5.0 out of 5 stars Details, Details, and more Details
This is a very useful reference book that had enough details for almost anybody. With the informaiton provided you can design, implement, and deploy MPLS-VPNs in a short timeframe. In addition, there are several good overviews for new MPLSers. Job very well done!
Published on January 3, 2001 by Darryl

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy
Published on February 1, 2007 by Khaled Abu El Enain

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy, February 1, 2007
Khaled Abu El Enain (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
I read this book in preparation for my Cisco MPLS exam, on my way to becoming a CCIP. I bought the 2 volumes. After reading the first one, I decided not to go ahead with the second. I work for a giant service provider, which is a fortune 500 company as well. I specifically work at the core network level. The core network transitioning from legacy SDH towards a pure IP/MPLS solution meant for me a fundamental understanding of MPLS.
First of all, never throughout the book did I understand what exactly was the problem that MPLS was aimed at solving. The words are there and you will read them 3 or 4 times. But nothing will sink in.
Configuration examples are there alright, but there was no clear, separate explanation of each and every component of the architecture. When and where do we use MP-BGP, where do we redistribute which protocol, and so forth. You will have to do a lot of figuring out on your own, which will certainly mean a lot of guessing. And that is NOT why I bought a book on MPLS and VPNs :-)
This is not a book written in a style which assumes that you know nothing about the subject. On the contrary, it is so complicated that I think you need to know everything beforehand, and this book is only for reference ! This is certainly NOT a book for MPLS dummies (like myself).
The above conclusions I arrived at after I read one specific resource. Try to read the Cisco authorized course material, which is simply the instructor projector slides printed on paper, and a little explanation under it. Forget about the exam for a little while. For whoever is interested in REALLY understanding MPLS, and really understanding where each protocol goes, and the where and how and why of almost anything related to MPLS and VPNs, read that resource. Then compare it to this book. You will get my point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Details, Details, and more Details, January 3, 2001
Darryl (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars confusing, badly structured, November 11, 2005
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
If you are looking for a clearly written book on mpls and vpn, don't buy this one. You probably will get much useful information from cisco's website.

The book is carried in a confusing way and the authors can't present clearly what problem they're trying to solve, or the logics behind the solutions. Most parts of the books is words piled up together without much meaning or logic.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a geat book!, September 29, 2002
Hao Zhong (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
Ivan and Jim did a splendid job. I haven't read such a well-written book in a long time. It is perfect for not only the people who are looking for a thorough understanding of MPLS, but also the begginers who know nothing about it. All the concepts are explained in great detail, and the language is so smooth, it makes the reading an enjoyment. Since the book is mainly focused on MPLS, you will need a good understanding of how BGP works before start reading this book (such as BGP synchronization and how to get aroung it). I am sure you will like this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all the Exam Topics are covered. Confuse, November 5, 2004
Today I have done my 642-611 MPLS Exam. Before that, I studied the MPLS and VPN architectures. Latter, I decided to buy also the CCIP edition to study any new topic not covered by the previous edition. What have been my surprise when taking the exam and seeing several topics not covered by the CCIP edition (as EIGRP, detailed description of the LDP/TDP protocol operation and so on). I think that the way in what that book has been written, is quite confused. It is not a good starting book for the MPLS and VPN topic. I am aware that the book covers in depth several topics not related with the exam (no question at all about RR and Confederation, inter AS routing and so on) that are quite good when working with MPLS/VPN technology, but I must say that the book is not as good when trying to prepare your CCIP exam.

Any case, I have passed the exam thanks to this book so it, at the end, it has been good enough. Also, I think that is the unique Cisco Press book that covers MOST (but not all) the exam topics.

For all that, only three starts. Over the base of five, one less for not cover all the topics, and another less for being quite confuse for non initiated on the topic.

Samuel Bonete.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written book, November 8, 2001
John Willis (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
I have been looking for a good book on MPLS. This book covers Frame-mode VPNs in great detail. I have read this book repeatedly and have absorbed a great deal on Frame based MPLS VPNs. The examples presented are succinct and to the point.
The discussion on Internet connectivity to MPLS VPNs is also presented very well. I would encourage the authors to discuss hybrid IPsec and MPLS VPNs and ATM VPNs in the next edition.
All in all, a well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete and concise reference for MPLS, January 24, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
An excellent presentation of the theoretical and practical aspects of MPLS and MPLS VPNs. The authors examine the mechanics of MPLS and they present numerous topologies and configurations for designing and implementing MPLS VPNs. This book is a must for anyone involved with deploying MPLS VPNs.

5.0 out of 5 stars MPLS and VPN Architectures, December 6, 2000
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
I found this book a excellent reference and any person or company planning on deploying MPLS. The Notes are very helpful and assist with real issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Global Knowledge Instructor Review, December 23, 2003
This review is from: MPLS and VPN Architectures (Hardcover)
Great book! I read this one 3 years ago when it was brand new (12/03 now). Only one problem.... a lot of errors and a lot of old command syntax. If you're brand new to MPLS VPNs and Cisco's CLI, buy the CCIP edition of this book with the corrections and updating. If you have "some" experience, buy this book with confidence (I just re-purchased a used copy because I gave my copy away a while ago). Great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 20, 2014
Very informative

MPLS and VPN Architectures
MPLS and VPN Architectures by Jim Guichard (Hardcover - October 31, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.77