|Screen Size||15.6 inches|
|Screen Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Processor||2 GHz Core i7-2630QM|
|RAM||12 GB DDR3|
|Hard Drive||1 TB|
|Graphics Coprocessor||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M|
|Number of USB 2.0 Ports||2|
|Number of USB 3.0 Ports||2|
MSI GT683R-242US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black )
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Intel Core i7 2630QM Processor 2GHz
- 12GB DDR3 RAM
- 1TB Hard Drive
- 15.6-Inch Screen
- Windows 7 Home Premium
Top Customer Reviews
The audio on this laptop is probably the best sound from a laptop I've ever heard. I was very unimpressed at first, after reading reviews on how good it was supposed to be.....then I turned it up. Unlike a normal laptop where sound starts sounding worse as you turn it up, this laptop it just gets better. You never get distortion, and you can certainly tell there is a subwoofer. You don't hear bass like you would a real sound system, but you have solid mids in all of your music so everything sounds complete.Read more ›
- Amazing speakers for a notebook
- Dual Hard Drive Bays
- Only $1499 when purchased
- Up to 3hrs battery life (with screen dimmed)
- No overheating
- Relatively light considering the internals
- Easy to access hard drive bays and ram
- Stock hard drives are a pair of 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Black
-Motherboard supports SATA III 6GB/s interface
-Built in ESATA and dual USB 3.0 ports
-Video out and charging ports are located in the rear of the notebook
Other great features
- Quad Core i7 Sandy Bridge
- Complete overkill with 12GB of RAM
- Nvidia GTX 560M is currently unmatched in mobile graphic in price and performance, and battery consumption (also blows away the GTX 555m)
- FULL HD 1080p LED Backlit 15.6" screen, which is gorgeous
Unfortunately no backlit keyboard
- Mouse touchpad is not multi-touch and scrolling takes some getting used to
- Mouse left and right click is a single bar, although not that bad
- No express slot
- No s-video
- DVD drive is not slot loading
Other Thoughts: I replaced the dual 500GB hard drives with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD and a Seagate 750GB 7200rpm hard drive. I reinstalled Windows 7 to the SSD and then modified the registry to have all my Documents, Music, Videos, and Photos on the HDD.
Let me tell you, having Windows 7 boot from and SSD makes a world of difference. It took this laptop from exception to absolutely phenomenal. Nothing compares to this laptops boot speeds and speed of daily functions. Even my desktop which has a superior CPU and GPU (Core i7 930, GTX 470, 6GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm WD Scorpio Black) cannot keep up with the performance of this laptop with the SSD.
The hard drive truely is the slowest component of modern computers and spending $100 to $200 on a new SSD truly is a worthwhile upgrade for any computer
As usual with those gaming-laptops it's packed with a few (demo-)games and some manuals. First thing I noticed was that the charger is huge! It's about 1,5 times the size of a regular laptop-charger, so make sure you buy a big laptop-case to fit both the laptop and charger + some additional equipment like a mouse.
I play World of Tanks quite often and get on Full HD settings with all graphics settings on max. an average of 48 fps!
- Fast laptop; both CPU + GPU are working like a dream. With active cooling on, the CPU temp will be around 94 F / 34 C idle and about 115 F / 46 C stressed.
- Large, fast HD (RAID 0)
- Superb sound! I've never heard a laptop that produces better sounds than this one. You can play music at high volume and you still barely hear any distortions.
- Great laptop-battery life. While using it in the office you can last up to about 4 hours on 1 battery charge!
- If you are like me and take your laptop often with you to LAN-parties, this laptop is easy to take with you due to its screensize of 15,6"
- Great design with nice looking LED-strips that you can turn on or off whenever you want.
- Well, it's obvious that a gaming-laptop consumes more power than a regular laptop, but the charger is quite big which means that it's not easy to store in a regular laptop-case.
- The screen is very shiny and reflective.
- Why is it that gaming-laptops always come with a bunch of games, but there's never one that I actually like...! Come on guys; I want some WW2 FPS or flight simulation games with my brandnew laptop!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love this laptop, powerful, and I play BF3 on 1080p. However, there're heat when I play High graphics gamesPublished on April 8, 2012 by Abdullah Alhoushani
I am very happy with this piece of plastic and shiny LEDs :)
It is one of most powerful laptop machines I saw in my professional life. Read more
Had to return it immediately. I wanted this to work so badly, looks like such a good deal, but alas you get what you pay for.Published on January 11, 2012 by Charles Sanders
Have had this computer for a couple of weeks now, and no major complaints so far. Its pretty fast, and has responded well to the use of programs, games, movies, etc. Read morePublished on January 9, 2012 by Daniel
This laptop from MSI is a real power house. I have checked out a lot of reviews before making this purchase. Read morePublished on December 16, 2011 by Can
Letter I wrote to MSI:
I am writing to share my experience of owning your MSI laptop. Read more
crysis2 dx11 1080p veryhigh at40fps! dynaudio is the best! i love this laptop! it's better than asus! raid 0 it's so much faster!Published on October 30, 2011 by weili cat
this thing rocks, I am very happy with it, and it is a very very solid laptop. got all the features you need, I play BF3 at 1080 on it on high settings when in turbo mode! Read morePublished on October 7, 2011 by GotBeerz
Great for gaming. Crappy audio if your a musician...
I might be one of the greatest musicians that ever lived and I bought this laptop when the Asus laptop I bought was... Read more
See the Top Rated Laptops in our Laptop Reviews.