5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, comfortable, lightweight
Published on October 28, 2007 by Your Average Gadgeteer

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a few months of use
Product worked well for me for awhile. I actually really liked using it.

Published on August 13, 2010 by Outcast Valkyrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, comfortable, lightweight, October 28, 2007
This review is from: MSA Safety Works 817663 Multi-Purpose Respirator (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used this respirator for over a year when using very strong cleaning fluids at home and airbrushing enamel, lacquer, and acrylic paints (some of them highly toxic). It has performed extremely well and has not let me down--I have not smelled or tasted any of the fumes at all. The mask is comfortable to wear for short or medium periods of time (up to two or three hours or so, in my case) and is fairly lightweight--I have not needed to wear it for longer, so I can't say how comfortable it would be after eight hours. It does not obstruct my vision and is compatible with my eyeglasses (a big plus for me). The straps are easy to adjust and allow you to get a good airtight seal while maintaining comfort. Breathing through the filters is a bit hard, but easier than with other respirators I have worn. The only drawback I've had is moisture condensation inside the mask, but I have yet to find a respirator that doesn't have this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 17, 2009
Andy (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I've had to use a respirator at work numerous times before and was initially a bit apprehensive buying this one for personal use. It only came in a one-size-fits-all. However, it fit perfectly and is relatively comfortable to wear. Even after several hours of work with the respirator on, and my face turning sweaty and greasy in the process, it still does a good job protecting my lungs (as evidenced from a breathe-in test while covering the cartridges). The bridge of my nose doesn't turn sore, as it used to be the case wearing a different brand of half-face respirator with combination cartridges.
I exclusively use the respirator for dust protection, and I believe the investment (it's actually one of the less expensive ones I came across) is well worth my health in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, February 27, 2011
I'm a woodworker. In my workshop I have tried 3 or 4 different versions of paper dust masks. Ones with valves, ones without valves...none of them ever got a very good seal and all of them eventually started to fog up my prescription safety glasses. I also always found myself struggling to keep my glasses resting comfortably on my nose with the mask as the two battled for the same space.

The MSA respirator was exactly what I needed. Not only does it keep the fine sawdust and fumes from my finish applications out, it fits snug, never fogs my glasses and doesn't compete for space on the bridge of my nose. Occasionally some moisture will build up inside, making the flap give a little 'pop' each time I exhale, but that's only sometimes and is really a small trade-off for all of the problems I've had with other dust masks.

The first week was a bit rough on my nose as the mask was still in 'out of the box' condition, but now it fits my face like a glove. I can't recommend it enough and never step foot in my shop anymore without it.

As with any dust mask, the cleaner shave you have, the better seal you will get.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this, April 30, 2010
Can't believe I haven't had one of these before. No more choking on sawdust. Easy to put on and take off. Also good for sounding like Darth Vader when playing with the grandkids. Don't know how it works on chemicals, but in the workshop, a mask like this is a must. WAY better than those disposable paper things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and effective respirator, October 15, 2009
Used while spray-sealing our fence on a warm day. Was quite comfortable and I couldn't smell any fumes. Did not get overly warm while wearing it and breathing was easy. Huge improvement over the paper-type masks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great..., May 7, 2010
Kevin Daugherty (Cheyenne, WY United States) - See all my reviews
The mask fits well and adjusts very easily. I used it when I put insulation in and when I finished walls with sheet rock and mud and tape. The filters work really well in keeping you from inhaling the dust from the sheet rock when cutting out openings with a router, and from sanded joint compound. Also keeps one from inhaling fibers of the insulation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally pleased, December 13, 2010
CLTKiter (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This is my second MSA respirator. The first one kept contaminants out of my body, but the elastic strap lost its stretch. Had this one for ab out a year and have had no problems at all. I use it when spraying my roses, and due to the odor of the spray, I can always tell if there's a leak. There is none (even though I have a beard). Very pleased with the respirator.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, January 30, 2010
This is an awesome product, but as with any heavy-duty respirator one ends up sounding like Darth Vader while trying to breath through one. Nevertheless, this is highly recommended for any demolition job (especially lath and plaster), drywall sanding et cetera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a few months of use, August 13, 2010
Product worked well for me for awhile. I actually really liked using it.

After a few months of general usage, the mask piece itself broke on me. One of the plastic clips which attached the straps to the mask snapped became unusable. I might have received a defective item, based on the other reviews for this product. But overall I am very dissatisfied with the quality of this piece of safety equipment. I'm probably going to buy another mask unit, but not from MSA.

-Valkyrie

5.0 out of 5 stars This Saved My Life & I am Keeping My Animals!, April 5, 2011
I was recently diagnosed with asthma and bronchitis. I bought some great Intelli-Pro air purifiers Surround Air XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro Air Purifier on Amazon, which keep the surrounding air clean in my house now. BUT, cleaning 6 large litterboxes all the time with my multiple indoor cats has caught up with my health. Getting rid of them was not an option, and I tried those worthless paper masks, but I was still breathing the cat urine ammonia into my lungs and would have to sit down to catch my breath after doing two boxes. I was literally in bed sleeping all the time and using the inhaler and trying to get air into my lungs without coughing. I have never been a smoker! I don't drink. I never did drugs. Anyway, after reading all the reviews, I decided I needed something that handled strong odors, really strong. This was my saving grace! God Bless the makers of this mask, as it fits tight as a drum and I can stick my face right into all those litterboxes if I want (I don't want to obviously) and not get one little whif of any ammonia smell, or any smell of the boxes when I am hunching or leaning over them now! It is not dreadful, scary, or debilitating anymore. The air purifiers and this mask have literally, in one month, given me my life back! My breathing has already improved, and at night when I lie down, I don't have that cracking and wheezing coming out of my chest anymore. I will say, I use this mask for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, and it does get a bit hot on the face, so if you can use it in a cooler area that is well ventilated, that would be best. It does have a tight seal on your face, so the air gets a little warm inside there. But that's the whole purpose of it, anyway. I hope this review helps someone else, because it's been a tremendous product to giving me energy again and not kill my lungs and brain anymore. Thank you, MSA Safety Works!

MSA Safety Works 817663 Multi-Purpose Respirator