Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MTV Unplugged (CD & DVD)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 13, 2009
Katy Perry's Unplugged album came slightly out of left-field. Hardly anybody would expect a radio friendly pop star such as Perry to go ahead and release and album of her hits acoustically, in the classic Mtv Unplugged format. However, that is what she has done, and the results showcase the young singer/songwriter as a girl whose raw talent and ear for music has sadly been overshadowed by her over-the-top personality and outfits.

Her voice and stage presence are impressive, and her cover of Fountains of Wayne's "Hackensack" and her jazzed-up version of "I Kissed a Girl" are the stand-outs on the album. Particularly the latter, which turns the bragging party anthem into something of a darker, worrisome take on Katy's uncertainties with her sexuality. Whether this was deliberate or not is purely in the mind of the listener, and Perry obviously is content with just sitting back and letting her fans sort out the pieces.

Regardless, this album stands as a testament to a young artist's talent and well-deserved place in the American pop music lexicon. Give it a listen. Highly Recommended!
on January 25, 2010
I just finished watching the show on Palladia... twice. Katy Perry is an artist that I have been torn about. I have liked her music, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to buy a whole album. It's just a little too much pop for me, a little too young, and her antics made me take a "wait and see" approach. I just happened to turn on the show at the beggining. About 10 seconds into her jazzy rendition of "I Kissed a Girl", my jaw dropped and I started recording. I never noticed how fantastic her band is. They really shine in these accoustic versions where you get to hear the fine points. I was mesmerized for the whole show. As soon as I was done watching it through the second time, I launched Amazon in hopes that she had released a CD. I love it that I can get the DVD, too!
on January 20, 2010
Thank god Katy Perry has the talent, intelligence, creativity, sophistication and maturity that critic Deimos "Rock Fan" lacks. When I by chance tuned in to Katy's "MTV Unplugged" performance on Palladia, I didn't know anything about her. I was blown away with her incredible performance. What a triumph! I am an active member of rock 'n' roll's original generation and a connoisseur of rock, pop, jazz, blues and country music. Hopefully the industry moguls will see fit to allow Katy to transcend commercial considerations. She is already way ahead of the game.

Sadly, the joke's on you, Deimos "Rock Fan."
on February 17, 2012
Though I have listened to and enjoyed some of the popular songs Ms. Perry currently has on the airwaves I wouldn't have considered purchasing an entire album as the genre is not something I listen to on a regular basis. I purchased the "Teenage Dream" album from Amazon as a gift for my daughter and saw the overview and samples of the MTV Unplugged CD/DVD set at the same time. My daughter suggested I order it as she had seen part of the DVD elsewhere and thought it was very good. She said she thought I would be surprised and pleased. I own a few MTV Unplugged DVDs of other artists and liked the forum and quality so I went ahead and made the purchase of "Katy Perry: MTV Unplugged". My daughter was right; I was amazed, surprised, and in awe of Ms.Perry's vocal/musical ability and now view her as a very versatile artist and probably one of the greatest women artists of the 21st century. The first time I watched the DVD I remember asking my daughter several times if she was sure this was the same Katy Perry as on her "Teenage Dream" CD. Amidst a few chuckles my daughter nodded affirmatively. I now listen to more Katy Perry music with appreciation as I realize that she is an extremely capable, talented and endearing musical artist. I would sure like to hear some more acoustic tunes from Ms. Perry in the future.The inclusion of the CD of the MTV album along with the DVD has been terrific as my stereo setup has much better sound quality than my TV and makes listening to Ms. Perry that much more enjoyable. Recently, I also purchased Perry's "One of the Boys" CD and a very difficult to find CD of the once shelved album "The Matrix: featuring Katy Perry",both through Amazon.com I'm sure my daughter(and myself)will enjoy them. Thanks, Amazon!
on March 21, 2011
I bought three of her albums. I'm a Prime member so the delivery was outstanding as usual. The only reason that I gave a 4 star rating is because of the quality of the recordings. All three of the CDs seem to have been recorded at too high of a level...to the point of being slightly distorted. I'm pretty sure it's not me...it sounds pretty much the same whether I played them on the Infinity system in my car or my Onkyo/Bose system in my house...and particularly noticable on my mp3 player. As far as the music goes...I would rate it PG13...not for anyone who's sensitive to sexually suggestive material. If you can get by that...Katy's fun to listen to and makes you want to shake your booty!
on October 14, 2012
I bought this CD along with the Katy Perry movie. Very happy with the item. It is all our favorite songs with a sweet, raw edge given by the acoustic nature. If you are a fan at all, you will not be disappointed with this purchase.
on September 10, 2010
I have to say she is quite the singer. I loved Katy's unplugged session! Her voice shines and made me a fan. My favorite song is "thinking of you" really great stuff! This album shows what amazing talent she has. Must have!
on January 23, 2015
My favorite pop artist gets more personal and her performances get stripped down acoustically for this MTV: Unplugged performance. She does her #1 hits like I Kissed A Girl, Waking Up in Vegas, and Ur So Gay, a lesser known song from her first album called Lost, and also does some covers of Hackensack, and an original song she wrote called Brick By Brick. There's also a personal interview at the end of the DVD. and if that wasn't enough, you get a CD to go along with the DVD for your listening pleasure. It's great. :)
on July 7, 2013
The CD is great, the bonus of watching the DVD is truly the icing on the cake! [Not all such CD/DVD combos can say the same...]

Aside from that, you already know if you like Katey's style of pop or not, or you wouldn't be interested in reviews of this. If you like her, it's worth the money. Just be aware the concert is a very low key, intimate setting [as MTV's Unplugged format should be], not one of Ms. Perry's usual concert extravaganzas...

This is really enjoyable, I'm glad I bought it.
on April 22, 2014
I got this for my daughter who is getting into Katy Perry and some of the other current singers. She loves it (no surprise, there!)
My little one is 11 and a half, so she doesn't understand what all of Perry's lyrics mean, so I clean them up a bit and get out of her way as she rocks out.