5.0 out of 5 stars No one will accuse the author of undervaluing his work...
This is a wonderful book. Yes, the author sometimes makes claims about its importance that are not relevant. That is actually the only real flaw that it has, though.

Published on June 21, 2011 by C. ODonnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy, read, use but with much caution.
I have hesitated for a long time on writing a review of this book but finally, after four years, decided to do so.

The reason I hesitated to write anything on the book is because I believe the author is sincere and his teachings as expressed in this book are based on his personal experience. The book contains so much valuable guidance, expressed in a pithy and...
Published 4 months ago by Harold Goodman

5.0 out of 5 stars No one will accuse the author of undervaluing his work..., June 21, 2011
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)

And the title is NOT an example of these rare and surprising bursts of grandiosity. The practice that the title refers to is in fact "the most direct means to eternal bliss." What he describes is the awareness watching awareness practice, employed to great effect by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. This is not a method. Mantras, guided meditation, following the breath, all of these are methods, not practice. Awareness watching awareness is the practice that all methods and all teaching point to. Once you understand the practice, there is no more need for method. You drop all that, and simply practice. Most people don't understand this.

He tries to clarify what is meant by "awareness," that sense of "I AM" that all of the great teachers refer to, and thereby minimize the wide-spread confusion about what it is, exactly, in terms of your personal experience. He does a really good job. Then he emphasizes that this is what you are to focus on if you want to awaken. The title is the simple truth. Coupled with Adyashanti's "True Meditation" the teaching in this book becomes even more clear.

His main contribution is that he thoroughly and effectively debunks the ego-based sense of self, and our complete and unquestioning faith in thought, in what we believe and what we think is true. This is where I am really benefiting. I needed to know in my heart of hearts that this person I believe I am is a delusion. I could see this intellectually, I have even had the fleeting experience of this truth. But there had to be a deep acceptance of this. A deep understanding that a mistake was made, without judgment or rejection of the result, just a simple seeing-through of the delusion. This book helped me with this tremendously.

Some reviewers complain about the author's recommendation that you read the book very slowly, and that you read it many times. That's too bad. If you follow this instruction, you will soon be very aware of how the mind wants to race on to the next thing. Then you are aware that this is simply what the mind does all the time. Ah ha. This is the core problem. This is what keeps you from being in the present moment, aware of Awareness. It is an incredibly powerful method to notice that impulse and then simply focus on reading slowly and repetitively. This puts the brakes on and slows the mind's momentum. It also helps you to make certain that what is being said really, really sinks in.

I put down everything else. I stopped reading a book in the middle of it, I cancelled my subscriptions, put away the DVDs, un-registered from the retreat, and stopped going to the satsangs. I focus on practice, and I practice for hours, easily, every day. No long walk to the cushion. No physical pain. No hours of tedium. Just practice. It is causing the transformation I was seeking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The liberation manual, August 2, 2008
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
This book is the sixth edition. The author has added a new chapter to this sixth edition (Experiences, the Journey, and the Final Goal), which is very helpful.
Please read my review of the fifth edition. It still holds true. Then please read my comments on the sixth edition. May it be helpful to you in your work of liberation.

Review of the fifth edition.
I've been a spiritual seeker most of my life. Over the years I've been heavily into various spiritual traditions, Zen, Sufism, and Yoga, Christian mysticism, Hindu mysticism and martial arts. I've also acquired an extensive library of books written by or about every "enlightened" person that ever lived. Honestly, all I really succeeded in doing was creating a much more spiritual ego. I had just about given up on the idea of realizing Truth, when at age 57 I finally came across The Most Direct and Rapid Means to Eternal Bliss. I gotta tell you, I wouldn't care now if all my other books burned!
This book is it! The author tells you exactly what the ego is. Exactly how it works, and all it's strategies and tricks. He tells you exactly what you need to do, (practice awareness watching awareness, which was the method recommended by Ramana Maharshi and Nasargadatta) and how to do it. Yes, you will be able to read this book and perform the method correctly!
I've read quite a few books where the "enlightened" author tells you over and over to just look out at the world as your True Self. Right... But they offer nothing as to a method for arriving at that level of understanding? Not the case here. Nothing vague in this book. Nothing to guess about. Nothing to interpret. The author even cautions readers to read the book literally. He tells you that yes, he really means exactly what he is saying.
If you're tired of dead ends, if you really thirst for Absolute Truth, this could be the last spiritual book you ever buy.
My eternal gratitude to the author.

Comments on the sixth edition.
(From chapter 14, Experiences, the Journey, and the Final Goal).

"Your own everyday background of awareness is the path to Infinite Awareness, as sunlight is to the sun."

A simple statement but one that the reader needs to take literally. Your everyday awareness is the way and the truth and the way to the truth. Not some special awareness, not cosmic consciousness, just your own everyday awareness. That's what you will be working with. How fortunate we are in the great scheme of things that we all have this everyday background of awareness. With our basic "equipment" of everyday awareness, we can work out our liberation. The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss shows you how.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, September 3, 2008
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
The proof is in the pudding. This book will get you the results you've been searching for your entire life, assuming that your goal has been to break free of ego, pain, sorrow and suffering.

As you practice the techniques given, you will begin to identify less and less with your thoughts and emotions, and more with the ever present ground of awareness/expansiveness/peace which has always been with you, but which you failed to notice previously.

The Teacher, Michael Langford, is the Real Deal. He has been able to take a complex topic and explain it in simple language. You don't need to fly to India and live in an ashram in order to study with a modern day Yogi. He is living here in the States, and his complete message has been synthesized and simplified in this little book. His teachings will change your life if you allow them to.

Now, buy this book, read it slowly and thoroughly, then go practice......

5.0 out of 5 stars Instruction manual for enlightenment!, July 27, 2008
S. Srinivasan (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
From the Introduction chapter of the book...

"11.It is possible to be free of all sorrow and suffering
and to experience absolutely perfect infinite eternal joy
here and now in this lifetime.
12.It is possible for all humans,
not just a few humans.
13.There is a rapid means to
infinite bliss.
14. That rapid means is taught in this book."

This book is unique contribution. It is an 'Instruction manual for enligtenment'. It contains extremely practical step by step instruction to the 'direct experience of reality'. The first three chapters are devoted to understanding the ego and tricks of the ego and how it keeps one from waking up. These chapters are extremely insightful and I personally found it very useful. One of the several ego's tricks which I Identified in myself after reading the book was a preference to engage in endless reading and discussion instead of devoting time for actual practise. Then there is a chapter on the importance of the 'desire for liberation' and how it can dissolve all obstacles to enlightenment. There is a chapter devoted to 'how to awaken the extreme desire for liberation' which is also very insightful. There are two meditation practises offered for daily practise as the 'most rapid and direct means to direct experience of reality'. The first one is the 'Awareness Watching Awareness'(AWA) method, and the second one is the 'Abandon Release Method' (ARM). According to the author AWA is the most rapid and ARM is the second most rapid method. These two methods alone are worth the value of the book. There is an extremely useful chapter on further clarification on 'Awareness watching awareness' method which addresses all possible doubts or questions one might have during the practise. The author gives very practical tips and pointers to address any questions which might cloud the meditator's mind during practise.

E.G. from chapter eight...

"10. Don't expect any type of experience.
11. If you are wondering if you will have some kind
of spiritual experience, then that very wondering means
you have added something to awareness watching awareness.
12.Never add anything to awareness watching awareness.
13. The key is to be content just watching
your awareness and not to move from that
and not to add anything to that.
165. Don't expect any of the experiences described in this chapter.
Expectation will destroy the effectiveness of the practice.
166. If it seems boring the first few times you try the
awareness watching awareness practice, that is OK.
Continue to practice."

Initially when I started practising AWA, I found it to be quite difficult. Then I took the authors suggestion in the book and practised ARM first for a few months and then swithed to AWA. It has been about two years since I started practising seriously and the results are amazing, I can definitely say that I am on the right track. The following quotes are from chapter 6.

"67. From the very first moment one tries this practice,
one is abiding as awareness!
68. There is no waiting!
69. It is so easy.
70. This is not meant to imply
that from the beginning the ego ends.
71. It takes years of continuous practice
before the ego meets its final end.
72. However, from the moment one tries this simple,
easy to understand practice, one is abiding as awareness!""

There are also several supplementary methods which are not meant for daily pracise but can be pracised once or twise to get a deeper understanding of the primary method. There is also a chapter titled 'reminder' which is meant to be read everyday to motivate one to practise the methods every day. There is a chapter titled "Experiences, the Journey and the Final Goal" which is a new addition in the latest edition of the book; This is the biggest chapter in the book and bound to be a big source of inspiration for everyone.

Well how does one know whether this is infact the 'most direct means to liberation'? Quoting the author from chapter 6.

"123. The only way to find out if the Awareness Watching Awareness
Method is or is not effective for you is to practice it.
124. If without trying it, you come to the conclusion
that it will not be effective, then you have allowed the imposter (thinking)
to rob you of a great opportunity
125. With thinking you have a conclusion, an opinion
or an assumption that may be correct or may not be correct.
126. With practice you will know for sure
whether the Awareness Watching Awareness Method
is or is not effective for you.
127. Therefore, consider giving it
a sincere, fair try."

In my case, the unconditional joy and bliss that is starting to fill my being and is deepening with each practise session is enough confirmation that the AWA method really works.

Very Highly Recommended!

Edit: Recently the author also posted a free voice lesson, which I find to be quite powerful and transformative. I am not sure if Amazon would let me post the link here, but you can find it by searching for "Michael Langford Lesson one" on youtube.

5.0 out of 5 stars The clearest and most profound book I have ever read, July 23, 2008
ALLONE (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
I had read that there was a difference between the false self and the true self in books I had read before. But I never knew exactly what that difference was until I read this book,
The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss. Because the difference was described so clearly in this book, now I can tell the difference between the false self and the true self in my daily life. I also can now see how the false self has fooled all of the people of the earth and caused all of our problems. This book is written in such a clear, easy to understand language that I can for the first time see all of that and so much more! The solutions for all the problems of all the earth's people can be found in this book. I wasted so much time reading hundreds of religious books, books about meditation and new age books. I wish I had read this book, The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss, fifty years ago.
I would not have wasted all that time reading all those other books that have so many extra words and so many detours and so many false paths. This book, The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss, is the greatest book I have ever read. There is nothing else like it.
I thought there was nothing new under the sun, and this book appears! There is something new under the sun. It is like thinking that the light of the sun is the most powerful light and suddenly the light of a million suns appears! This book is like that. I think this book is destined to change the consciousness of the earth's people more than all the religions of the past combined. The reasons why we have not changed in the past are clearly pointed out in this book. How we can finally change and know the eternal beauty is also clearly pointed out in this book. Do yourself and all of the people of the earth a favor and read this book. This book is written so clearly it makes all the other books I read look like mud. This book was written from the heart of reality. Every word in this book is a valuable precious jewel.

These are my favorite quotes from the book:

Introduction: 11. It is possible to be free of all sorrow and suffering and to experience absolutely perfect infinite eternal joy here and now in this lifetime. 12. It is possible for all humans, not just a few humans. 13. There is a rapid means to infinite bliss. 14. That rapid means is taught in this book.

Chapter One: 17. If you turn your attention towards the awareness that wakes up in the morning, instead of towards people, places, things, thoughts, etc., eventually you will discover that awareness is infinite-eternal-awareness-love-bliss.

Chapter Three: 78. If you really wanted Truth, you would insist on Direct Experience. 80. The extremely intense desire for liberation is the key to ending the ego's tricks, and the book you are now reading contains step-by-step instructions for awakening the extremely intense desire for liberation. 84. Your motivation while reading is very important. 85. The correct motivations are (86-89): 86. Extremely intense Self-honesty. 87. An extremely intense desire to directly experience the infinite-eternal-absolute Truth. 88. A willingness to let go of all the ideas you have accumulated in the past. 89. An extremely intense longing to be free of sorrow and to live in eternal-joy.

Chapter Four: 23. When the desire for Freedom becomes even more intense you can see all of the ego's preservation strategies. 24. When the extremely intense desire for Liberation is awakened you will marvel at how it was possible you did not see the ego's preservation strategies before. 49. What if your desire for Liberation were a million times greater and more intense than it is now? 55. After the extremely intense desire for Freedom arises all is made clear and you have no doubts! 56. After the extremely intense desire for Freedom arises, for the first time you can see!

Chapter Five: 37. The extremely intense desire for Liberation is like an infinitely strong grip that grabs hold of the absolute goodness that has never known falsehood with a hold so strong that nothing can weaken that grip.

Chapter Six: 85. The significance of the Awareness Watching Awareness discovery is one of communication. 86. A human could be told to focus on the I AM and even after one hundred million lifetimes, still not know what the I AM is. 87. However, if told that the I AM is the awareness that appears to wake up in the morning, the background of awareness that is there during all the waking hours, and given specific instructions in how to turn the attention away from thought, etc., and towards awareness watching awareness, one can end the ego and suffering in this lifetime and remain eternally in bliss. 88. Those specific instructions are in Chapter Seven.

Chapter Eight: 131. If you remain content with awareness watching awareness, your problems will start to disappear. 132. Your misery will start to disappear. 133. Peace will come unexpectedly. 134. Joy will come unexpectedly. 135. Infinite Love will come unexpectedly. 143. Watching thoughts is not looking inward. 144. Watching feelings is not looking inward. 145. Watching breathing is not looking inward. 146. Only turning the attention away from the observed and towards the observer is looking inward. 147. Only awareness watching awareness is looking inward. 148. Looking inward is eternal liberation. 149. Looking inward is eternal life. 150. Looking inward is eternal awareness. 151. Looking inward is eternal peace. 152. Looking inward is eternal joy. 153. Looking inward is eternal Love that is absolutely perfect and free of all forms of sorrow and misery.

Chapter Eleven: 30. That infinite space is your awareness. 31. That infinite space is infinite love. 32. That infinite space is eternal life. 33. See the infinite freedom of infinite space. 65. Never again imagine that space is just nothing. 66. Space is that which is truly valuable. 67. Space is eternal life-awareness. 68. Space is infinite Love. 69. One being, one space, one infinite Love. 83. You are not a thinker living in a body in a world. 84. You are infinite-eternal-awareness-love-joy.

Chapter Thirteen: 70. This book contains a unique step-by-step formula beginning from the Introduction, through Chapter 14. 71. All of the steps, from a detailed description of the imposter, to understanding how the imposter arose, seeing the difference between the imposter and the true Self, understanding the imposter's tricks, the methods used to see that thought has no real foundation, the importance of awakening the extremely intense desire for liberation, the methods to awaken the extremely intense desire for liberation, the Awareness Watching Awareness Method, The Abandon Release Method, The Eternal Method, The Infinite Space Method, and the Loving All method are essential for most people, due to the tricks of the ego. 99. Doubt is a very valuable tool in the process of awakening. 100. You could begin by doubting all of the religious and spiritual teachings of the past. 101. Then doubt every human belief in all fields including science and philosophy. 102. Then doubt the validity, sincerity and existence of the doubter. Find out: who or what is the doubter? 103. Then practice the most direct and rapid means to eternal bliss. 104. Then, eventually, sooner or later, experience the absolute perfection of Infinite-Eternal-Awareness-Love-Bliss. Then continue to practice. 105. For this to happen you have to begin to care. 106. Care about Truth enough to see that the human past has been a falsehood. 107. Care about Truth enough to drop the past ideas, beliefs, concepts and opinions. Then begin a new life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Edition of the Last Book You'll Ever Need, August 7, 2008
Allyn Fisher (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
The Latest Edition of the Last Book You'll Ever Need

The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss, now in its sixth edition, is not another spiritual book to add to your collection. It is not a scholarly treatise. It is not a book of theory or comparative religion. It is not a parable, nor is it particularly poetic. The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss is a concise guide to full Awakening in this lifetime. If you already own an earlier edition of the book, you will definitely want to read the latest edition, in which the author addresses some of the questions, fears, and doubts commonly held by serious aspirants. The new last chapter (as well as the one before it if you have not seen the fifth edition) is not to be missed.

My husband bought this book as a gift for me about 18 months ago. When I realized I'd just received an instruction manual for escaping the mind's relentless orbit, an instruction manual stripped of theory and jargon, without any kind of wiggle room for the ego's tricks, without any room for questions or doubts, I was overjoyed, challenged, and inspired. We started the Awareness Watching Awareness practice described by the author immediately, and life hasn't been the same since. Turning one's attention away from the world, the body, and thought to focus instead on the I AM really does work, especially since Michael Langford actually explains what the I AM is in remarkably clear and simple terms.

The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss is unique in a number of other ways as well. Mr. Langford clearly describes the ego, the true Self, and the difference between the two. He describes the innumerable tricks the ego uses to preserve its imaginary self, identifies the extremely intense desire for Liberation as the only antidote, and provides the inspiration needed to reach that level of desire. He chronicles his discovery of the Awareness Watching Awareness practice, and perhaps most importantly, doesn't include any extraneous or irrelevant information whatsoever. There is nothing in the book that doesn't continue to ring true, even after hundreds of readings. In fact, the truth behind it becomes increasingly evident as the practice deepens. There is no doubt that The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss represents the highest and best a teaching can offer: a real, tangible, actual means to the Truth, accessible to anyone who's really searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awareness Watching awareness: A Tribute to Truth, January 4, 2009
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
I am done with experiences. They all simply begin and end, isn't this true? Some are magnificent, magical and mystical; but, they all seem to have one thing in common: all experiences end and,thus, are not absolute truth.

In my sadhana using direct inquiry, I have read mountains of literature, visited with sages throughout the world, attended silent retreats, intensives and satsangs. I have come into the company of many conscious seekers, great souls to a man.

One day, I discovered I was not who I think I am, and that no concept or belief would ever uncloak my essential being: the Iam in all it's glory.

There were many pointers and road signs along the way. What more could they hope to do? One remarkable man who nudged me to finally cease seeking and to do the work was Michael Langford, a reclusive awakened fellow with a remarkable, clear road map to Self.

"Not all spiritual paths lead to the harmonious Oneness. Indeed, most are detours and distractions, nothing more."

Loa Tsu, Hua Hu Ching

Michael's book is aptly named, " The Most Direct and Rapid Means to Eternal Bliss." I urge all serious seekers to grab it and value it for exactly what it's name implies. Recently, I have begun compiling more information on Michael and another mutually respected writer he refers to by the name of Michael James at [...] in the hopes the more will access their excellent work. I encourage you to visit. But, by all means, secure a copy of this book, right now.

So as to be clear, Michael spent years in the spiritual washing machine as many of us did. He found his answers in the writings of Sri Muruganar, a poet sage who spent 2 decades with Sri Ramana Maharshi. As Michael says: " One liberated sage reporting on the teachings of another liberated sage is like two mirrors facing each other. The result is infinite reflection."

Here is the full story of his discovery of the true meaning of Maharshi's teaching to follow the path of self inquiry thru direct observation and asking the Self, "Who am I?"

[...]

You may be suprised to hear the true intent of Ramana's teaching. This is powerful stuff, clear direction. It is simply the fastest, most effective method to abiding in awareness.

Abidng is the key. It's really not a cliche: nothing ever really happened. There simply never has been anyone for experience to happen to.

God Bless You, Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS is an Authentic Masterpiece, July 25, 2010
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
I love this book! Warmly and sincerely I recommend it from the heart to all spiritual aspirants. It is a cradle for Complete Enlightenment. THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS has to be ranked at the "spiritual genius" level. What we've been given here is a hands-on practical textbook for Awakening which transcends pitfalls and traps. While that may sound hyperbolic, all I can say is that I've never read anything even close to it's caliber by a modern adept. And this includes texts by world famous Zen/Chan masters, both past and present. Speaking as a serious meditative practitioner of 40 years plus - including seven year full time in rigorous authentic Zen centers - I can not sufficiently praise what Michael Langford has given sentient beings through this gift. Not only has he repackaged and amplified the essence of Zen practice, he has done the same for the Self Abidance Teachings of the great Vedanta Masters like Ramana Maharshi. What adds shining glory to his efforts is the bulls eye emphasis upon spiritual practice (intense authentic meditation) while not packaging it in the garments of once vibrant Traditions which have all too often become stale, narrow minded, or culturally imperialistic. By this I mean, of course, Langford's wondrous "reformulation" of Silent Illumination/Shikan Taza practice which he calls Awareness Watching Awareness. This method of practice is an authentic Way to attain the essence of Buddha as well as the Self Abidance taught by Ramana Maharshi, Muruganar, and Sri Sadhu Om. THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS is thus a book for beginning and advanced aspirants alike. That in itself is rare beyond measure. Nor does Langford leave room for the festering sinkhole of "neo-advaitic" self delusion and chicanery which says there is no need for spiritual practice or meditation. THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS utilizes the second step of classical Yoga - dhyana (suggestion) - in a way which this reviewer, a professional hypnotist, was humbled by. Hence the book is a masterwork in both creative form and stunning content far, far above the efforts of our contemporary "spiritual" luminaries (often demonically possessed) whose books are bestsellers in the millions. Get it! You can not go wrong here!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best spiritual books I've read, November 27, 2009
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
I've read hundreds of spiritual books. I've spent over a year on intensive meditation retreats. I've struggled to develop a strong daily practice that really works. This book is like a bomb. If you are looking for a sweet story, a new age treatise that will make you feel good without requiring any effort or practice, pass on this book. If you are looking for a very clear, very direct manual that teaches a practice that really cuts to the heart of the matter, look no further. This book will give you the tools but will demand nothing less than your full commitment to practice.

I've done Buddhist practices for many years. I find the primary practice taught by Michael Langford to be far more powerful the the Buddhist techniquest I've practiced for so many years. Even in one week, I've found that doing the practices for a few hours a day have led to very direct results. I've never been able to experience this type of progress in my daily life practice. This book gives me real hope that it is possible to have a daily practice that makes a profound difference. I had long ago reached the conclusion (based on experience) that only longer, intensive retreats would give me the growth and development I longed for.

Buy this book; you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Clearest Road Map to Spiritual Enlightenment, October 11, 2008
This review is from: THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS (Paperback)
This rare book give clear, consice instructions on how to practice 'self inquiry' as described by Ramana Maharshi. I searched for instructions on how to practice and found this wonderful book that gives easy to understand instructions on how to practice 'self inquiry'.. The book is direct, very easy to read and understand. The author gets right to the point and gives the reader what he/she needs to know. This book is a Godsend! ...I was desperate trying to find a book that could tell me how to practice. I have been practicing the AWA method described in this book for several hours a day for almost 1 year and I am a different person... No other spiritual book gives the reader such a clear method for practicing self awareness...I was frustrated by other books and teachers that said......"You are already That"...... I didn't feel much like 'That' until I found this book and started practicing the 'Awareness watching Awareness' method of self inquiry.....Now I am content in knowing that I'm on the right path as described by Ramana Maharshi through Michael Langford's book. Seriously..... get this book and start watching your Awareness and you will too! It will change your life.......

THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS
THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS by Michael Langford (Paperback - July 4, 2008)
$12.95