5.0 out of 5 stars Flush your problems away!
Our toilet was always clogging and when we started noticing water damage to the ceiling below from overflows, it was time to do something about it. I found that the Toto Ultramax had a lot of great reviews on some plumber guy named Terry Love's web page.

Published on January 19, 2006 by Kai Alexis Price

1.0 out of 5 stars sent wrong model toilet
The problem is that the description of the toilets on the Amazon web site is unreliable. For after much research about Toto toilets I ordered the Toto Gmax elongated cotton white toilet.
as soon as all THREE were installed and I flushed one, I knew it was not flushing like the
Published on October 10, 2011 by Country Bumpkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Flush your problems away!, January 19, 2006

I then researched the features on Toto USA's web page (you can get a toilet footprint from them so you know it will fit, and also see some demonstrations of the technologies used).

* Sleek high profile one piece toilet with elongated bowl.

Very comfortable.

* G-Max: Quiet, powerful, commercial grade flushing performance.

* Fast Flush: Wide 3" flush valve is 125% larger than conventional 2" flush valves.

* Wider, 2 1/8" computer designed, fully glazed trapway

* Large water surface

Works great. I still clog it sometimes, but it comes unclogged easy and I have no worries about overflowing.

* Complete with SoftClose seat, or upgrade to a Washlet.

The SoftClose seat means no more banging noise when dropping the lid!

Of course I also purchased the model with SaniGloss (model SG instead of S), because the bowl stays cleaner.

The place I ordered it shipped freight but it was carefully wrapped by the manufacturer to prevent damage.

It's more expensive than cheaper toilets but you will love it. Just make sure you get the price you want and read the fine print VERY carefully to make sure you get teh features you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars The king of all toilets!, August 7, 2008
This review is from: TOTO MS854114S#01 Ultramax Elongated One Piece Toilet, Cotton White (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased my first home in March of 2008, which was built in the early 1950's. I put in a Kohler Cimarron toilet because I was told that it had a strong flush, but I had nothing but problems with it. I replaced the majority of my pipes thinking that was the problem, but the clogs and overflows kept coming. After numerous calls to the plumber someone recommended the Toto Ultramax. I did my research online and found that everyone seemed to love theirs. I just bought the Toto and it flushes like a dream. I can't even believe it! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be this excited over a toilet, but plumbing problems can make you crazy. The toilet was costly, but worth every penny! Now that I don't have to call a plumber all of the time I figure it will pay for itself in a year. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is the best, May 9, 2010
We bought this model of Toto from Amazon about two months ago. It replaced an Eljer model that had been highly rated in Consumer Reports back in 2003 that got backed-up multiple times a week. Older low flow toilets did not work well in houses that had plumbing for conventional 3.4 (or more) gallons per flush toilets. The TOTO was engineered specifically for a powerful flush without having to have a pressure assist mechanism in the tank and without the pipes having to be plumbed for a low flow toilet. This toilet has never gotten stopped up despite being the only usable toilet in a house with five users. This toilet was rated very highly on Terry Love's plumbing blog on the section on consumer reviews of low flow toilets. You can see it here: [...]
We bought it from Amazon because the price was much cheaper than anywhere else and had zero problems with the delivery. It was hundreds less than our local plumbing specialty supply store.

I only wish we could have two more just like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this toilet, July 23, 2007
We moved into a 5 year old home and discovered that the toilets had very weak flushes. At first we thought this was a plumbing issue and spent some time trying to unclog the toilets.

Finally we figured out that the toilets simply didn't provide a very powerful flush. After reviewing a number of toilets online, including the pressure assisted ones we decided on the Toto Ultramax because of the good things people were saying about it. We chose it over the pressure assisted ones because it works like a normal toilet and doesn't require replacing catridges.

We got it home and an hour later had it installed. It is pretty much everything we hoped it would be. It provides a quick, efficient and powerful flush. Depsite the fact the tank is significantly smaller than the toilet we replaced it does a much better job of flushing and proved once and for all that the plumbing was never a problem.

Also the toilet has a dual flush system to help save even more water. A quick flush for liquids and a full flush for...umm...you know...number 2 depending on how long you hold the handle down. *EDIT* my mistake, this feature is not in this model apparently. I feel foolish for doing the 'light 'flush all this time. Oh well, after 2 years I still love this toilet.

Pros: Looks great, installs like a normal toilet, powerful flush that gets rid of everything in one flush, neat slow closing seat and lid action

Cons: a litle pricey (but worth it!), seat isn't as comfortable as some.

1.0 out of 5 stars sent wrong model toilet, October 10, 2011
Gmax toilets that originally caused us to buy Toto. The boxes from Amazon were marked with the correct model number
but when we read the number under the lid of the toilet to the Toto headquarters they said we had gotten the Ultima model instead.
This model does not have the flushing force of the Gmax and thus is less effective.
After hours of research and getting parts prices as well as the plumber estimate for switching out the parts I spoke with a very
helpful Amazon customer service agent who gave me a refund to cover the correct parts as well as the plumbers charges for replacing the existing ones.
This was of course more cost effective for Amazon than paying for the removal, replacement service, and retrieving the wrong toilets
The only thing that didn't get compensated was my time and trouble.
I am concerned mostly that others who order Toto products from Amazon may unwittingly get the wrong item. And in the case of the toilet might not realize it.
I knew what the flush was supposed to be so I noticed it. I also looked at the installation booklet and didn't find my model number listed on the front with the many others
I doubt that Amazon will go to the trouble to open the boxes in the warehouse to make sure of the identity of the contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Toilet, February 18, 2008
J. COPPA (West Coast USA) - See all my reviews
I installed the first UltraMax over 7 years ago replacing a builder grade piece of junk. I replaced the second builder grade piece of junk toilet about 5 years ago. Neither have ever needed to be plunged. They are remarkable to say the least and worth every penny. I have finally had it with the third and final builder grade piece of junk and am purchasing one more UltraMax.

4.0 out of 5 stars En TOTO toilet MS854114S, March 5, 2009
G. reyes (El Sereno, California) - See all my reviews
Will try and avoid puns. This model is bit too noisy, unless the innards are not adjusted. I figure it is noisy as this model uses more water or has a bit larger in-tank drain circumference? The top tank lid slopes downward so it is unwise to place something on it which might slide off. The seat lids(both) pneumatically ease down noiselessly so the whole neighborhood doesn't hear them slapped down. Otherwise, it works and is well-made and designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best toilet by far. WATCH OUT FOR SHIPPING!, June 25, 2010
The toilet itself is great. It never needs to be flushed twice and does not have issues with clogging like our American Standard Cadet 1-piece toilet does. Also, the Sana Gloss coating is worth the extra $25 as it keeps the bowl much cleaner.

HOWEVER: The first toilet was air shipped from AZ to MN. When CEVA finally brought it to my house, I helped the guy lift it out of his car and I heard something clank. Bad news! We opened the box and found that the entire base was broken off. We loaded it back up and the CEVA guy took it back. So, AMAZON proceeds to send me a new toilet which was air shipped from IN to MN. This time, the delivery day passes by so I call CEVA in person. They said the toilet sounded like broken glass when it arrived from the airport. Great. So, tired of waiting 3 weeks for a toilet, I gave up on AMAZON and they refunded my order. I didn't pay any of the shipping costs either (free shipping). I ended up buying locally, spending about $120 more, and had it dropped off the same day. Even at this price I still love this toilet. So my word to you is this: THE TOILET IS EXCELLENT BUT BEWARE OF SHIPPING!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, just bought 2nd, April 27, 2010
ZJS (California) - See all my reviews
We have older toilets that were clogging and/or leaking and based on our research we chose to purchase this toilet (without the sanagloss as another reviewer stated you cannot use bleach based products on a sanagloss finish, though I could find nothing on the Toto web site on this). We bought the one as a test, and intend to replace the other two toilets in the house also. Oddly enough, the plumber who installed was impressed with our choice as well and he asked where we picked it up (he is a Kohler reseller). Initial impression of the functionality is very positive flush is quick and powerful, refill cycle is short, toilet is quiet.

The one negative was the delivery (delivery company CEVA). We are a Amazon Prime customer and this product was supposed to be delivered on Thursday but we did not receive until Monday and no one contacted us to say the delivery would be late or why.

05/01/10 Update
First one worked so well, uses so much less water, one piece design makes for fewer points of failure, and the slow closing seat is a plus - that we have ordered a second for the kids bathroom. Ordered on 4/27 and this time CEVA delivered on 4/30 - huge improvement on our first experience. When we remodel the downstairs bath we will likely buy another.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product!, August 14, 2010
I got this for about a month now. So far I am happy with this toilet. It flushes very well, using little water. So far, never have to flush twice. Installation was very easy, but I've replaced many toilets before. If you want to save some money, you should consider the two piece Toto EcoDrake toilet. I got that one too and am also very happy with it.

I was worried a little bit about delivery based on some other reviews, but took a chance. It came perfect, but the packaging was pretty minimal, and I could see how the item could be easily damaged. You should check the box to see if there's any side of damage before you open the box. I started opening the box before I signed the paper, and the driver said "it's your now".