4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect? No. But a lot better than other reviewers indicate.
Published on December 27, 2005 by Michael A. Shoemaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Unit does some things well, but too many problems and bugs.
The keyboard interface does not function well. As most of the buyers have reported here, it skips letters, and is impossible to use for writing emails or other text (like this) without constant fixing.

As a multimedia unit it has severe limitations as well, not being able to access many popular video and audio files if they are not Microsoft.

Published on November 25, 2004 by L. MURRAY

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect? No. But a lot better than other reviewers indicate., December 27, 2005
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I am a computer person, but with some trepidation after reading some of the negative reviews on Amazon, I installed two of the MSNTV2 units over the holidays - one to upgrade my parent's original WebTV and the second for my Mother-in-Law whose visoin is poor. The former is using dial up while the latter is hooked to a cable broadband system. It is important to note that my parents did not use some of the features other reviewers miss from the earlier WebTV products, so for them all their needs are covered. Both `parents' primarily use these systems for email and basic web use, including shopping, music channels and photos. With that background, here are my notes about the units:

Pros:

1. Easy to hook up and easy to use. Nothing fancy or difficult whether upgrading an existing account or establishing a new one. Both units were quickly operational without any glitches (well, see one con below regarding USB).

2. Resolution is far better vs. my parents original WebTV unit, where blue type on a dark blue background on the email screens made reading very difficult. The new higher contrast `dark letters on white background' are much better and the pixel definition is also improved. The resolution improvement is easy to see on some web sites where my parents couldn't read anything before but now the text is legible. Again, this is no match for my laptop, but it is good enough for general use.

3. Related to the above, the new text size +/- buttons make it easy to change the text size on a web page for improved readability. Also, the `resize' button can help with those pages with cramped type. Great features for those with vision problems and they work easily.

4. While the keyboard lacks any TV controls for volume, etc. the keyboard does include ample `one-touch' keys for all the basic email, web and media needs. And neither of the two units had any glitches with the keyboard communications causing dropped letters, etc. that others have cited. One of the units has the keyboard within a foot of the main box, but the other is separated by about 12 feet and worked perfectly unless the signal was blocked by an object.

5. The greater range of file formats that can be viewed is a significant improvement vs. the prior WebTV (not Plus). Electronic greeting cards that were previously unreadable worked perfectly and the ubiquitous pdf files on the web are a great addition. (Almost humorous is the fact that Microsoft's MSNTV2 cannot read Microsoft's .ppt or .pps PowerPoint files! Hmmm . . . I would have really thought a simple PowerPoint reader like those you can download for PCs would have been built in. After all, it would seem in Mr. Softy's best interest to insure that all of their core software could at least be viewed on their own WebTV product, right?)

6. On dial-up the speed is perhaps slightly quicker, but only marginally. In fact, at times it seems to be slower, but that is usually when viewing pages or files that were previously not viewable on the original WebTV. These files, like animated cards and pdf files are often significantly larger than others so they seem slow. On broadband things pop up quite quickly in general, with occasional times when MSN seems to be thinking about it before it sends the page. But once it does, the page pops up quickly. This really shows up when displaying a large .pdf file vs. the dial-up installation.

7. While not perfect, Microsoft's media player does a good job of displaying most videos and playing many, but not all, radio / music stations. Having the media player as a `separate' application is nice since a music station can be playing in the background while surfing the web or reading emails.

Cons:

1. There are still limitations on file sizes and file types (like the PowerPoint noted above) so this is not a solution for someone who wants a `simple computer'. This is a web reader, email client and limited media player that is far easier for non-computer people to use. Not for me personally, but a perfect fit for my parents and mother-in-law.

2. Nice of Microsoft to take the meaning of `Universal' out of their implementation of Universal Serial Bus (USB)!! Okay, so this is not a PC so maybe it is too much to expect it to handle all USB devices, but when I bought a recommended model of USB 802.11 b/g adapter the MSN's site specifically states as being compatible, I would have thought it was! I intentionally avoided any of their recommendations that stated `only version x.x' or some other disclaimer, buying a quality DLink G122 adapter. Plugged it into the MSNTV2 and, voila - a big box stating that the device was not compatible with MSNTV2. I checked it in my laptop just to be sure it was working and, of course, it was. But back into the MSNTV2 and the same `incompatible' box popped up. Fortunately, I could move the cable modem and wireless router to where the MSNTV2 box was so I hardwired it via Ethernet and that worked as it should have. So even if you follow MSN's recommendations on USB adapters or printers, you have the potential that it will not work due to some change in software made by the adapter manufacturer. Be sure you have return privileges on your USB purchases! (FYI, I did try my wireless travel mouse and that worked nicely, including the scroll function that another reviewer said didn't work. Perhaps because mine is a Microsoft mouse?a)

3. No memory expansion? It seems that it would have been relatively easy to allow a plug in of extra memory to allow larger pages to load. I had only one site, featuring lots of photos, not load, but it caused the unit to freeze and a box come up saying to power the unit off and then on to free up the memory. Minor glitch, but plug in memory is relatively cheap - why not allow it.

4. While USB card readers will (theoretically!) work so you can transfer photos, etc. it would have been a lot nicer if Microsoft had built in front loading slots for a few basic memory types like CF and SD.

5. Not sure why Microsoft included the separate remote control. Yes, it works some basic web functions, but it is not a real universal remote (didn't work with my mother-in-law's Panasonic TV and has no VCR or DVD functionality) and the web functions that it has are all easily found on the keyboard. I would gladly give up this remote for memory expansion or a built in card reader.

In summary, after reading some of the `horror' stories that other reviewers have posted I feared that indeed the product was poorly built and worse than prior generations. Maybe the bugs are worked out and the quality of manufacture improved, but having bought and installed two units I have to say that, in general, they work as advertised. Yes, the N-USB (Non-Universal Serial Bus) is a potential headache and the occasional file type or page size problem will crop up, but for their intended uses, both units worked quite well right out of the box. Heck, I have had more problems getting a PC to do what I want at times, so the minor glitches here seem minor in comparison, especially for the targeted user group.

So if you do not need a full PC, only want basic email, internet and media playback, and you understand / accept the limitations of the MSNTV2, this could very well be an excellent solution for you. However, if you need much more functionality, and you are willing to put up with the more complex demands of a PC (software upgrades, security and virus issues, etc.) then a PC of some type is your only solution. (Having spent a couple of very intense days helping a friend clean up mass quantities of viruses and spyware from two of their PCs, I now realize that some PC users probably shouldn't be PC users! Or at least they must have some basic understanding about keeping virus and spyware software updated and active!) I can tell you that both my parents and mother-in-law think this generation of MSNTV2 is perfect for them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unit does some things well, but too many problems and bugs., November 25, 2004
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)

No ability to do CCP from web pages, though if you buy a mouse you can do it...sometimes. Scroll feature on mouse not enabled.

The MSN TV 2 does surf faster than the old Web TV did, even on dial up, though display of some webpages is eccentric.

Photo features a scrapbook which is limited to 100 low resolution pictures. With the addition of a card reader, digital memory cards can be read and images printed.

BTW, I am on my second unit, the first one was so faulty I couldn't even register it.

In summary, this unit is not at all ready for market. Caveat emptor.

4.0 out of 5 stars msn tv2, May 15, 2006
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I have had the msn tv2 for a week now and I am very happy with it. You defnitely must use high speed internet with it. I love it!! I primarily do emails, surfing the web and on line shopping. It meets my needs. i have a digital camera so I am excited about uploading my pictures and I enjoy listening to music while being on the internet.

Its great not having to worry about viruses!! After watching my son and a friend have trouble with viruses attacking their computer systems, I am glad I don't have that to worry about that.

I currently have it hooked up to its own 27 inch screen tv. I love sitting in my easy chair and being able to relax while reading my email!

For the cost, it is a good investment for me and saved me quite a bit of money right now.

caren

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you will like it!!!, March 24, 2006
Lyndall F. Beaver "cat lover" (Corpus Christi, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I bought this system after my high dollar multi-media computer broke down for the 4th and last time.

If you enjoy surfing the web,email, shopping on line, "chatting" on line but don't want to spend a fortune.....this is your baby.

I recently added an Epson C66 printer for receits or articles. Easy to do and again not expensive. Works like a charm.

I use playstation 2 now for games. I expect zillions of game bites is what sizzled my computer in the first place.

MSN updates the product for you through the telephone line every 2 or 3 months.

It is a bit slow downloading with dial up service. But not terribly slow. And you do have to use MSNTV 2 (web tv service) but they are a good service!

I recently had a chance to get a computer again with tax refund money. I decided my MSNTV 2 would suffice. Now I am typing this feedback on a 42" screen tv instead....LOL

Go for it! Buy it, you will like it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vast Improvement Over WEBTV and the 1st MSNTV, December 17, 2006
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I was online, with both WEBTV and the 1st MSNTV. Though, when they came out, with the 1st MSNTV, broadband, had came on the scene, and I was hoping, that they'd give us a broadband connection capabilities, with the 1st MSNTV, but they didn't. So, within a year, after the 1st MSNTV, came out, I cancelled my subscription, with MSNTV Service, and I was not online, at home. I decided, to wait, if they'd come out, with a new WEBTV/MSNTV, with a broadband connection. My patience, paid off. A friend of mine, told me about MSNTV2, and he told me, that they came out, with the whole new system. He bought his MSNTV2, at Circuit City, and I bought my MSNTV2, at Circuit City as well. They've made vast improvements, with the MSNTV2.

1.a broadband connection, in addition, to a dial-up connection. There's an Ethernet jack, as well as a phone jack, on the back, of the MSNTV2 Internet Media Player--(aka set-top-box).

2.you can download, print, and e-mail your photos, from your digital camera. You have to use, a compatible USB memory card reader, to download, your photos, from your digital camera. There are 2 USB ports, on the back of the MSNTV2 Internet Media Player. One USB port, is for the compatible memory card reader, while the other USB port, is for the compatible printer. You have to use a printer, with a USB cable--you can no longer, use a printer, that uses a paralell cable.

3.the keyboard--If you recall, when we had WEBTV, and the 1st MSNTV, the keyboard, was OPTIONAL, because we had to buy the keyboard, SEPARATELY. The price, of the keyboard, was $50.00. Now, with the MSNTV2, the keyboard, IS INCLUDED, with the MSNTV2, Internet Media Player--(aka the set-top-box). The keyboard, is course, still a wireless one. You also have, a remote control.

Now, just like the WEBTV and the 1st MSNTV, ALL of your updates/upgrades are indeed FREE, with the MSNTV2. Now, also, just like the WEBTV and the 1st MSNTV, the MSNTV2 is indeed,
100 PERCENT SECURE--you NEVER, EVER have to worry about viruses, worms, and bugs--PERIOD.
Now, once again, just like the WEBTV and the 1st MSNTV, the MSNTV2, is 100 PERCENT PROTECTED, from both hardware and sotware crashes--PERIOD.

I'm on a broadband connection, with Comcast. Man, is there broadband connection FAST. I strongly urge anyone, to go online, with the broadband connection. Because, you'll be able to watch videos, which are on the MSNTV2 home page. You can also, listen to music. Now, there's something VERY IMPORTANT, that I'd like pass on to all of you. Now, you can go with any broadband connection, service, that you wish, to go with. Though, IF you go on broadband, with Comcast, they indeed, supply their own cable-modem. Now, YES, Comcast's cable-modem, IS INDEED COMPATIBLE, with MSNTV2. I'm hooked-up to Comcast's broadband service, with their own supplied cable-modem, and I'm NOT having ANY problems, with the modem, it's working with the MSNTV2, just fine. In fact, when I bought my MSNTV2 at Circuit City, the sales clerk told me, to use the cable-modem that Comcast supplies. Now, here's some VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION, that I'd like to pass along--IF any of you, decide to go online, with Comcast's broadband connection, LET THEM supply you with their OWN cable-modem--SIMPLY BECAUSE--if you have, Comcast's cable-modem, and the modem goes bad, Comcast, DOES AND WILL REPLACE THEIR OWN cable-modem. Now, if you buy, your own cable-modem, at ANY store--Circuit city, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, WHEREEVER, you the comsumer, IS SOLEY RESPONSIBLE, for going back out to a store, and buy and replace, your cable-modem. Comcast IS NOT AT ALL, responsible, for replacing ANY cable-modem, you but at ANY store. Comcast, IS ONLY responsible, for replacing, THIER OWN cable-modem. This is Comcast's policy, not mine. I'm just passing along this information to you. I have a friend of mine, who works for Comcast, and he told me, about this.

MSTV Customer Service, is EXCELLENT. The staff, with the Customer Service, are polite and courteous. If you ever have any problems, with the MSNTV2, you can call them for tech support, toll free, 24/7. I've had a few minor problems, with my MSNTV2, and ALL of my problems, were solved right-over-the-phone. You can also call them with any questions, that you may have, about the MSNTV2.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE and BEWARE -- 1000s OF WEBTVs ARE MISSING A PART, February 19, 2005
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I haven't used a WebTV before, so I don't have the experience to comment on the "upgraded" model (RM4100) compared to the old models of WebTV.

I recently ordered the RM4100 model, and was pleasantly surprised that I received my order in 2 1/2 business days.

That feeling quickly turned to frustration and anger, when I tried to set the unit up and I found that the power supply unit was missing the part that actually plugs into a power outlet.

THE POWER TRANSFORMER FOR THE MODEL RM4100 COMES IN TWO PARTS.

When I first opened the box (a box which in fact looked like it had already been opened and resealed) and checked to see that all the parts were included, at first glance it did look like everything was there. The problem is, the power transformer comes in a frosted plastic bag, and if you just eyeball it, it DOES look like you have everything because what they DO pack is the part of the cord which plugs into the WebTV unit and which has the actual transformer box on the line. What is missing is the power cord which plugs into the other end of the transformer box and then into an electrical outlet.

In other words, there's no way to power the unit.

I first called the toll-free number in the WebTV setup manual for customer service, which got me to someone at RCA. This person told me that since I'd ordered the unit thru Amazon, that I'd have to deal with Amazon instead.

I have to stress that all of the customer service people I subsequently dealt with at Amazon were wonderful, and as helpful as the situation allowed them to be (but their hands are basically tied in this manner).

The first person at Amazon I talked to explained to me that they didn't keep separate parts on hand, so the only thing I could do would be to return the whole unit for a replacement. I thought that was a little excessive for what I thought should be a simple part replacement, so she suggested that I call the RCA/WebTV customer service number again, and try to get the part number and the cost of the item, and that if Amazon couldn't find that (or a comparable) part, Amazon would then issue me a credit for that amount.

Since by this time it was after 8pm Eastern Time, the RCA/MSN WebTV customer service was closed, and I had to wait until the next morning to call them back. The person I got at that time did give me the part number, and said that it only costs $9.50, but that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO STOCK AVAILABLE ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY (and presumably in the universe).

She then added that THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM, THAT THEY INADVERTANTLY SHIPPED OUT THOUSANDS OF THESE UNITS MISSING THE POWER CORD, BUT THAT THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO EXCEPT TAKE MY NAME AND GET BACK TO ME "IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS" REGARDING THE RESOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor, explaining that I wasn't about to wait "a couple of weeks" for something that should be very easily replaced, especially since they were now admitting that they were at fault. The supervisor, while very pleasant, was absolutely not helpful at all. She reiterated that there were none of these power cords available anywhere, and that it would take more than 2 weeks, perhaps a month or more, for a replacement cord to become available.

I pointed out that this violates the terms of the unconditional warranty covering both labor and PARTS for the first 90 days of ownership; she could only repeat that they -- customer service -- have been instructed to merely take the names and phone numbers of customers who call in with this problem; they then forward this information to some mysterious, unnamed department whose job it is to compile a list of these customers...she said I could call back IN TWO WEEKS TO SEE IF A TRACKING NUMBER HAD BEEN ASSIGNED TO MY CASE.

She couldn't guarantee that a tracking number WOULD have been assigned by that time, and even if it had been, there was no way to predict how long it would then take for a cord to be sent to me. All she knew was that this department that was compiling the names of customers who'd gotten units missing the cord was going to eventually get around to assigning a tracking number to each customer, and then send the info to a 3rd department that would actually take care of shipping the cord out.

Sometime.

Maybe in a "couple of weeks".

Maybe in a month.

Maybe even 2 to 3 months.

She didn't know. They weren't telling customer service. Customer service is as much in the dark as anyone.

I told her that no way was I going to wait for something that they should be able to resolve right away, and that they were forcing me into the only option available, mainly to send the whole unit back to Amazon, in which case I would do so for a refund, not a replacement. In other words, they were going to lose a sale over the inability to supply a part that costs less than $10 and which they admit they'd bungled in shipping.

I then called Amazon back with the latest info (and to give them a "heads up" that they probably need to check all of the units they themselves ship out to verify that BOTH of the TWO parts of the power transformer are indeed in the box); the Amazon customer service person I got at this time was also very helpful (and as astonished as I was at RCA/MSNs cavalier attitude towards resolving a problem that RCA/MSN admits they are at fault); she again stated that I could return the whole unit to Amazon (without having to pay for shipping) and that Amazon would send me a replacement, but I repeated that I thought that it was a little excessive when all that was needed was a small part (I kept hoping SOMEONE would say "Hey, let's just pull the part from a box we have on hand and send it to this customer", but that didn't happen).

I then added that since the manufacturer is admitting that they sent 1000s of these units out missing the power cord, that I was hesitant to trust that a replacement WebTV unit sent to me wouldn't also have the part missing.

The Amazon customer service person then went to bat for me, putting me on hold and calling various Circuit City stores in my area to see if they had a power cord that could be used (BTW, the RCA/MSN customer service people had stressed that no way could I try to get anything via another retail outlet, as that would "damage the unit" -- yes, perhaps if the WHOLE power transformer had been missing and I tried to use a completely new transformer, but the portion of the unit with the actual transformer box WAS included in the shipment, the only thing it needed was something to actually deliver electricity to the transformer).

HALLELUJAH!! A local Circuit City stated they thought they had what I needed, and said that I could bring the part that I DID have to the store and they'd try to find the power cord that fit it (and since they sell WebTVs, I figured that perhaps if I looked pathetic enough they'd feel sympathy for me and grab a cord out a WebTV box they had on hand) -- remember, I was still under the impression (given me by the RCA/MSN customer service people), that this transformer -- including the power cord part -- was a unique design solely for the WebTV and that trying to use anything else would risk damaging the WebTV unit and/or the transformer box.

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! Circuit City indeed had a power cord to fit. And, as it turned out, so does Radio Shack, CompUSA, WalMart, etc. This mysterious and "unique" power cord turned out to be your common, everyday laptop computer power cord. So much for RCA/MSN's claim that there were absolutely none available anywhere within the known (and presumably unknown) universe.

Circuit City gave me the power cord for free; pretty decent of 'em, considering I hadn't bought the WebTV from them.

When I got home, I plugged the supplied transformer line into the WebTV unit, then attached my Circuit City-acquired laptop power cord into the other side of the transformer box, and plugged it into an electric outlet, and VOILA! It worked perfectly.

As I stated at the beginning, this is the first time I've used WebTV, but I am an experienced PC/Internet user. If I was going to rate this model of WebTV just on my experience so far in going online with it and using it for email, I'd probably have given it 3 stars (I knew not to expect PC bells & whistles, and while good enough for what I wanted it for -- simple email access and limited web browsing -- I've found it unnecessarily clumsy and awkward in its page designs and ability to access certain online fields).

But due to the extreme hassle they -- meaning RCA/MSN, not Amazon -- put me through for a cheap, commonly available part, with a policy (which I was told came down "from headquarters") of telling customers they are going to have to wait weeks, if not months, for the part to become available (and what do they expect these customers to do in the meantime?), I would have rated it zero stars if the option was available. If they treat new customers this way, there is no reason to expect they will treat longtime customers any better.

Remember, it's stated in the user manual that there is an unconditional warranty on labor and PARTS (complete replacement for free) for the first 90 days; but yet the manufacturer is telling customers they may have to wait anywhere from 14 to 90 days for an item that you can easily find in any electronics or computer store.

So buyer beware -- if you are going to buy this model of WebTV ANYWHERE -- whether from Amazon or another venue, make very sure to verify that BOTH portions of the power transformer are included.

Don't just accept an assurance that someone looked in the box and saw it -- I was fooled at first too, since what IS included is the cord that has the fairly large transformer box on it, and without taking it out of the frosted bag it is packed in, it indeed at first glance looks like you have what you need. It isn't until you actually open the bag and take the item out that you can verify whether the 2nd cord is also in the bag.

BTW, I again want to stress how HELPFUL the Amazon customer service people were through this whole process; when I called back the final time to let them know that I'd resolved the problem by getting a power cord at Circuit City, the person I talked to stated that they would be issuing me a credit for $10 just for all the aggravation I'd gone through -- pretty nice, considering the problem isn't even their fault!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointing, November 19, 2004
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I have owned the RCA Msntv2 receiver for all of one week, and must say that compared to the Webtv classic receiver & service, it is very dissapointing.

The only good points I can find are more memory/storage space, and the log-in music is more pleasing.

The cordless keyboard misses just as many keystrokes as the old one, page loading is just as slow as before, and the changes to the keyboard are definitely not for the better.

Someone decided not only to remove the command key, making highlighting text a thing of the past, but also moved he escape key to the bottom left-hand corner, the power button to top center, and added a redundant 'OK' key less than an inch frm the enter key, which does the same thing. This key is now in the position formerly occupied by the page down key.

Navigation usualy requires two to three keystrokes & page changes to accomplish the same task as one keystroke did before.

Making something more complicated does NOT make it better. All in all, I would reccomend that you stay with your trusty classic receiver, if you have one. For simplicity and convenience, it is still better than buying a PC, and better than the MSNTV2 receiver, too.

I would be surprised if this review remains viewable. After all, this site's job is to sell you this stuff, good or bad. And be advised, critical complaints to MSN support techs can result in your account being sabotaged. I speak from personal experience.

Sincerely,

CCE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 21, 2005
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
We've had WebTV for 2 years but it was getting to the point that we couldn't pull up a lot of web pages due to its outdated software so we ordered the new msnTV2. We are happy as clams with it. We can access the internet via phone modem or broadband. It hooks right up to the broadband modem with no problem, automatically configures itself and we were off and running (have patience. The first time you connect, it may take an hour for the modem to configure and connect. Fortunately, we were told to download the msnTV2 update via phone modem before switching to broadband).
We now can do simple tasks like view a web site! On webTV we constantly got, "Page too big to display". We can view some, but not all .pdf documents, we can print with our hp printer which is not a "supported" printer but works great. We can do almost but not quite everything we can do on the internet with a computer. We love the Text Size buttons to enlarge the hard-to-read print. Could do without the "OK" button being below the "Page Down" button. "Back" & "Delete" buttons are in similar spots so I am constantly losing things I'm in the middle of writing that "expire" if you hit "back" when I mean to hit "delete". I'll get the hang of it. The keyboard works way better as far as speed and touch.
My husband prefers msnTV2 over a computer because he can be a lounge lizard with it. I find him napping with the keyboard quite often! It is super fast to turn on & connect - I can google at a moment's notice. And I can chat with a friend in London daily while I'm doing chores around the house much easier than if I was confined to sitting in front of a computer.
We're very satisfied with our (...) investment (after rebate) from the Amazon reseller...and best of all, NO VIRSES, SPYWARE, WORMS, TROJANS ETC ETC to deal with. Whatta deal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your daddy's WebTV, August 31, 2005
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
Tired of paying $24.95/mo for what was essentially an obsolete e-mail device, I decided to replace my old WebTV plus unit which we had used for 8 years with something more high tech. I got a pocket PC for my wife to use for her e-mail, scheduling, some web browsing (quick weather check), etc. From the beginning I had problems configuring the pocket PC with our DSL network. Sometimes it connected, and sometimes it didn't. I also couldn't get the Outlook interface to work with the e-mail settings. It would receive, but it wouldn't send. Since my wife is decidedly non-geeky, I was afraid she would give up using it in frustration, and it would become a very expensive paperweight.

In the meantime I was selling the WebTV unit and looking for a pdf of the Users Guide when I happened to check out the information on MSN TV 2. It was a revelation. WebTV had gone broadband! The more I read the more it seemed like the perfect solution - maintain the familiar comfort level of WebTV for my wife and add new and faster functions using our existing network. I immediately ordered one and that night returned the pocket PC for a refund and picked up the MSN TV 2 unit.

Set up was very easy. I used Ethernet cable (not included) to connect to the router and the supplied wiring to connect to the TV. It immediately found the network and walked me through setting up and transferring the account from the old WebTV to MSN TV. I chose the discount broadband option (goodbye $25/mo!). The response time was very quick, the keyboard has a nice feel to it, and we played around with streaming video and audio from the internet. Everything worked as advertised. Later I connected over the network to my laptop PC with no trouble and ran a slideshow of our latest camping weekend trip. I was also able to view video saved on the laptop's hard drive. The MSN TV 2 network interface was quick, and the file structure mirrored what was on the laptop. All I had to do was share out the files on the laptop to make it happen. My wife picked right up and caught up on the e-mail that had been piling up since I bought the pocket PC.

Broadband makes this unit well worth the price and then some. I wouldn't have picked it if it still only operated using dial-up and didn't offer the networking option. Two small concerns keep me from giving this 5 stars instead of 4: (a) there is an OK key on the keyboard right where I would expect a Scroll Down to be; I keep opening a new page or link when all I want to do is move down the page. (b) Because I set the account up using my old WebTV address, that account can't access the Junk Mail or POP mail retrieval options described in the Help section. Tech support (quick but overseas) tells me that change is coming, however. For $100 (after the $100 rebate offer), this is a GREAT DEAL, especially as a second unit in the living room attached to a BIG monitor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Years Later, May 8, 2005
This review is from: RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player (Electronics)
I purchased my unit on the Msn web site back in mid October.Started out for 3 months on dail up and it was a big improvement over the old Classic.Got broadband in January and hadn't looked back since.Hooking up BB with cable was easy and had no problems.Sure the keyboard was replaced because of skipping,but was handled in a professional manner.You have to realize this is no computer in regards you can't burn a CD.I have experienced no major problems with my unit.I know everyone has not been happy with the unit but I would recommend it to any one who wants to get a cost effective way to access the internet.Page Builder? There are more professional ways to build a web page by using the search engines.ALT/DIS?There are plenty of forums to join and learn from.One thing I wouldn't recommend is buying an used one or an open box in stores,because some people try to use the old codes from the old webtv.Buy a new one and get the extended warranty so
if anything does go wrong it is covered.People grumbled about the old webtv short comings so give TNB a chance to mature.Mike-OK It's been out four years and it's now outdated.Do yourself a favor and purchase an entry level computer and get a good spyware and anti virus.Since rest of the internet has gone to using flash this product is not much better than the old webtv.Unless you just want an e mail machine an entry level computer will be your best bet!

RCA/MSN TV 2 Internet and Media Player