MSI GT70 Dominator-895 9S7-1763A2-895 17.3-Inch Laptop with nvidia 870m
Price:$1,199.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
This laptop has really good specs and good reviews

The problems I faced

1. I'm currently overseas and staying at the Navy Gateway in San Diego. This device is unable to connect to the room's public WIFI! Its crazy. My 5 year old macbook and my android galaxy note3 can connect with no issues at all. But when I go to a place with really strong WIFI, there is no issue at all. So maybe I should just blame the accommodation hah.

2. Watching youtube videos of GT70 dominator and dominator pro - they all showed that the laptop has 3 PCI-e (mSATA) slots. I bought Samsung Electronics 840 EVO mSATA 0.85-Inch Solid State Drive MZ-MTE250BW and ZTC Sky Board mSATA to USB3.0 SSD Enclosure Adapter Case - Model ZTC-EN002, did a cloning of the windows and opened up the back of the laptop...
Kaboomz - no PCIe slots. Just 2 2.5 inch SATA bays. Back to square one... bought this Syba 2.5-Inch SATA to mSATA SSD External USB Storage Device (SD-ADA40077) - hopefully by tomorrow it will be all good.

3. Price is good - My total cost for everything was 1399 (laptop) + 220 (above mentioned peripherals). Definitely the cheapest and best performing laptop in its class for USD 1620.

4. Update: I installed the mSATA SSD into the Syba adaptor. Removed the 1 GB HDD and installed the SSD. Booted it up. Perfect. Shutdown, reinstalled the HDD into the other SATA slot. Went into bios to disable the 2nd MBR boot. Went into windows, used Samsung Magician software to enable RAPID and best performance on the SSD. Boot up time is like 7-8 secs now. Unbelievably fast.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I looked at a lot of gaming laptops trying to get the best bang for my buck since I didn't want to spend more than fifteen-hundred on one. I finally boiled it down to between this, the ASUS ROG G750, and the MSI GE60 laptops. In the end the tipping point was the video card as the 870m is the highest end mobile card unless you want to pay about five-hundred more for the current flagship the GTX 880m. Apparently the 870 is noticeably better performing than the 860 (according to notebook check) which all the other gaming laptops have at this price point. The processor is roughly equivalent to competing models, and while this model has less RAM it still has plenty and can more can be added later relatively inexpensively.

Unfortunatelyl the first one I got was faulty and had to be returned as it randomly locked up whenever the video card was ran even moderately hard no matter the game or drivers used. Luckily Amazon shipped a replacement immediately and this one has been a beast. So far I have thrown Age of Wonders 3, Company of Heroes 2, Planetside 2, and Dawn of War 2 (a lot of sequels!) with max settings and still get above 50fps. While none of these are bleeding edge games designed to push your card to the limits I am very satisfied with the performance on a mobile platform with modern games especially Planetside where things get hectic in large firefights.

The sound is pretty great (I have never had a sub-woofer inside a laptop before), the keyboard is nice on the hands while being responsive and I especially like the amount of control you have over the back lit keyboard colors even if it is minor in the grand scheme of things. The touchpad kind of sucks but that's because they blow in general and there isn't much help for that. It does however automatically disable whenever it detects another pointing device which can be overridden by a handy physical key near the pad. The screen is high-resolution and looks great out of the box and I haven't had to adjust anything yet. I find the casing aesthetically pleasing, solid, and a bit flashy which a gaming rig aught to be. The only 'downside' I have found so far is as a 17.3" gaming laptop this thing is not light or small, and the power brick is the size of my foot. If you find those characteristics unacceptable then you're shopping for the wrong laptop.

Given the performance you get for the price I find the MSI GT70 to be an outstanding bargain.
on April 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
well so far it has been a very amazing experience this laptop is blazing fast, and i still have yet to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a ssd for my os and a few games. On the downside though the keyboard is not supported to the fullest extent, around the d key it goes in a little bit if you type harder than the normal person. On the good side though there are many things to note as well, even with he keyboard not being supported, the keys are very nice to type on and the lighting system is wonderful, bravo to steel series. Another thing the switching of the windows key, now i dont personally like it, but its a good thing to notice before spending 1400 on a laptop, if it would bug you alot dont get it, but i can deal. The trackpad is surprisingly very nice to touch and to use in general, i usually hate trackpads but i love this one. The touch buttons on the top are a nice feature and they look great too. The build quality is rather amazing, the laptop as a whole feels extremely sturdy and overall very nice. The light up logo on the lid is nice too. Now i do have to say the speakers they produce high quality audio and it gets fairly loud for a laptop all while staying crisp in the highs and the small woofer is a nice touch. It does come slightly bloated with software, but i must say i find myself using many of the programs. And you can always delete them as well. Under the hood you have 4 ram slots and 2 HDD bays(that i could see) to work with. That gives you so much room to run i just love it. There are no mSATA bays but why use an mSATA when you can just put in 2 normal size drives? The charger and computer are very heavy, like 14 pounds together or so. To me that's nothing, but to some it may mean not getting the computer. On some reviews i seen they said the screen was grainy, and to me the screen looks very nice on games tv shows movies etc. I know its not a perfect screen but honestly it looks good and gets very bright. If you have any other questions i would love to answer them :) Oh and i asked support about the Ram they had pre installed and they were very helpful, its nice to have good customer service(as far as i can tell)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2015
Verified Purchase
TWO WEEK UPDATE: I've owned this laptop for about two weeks now, so I'm coming back here to give my longer term analysis of the laptop. I've edited a few of the portions below.

Well, I'm going to get down to the nitty gritty. It's going to be a very indepth review, so if you're not for that, skip to the bottom for my verdict.

Having previously owned high end gaming laptops (ASUS G75VX), I'm happy to say that this one makes the cut.

Processor: i7-4180MQ Quad core with a base clock @ 2.8GHz and a boost clock @ 3.6GHz makes short work of everything you can toss at it. Worrying about the processor being a bottleneck to the laptop is like crying about spilled milk.

RAM: 8GB, nothing special to note here.

Hard Drive: The 7200RPM 1TB drive is, again, nothing special. I must note that I'm sad that such a high end computer doesn't sport a stock SSD or hybrid drive. There is, however, an empty SATA (NOTE: Not mSATA!) bay for the installation of a second hard drive.

GPU: Ah, what everyone here is wondering the most about. The 870m, compared to other graphics cards, is a shot above the rest. 35FPS BF4 maxed out is an incredible feat for a laptop graphics card, not to mention a few single desktop GPUs. This card will have little difficulty playing anything pre 2014 at a fluid framerates. (refer to http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-870M.107792.0.html for a full benchmarking of the 870m).

Mousepad: It's a mousepad and it does mousepad things. It's on par with the mousepads I've used on various other laptops. Nothing special to note.

Keyboard: This laptop boasts one of the only laptop keyboards made by Steelseries, and it's a shame because this keyboard is absolutely lovely. Having access to the full hexadecimal color spectrum, you can pick and choose what color you what your keyboard to be, if not make it three colors all at once. The keys are very responsive. For those of you who own mechanical keyboards, they're just like those keyboards, but with less resistance and not a lot of click. It's a very good middle ground between normal keyboard and mechanical keyboard. After owning this laptop for two weeks, the keyboard has grown on me even more. It's INCREDIBLY nice to type on.

Sound: The laptop, sadly, only has two speakers and no subwoofer, which is a disappointment to me at such a high price point with many other great features. The laptop, however, does make great use of these two speakers, blasting clear sound high enough to barely fill a room. The sound it blasts is well above your normal laptop speakers, however falls short of what can be done with a two speaker and subwoofer combo. It is, however, a... strange setup. For example, it felt like I had a 5.1 surround sound array with only these two speakers.

Screen: I actually have to make a note in this section because I have owned other laptops with non-glossy, matte screens before, and I must say that I am impressed. The screen is incredibly vibrant, making it very easy to watch movies, play games, even photoshop with little to no difficulty discerning colors. No washed out colors so far, very impressed.

Heat: The laptop, unfortunately, only boasts one fan, which I'm incredibly disappointed with, considering quite a few laptop manufacturers have swapped in favor of a dual fan system to keep their systems cooler and quieter. While I can say the fan does its job effectively, I can also say that it does it loudly, as well as blow out the heat at alarming temperatures. The laptop itself, however, does stay cool to the touch, making it comfortable to game with on your lap for long periods of time.

Weight: Shocking to me, the laptop is incredibly light. I had no issue with just letting it rest on my lap for several hours. Paying no attention to it, I forgot I even had it on my lap. It can easily be picked up with one hand.

Misc. Features: This laptop supports a one touch button array towards the power button, which is more useful than I thought it would be. It allows me to switch power modes, turn off the backlight keys, go into airplane mode, turn off the screen, launch certain programs, and even flip the fans into overdrive. Turning the fans to overdrive, however, does make the laptop sounds like it's taking off. It's incredibly loud. The power button changes colors according to whether or not you're using the dedicated or integrated GPU; a feature I like. The logo on the lid of the laptop lights up, a nice touch.

Misc. Continuted: This laptop is a fingerprint magnet, however easy to clean with a damp cloth. The MSI reinstallation disc that was included with the laptop was disappointing, as it only served me well to be able to reinstall the drivers for the WLAN to be able to download all the missing drivers. The Double Shot E2200 is all talk and no game; it performs like any other wireless A card will.

Verdict: While the laptop has a few drawbacks, such as the harddrive, ram, and sound, it makes up for in the areas that count most; being able to run games like no tomorrow. I would purchase this laptop again, and I recommend those of you who are looking for a gaming laptop look no further.
on August 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
So I've been toying around with this since I got it today. I've been running benchmarks, playing a few games, and I can't express how impressed I was.

I wasn't expecting too much to be honest. I just wanted a nice little laptop that could run games at medium or high settings at 30fps. What I got was a laptop that could run games at high and even MAX settings varying anywhere between 35-60FPS depending on the game.

The first game I tried was Tomb Raider (2013)
Running the benchmark with 100% maxed out graphic settings (minus the hair effects), at 1080p, the laptop managed 30-50 FPS in the benchmarks most "stressful" areas. It didn't drop below 30FPS the whole time, in fact, 30 was the recorded minimum.

Next was Far Cry 3. A gorgeous game, with a lot going on. Starting in Amanaki Village, I noticed it was slightly above 40FPS, at 1080p, with max graphic settings, in DX11 mode. Outside the village, it maintained 50-70FPS easily.

I tried a couple other games as well, all maintaining fully playable framerates at max graphical settings. Needless to say, this laptop packs some serious power.

As for its other features, it all performs above expectations. The fully lit keyboard looks beautiful in the dark, with many different colors and different settings to mess around with, giving some great spectacle.

The sound also blew me away. It didn't sound like it was coming from a laptop. Not nearly high quality, desktop speakers, but with the built in subwoofer, the MSI GT70 Dominator certainly can get loud and produce some great quality sound on it's own.

Build quality feels alright. It's not going to withstand a lot of abuse, but a bit of slight carelessness doesn't feel like it would really cause any damage or issues. The nice looking brushed aluminum on the top looks sharp, and the rubber feet both give some clearance and grip to the underside of the laptop for cooling and stability.

It's a bit heavy, but for a 17 inch laptop with the power it packs, it's a fair compromise.

I'm not keen on flashy company logos on the outside of my laptop, but the MSI logo, even though it lights up a little, really isn't too showy, and doesn't seem to distract from the overall design too much.

The matte screen, while it does a decent job at resisting glare, isn't the best. There's a bit of noticeable texturing on the screen itself because of it's matte nature, which can distract slightly from what's on screen. Other than that however, games do look very clear, but not nearly as vibrant as some people would like. Some toying around with the settings should clear it up.

Overall, this is what I would consider a desktop replacement. It has above average graphic capabilities, great design, and just amazing in general. I'll be very happy and satisfied occasionally gaming on this while on a trip or just at a friends house. It's a nice alternative than lugging around my massive desktop case, even if it means I won't have the power of a GTX 780ti.
on June 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
Hardware and performance is great. Plays and performs like a mid range gaming desktop. Where I had problem is with how MSI make it difficult to upgrade or get in the BIOS. I simply wanted to install a ssd in this bad boy. I fnoticed it had a warranty sticker on on of the skrews. That's right if you simply open the back panel of thelaptop, you void your warrenty. Even tho they have to HDD slots and room for more ram. Also their is no way to get in the bios when you start it up. You have to go in the is and go through the annoying windows 8.1 interface to get the option to go to the bios. Also no windows install disc. Really MSI?! I had to use a OEM windows 8.1 disc from my cyberpowerpc llaptop. At least they try.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2015
Verified Purchase
I had a top of the line Toshiba Qosmio laptop that was bought 4 years ago but the screen started to give me problems in that I couldn't get the screen to come up. After struggling with this problem which gradually got worse I decided to look out a new laptop. I wasn't really looking for a laptop for games, I was more interested in getting a laptop that would hopefully last me a while.

I must admit that when i was looking at laptops I did see a picture of an MSI and I never knew that the keys would light up, I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't want to spend as much as I had done with the Toshiba, don't get me wrong the Toshiba was very nice but I couldn't justify the cost of replacing it with another Qosmio,

Getting back to the MSI, I read all the reviews at Amazon as well as Best Buy before deciding to buy the computer. I looked at videos online as well to try and get as much information as I could. I was a little concerned that the computer was being sold by Mobile Advance as I read a coupe of reviews saying that there was problems. However, I needn't have worried, the computer arrived in fantastic condition.

When I opened up the box the computer was well packaged and when I saw the black cloth bag that the computer was covered I thought that this was an excellent touch. I did see on the side of the box that the computer was listed as a 2PC. I did notice this on youtube but as I didn't think this was going to be the computer I would get I didn't look at these videos.

The processor in my computer is it-4810MQ 2.8 GHZ and compared to my Toshiba it's much faster. I haven't really timed the boot time of my computer but I would estimate that the boot time is at most 10 seconds and I think I can be on the internet in 20 seconds. There wasn't too much bloatware installed compared to the Toshiba and even the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 hasn't trouble me too much.

So far I'm delighted with this computer even though I haven't explored many of the features just yet. It is taking me a little time to get used to the keyboard as the numeric keypad is laid out a little differently that what I'm used to as in the beginning I was hitting some wrong keys as my fingers are used to a slightly different layout.

I should add that I was a little concerned about the cooling so I did a little research again and I ended up buying the Cooler Master Notepal U3 Plus. I thought it would be a good idea to get more cooling as the Toshiba did get really warm when i was playing Rocksmith. The cooling fan on the MSI is a little on the noisy side but frankly I don't care, this is an excellent computer!
on October 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
This laptop is insane. I have tested it with many games, and I can say with utmost certainty that it runs about 90% of them at the highest settings. Playing older games on it, for some reason, presents problems, but it will play them.
It does get hot, but the CoolerBooster function allows you to turn up the internal fan to a very high speed, which virtually eliminates the problem.
The backlit keyboard is fantastic, and comes with software to customize the colors that display on it. The touch pad is also wonderfully responsive. There is a neat feature that automatically shuts off the touch pad when you plug in a USB mouse.

However, there is a warranty sticker over one of the screws, so you cannot disassemble the laptop without voiding the warranty. This is my only major complaint, as I would like to crack it open and put in a secondary hard drive. (They even include mounting screws and bracket to do so. Come on!) However, this is no major problem if you know how to disassemble laptops as I do, and the inside of the laptop, as I can see it from the outside, does not look particularly complicated to operate on. It also runs Windows 8.1, where it would probably be more suited to Windows 7. I haven't needed Windows 7 for anything in particular, so I just stuck with 8.1.

The pros of this laptop outweigh the cons by far. It isn't even worth taking off a star. If you are looking into it for its low price point, get it. It's worth every penny.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
I needed a laptop to replace my Desktop due to space and travel issues,and the need to run games without huge problems. And I can say this has been perfect for my needs. So far its been great if not better than expected with every game I have played so far. Only real downside for me would be the heat that this Laptop creates while gaming and the fans cooling boost sounds like a small airplane while running. I wear a headset so for me its not a problem but for anyone else around you it could be an issue.
on June 26, 2014
Verified Purchase
I had my reservations about getting a laptop that could play games considering past experiences. MSI has put my mind at ease. The 870m takes everything I throw at it almost as good as my desktop. The build quality is excellent, though I hate glossy material and there is a fair amount of it. The brushed aluminum is nice, easy to keep clean and stays cool.

One of the best things about this laptop is the keyboard, the button presses feel amazing, and have a satisfying click. The backlights are excellent and have good software for easy customization, with a fair color palette to customize with. I especially like the wave setting.

The CPU has done aswell as I expected, I haven't tried any video processing but it handles several taxing apps well. Having the ports in the back is a huge plus and helps to keep the side USB ports less cluttered, speaking of that, the laptop has a plastic lip that goes over the usb ports which helps to shield them, excellent choice on MSI's part. Battery life is mediocre unfortunately, but considering its a gaming laptop that is no surprise. The power brick is huge, but that also comes with the territory. My only true gripes are the crappy bloatware that comes with MSI computers, they are pointless and add an extra hour of setup time finding them all for uninstall, im pretty sure I still haven't gotten all of them. Also the lack of blu ray on a $1400+ laptop is ridiculous, something I plan to upgrade soon. And finally a lack of SSD seems to be an oversight for such a high dollar laptop, but the bays are easily accessible so that should be an easy upgrade.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations