5.0 out of 5 stars Best knife for the price.
Published on January 24, 2009 by Tequilla Sunrise

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair Price for Product/ Need Some Works
I was looking for a full tang small knife for all purpose usage. Could not find detail specs on the Product Description, such as blade thickness, blade length, full tang, etc.
After reading other people's reviews, I bought both "Fixed Blade Survival Knife Classic Black" drop point version ($16.75) and Tanto version ($13.75.) with Free Super Saver Shipping...
Published on December 17, 2010 by PracticalGuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best knife for the price., January 24, 2009
Tequilla Sunrise (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MTECH USA Rescue Team Fixed Blade Survival Knife 10.25-Inch (Sports)
WOW! This is my second knife made by mtech and I must say they are very high quality for such a low price! This knife is incredible!!!!! It has full tang and is constructed of 440 Steel, making it very strong and durable, unlike the many hollow grip "rambo survial knives" out there with no full tang and will snap like a tooth pick. The finish on the blade is a rough crackle instead of a smooth coating like on most other knives,which gives it a slightly different look which you may or may not like. Also out of the box the sheath and rubber grip smell like petroleum, but that smell has started to fade away after some use. Another thing is that it does not have a lanyard hole in the grip as the hole is filled with a metal plug, but the plug seems to be a better feature as it goes through the full tang making the blade even more sturdy. So in conclusion, im giving it a full five stars as it meets the requirements of a good knife, something which is very hard to find at such a low price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair Price for Product/ Need Some Works, December 17, 2010

PROS:
1. Full tang.
2. Thick handle guard, which is soldered to the tang.
3. Sharpe enough right out of box.
4. Inexpensive price for such a knife.
5. Nice looking and felt balance in my hand.

CONS:
1. Arrived with pommel and handle were loose. Pin on pommel could be easily removed.
2. The velco strap is too short to have firm hold on the knife handle.
3. The handle is too small to have a firm hand grip.
4. Product Description on web page is wrong; there is no lanyard hole in the handle.

For such an inexpensive price that I did not expect to use it right out of box.
I removed the pin on the pommel and the handle; sanded down the coating on the tang and pommel. Then, used superglue to glue back the handle, pommel and pin to the tang. After the glue dry, it becomes a very solid piece of blade for my need.

After thought:
The knife would be perfect if it has (1) thicker blade and (2) bigger/thicker handle.
After all consideration, I could only give it a 3 stars rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually VERY GOOD (for the price), March 19, 2012
I gave this knife only 3 stars for some fairly picky reasons ...

PROS: A strong knife of useful size, well made, of decent materials.

CONS: Smallish Handle, Crinkle Coat is too thick, Longer than advertised.

So, I purchased this knife as a "backup beater", to carry in my waist-pack, in order to baton firewood or to fabricate a Hobo Stove, etc., out of found refuse, if I should get stuck out overnight or if the SHTF.

I gave this knife to a friend's son because the BLADE length (from guard to tip) exceeds the TEXAS EDC length limit of 5.5 inches AND because the handle was more suitable for slightly smaller than average hands. I also did not like that the crinkle-coating was thick and the edge needed a LOT of sharpenning ... I did not wish to "foul" my DMT diamond-stone with the coating.

Frankly, this is a GREAT knife for a young-adult (proper supervision) and the sheaath is adequate, for the price. A great beater ... Thrower ... fabrication "punch" ... Fighter ... and impact batonning blade, at an amazing price. JUST REMEMBER that the blade length does measure a full SIX INCHES, from guard to tip, and it is only the main cutting edge that is 5.25" ... I could have ground the knife down (to legal length) and removed the crinkle coating and put a sharper edge on it but, at a price of only twelve dollars, and with a smallish diameter handle, I decided my friend's son would appreciate it more than I would and would give it the needed TLC.

I am always on the lookout for a good value-blade ... The FALSE SPECS listed on this blade DID mean that I WASTED eleven bucks (plus shipping to my friend's son) and I *AM* ticked-off about that ( AMAZON !! ?? I BLAME *YOU* ).

A solid and useful knife with a useful sheath ... best for those with smaller than average grip. Needs some work to get it sharp but it should retain that edge, once it is acheived.

THREE STARS (but what do you want for under twelve bucks ? ) ( OTHER THAN HONEST SPECS ! ).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, March 15, 2009
For such a cheap knife, you may think it'll be loose, dull, chipped, rusted, crappy, etc. However, you'd be very surprised. It has full tang construction so it is very strong, and has a comfortable handle. Only a few swipes thru a sharpener got this knife where I wanted it to be. If you're thinking about buying it, do it! It's a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, June 16, 2011
D. Tuttle (Live Free or Die - NH) - See all my reviews
This MTech knife is one of the best in it's class for under 15 dollars. Full Tang construction means it can do heavy work without breaking on you. The grip is comfortable and assuring; it won't slip. Knife has a nice overall weight to it and the blade is thick and doesn't flex at all. Feels good in your hand and the construction of the blade puts your confidence behind it. The blade is coated with a thick black coating, almost like it's parkarized, that won't scratch off unless you put some effort into it. It arrives with a decent edge on it and running it thru a sharpener will only make the edge that much better.
The knife is inexpensive, but it's not Cheap! MTech delivers the goods with this blade and it is very much designed to help you Survive. Once this knife is in your hand you will not believe you only paid fifteen dollars for it. On top of it all the sheath is good enough to use. Buy it, buyers remorse will not be an issue!

5.0 out of 5 stars This knife can take a beating, April 27, 2013
I bought this knife for basic camping but after I bought it I realized I needed a knife to use around the yard. I have put this knife through hell and back and it keeps on going and hasn't broken. I have used this thing for over 2 years in the yard doing landscaping and other duties. I cut the outlines of things I am making in the ground, pounded a mini sledgehammer onto it putting in edging for my entire yard, grinded it down sharpening it multiple times. It is one of the best "tools I have used for my landscaping. This knife has held up like a champ and it keeps going.

4.0 out of 5 stars M-Tech Tanto Knife, December 16, 2010
When I received this knife it came in its box wrapped in a paper envelope. I was not expecting the weight or size of the product I ordered. I could tell this knife was solid right from the moment I gripped it in my hands and made a few motions with it. The knife is not as sharp as I'd like it to be, but it is still very sharp(it does not shave hair). I tested the sharpness on paper, then cardboard, then wood. The knife will stick into wood very well, but the powder coating on the blade deteriorates on the top of the blade (the sides are fine). The knife is about 10 and a half inches long total and has a 6 inch blade. Tanto pointed, this knife is very solid and has a KA-BAR style handle. It is a bit different than the one shown, but the only difference is the label placement. The rubberized grip is a plus for me.

Overall, this gets a 4 star rating because it is solid and sharp, but the coating and grip were a bit cheap (but not too cheap)
I recommend this knife to anyone looking to get a solid blade for a very reasonable price. Or people who want a KA-BAR and jsut can't spend that kind of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Knife, February 7, 2013
I got this knife for a friend of mine as part of his birthday present. I had recently purchased a knife from M-Tech (the Whetstone Usa Full Tang Stainless Steel Jungle Survival Knife), and i loved it. Great balance, feel, etc. So i thought this would be a great knife to get for my friend.

It is a nice knife. It has a good feel, the balance is good, the handle is easy to grip. The sheath is also sturdy, in my review of my other M-Tech knife is said the Velcro section that holds the knife handle in place is somewhat flimsy, although it is still flimsy i think they have improved it since i got my other knife.

My only complaint about this knife is that the blade was very dull when I received it. This is easily remedied by getting it sharpened but just wanted to put it out there that it isn't exactly ready to go out of the box.

Overall another very nice knife from M-Tech.

Pros:
Good balance
Easy to grip handle
Nice sheath

Cons:
Dull on arrival
Velcro handle holder is flimsy (although improved)

UPDATE: Just bought this knife for myself. This one was another great knife. It came sharper than the first time i bought it which was a nice plus, also the sheath is different. Instead of using Velcro to hold the handle in place, the sheath now uses a button clip to hold it in place. It does hold it in better than the Velcro did.

UPDATED PROS AND CONS:

Pros:
Good balance
Easy to grip handle
Nice sheath. The handle is secured with a button instead of Velcro now.

Cons:
The fabric that secures the handle is a little flimsy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks cool, but good luck sharpening it, March 9, 2011
Mine came looking exactly like the picture. The black coating on the blade reminds me of spray on bed liner for truck beds. The grip is too small for my "large hands" (I'm 6'1" and wear a large golf glove). The length of the handle is barely ok, it's the diameter that is too small. Everything seems pretty tight, nothing is loose, and there aren't any rattles. The sheath that comes with it is pretty cheap, and seems a little bit small to fit the knife. The velcro on the strap that wraps around the handle doesn't hold very well. It did not come sharp, and it took a while to get it sort of sharp. I'm still working on it after an hour or so of sharpening. I can shave my arm a little with it now. I recently took it camping, and it sharpened hot dog sticks (but my other knife did better, because I can get my other knife sharp!) It rained on us and I ended up batoning this knife to get dry wood to start a fire. All of the black coating on the top of the knife came off with the batoning. The knife is a bit on the light side to do a lot of wood processing. I'm not very excited to try to sharpen it again. It looks cool, but for actual use, there are a lot of other knives that are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Much More, October 28, 2010
I only bought this knife because it saved me $2 with the free shipping combined with my headphones... I was expected to be somewhat be disappointed. Well I was 100% wrong. The second I opened it the weight felt great. The handle was slightly heavier than the blade providing the perfect weight distribution. The blade also had definition to it instead of the flat sided blades. Tanto is my favorite style, but to further my liking for the knife the steel blew me away. 440 Steel is the way to go and the blades 440 steel just blew me away. There is no way this blade is going to get any scuffs or dinks on it like some of my others. Also the grip isn't squishy, but firm enough to provide a comfortable. non-slip, perfect sized grip. Couldn't be happier.