Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on April 25, 2009
I bought one of these kits to put on my bike.

One problem I ran into was the fact that only a couple of bicycles at Wal-Mart have a big enough frame to mount the engine. You need to make sure you measure the inside of the triangle part of the frame. I have a 700c hybrid bike (one of the three biggest bikes at Wal-Mart) that has too small of a frame for this engine. However, it did fit on my 700c road bike.

Another problem is the fact that most newer bikes have an over-sized bottom tube. The engine is made to mount on bottom tubes that are not over-sized. Although it does come with an adapter to mount it on over-sized tubes, I have found that the adapter and engine slide sideways on my bottom tube causing the chain to become slack. To fix this problem I had to put a hose clamp around the muffler and bottom tube to prevent the engine from sliding to the side.

The third problem I had was that the "e" clip on the pin in the clutch handle flew off while I was riding. This caused the pin and spring, that the clip was holding, to fall off of the clutch handle. Without these the clutch handle cannot be locked in the disengaged position. I have since fixed this by making my own "e" clip.

One other thing about this engine is that the chain is loud when the clutch is disengaged. Also the bike doesn't go as fast downhill because of the drag of the chain.

Also, the instructions are unclear about how to connect the wiring. They say how to hook the wires up two different ways and it is unclear which way to do it. I had to ask someone on another website about how to wire it.

I would like to say that this product does work pretty well. It's cheap and makes riding a bike much easier, especially uphill. It takes at least 4 hours to put this on your bike. I would only recommend this product to people who are mechanically inclined, as you will probably run into some minor problems, as I did.
55 comments53 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2010
I ordered this engine, not really knowing what to expect. It just looked cool. Let me first say that these kits are not for everyone. They require some mechanical aptitude and tools. I had neither. Luckily, I found a discussion forum on the topic of "happytime" Chinese bike kits. ([...]). This forum is comprehensive and very helpful and contains all the information you need to complete the kit. I was very intimidated when I opened the box, but it went together easily for the most part.

My kit arrived in good condition from "Daemon bikes", a new company according to their site. It's a good kit with several extras that some other kits don't have and the quality of the components sound like they are superior to many other kits being sold. The components were all usable except one cable that I had to make a new end for. (I also had to take the carb apart and sand down one of the parts before it would slide freely). For the price I am very satisfied with this product.

Anyway, it took me something like 12 hours to put this kit on my bike. Most of this time was spent researching and solving little problems. If I mounted another engine kit to the same bike today, it would take me about 3 hours tops, because I know how to do it. I bought a Scwinn cruiser frame 7 speed, available at Walmart for about 150.00. The kit would mount on the "Scwinn Delmar" costing less than a hundred, but I avoided buying a bike with coaster brakes, which require more work when mounting an engine kit. Mounting the kit was pretty easy once I got decent instructions.

The instructions that come with the kit are written in poorly translated Chinese. They were incomprehensible and incomplete. In fact, the instructions were so poor, I took them to work so my co-workers could get a laugh. I recommend you check out the forum and download some instructions to read before you buy the kit. That will give you an idea of the level of effort and tools required. But don't be too intimidated. If I can do it, you probably can too.

I am still in the break-in period, so I can't really tell you how this engine holds up or how much power it has except to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It climbs hills effortlessly and it's able to take over from pedaling at about 5mph, which is much better than I expected. It's got several times more horsepower than most electric bikes that cost 5 times the price. As long as you keep your speed up, you probably won't ever have to pedal, even running up steep hills.

About noise and air pollution: This is a EPA certified kit, whatever that really means. It's noisy and smelly because it's a cheap 2 stroke engine. It's nowhere near as loud as a lawnmower, but it is much louder than an electric bike. The muffler does a pretty good job of keeping the neighbors from forming an eviction committee.

I recommend this product, but only for folks who don't mind turning a wrench and tinkering. It's fun to put together and FUN to ride!

2 Weeks later.
I have put about 250 miles on my bike in the last couple of weeks and ride it to work and anytime I have a small shopping errand. It runs even better once it's broken in. I added a basket, mirror and a few other accessories, but have had real maintenance problems yet. The clutch cable broke and had to be replaced (a standard bike brake cable costing about 2 dollars). The repair took about 10 minutes. There is a whole community of guys out there building these things, so beware, It's an addictive hobby. I HIGHLY recommend this product if you are a tinkerer. This is the most fun toy I own.
11 comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2013
I received my kit about 2 weeks after ordering it which I was prepared for since i read that it was coming from china. I was pretty excited. I recently had a kymco agility 125cc scooter and an old schwinn cruiser ganked from my back yard in the middle of the night and the stinger kit gave me something to focus on and take my mind off of my misfortune...

I bought a new schwinn cruiser with a thick down tube (I was prepared for the alternate mounting) but otherwise fit the measurements given. I read that the engine would fit on all newer cruisers, nothing about the muffler may block pedaling. No prob, I like my blow torch. I had to bend the muffler in an entire inch for pedal clearance. When I put the sprocket on my back wheel I realized that I should've had 5 plates to lock on spacers and sprocket. Only received 2. Everything is together so I test to see if I got spark. Nope. Test the magneto: dead. Test the CDI: dead. Plug wire and boot fell apart. It's been a week and I have to order new parts. Haven't started her up yet
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2009
Overall a well put together kit. Unfortunately the gas cap never fit right and fell off during it's maiden voyage.
0Comment12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2014
Awesome little bike kit except for the fact that the stock magneto went out after about 70 miles of riding
on March 29, 2014
ok,
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2014
Awesome little motor. You need be a little mechanically inclined to put it together but with a beach cruiser frame it will go together no problem (I put mine on an urban mountain bike). Make sure your float bowl is about 21mm from where the seal sits (with the seal removed) and you should be tuned in pretty close. I bought a sprocket that clamps to my hub but with a normal rim the stock one will do just fine. It does about 33mph with stock gearing and climbs hills like they're nothin. It's no race engine but it had more than enough power for a bicycle! Already put 200miles on mine and it still running strong!
0Comment1 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2010
I received this engine in 4 days from ordering it. I have a Schwinn Stingray Chopper and i planned on putting the engine on this bike, however i was a bit disappointed to find that it wouldnt fit on the chopper because there was no mount for it. I however plan to make a bracket for it,but overall it was a nice buy, sturdy looking, all parts with it, nothing broke.
0Comment6 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse