5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective
Published on August 24, 2009 by MuxDux

1.0 out of 5 stars broke within first 2-3 hours of usage
I dont like writting negative reviews, but i have to be honest so people know what to expect.

Published on May 15, 2011 by Someone in NYC named

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, August 24, 2009
MuxDux (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MSA Safety Works 817662 Paint and Pesticide Respirator (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used this respirator for four years when grinding fiberglass and boat antifouling paint and have been amazed at how well it filters and how relatively comfortable it is. Nothing perceptible gets through this filter--it is a world of difference compared to those cheap masks you strap around your face. After a particularly messy job this weekend I finally took it apart to see how the filters were doing, and the prefilters were pretty well clogged up. Certainly an easy fix. Everyone with a grinder or sander should own a respirator like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mask, October 27, 2007
I know this is a paint and pesticide mask, but its a grat woodworking mask as well. I have been a avid woodworker for over 25 years, and wish someone would have given me this mask long ago. Since I am not getting any younger and fine particle dust has become a real concern to woodworkers I believe this is an excellent mask if you do or do not use a central dust collection system while working with wood. I know there are cheapr masks out there that are rated for woodworking but do not filtrate down to the micron level of this respirator, the replacement cartridges for this mask are resonable and it washes up with soap and water when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mask, March 10, 2010
I bought mine from Home Depot a long time ago and it's worked perfectly ever since. Just need to tap out the HEPA filters every so often.

My primary use is for mowing and mulching leaves (dust allergies), but I've used it for insulation and woodworking. The mask fits fine even over my beard and the soft silicone makes a nearly air-tight seal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't paint anything without one!!!, April 19, 2011
Can't believe I've been painting with a cheap white "dust" mask for years. This is a MAJOR improvement! I can paint for hours without feeling as though I'm going to pass out from the fumes. I also love not having colorful boogers anymore.

I use primarily for "rattle can" spraying in semi-closed area. The mask fits great! Very comfortable, due to the soft rubber seal. Blocks out all fumes, and paint particles.

Do your lungs a favor... buy this respirator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prevented a headache, April 16, 2010
I usually get a headache after using polyurethane, but not after wearing this mask while varnishing. fits well, soft seal around face, good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you have a small face...., November 23, 2010
---this will work but know that it would take some effort adjusting the mask over your face than it would on a person with a bigger face. There is actually enough "play" in the blue material that is supposed to cling to your face so that it would seal properly. But it you have a really small face and since the design assumed that the average face would fit the mask, the mask would have to kind of squeeze and contort around smaller faces and that is the part that takes time achieving. Tissue paper could be used to pad the spots where the strap would squish the skin because after a while that starts to hurt. I thought at first that doing that would prevent a perfect seal around the mouth and nose but it doesn't seem to do so.

After all that and once you have the right fit, it works rather well. You know this because you will not be able to smell a thing whilst staining or applying varnish. There is also enough air coming in that you do not start hallucinating two hours into an intricate varnishing job.

Anyway, if the mask came in sizes, it would have been perfect. As it is, it takes so much time fitting it around my face that once on, i just walk around with it all day, respirating loudly into the mask and saying "You have failed me for the last time!"

5.0 out of 5 stars great protection from the fumes of spray paint!, September 15, 2009
I am a housewife, age 56. I needed something to protect me from the very strong vapors while using an overhead stain sealer to cover water stains on the ceiling of our home. I did some research online and then purchased the MSA Safety Works 817662 Paint and Pesticide Respirator. It provided excellant protection from the very strong fumes of the spray paint I was using. I highly recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars broke within first 2-3 hours of usage, May 15, 2011

I bought this unit for small demolition work in my house, demolishing and old wood lath/plaster wall. The filters clogged up relatively fast when working in highly dusty environment (not the issue by any means, cleaning it brought me back into a working state). Disappointing part was that the piece that controls the band on how tight you want the mask to be on your face broke - within 2-3 hours of usage. Since i had to continue working and had no backup mask, i tied the tightening band around the area next to a filter. It got me through the day but i was disappointed. I dont know how much it would cost to make plastic tightening clip a little more sturdy - but it definitely worth spending few pennies just for this purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this, January 12, 2011
I used this when I painted my bathtub. I was so glad to have this as the paint fumes were extremely strong. This respirator worked well, I couldn't even smell a thing. It was very uncomfortable after a while, though, or I would have given it 5 stars. I suppose this is the nature of items like this, but it would be nice if someone could come up with a better comfort fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mask!!, September 5, 2010
Chris (Woodhaven Michigan) - See all my reviews
I used this mask to clean up the frame of my '02 F150 with mineral spirits and undercoat it, mask did not allow any vapors to pass through, very easy to breath with and is fairly comfortable. I was using the wrong filters at first when i started this project, a friend had given me a used mask with dry walling filters on it (i didn't know) found myself getting dizzy after about 20 minutes of cleaning, bought this mask and everything was fine, reasonable price as well!

MSA Safety Works 817662 Paint and Pesticide Respirator