Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 12, 2011
Back in about 2000 I started to listen to MMW. There was something about John Medeski's organ playing that just blew my mind. After becoming hooked on MMW, I decided to try and get anything that they were involved in. This included 1998's John Scofield album "A Go Go", which then introduced me to how awesome Scofield is, but thats for another review. This represents the first CD of their collaboration. The second being "Out Louder" which was more of a joint effort than "A Go Go" was. While "Out Louder" was good, I didn't think it was as good as "A Go Go", but it was solid none the less.

As you might expect this CD contains songs from both CDs. What you get are great jams and interplay primarily between Medeski and Scofield. In the mean time, Chris Wood and Billy Martin are just tearing it up as the rock solid rhythm section, but they also get their chance to have some solos on a few songs.

While I have seen both MMW and Scofield separately, I have not seen the two of them together. That being said, here is how I would compare this CD to those that have seen MMW live and may be a bit worried. There are sometimes when MMW jam on the stage where it is almost too avant garde and can be hard to listen to. In other words, it can be like watching a live version of "The Dropper". That is not the case here. Pretty much all of the songs have a solid groove established that they don't move too far away from. This to me is a good thing. In this way, it reminds me more of a Scofield concert.

So here are some highlights for me on this CD. I think that "Little Walter Rides Again" has some great solos. This is one of the songs which Chris Wood has a solo and is just amazing. This song is followed up by Hanuman, which is another highlight to me. John Medeski is doing the same trick that he does on the CD version on his solos, where he is bending his keyboard notes during his solo to create an eerie feel to the song. John Scofield uses plenty of pitch bends to complement Medeski's solos. "Tootie Ma is a Big Fine Thing" is another playful song that is just executed well. Everyone gets a solo in this song too.

All in all, there is not a bad song here. Although, there is one thing that I am disappointed in with the liner notes. The CD is apparently a compilation of songs from different performances from the tour. I wish they would have said where the songs were performed. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice. Another thing that I have noticed is that I don't think that John touches his clavinet during the entire performance. I noted this the last time that I saw them too. John, why not show the clavinet some love? That being said, he shows plenty of B3* love here, so it's not all bad.

*technically, I think he plays the A100, but close enough
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2011
The irony is that most 'supergroups' wind up being less than the sum total of their parts. In contrast, Medeski Martin & Wood's partnership with John Scofield is the definition of a highly successful collaboration. The setlist for this live collection is a balance of material off the group's two studio albums. "A Go Go" was a tight and disciplined enterprise while "Out Louder" expanded the improvisational environment. Coming off the "Out Louder" tour, "In Case The World Changes Its Mind" pushes the jam even further. On stage, these guys were a pyroclastic powerhouse. In this respect, listeners that thought that "A Go Go" was perfect and "Out Louder" took things a bit too far may want to pass on this one. For the committed, there's much to offer. When you're dealing with material and musicians of this caliber, every song is a winner. In particular, 'Little Walter Rides Again' and 'A Go Go' are stand-outs. 'Southern Pacific' has a quirky groove that'll keep your head bobbin' for over eight minutes. The keyboard solo in 'Hunuman' sounds as if it were coming from a record being played backwards. 'What Now' rocks hard but 'Miles Behind' is a sonic blitzkrieg that'll leave you breathless. 'Hottentot' isn't just packed with mind-melting solos, it makes for an explosive closer to an electrifying experience. The two CDs contain a balance of twelve minute cookers and relaxed, reflective material. For years, I've been enthusiastically torrenting dozens of live MSMW shows. While there are some great audience recordings in circulation, there's nothing like a soundboard, official release. You've already got "A Go Go" and "Out Louder," so why not make it a trilogy? This is the next logical progression. Don't wait for the world to change its mind; make up yours and get Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood live!
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2011
I attended a show on this tour and actually remember being a bit underwhelmed. Never-the-less, I passed that off as being just a bad day for the guys and purchased this CD package. I am not sorry I did.

First off, the concert is Medeski Martin and Wood with John Scofield. They combination have put together 2 albums together in the past. There is John Scofield's A Go Go and the MSMW disc, Out Louder. I am a huge MMW fan, but always felt that A Go Go was a fantastic 5 star disc while Out Louder was more of a 3 star effort. The tour this particular live recording is from was from the tour was supporting Out Louder. The thing that makes this album good is that pieces from A Go Go show up with the energy that went with that album (as opposed to the show I attended which felt like it was only Out louder material).

The live performance here captures the energy of A Go Go, and you really see the four piece combo fly. Most pieces are extended improv and jams off of themes and songs from the previously mentioned studio performances. As much as I love MMW, it is John Scofield who shines on the recordings. His performance stands up front and he is carrying the melodies and the improv for most of the recording; you could say he is the voice. So what about MMW? Well they are there, but I can't help but say they play more of a supporting role. Even Scofield steps back, I'm left wanting more from John Medeski and crew. I've heard MMW live at shows before, and the performance here seems a bit reserved. I like the quality of MMW you hear in studio releases like the Radiolarians albums or Combustication, but that just isn't here. That being said, John Scofield steps up and steals the show. It is a solid 4 star set, and if I was a bigger Scofield fan, I'd probably rate it 5 stars. I just can't help but knock it a star for MMW taking a supporting role. Perhaps there is only so much space, but John Medeski and John Scofield are fantastic artists, and I can't help but want to hear the best of both artists.
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2013
Wow! this is some of the hottest and 'spot on' playing by any of these players. The interplay between Scofield and Medesky (on some 'out of this world' sounds from the organ!...this guy would not need anything else to really get into stratospheric, energetic and imaginative playing than his trusted organ) is specially GOOD. And Scofield displays some of his more relaxed and intimate/personal playing i have heard. His raw tone is a delight, and his idiosyncratic style shines here. Some crazy stomp box sounds too that at times make you think of psychedelic or Prog music. But at the heart of it all its all jazz, soul, rock & blues. One of the finest from all the works of all the players in the group.
on October 22, 2012
I had only occasional radio experience with both MSW and John Scofield - not prior CDs. I took a chance on buying this and am glad I did. For me it is a little stretch from what I usually listen to. I particularly like Scofield's playing and I'm not sure I'd have liked MSW that well without him. I always have to smile listening to Deadzy - is this a new Zombie Jazz? Overall I appreciate the album more with each listening, particularly their version of Amazing Grace.
on November 30, 2013
It's not like I know a lot about jazz, but I am positive this is some of the best of the current stuff.

It's not like I know a lot about jam bands, but I am positive this is some of the best of the current stuff.

It's not like I know a lot about funk, but I am positive this is some of the best of the current stuff.

It's not like I know a lot about MM&W, but I am positive this is some of the best of their current stuff.

I'm a pretty big Scofield fan, and this is even better than the quartet's 06's *Out Louder*.
on May 8, 2013
MMW and all its variants will always rule, especially this one with scofield, I saw them live at the Fillmore when this album was released and when I got home from the show this album was in my mailbox, most excellent!!!
on January 11, 2013
Yes I ranked it 4 stars because 3 is "just ok." So, 4 is "I liked it." And I DO like it. Yet I am disappointed in it. These pieces are well done and entertaining but, and this is a big but, they don't have the quirkiness that I come to expect in a MMW or MSMW albums. This album is full of very good jams and solos like a standard jazz album. The 3 studio albums i have by these guys are not standard jazz albums.
on June 14, 2015
Very good disc. Excellent musicianship.
on July 31, 2015
Great live album, I listen to it all the time.