4.0 out of 5 stars Should I Buy This?
The Toto brand was written into the requirement specs by my architect, and for good reason. They make the best toilets.

Published on June 22, 2011 by Harry

1.0 out of 5 stars crappy crapper!
As a plumber for over 20 years I have seen a lot of overrated product.I am just sick of overseas junk pushed on cutomers. Worst company for shipping or parts. Hard to clean, the holes on the rim collect particles, does not fit most jobs. The bowl hits the wall on standard rough-in, you get to remove your baseboard! They fail to mention the floor adaptor that has 2 more...
Published 2 months ago by jon

4.0 out of 5 stars Should I Buy This?, June 22, 2011
Harry (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TOTO MS854114SL-01 Ultramax ADA One Piece Toilet, Cotton White (Tools & Home Improvement)

I purchased two toilets: this Toto and an American Standard toilet to match another bathroom. After five years of use, I can report this: the only time the Toto backed-up was when a group of ill-behaved teenage guys were guests in the house. The American Standard has backed up many times, although I would not say it happens frequently. Also, the Toto always clears the bowl on the first flush. The American Standard sometimes needs two flushes and I always limit the amount of toilet paper to three per flush.

The only thing to be aware of is that the Toto's flush is loud. Not really a problem unless you use it often at night, have light sleepers and put it near that bedroom. The loud flush is what makes the flush powerful than others.

One more thing to be aware of: A recent article suggested that higher toilet seats, while more comfortable and easier to use, puts the user in an unnatural position for use and can cause gastro-intestinal problem in the long runs. The natural position is crouching. But many of us really need the extra height.

Should I buy this? Yes. I've been happy. If not this one, then at least a Toto. My architect knew what he was talking about.

Helpful? Click yes, if so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a piece of crapper!, November 28, 2008
Julie Rutherford (Long Pond, PA United States) - See all my reviews
The toilet was istalled by my husband for my mother in law who is 81 yrs old. She loves it. The added height helps and she likes the extra room on the enlongated model. It flushes so nice and quiet and you only have to flush once! My husband used a wax free seal and he says it works very well, not so messy. We did a lot of research on toilets and this is rated the very best by plumbers and users. We agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Toilet in the WORLD!, April 26, 2011
Toto Ultramax MS854114SL (SL means it is the tall version)

I researched toilets for a couple of months back when we put in our first bathroom. This had great reviews back then and from the reading I did it was the clear winner. I bought this almost 3 years ago and we, a family of 4, have been happy users all this time.

I'll start with the most important paragraph then hit the other points in a more logical way...

The Flush: I have HATED low-flow toilets ever since they came out. My Grandmother put one in several years before I got this one and it has had nothing but trouble. We have to flush it 2 or 3 times for anything solid. Plus it had weak internals and randomly leak-flushed. After experiencing that P.O.S. toilet I was dismayed at the thought of having to buy my own low-flow and pined for the robust flushes of my youth. Toto had some 1.28 GPF toilets but when I saw they had this 1.6 GPF I marked that down as "necessary". I have no idea how the 1.28s work, but this 1.6 one is GREAT. I have put some monsters down this toilet and there has never even been a slight hiccup. We have never plunged nor double flushed. It is a dream toilet with a supreme flush.

Installation: I used a wax-free toilet seal (3 inch) since we have in-floor heating and a wax seal would melt. That was easy as all you do is peal the sticker back off the rubber seal, flip the toilet upside down, paste the seal over the column-hole thingy, flip the toilet back around and lower it onto the hole in the floor while guiding the two screws up through the holes in the toilet base. It took about 4 minutes and there was never a problem afterward.

Over all presentation: The lines are clean and it is attractive. The single piece design is super easy to clean and I no longer have to fish sponges, wipies or rags through the tank crack. I originally wanted an enclosed trap design so I could just sponge off the sides, but this is so smooth and easy to clean that it is just as good.

Seat height: This is one of very few toilets that I liked that has a seat height above 17 inches (the SL in MS854114SL). I am 6 foot, 180 lbs. My wife is 5'9" (and nobody knows how much she weighs). We are both tall with long legs and the seat height is PERFECT. I feel like I'm squatting when I use standard height toilets now, so be careful if you get this, it will spoil you.

Seat: The seat that comes with it is brilliant. You can "drop" the seat (and/or cover) and it will slowly and quietly lower itself into the closed position. Or you can push it down of you are doing the wee-wee dance and don't feel like waiting. Either way, it never slams down and I love not hearing that crash anymore. Additionally, the seat is molded in a way that if you have small children who are learning how to urinate while sitting it somehow catches the pee that passes between the stool and the seat. The underside is curved upward but other than that it is a mystery how it works. I have never cleaned urine dribbles off the front of the toilet but I frequently have to paper off the underside of the seat after my son misses the water. It is a small but nice feature. Lastly, it is amazingly comfortable. My wife wanted to get a padded seat but we waited for some reason and after we used the toilet for a week we have never thought about the padded toilet seat again.

The tank: There have been no problems so the only times I've looked into the tank was back when we didn't have running water for a while and I had to manually fill the tank from stored water. My only gripe with the design is that the glue holding the Velcro onto the lid was not stronger than the Velcro, so both pieces of Velcro now stay on the tank side and serve as a cushion for the lid. I would have preferred a tank lid that was molded to fit so the Velcro wouldn't be needed. But it looks nice and it has never fallen off, so it isn't a big deal.

I just bought our second Toto Ultramax MS854114SL today to put into our 2nd bathroom which we are finally finishing up this week. I don't know a better way to endorse this than to buy another one. Oh, my Mom loves this toilet now, too, and will be getting several when she and my Dad remodel their bathrooms this summer.
____________________
Update 25 March 2013
These toilets are still going strong. We did have a small issue last month, but it was easily resolved: The toilets both started randomly flowing, making a high pitched squeal. At first, we fixed it by flushing the toilet, but over the course of a couple of months the problem got worse until there was a very small, constant flow after flushing. I initially thought that the flappers had worn out, but when I stuck my hand into the reservoir to do a tactile inspection of them, I noted that they were coated in a slippery film. We have a salt-water system in the house, so maybe it is just a reaction between the salt and plastic, not sure. Anyway, I rubbed the flappers between my thumb and fingers until they no longer felt slippery and, WALLA, the problem is no more. We are still very happy with these toilets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, March 3, 2011
This is my first time submitting a review on Amazon for anything and I am a Prime member who utilizes Amazon monthly. The TOTO arrived in perfect shape with all items. Install was a snap in my newly remodeled master bath. This toilet replaces a old Gerber which I liked because it was not a low flow toilet. My only complaint with the Gerber was even with flushing 7.5 gallons or more per flush in recent months it was getting stopped up 2 to 3 times a week. I have not been a fan of low flow toilets (in my experience most leave residue with 1 flush). The TOTO Ultramax has changed my opinion. It does the job with 1 flush, less water (1.5 gallons)and no leftover residue. It also looks great. The elongated bowl and ADA height make it comfortable for everyone in my household (2 adults, and 2 teenagers).
My toilet wasn't purchased with the sanagloss feature, but whatever coating it has in the bowl resists staining.
Overall it is a pricey toilet (you could buy 2 or 3 toilets from your local home improvement store for the price of 1 TOTO) but in my opinion best toilet I have used. I am retired US Army, I have utilized toilets worldwide in my career (most other countries have either been utilizing low flow for years or they don't regulate water usage)and hands down this is the best looking toilet, that performs perfectly with less use of resources I have ever utilized.
Think on this, when you like whatever you have purchased you don't think about the cost. I my experience, I only sweat the cost on things I don't like. I really like the TOTO Ultramax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have got this years ago, August 23, 2010
T. Zenner (Minneapolis MN) - See all my reviews
I've had this toilet now for almost 4 months. My only regret is I should have done it a long time ago. I bought the ADA because I am tall, and love the extra height. When I bought it, I searched a long time for an ADA model that listed 'Sanagloss' as an option, and never found one. BUT: the one I got MUST have it anyway, OR, if it doesn't, then you don't need it because this thing stays clean under the waterline. Just leave it be, and when you come back in 4-5 hours, it's clean. Of course a quick 10 second brushing once a month or so doesn't hurt to 'knock the dust off' so to speak. Flushing is very good for a 1.6gpf unit. It's my first one and I was used to the old 3gpf units, but this one flushes just as well as any of them, and better than some of them. So far it's always one flush. My one 'negative' is it has a limited 'bowl wash' when you flush, but it seems to be 'enough' anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference 2 inches makes, August 22, 2010
Kenneth J. Whelan (Madison Heights, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Great toilet, works good, looks good, and the extra 2 inches in height of the bowl rim really makes it much more comfortable to physically use.
Equipped mine with the Toto C110 Washlet, for added hygiene and comfort, and the combination looks great.
Fit and finish of the this toilet is excellent, and mechanically it works as advertised. Also I might add, It's a great flusher, using little water( 1.6 gals.) You won't regret purchasing this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars best we've ever owned, December 29, 2010
Randy D. Mushtare (Waterville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Shipping was quick but first one arrived broken. We refused shipment and Amazon quickly shipped another. Installation was fast and went through without a hitch. We have put our plunger away - it no longer needs to sit next to the toilet. Each flush rinses the entire bowl clean with an amazingly small amount of water. Keeps it clean and pristine! Higher height is a real plus and the elongated seat is great for the guys. Lid closes oh so gently, no more accidental slams. We feel like it's the last toilet we'll ever need to buy! We highly recommend the investment... better than throwing your money repeatedly into cheaper models!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great potty!, July 11, 2010
After my wife had a recent serious illness it was necessary for us to obtain an ADA toilet that would make life easier for both of us. I began my research and found Toto built what we needed. The first toilet arrived in pieces(broke in shipment). The second arrived without a defect. It seems funny to get excited about a toilet, but this unit did what all toilets should do. It is very water efficient, comfortable to physically use, would flush anything, is quiet, and is esthetically pleasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toto ADA compliant toilet, November 22, 2010
For a toilet, this is both an excellent and an "interesting" product. Not only meets certain ADA requirements, including a more "convenient" height...but it also appears to be extremely efficient in water usage. Our yongest son likes to flush it, just to watch it work. Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, great experience, December 7, 2010
First of all the Toto Ultramax is a great item & the price from the Amazon vendor was better than good. The delivery was fast & flawless. Installation was a breeze. Will do again when the second bathroom remodel begins.

Rate and Discover Movies