Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MTech USA MT-086 Fixed Blade Hunting Knife, Black Straight Edge Blade, Black Handle, 12-1/4-Inch Overall
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 16, 2013
I own a fair number of knifes and like to have them around for working around the house or outdoor activities. I am putting together a bug out bag and I already have a Mora Swedish Utility knife (which is fabulous BTW and available here...although I got mine at a gun show) But was looking for a good hunting, camping survival knife for that as well as outdoor adventures. I also am a cheapskate and can't stand to spend a lot on knives when I don't use them everyday. I have an office job and my outdoor and camping/hunting adventures...while regular are still strictly part time. So dropping $200 for a top of the line knife....or even $50 for a Buck knife didn't make sense to me when there are solid options available for under $20.

I received this last night and immediately was curious about the knife and tore into the package. I wanted a good size knife for camp duties and for utility purposes and with a 7" blade this certainly fits the bill. Anything bigger I don't think would be practical for most jobs.

Pros:
It looks cool (not that that should really matter....but it kinda does) It cam pretty sharp. A few minutes sharpening the knife and I could shave the hair on my leg. I walked around with the knife on my property and hacked on a tree, chopped up a card board box in the trash....it worked like a champ. Very sturdy.The grip is rubberized and comfortable. It has a glass break knob on the pommel that, based on the heft of the knife, outght to work like a champ. While it has some weight, its full tang design is well balanced and well suited for anything reasonable (or not) youd need to do with a knife. I have used Buck knives before and I doubt this would hold up as well or hold an edge as well but this bad boy is almost a third of the cost of a buck knife and I think the hande and weighting and blade are comparable based on the price.

Cons: The 3 gripes of other reviewers are absolutely correct but 2 are basically quibbles. The goofy squared of seration on the top of the knife has no discernible purpose and the sandpaper like inserts on the handle (which didn't impact anything from my test use) is kind of a head scratcher. I might be able to file my nails on it. The sheeth on this has gotten a lot of bashing and I get why. THe basic sheeth is just that...its nylon and without an insert, the life expectancy on the sheeth (with heavy use) would probably be short. Not a big deal for the price point. But that velcro strap at the top of the sheeth to hold in the knife....that thing well and truly sucks. It looks like it won't survive for long and is irritating to use and looks bad.

The sheeth is kind of a big deal so I debated between a 4 and a 5 star rating but the knife is such a great value, I chose to overlook the sheeth issue and the other minor stuff. If things change...I'll post an update,
on January 10, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Great blade and very sharp right out of the box. I will surely buy more mtech knives.
review image
on May 5, 2012
Just received this knife and all I can say is WOW!! The blade is what I consider the perfect length and shape for a combat/survival knife. The edge wasn't that sharp, but a few minutes on a diamond stone and it was a hair shaver. A great deal for anyone who is looking for a good quality survival knife and doesn't want to spend 50-100 dollars for one.
on February 19, 2012
I actually bought this knife for a friend as an entry level/future back-up Survival Knife. The fact it is full tang was a big selling point for me and made me comfortable that I was giving him something that would stand up to some basic survival chores a knife would be used for. Also it's size/shape is perfect. It's a big knife but it's not clumsy and the blade has some nice thickness to it. It appears to be strong. It has some heft, so it should have no problem chopping through wood for building a shelter or preparing firewood. Again, it's a gift so I'm only speculating based on what I see and feel by holding it in my hand. I personally have several knives which cost three times or more than this one. Those knives include a Fallkniven A1, a Ontario Spec6, two Buck Nighthawk 650's, a Benchmade Tanto and a CRKT Hissatsu. I'm no pro, but you get the idea.

The review above is right about the finger grooves on the grip being a little too spaced apart. However with all that said. For the $18-$20 you will spend on this knife you are getting a great deal.

I gave it four stars based my experiences with other knives I have came across in this price range in the past. This knife is superior in every aspect to those. I would expect this knife to be in the $40 range. So yeah if you like the way the knife looks, you will like it when it arrives. For the money you can't go wrong.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
I bought this knife to add to my survival kit at home. I have a bunch of knives, many just ornamental, but i felt like i could use a better quality one for emergencies. The knife is balanced and not too heavy, while still feeling sturdy. I haven't tested it out on anything and i have no plans on running out and trying to chop down small trees with it (i'm still unsure why people use that as a testing procedure for knives, but to each his own).

It came pretty sharp, although i did take it to a local knife shop to get it sharpened. The handle is easy to grip. The overall aesthetics of the knife make it look good, although i don't know what the point of the cuts on top are, they have no function and don't seem to add to the look of the knife.

The sheath feels sturdy as well, it comes with a belt loop and a Velcro restraint for the knife handle. The Velcro doesn't seem like it is going to hold up for too long, but this does not affect the overall quality.

Pros:
- Good weight and balance
- Comes relatively sharp (can still be sharpened)
- Nice sheath
- Good handle grip
- Looks good

Cons:
- Just the Velcro on the sheath, that's really all i can see

I'm sure there are better knives out there but honestly for the price, i would go with this one, even if you plan on just using it as a back up.
on October 18, 2014
First off, I'm not a knife aficionado- the last knife I purchased was a Victorinox pocket knife and I was 8.

What I do know is this knife looks bad-ass, isn't falling apart in my hands, the black paint isn't chipping, the rubber isn't cheap and has that smooth yet rubbery feel, the mix of grip tape in the handle is cool, and the cutting edge is sharp.

I don't see why MTech gets a bad rep (from some reviews I found via Google), it's my first purchase from the company and I've found it to be a great deal and impressed by the quality at the price point.

In short, I like it a lot and will be using it to slice and slash open all my Amazon Prime packages.
review image
on October 1, 2014
I gave this knife three stars because I believe for most people it will work fine for the price. I however, put it through the paces for the last month and a half and managed to break the blade in half. I used it for processing wood exclusively. I will say I beat on it hard while it lasted. Hope this helps someone.
on July 6, 2015
The knife itself is pretty good and appears to be of good quality and weight

However, the blade was incredibly blunt (TOTALLY BLUNT) and the paper "hand grips" were coming off - all upon delivery

I have sharpened the blade and now it is perfect................BUT I SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT OUT THE BOX?

The paper hand grips are simply unacceptable - if the knife gets wet, these will come off - for now I have glued them back on, but these "grips" are totally unacceptable for this knife and will come off or easy tear

The
on August 28, 2015
PICKED THIS UP FOR 10 BUCKS TO GET FREE SHIPPING ON ANOTHER KNIFE. SEEMS SOLID,IT IS FULL TANG,BLADE ARRIVED SHARP BUT NEEDS A LITTLE TOUCH UP, SAW ON BACK OF BLADE QUESTIONABLE I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND SPENDING A FEW MORE BUCKS AND GET A COLD STEEL BRAND KNIFE. SHEATH ON THIS KNIFE IS A CHEAPO AND THE HANDLE INLAYS ARE MADE OF SANDPAPER, A GOOD 5-10 MINUTES OF CHOPPING AND BLISTERS ARE SURE TO APPEAR. MAKES A DECENT BEATER KNIFE ONLY. FOR 10 BUCKS THIS IS A GOOD SIZE KNIFE
review image review image review image
on July 29, 2014
Well, it Arrived 2 days early, essentially giving me 2 day shipping for the price of 5.

The actual knife is great. The handle is rubber and there is like a half a millimeter between it and the blade, but it doesn't move and is solid as hell. The only problem I have with it is the finger grips are spaced out a little, but you get used to it after a while.

It arrived blunt, but about a minute of sharpening and you could cut your hair with it.

It's really well balanced and feels comfortable to hold. It also has a sword like quality to it. What I mean by that is, it's very well balanced in the hand, but if you swing it around, you can feel how heavy the blade really is, and there is a lot of leverage while swinging it. Basically, if you needed to hack into something or someone, you could do it. A lot of knives are shorter, so "hacking" something would take a lot of strength, but with this knife, you can swing it and generate a lot of power. I used it today to cut some branches down behind my house, and each one (about 3 inches thick) came down in 2 hits.