on July 2, 2013
The MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 MicroATX board is a great choice for most users. Here's a detailed analysis of the board:
THE GOOD:
+ Has onboard buzzer so no need to connect external speaker.
+ Has VGA, DVI & HDMI ports, with any 2 or 3 being able to be used simultaneously (according to the manual, not tested by me).
+ The A75 chipset has the following advantages over the A55:
* SATA ports (6 total) are 6Gb/S instead of 3Gb/S.
* 2 of the 8 USB ports on the rear panel are USB3. Also there are headers for connecting 2 additional USB3 ports and 2 more USB2 ports. (The A55 chipset does not support any USB3 ports).
+ Has 1 PCIe x16 slot, two PCIe x1 slots, and a single PCI slot.
+ Rear panel has a single PS/2 keyboard/mouse port for reusing older input devices. Since this is a single port you can can connect either a PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 mouse but not both.
+ Rear panel has 6 audio jacks (7.1 channel audio). Audio codec is Realtek ALC887
+ LAN is Gigabit, provided by Realtek 8111
+ Has legacy Parallel/Serial port headers so you could connect devices that need these ports.
+ There are 2 DDR3 DIMM sockets on the board, supporting up to to 16GB.

THE BAD:
- The Parallel & Serial port headers are strangely placed at the FRONT side of the motherboard rather than near the rear panel or expansion slots. Most users wouldn't care about these but if you need to use them you would prefer than they had been located differently on the board.
- Note that there are no IDE (PATA) connectors so you will either have to upgrade other IDE devices or use an IDE<>SATA adapter.
- Printed manual does not have a list of BIOS beep codes (in case your system fails to boot normally).

OVERALL this motherboard is a good choice for most general use. It supports a nice mix of new/old devices. Remember though that this board uses the FM2 socket (APU processors) and older CPUs like AM3, FM1 are not usable on this board.
I hope you have found this helpful!
on November 2, 2012
I recently built two gaming PCs, one Intel-based and the other AMD-based, both using motherboards from MSI. This board was used to build my son a gaming PC and was paired with an AMD A10-5800K APU and 16 GB DDR3 RAM. I experienced no hardware problems or failures, and everything worked fine and very reliably. MSI makes high-quality products and this was no exception to that rule. The form factor is small but when paired with the right components, this little board can be part of a powerful gaming rig. It exceeded my expectations and I am happy with my purchase.
on February 9, 2013
Well I installed the MCU amd RAM and connected everything up. The BIOS came up, crashed sometimes on exiting, and I couldn't get past the initial windows logo of a Windows 8 install.
I tried running diagnostics and utilities from the likes of Paragon. I could boot up a DOS recovery and I could run Paragon utilities in safe mode but always quickly crashed when trying anything else. The problem, that I wasted many emotional hours on, turned out to be VERY simple. The crashing was due to any USB device (keyboard or mouse) plugged in, such as the mouse and keyboard that were working just fine to configure the graphical bios!

So, with no mouse and just a PS/2 keyboard attached, suddenly all worked well, and I installed Windows 8 without further issue. Still crashing if a USB mouse or keyboard is attached at boot, but I could later attach the mouse. I installed the MSI drivers (watch out for the AntiVirus that you probably will regret loading if you do the full auto-install everything) and I upgraded the BIOS. That cured the mouse crash at boot issues. My HDMI attached monitor had a small picture that did not use the whole screen, that also went away after the MSI drivers were installed.

Final problem was that neither keyboard or mouse would wake the PC up from sleep. That turned out to be due to two jumpers (read the manual) that keep power applied to the PS/2 and USB connected devices during sleep. After changing away from the default no-power supplied during sleep, all was fine.

Overall this was the worst install experience I've ever had, but it was all due to simply not knowing the simple causes and fixes to the problems. Now it's all been up and running for a week I'm really happy with the system. Actually, I ended up buying a second set of the same motherboard, CPU and memory since I could return these to Fry's - and I was convinced one of the parts was bad - but it was simply the USB connected (and working) mouse that doesn't work until the bios is upgraded, and you can't upgrade the BIOS until the OS is installed! Almost catch 22, but thankfully it's easy enough to install Windows without a mouse attached. (There is only one PS/2 connection, and you'll need to find an old PS/2 keyboard or USB to PS/2 adapter to install windows if you have the same problem as me).

Once all is installed and working, the MSI utilities are very nice, you can change BIOS settings from within Windows (without rebooting). I don't especially care for the graphical BIOS interface, but it's not bad, just a couple of querks to figure out, in lists, the item selected is hard to see, especially if the monitor is attached via VGA.

I ended up not returning the second set of Motherboard / CPU and RAM, it was such a great deal and I'm really happy with the result and now have two new PC's! But lesson learned, I should have trusted my instinct to just buy a laptop instead, the time I wasted while not realizing the USB Keyboard / Mouse were causing problems was killer and had me up all night.

The only thing I missed that the motherboard doesn't have is an old PATA IDE connector - so I had to buy new DVD burners. Amazingly I picked some LG ones up for $15 each, so not a big deal. I sure hope this helps someone!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2013
Being an IT Networking specialist, and a video-gamer at heart. This motherboard is excellent for an AMD A series APU. (Especially the A10-5800K!) And the motherboard doesn't have any heating issues whatsoever. The only thing I dont really like is the A75 chipset instead of the A85X chipset (best current one as of 2013)

Excellent motherboard for everyday use or gaming. Below are my current system specs:

Motherboard: This motherboard
Memory: 16GB 1866 DDR3 SDRAM By Corsair. (Vengeance Series)
CPU: AMD A10-5800K APU "Trinity"
OS: Arch Linux
SSD: OCZ Agility Series 128GB
on June 7, 2013
MSI includes Winki with this motherboard. I was shocked at how fast this booted and how complete and windows-like the interface appears. You "could" run this motherboard without a hard drive or windows or a full blown Linux install if you liked. The following is from the MSI website.

Winki 3
Winki 3 is a free Linux-based O/S which is based on the Linux core. With an ultra-fast booting speed and a multi-language interface, the built-in Winki 3 provides an easy-to-use internet environment that includes the most popular functions such as internet surfing, web mail, instant messaging, picture browsing, and more. It's the most practical way to be online in the shortest time.

Features
- User friendly & totally free applications
- Power on to run applications in 25 seconds
- Multi-language interface support
on December 18, 2013
This looked like a great buy; the mobo was within the specs I wanted and even though I saw some poor reviews, I did my best to look past them. In all my years of purchasing online, I've never had a product be delivered DOA, twice. I've built many custom builds before, but like most of the reviewers, I am getting the dreaded no video problem. The computer powers, but no bios and no video. Yet, when I hook up a GPU that I have laying around, it works fine. I've had it. There is obviously a flaw in this product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2014
i bought two MSI motherboard from warehouse deals and sent me all Post booting issue problems. I had to call MSI Tech support to get to try to solve my Power on but hangs at POST 0x99, will not proceed further.
on December 29, 2013
This board DOES work with Richland processors. MSI started to make these boards with the updated Bios in May of 2013. As of December 2013 Amazon Stock the boards with the newest bios that work with Richland processors. This board works fine and I have had no trouble with it. I used the AMD A-8 6600k Richland APU.
on May 24, 2013
I used MSI on my first gaming build and everything went flawless. I went with another brand with my second build and had problems, so I can right back to MSI.

I'm using this board mainly for a media center build and coupled with the price, the amount of extra's you get for the form factor are hard to beat. I like the 6 SATA III ports for drives, the included video chip sets, the amount of USB ports (with USB 3) and the amount of accessory slots.

So far, my media center has been running well. The only thing I dislike about the MSI boards is flashing the BIOS. I've been having problems saving BIOS settings without the board freezing. Specifically, I was using the BIOS setting to change my boot order. It seems like this is a common issue with the board, but since mu media center build has been Linux, it's been difficult to use their LiveUpdate5 to update the board. Once I have that figured out, I might update this review.

Other than that, the board work just fine and should save you a fair amount, even for a gaming build.
on June 20, 2013
This is an excellent motherboard for the price. Comes equipped with what you need, HDMI output, adequate SATA 6/GB connections, and usb slots. I wish the fan connectors were positioned closure together, but I realize they have to be spread out depending on where you may add in additional case fans.
Great product.