5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Toilet
I carefully reviewed this toilet by looking at all sorts of reviews online before purchasing it because this is an expensive toilet. I noted a bunch of reviewers professing love for the toilet. I thought these reviewers overstated their opinions, but I now realize I was wrong: This is an outstanding item.

We've had it now for about 5 weeks and I am impressed...
Published on September 6, 2009 by Mark Rush

3.0 out of 5 stars Functions great but VERY difficult to keep clean
Published on June 10, 2010 by L. Ruben

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Toilet, September 6, 2009
Mark Rush (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TOTO MS854114SG-01 Ultramax Elongated One Piece Toilet with Sanagloss, Cotton White (Tools & Home Improvement)

We've had it now for about 5 weeks and I am impressed. It definitely saves water and does an effective flushing job. No one in my family has had to flush twice, which is certainly not the case with our older, inefficient toilets. The flushing action is (very) fast and is reasonably quiet. In my opinion, it is quiet enough so that noise is not a concern. Initially I was nonplussed with the seat because it's sculpted so that it is concave. But after a week or so I believe it's the most comfortable seat of all our toilets. The SanaGloss aspect seems to work well but because I do not own a similar toilet without SanaGloss, I can't be totally confident about this opinion. I hired a plumber to install the toilet so I cannot comment on the ease or difficulty of installation.

I guess the highest praise I can offer this item is that I now plan ultimately to replace all my toilets with this toilet. It will take a while for me to do so because these ARE expensive (plus in my area there is another approximate $100 charge by a plumber for installation). But the quality and efficiency of this toilet has given me this goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Simply amazing... made me a believer., June 3, 2010
I was reluctant to replace one of our old 7 gallon toilets because our septic line is... well, there isn't much slope, certainly not enough. However the septic system is getting a little old and I thought this might help reduce the fluid load. I was not convinced that solids would be properly flushed through our long, not quite perfect sewer lines, but I figured we could flush a couple of times if necessary. Boy, was I wrong!

This thing flushes so fast that the water rockets through the pipe, thus not allowing clogs to form in the septic line.

In addition, I put it in March 18, 2010 and as of today, June 3, 2010 I have not cleaned the interior (3 months? Really? Yes!). Am I a bad housekeeper? Heck no, but this thing (sanigloss is the key here) does not get dirty, it is still sparkling white with no signs of needing even a sponging! Sure, the rim, base and seat but not the interior. While this can't last indefinitely (can it??), I am more than happy with my purchase - even though pricey (I paid 409.97 with free shipping - freight).

Pros:

Saves enormous amounts of water (and septic field strain) over the 7 gallon toilets. On average 10 flushes a day per person, roughly 5 1/2 gallons per flush, which amounts to well over 50 gallons per day per person. This alone is worth it (ever priced out a new drainfield??).

The one piece design makes cleaning much easier.

It does not lean against the wall as the old two piece toilets do, there is about 1" of space between the wall and the tank. This allows you to paint behind it without removing the toilet. Also no more mold from the damp tank top. I don't care much about the look of a toilet (Listen honey, IT IS A TOILET NOT ART), but it isn't ugly for those who care.

The seat is pretty cool - it closes slowly.

Very fast flush. You can also hold the handle down and get just a little more 'boost', although it is not necessary unless your horses are using it (maybe not even then - go see the video on the toto site that shows them flushing about... oh 20 'logs'.)

Fifty gallons a day times 30 equals 1500 gallons of water per month PER PERSON using this toilet over a high flow. Ergo you get a savings, albeit small, on the water bill. Or if you are drawing water from a well, you get the benefit of not drawing the well down by that amount times the number of people using it, wearing out the pump and possibly losing your aquafer.

Cons? I can't think of any except the price. Well, OK, it is heavy. Too heavy for me to pick it up and place it properly. Ergo I got my Great Big Strong Husband to pick it up and place it on the pipe, otherwise I did the install myself.

I will be installing another one in the guest bath when I save up the $$ later this year.

I am completely sold on Toto.

Update 2010-08-21! I am still amazed that this toilet (inside) is so CLEAN! I have wiped it down only once since it was installed and it is still sparky clean. It doesn't even have calcium building up inside the bowl as every other toilet in our house does (within a week of cleaning it), the finish is THAT slick. Folks it has been an amazing 6 months since installation and wiped it down once? How can that be? But I swear to you it is true.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing! TOTO ROCKS!

Update: 2010-12-27: That toilet is still extremely clean. There is the tiniest amount of calcium film forming (but only a tiny amount - I can feel it if I run my fingernail over the inside of the bowl). I am going to break the rules and use some lime away on it. The toilet is not getting dirty inside, but the calcium build-up will, in fact, attract and hold crud as the calcium continues to precipitate out. So I'll report again in another month or two and tell you how the 'lime away' does. The directions for cleaning the Totl say you are not supposed to use acids, but we have very hard water up here, and nothing else removes calcium except extremely abrasive scrubbing. Still, even if the Sanigloss is damaged by using a mild acid to remove the calcium, it will do NOTHING to change my opinion or star rating. Nothing lasts forever, as my wise sister-in-law says, but I am still stunned by the performance.

Still Very Amazed at this product!!!

Update: 2012-05-13 My original toilet is still great!! I have to swish it sometimes, and I do admit to having to use a little bit of lime away on a sponge to remove the calcium that our extremely hard water builds up. But no big deal and it doesn't seem to harm the sanigloss. It is still months between having to do this, and it remains very clean!

I just bought two new Toto's of this same design. I am not a believer in the 1.* gallon flushers. 2.6 is still an amazingly low amount of water to use and I am getting rid of two 7+ gallon flushers (contractor grade nasty things that they are - over 30 years old now). Putting in something called sani seal rings (rather than wax) and we'll see how things go. I see that Amazon has this toilet back on 'Prime', for a while it was removed, probably as a result of bad packing at the supplier. I bought my two new ones elsewhere. They came packed in cardboard from the factory, strapped to a pallet, BUT there was a 2" piece of foam under each of the boxes, to keep them from jarring. I believe that is where the problem with breakage occurred. Inspect your toilet when you get it, before the shipper leaves the property.

More later!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bathroom Update!, November 16, 2009
priss2121 (alexandria, va) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I just bought a TOTO Ultramax one piece toilet based on a recommendation from my contractor. We are currently in the midst of a Master Bath remodel and the toilet was installed today. I am not sure that you can Love an inanimate object such as a toilet, but I do. When you have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars having older two piece toilets fixed and constantly rebuilt, you can appreciate the true beauty of great quality and modern design. The TOTO is comfy, and sleek and the flush capacity is great!, all while utilizing less water than the older models. Talk about a powerful flush!!! It also has a Sani-Gloss Finish which means that the interior and exterior are coated with a gloss making it much easier to keep clean and resist stains. I researched pricing thoroughly before buying and found it online (at a different site) for $100 dollars less--including freight shipping! That's a steal! After seeing the TOTO installed, my husband immediately said to me "you should replace the other toilets in the house" I nodded and smiled. I had already ordered 2 more for our other bathrooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as Promised, February 18, 2010
I ordered this toilet based on the many positive reviews and so far I have not been disappointed. The only cons are the toilet seat is not as comfortable as flat correctly angled seat. I do like the controlled opening and closing mechanism though. Be warned you cannot use bleach on Sanagloss toilets. It would have been nice to know that upfront. In spite of that I highly recommend this toilet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, April 29, 2010
Amazon Customer (Beaumont, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
During a recent home remodel we decided to purchase new toilets for both of our bathrooms. As always I did my research and found that many people suggested this as the one to get however with the price so high I wanted to be very sure before pleading my case to my wife! I spoke to a classmate who has been a professional plumber since high school (25+ years) and as soon as I mentioned the brand he told me it is by far the best unit on the market. After hearing that he uses these toilets at home :) I decided to bite!

True to what I have read and the response from my friend I have to admit that this is the BEST toilet that we have ever purchased. The units have been installed and used now for a year and we have not had one problem with the operation. So far both my youngest son and grandson have not been able to impeed the unit.

The one piece design is very sleek and unique and has received many good comments from our bathroom visitors. It has a very unique flushing sound which is due to the design of flush and the water saving feature. Finally I opted for the unit with the sanagloss finish which allows the refuse to go down without leaving any traces! I have to admit that there are times some traces can be found but it is very rare! This was part of my plea to my wife and after hearing that it required less cleaning she was sold.

I would recommend you search both high and low for the best price. I finally found these units from a plumbing supply shop in Montana and after I told them I would buy two units they worked me a deal I cound'nt pass up. Basically I got both units with shipping for just over $600.

The units arrived on-time however because of the weight they were sent via freight. Both units were indivually boxed and mounted on a pallet and about two weeks later my friend and plumber came over to professionally install them!

One thing to note is that no additional parts or accessories were needed although you can get a heated seat or automatic seat we just choose the regular seat which is soft close seat, which means the seat will not slam against the porcelain it just slowly closes without any sound. This will cause one problem and that is whenever I travel or use restrooms at other places I tend to just let the seat go (thinking I am at home) of course alerting everyone within ear range of what I just did!

All in all I feel you would be very happy with this purchase at least we are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flusher, just like all the reviews I've read, December 12, 2011
I'll admit I spent a ridiculous amount of time reading review about toilets before purchasing the three replacements for the dinosaurs in our house. Between the Terry Love plumbing site, and the Youtube flushing reviews, it wasn't too long before I knew I would be buying a Toto. It turns out you have to be pretty selective between the different models though, depending on what you're looking for.

I initially was interested in the "ebony" (black) color, but saw a few reviews that talked me out of that (never looks clean, every speck of dust shows up immediately, seat scratches show up right away, etc.). Still, it probably would have looked awesome for the first five minutes after it was cleaned though. :)

Then, I was going to buy the Colonial White, but first I had the fortune of seeing both the Cotton and Colonial White installed. The Colonial White is kind of a "dirty white", so I went with the Cotton, and I'm really glad I did. It looks fantastic -- very clean and crisp.

Packaging was great. It came in the original box, and there weren't any problems with the 3rd party shipper either. They proposed a 4-hour window, I asked for a 2-hour window, and they arrived right in the middle of the 2-hour window -- excellent! The delivery guys were very polite and patient while I opened the box and pulled out the toilet to make sure there weren't any damages. (I had already received a crushed Nexus a few days earlier, so I had learned my lesson). Note, by the way, that the 3rd-party shipper requires you to sign for receipt before you can open to expect for damages, so you might want to note on the shipping invoice that you're signing prior to inspecting. (Unfortunately, this is only one of three toilets from Amazon that actually made it to me. The Toto Nexus was crushed during shipping, and I'm still waiting on a replacement. A Toto Ultimate was delayed for several weeks at a 3rd-party shipper. So, note that you may need to plan for extra time when having a toilet shipped from Amazon)

Installation was a breeze, even though this is the first toilet I've ever installed. After watching a few installation videos on youtube, and reading the Toto installation guide, it took me a couple of hours to remove the old one and install this new Ultramax.

I was skeptical about the renowned "flush power", since I was moving from a 5+ gal (35-year-old) toilet to a 1.6g Toto, but the proof was in the ... pudding (so to speak). One flush, and not even a hint of remnants remain. I'm not sure if it's unique to my flapper's performance or if this is normal, but you may notice that under a normal flush only 2/3 of the tank gets used in the flush, but that's plenty of power. If you want more water to be used during the flush just hold the handle down and the rest of the tank empties in about 1 second. However, I haven't seen the need for this extra water volume in any of the, um, ... uses that I've seen so far.

In case you're looking at other Toto's, I checked out the Carlyle, Nexus, Drake, Ultimate, and Aquia. I have the Ultimate in one bathroom, and will soon be installing the Nexus in another. I like the Ultramax (this one) a bit better than the Ultimate on flushing performance. Further, while the Nexus is has a more compelling "look", now that I've actually installed this Ultramax it turns out that it looks great. Very clean and modern. I would have been happy putting this one in all three bathrooms.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functions great but VERY difficult to keep clean, June 10, 2010
We remodeled our house in 2008 and I deliberated for hours over toilets. We had constant clogging problems with our old American Standard toilets. We have two of these Ultramax with Sanagloss 1.28g toilets and they function great. We have only had 1-2 clogs in the past 18 months since they were installed. The big drawback is that they are very, very difficult to keep clean, even with the highly touted "Sanagloss" feature. Many reviews I had read indicated this but I let the functionality of the toilet take precedence over the cleaning drawbacks.

They are hard to keep clean for two reasons. First, some of the boys in my house like to pee sitting down, and the angle of the bowl is such that the pee hits the bowl and sprays against the underside of the toilet seat. If I don't clean this 2-3 times a week, it is extremely difficult to get off. Second, the toilet brush is too big to clean the narrow channel around the bowl where the water rinses everything down, so I have to put gloves on and clean it with a sponge.

Aside from the functionality, I do really like the fact that I don't have to hear the toilet lid being slammed down after each use. Elongated lid covers do not fit these toilets, so that is another thing to consider when choosing this toilet. You would be surprised how much dust collects on top of the toilet lids.

If I had to select again, I would not choose these toilets simply because they are a pain to keep clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toilet, January 10, 2011
I wanted to replace the 16yr old toilet in my house so after doing some researches online, this toilet became my top choice.
I have to say it's much quieter than I thought, and the flush seems powerful.

Its average rating is not pretty fair since most of the complaints are from shipping problems. I didn't encounter any shipping problem and would love to rate it 5-star for now. :)

Let's see how it works in the next few months. If there is any problem, I'll update my review. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased, July 27, 2010
By far the best commode on the market. Always works, doesn't leak, economical to use, stays clean - buy one you will not be unhappy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., January 6, 2013
I love this toilet. It is quiet and the tank fills up quickly. Now wish I ordered the comfort height and this one is regular height.

ARRAY(0xd99ee57c)