of fabric pictured in the front) for a pretty large sized water bladder. There are no clips for the bladder though so I recommend getting one like this:

As for the clips and harness system on this pack, it is really great for hiking, which I do not use very often. (Note that I use this pack during the school year as a book bag/laptop bag)

That said, you can clip the straps in such a manner that the backpack becomes a bit smaller reducing its size. This way there is not always a need to use the waist belt system.

This thing is really awesome and well worth the money with tons of features and badass-ed ness
on November 16, 2014
Can't be beat for the price!
on May 14, 2009
I have had this pack for over a year now and after reading the other reviews thought I would mention my own experiences. I have used this pack extensively and have had none of the problems the previous reviewers have mentioned. I am sorry to hear of their experiences, but this pack has been great for me.

I decided to get this pack for hiking after trying on several professional hiking packs but because I am so short I would have ended up paying hundreds of dollars for one that fit. I didn't really want to spend that so tried this pack on at an army surplus store. The straps shorten to fit me at 5'3" but can lengthen enough to fit my 6'4" husband. No, the straps are not dangling around, they tuck into notches in the pack. I love the way the weight is distributed across my back evenly and I've been able to fully load this pack and carry it easily. In fact, when fully loaded it's quite large and I looked at it skeptically, but was easily able to haul it.

This pack has pockets galore, my zipper, straps, and stuffing have had no problems whatsoever, and is so large that if I had to I could fit my four year old child in it. In fact, after Hurrican Katrina is when I bought this pack and I actually did try to fit my child in it, he thought is was fun to ride around on mommy's back! LOL

I can't recommend this pack enough and you won't find a better price than on Amazon.