Most helpful positive review
41 of 42 people found the following review helpful
Nice FM2 socket/APU processor motherboard with good mix of features
on July 2, 2013
The MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 MicroATX board is a great choice for most users. Here's a detailed analysis of the board:
+ Has onboard buzzer so no need to connect external speaker.
+ Has VGA, DVI & HDMI ports, with any 2 or 3 being able to be used simultaneously (according to the manual, not tested by me).
+ The A75 chipset has the following advantages over the A55:
* SATA ports (6 total) are 6Gb/S instead of 3Gb/S.
* 2 of the 8 USB ports on the rear panel are USB3. Also there are headers for connecting 2 additional USB3 ports and 2 more USB2 ports. (The A55 chipset does not support any USB3 ports).
+ Has 1 PCIe x16 slot, two PCIe x1 slots, and a single PCI slot.
+ Rear panel has a single PS/2 keyboard/mouse port for reusing older input devices. Since this is a single port you can can connect either a PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 mouse but not both.
+ Rear panel has 6 audio jacks (7.1 channel audio). Audio codec is Realtek ALC887
+ LAN is Gigabit, provided by Realtek 8111
+ Has legacy Parallel/Serial port headers so you could connect devices that need these ports.
+ There are 2 DDR3 DIMM sockets on the board, supporting up to to 16GB.
- The Parallel & Serial port headers are strangely placed at the FRONT side of the motherboard rather than near the rear panel or expansion slots. Most users wouldn't care about these but if you need to use them you would prefer than they had been located differently on the board.
- Note that there are no IDE (PATA) connectors so you will either have to upgrade other IDE devices or use an IDE<>SATA adapter.
- Printed manual does not have a list of BIOS beep codes (in case your system fails to boot normally).
OVERALL this motherboard is a good choice for most general use. It supports a nice mix of new/old devices. Remember though that this board uses the FM2 socket (APU processors) and older CPUs like AM3, FM1 are not usable on this board.
I hope you have found this helpful!