4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HTPC / Mainstream Board - Only OK for Overclocking
Published on August 1, 2010 by Terrance S.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so happy
Published on February 20, 2011 by Thumble Fingers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HTPC / Mainstream Board - Only OK for Overclocking, August 1, 2010
This review is from: MSI AM3 USB 3.0 + SATA 6Gb/s 890GX Chipset AMD Motherboard 890GXM-G65 (Personal Computers)
The MSI 890GXM-G65 is positioned as a mid-range, fully-featured yet reduced size motherboard for AMD's AM3 socket. Compared to the previous generation 790GX, the biggest change is support for SATA 6.0Gbps and the inclusion of DirectX 10.1 along with a slightly faster integrated graphics processor (IGP). Also, additional PCIe Gen 2 lanes make it easy for manufacturers to add third party controllers for things like USB 3.0.

When it comes to features, the MSI 890GXM-G65 has pretty much everything including optical audio out, HDMI/DVI (You can use either HDMI or DVI but not both), VGA, USB 3.0, 2x PCIe slots, eSATA, and more. (Firewire is missing but I don't need it anymore) It also has many BIOS options for overclocking and core unlocking. (I was able to unlock and overclock my Phenom II 720 from a 2.8GHz triple core to a 3.2 quad core and optimize memory performance while undervolting the system to reduce power consumption and heat) The MSI BIOS includes a few unique features such as M-Flash that allows you to update your BIOS from...within BIOS! using any detected storage device. (I used a USB card reader with the update stored on a SD card!) The other noteworthy BIOS feature is support for multiple profiles, so you could create presets for overclocked, stock, and low power configurations. Finally, for those who care, there is no floppy disk drive connector, but there is a single PATA port for up to 2 devices.

For normal users such as the home/office/home theater crowd, the MSI 890GXM-G65 is an excellent all-around board that delivers a bunch of features and great performance at a low price. For serious overclockers and computer enthusiasts, however, the board is a bit disappointing. Despite the military-class components, fancy heatpipe cooling, and capable BIOS, the 890GXM-G65 is let down by MSI's choice of rather basic CPU power components, which seems to limit overclocking headroom. My CPU works fine at 3.4GHz core clock and 2.6GHz CPU-NB on a 790X board, but using the 890GXM-G65, no amount of voltage would stabilize the chip at those speeds. (The system boots and benches, but fails linpack and other stress tests) Also, the board doesn't respond well to overclocks that push CPU-NB or memory timings, requiring a manual CMOS reset instead of automatically reverting. Despite the relatively modest overclocking capabilities, however, I think the the military-class components and beefed-up cooling make this board an ideal candidate for applications where higher than normal operating temperatures are expected. (such as small form-factor low-profile home theater systems)

I currently use my system for work and light gaming, and after begrudgingly settling on a modest overclock, I'm satisfied with the overall performance. I'm using the IGP and Windows 7 64-bit and everything has worked as expected. (I downloaded graphics and system drivers directly from AMD and MSI) I think the MSI 890GXM-G65 does a lot of things well, and it can satisfy all but the most demanding users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome board. Simple to install, and worked immediately, December 26, 2010
I bought two of these boards and swapped out my Asus motherboard for the Phenom II X6 (AM3) 2.8 Ghz processor. The Asus board costed more, but had so many issues and problems both with the Overclocking capabilities, the BIOS boot up, the Sound Card wasn't working, and etc. I had so many issues with the Asus board that I bought these to try, and within an hour, I had the system up and running, overclocked, and the system is still running for a month now without reboot or shutdown, and every driver works including the sound card.

I strongly recommend this board for AMD Phenom II X6 (AM3) processors.

Thamks.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Build Ever, January 2, 2011
Did alot of reading before I went ahead and made my purchase. I used my old case which was a HP Media Center (m7250n), used this motherboard with kingston value ram and AMD x4 965 processor. Couldnt be happier! I was nervous at first since it was my first build but everything went great. only problem i ran into was i had to change the boot order in the bios to boot from my disk drive in order to install windows 7(it was set to boot from USB only, weird...), no biggie. Great board! used the Overclock switch on the the motherboard and Im overclocked to 4ghz! Awesome! Recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars not so happy, February 20, 2011
I ordered this board in July 2010 and it has been locking up once or twice a week ever since. I use the onboard DVI graphics and I just don't know why it freezes up. I can't trust it, yet I can use it for days with no problem and when it works, it is fast and fun to use. I keep upgrading the bios and drivers from MSI, but still having the lock ups. Had 2 yesterday. After a lock up, which is a freeze- not a blue screen, with a reset button, it immediately boots up with a normal boot and works fine for an hour or a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of features for the price, November 17, 2012
I used this motherboard with my water cooled AMD Phenom ii X4 965 processor, 2 gtx 550ti graphics cards, and 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws ram (4x4GB) and it works amazingly. I got my processor to 4.5 ghz fairly easily and everything held up, honestly there's really no need to buy anything more expensive unless you need a PCI Express 3.0 port, which this lacks. I believe that you can use up to an fx-8150 in this motherboard so you should see no need to upgrade to a more recent motherboard. The onboard graphics aren't terrible either, I was able to run Call of Duty: World at war pretty decently so this should be fantastic for those who aren't willing to spend money on dedicated graphics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin Board..., July 2, 2012
I just swapped out my Acer Aspire am2 duo 4400+ board with this one I didn't want to replace the case irreplaceable there's none like it of course still got all the old stickers on it going to leave them people going to want to steal it coding the inside..lol... Running an AM3 phenom 3.3ghz x2 unlocked 3.3 deneb b60x4 along with the 6mb L3 cache and OC'd get this "3.850ghz" runs 4.2 stable and can be overclocked 4.5 seriously... of course it has the board boost switch below got it at 10%.. I'm runnin 8gb Komputerbay 1600 ram oc'd about 1743... This boards well worth it.. there are extra options in bio for overclocking your pci-e bridge.. I've got a cheap Zotac 240gt zone.. talking hyperboost and runs like a high end card.. Course I believe this boards got that radion and geforce boost tech on the crossfire and the sli bridge.... can't emagine what it'd be like... Get it you'll get it...

5.0 out of 5 stars good graphics at a reasonable price for FX8120 processor, June 29, 2012
Cruz Carpenter "Technoid" (Sierra Madre, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an 890G chipset with built in graphics to use with AMD's 8 Core FX8120 CPU. I had purchased another brand first only to find the onboard graphics not working out of the box. I plugged in this motherboard and it worked great out of the box. The only thing lacking was this motherboard only came with one SATA cable and an IDE cable. 2 SATA cables would have been nice. I did not buy this for gaming or overclocking. The FX8120 runs hot and I had to buy a better cooler for the processor. AMD does make a 95 Watt version of the FX8120 for an extra $50 that would be the only version I would consider overclocking. I ripped my first video and the system was limited by SATA 3 bandwidth not processor capacity, which is awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price for the level of features, March 3, 2012
Easy install, easy adjustments, good onboard sound, good onboard graphics (for HTPC not gaming), easy overclock, sturdy construction, Sata III capable, able to handle 16 GB of RAM, for a medium price and a small frame this little board does a lot of good things, quickly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great board, senstively priced and did the job for me, April 19, 2011
ACW1120 (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I decided to upgrade my HP system to a newer faster performing system, I first started with the power supply, I bought from Amazon a Thermaltake TR2 500 W, it worked well with my old system well.

Then I choose this motherboard, it went in without a hitch, the utility came with the board (Control Center) automatically adjust my motherboard/CPU from 2.6 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz, the system is stable.

Things I like about this motherboard:

1. Easy to over-clock.
2. utility software CD came with the board works well.
3. Everything suppose to work actually works. (I am using on board Raid 0 with two 1TB SATA drives), over clock utility, auto memory settings. They all worked.

Performance of the system is good also, according to system mark,my system actually performs better than many other high priced systems.

I am happy with this board.

April 20, 2012

After a year of daily use, the board hold up well, no major problems, I particularly like the BIOS feature of overclocking and Mflash, it will allow you boot to the BIOS screen and flash your BIOS resided on a USB stick, very convenient, no bootable floppy or CD to worry about, I already flash my BIOS once, no problem at all, the only thing I forgot is when after BIOS flash all settings prior have reverted, because I have a very complex disk configuration (2 raid 0 with data and boot), for a while it gave me this boot manager not found error, really put some fears in me that I might lost my data. the motherboard is great for overclocking, I overclock a 2.6 Ghz CPU to 3.2Ghz and it is stable. The motherboard claims it can support up to 145W CPU, I do not doubt this based on my experience with the board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Motherboard for AMD Athlon X6 1090T Hex-Core, February 21, 2011
I went through two of the entry level MSI 880 boards. My PSU burnt them out. So I bought this one with a OCZ 600watt and no troubles. Automatically overclocks all 6 processors to 3.552 Ghz and stable. I have 1 640gb SATA III HD and 3 1TB SATA II HD (storage), SATA Bluray Recorder, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB GeForce Fermi 465GTX, and Zalman CNPS 9700NT CPU cooler in Gloss Black Rosewill case.
Runs sweet and quiet.