MW2: Do you have a crack in your disc?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2010 4:59:26 PM PST
M. Klopp says:
Hi - I bought MW2 on PS3 thru Amazon and now my disc has a small 1/4" crack running from the center outward. My system won't load/run the disc at all and I am attempting to contact Activision to receive a replacement. Anyone else have similar problems?

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 6:18:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2010 6:24:11 PM PST
S. Allen says:
Yes i had this problem..it was completely random too. What i have done is saved the game to my hard drive via a friends disk and when i put my cracked disk in it worked like new....I doubt they will replace it tho

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 6:20:23 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
They MIGHT replace it (for a small fee). Usually video game companies will replace a disk even after the warranty period for a small free. I remember I broke my Starcraft disc a while back;all I had to do was send them a photocopy of the disk along with my CD-Key and $10 and they send me a replacement. Some companies require you to send the defective disc back to them (along with the fee) before they will replace it.

Look in the back of your manual, there should be something talking about this as well. It costs them virtually nothing to put the game on the CD so as long as you can prove you actually bought the game, then they should have no problem replacing it after a small fee.

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 8:37:55 AM PST
M. Klopp says:
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I did contact Activision and they are going to replace the disc for a $20 fee. That's... fine, I guess. Although I have never had a problem in my life with any disc cracking like this, which leads me to believe that it was defective given I've only had it for 2 months and haven't played it that much. They said it should take 3-6 weeks to get the new disc, but hopefully it doesn't take that long.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 6:05:11 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
hmmmm it could a problem with the disc itself but it also may be the console. My XBOX 360 was notorious for breaking my game discs in the same manner you described. (small hairline crack in the center). Luckily my PS3 hasn't broken any discs yet.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 6:10:37 AM PST
Sarah says:
Im assuming this is a defect because we have the same problem with ours (for 360) now we cant play at all, started as a small crack and now the inside hole has like 5 diffrent cracks that look like its splitting the disc in two! And the sad part is its only come out of the 360 like 3 times since we got it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 6:48:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2010 6:49:37 PM PST
M. Perry says:
Yes. My MW2 is exactly as you describe but with 2 cracks about 3/4" long going out from the center. It just happened randomly, as this disc is only about 1.5 months old. I also have another kid's game only about 2 wks old that is doing the same thing (total of 2 discs).
I'm wondering if its the system's fault or the disc case that they come in, by applying point forces on the edges while taking in or out.
To test the theory, I am going to store the replacement in a common CD jewel case, which have never broken a CD.
Now, I'm going to contact Activision... ugh.....

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 7:25:45 PM PST
Sarah says:
Good luck, I contacted Activision and was told they would replace it for a fee (20) they said "external damage to the game disk is not covered under our warranty." I don't think it is from the cases only because our game might have come out of the 360 like 2 times since we got it! I guess paying 20 is alot better then 60, also I know Walmart offers there replacement plan for like 3 bucks, never figured it was worth it till now!

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 3:51:59 AM PST
Joyce Kathol says:
There is a couple of cracks going out from the center and a couple of pieces fell out. The store won't replace it, so I guess we need tp contact activision

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 9:10:36 AM PST
Sarah says:
activision will replace for a fee ($20 for 360) good luck!

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 2:00:14 PM PST
Julia says:
What a pain in the a**! Now I will have to take time to contact Activision about this very same problem on MW2 which we've had since Christmas. I think its a problem with the storage case putting undue stress on the disk. I guess that's what I get for trying to keep my games organized and protected instead of just throwing them onto the floor. I hope I get another disk for $20 or less. Thanks for information.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 6:56:37 PM PDT
Zeeks84 says:
Hi I was wondering what you mean by "saved the game to my hard drive". I have this exact problem and a friend with mw2 so I would be able to do what you described, but I don't quite understand how to save games to the ps3s hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 2:39:23 PM PDT
J. Dixon says:
So here is whats happening to these disks. If you look at a newer game and compare it to an older game... Compare the cases the come in. New games come in
"eco case" cases. Lighter and more flimsy. Activision will not replace these for free as it is your fault. Here is their explanation. With the lighter weight cases when you
remove the disk, the case actually flexes and causes the disk to flex as well (supposed to remove and insert it on a hard surface I guess) and the flexing of the case
and disk cause the disk to eventually get stress cracks. As the disk spins in the machine, PS3 or 360, it actually creates further stress on the exsisting crack making
it larger and more pronounced.

Horrible on the manufactures part to go with the inferior cases. I actually trade out the cheap ones with older games and harder cases.

hope this little insight helps a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2010 5:25:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2010 5:25:50 PM PDT
Julia says:
Just received my replacement disk. Came in one of those newer cases and after we carefully removed the disk from the case, we tossed it!

I will consider buying games at WalMart since they do have the warranty program which is very reasonable and makes sense now.

Posted on May 10, 2010 10:41:08 PM PDT
N. Caparas says:
how long did the shipping take?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 2:17:20 PM PDT
Julia says:
It took a good month or so to receive the disk and then another month or so for them to process my check... working great. No problems but then tossed the faulty packaging.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 4:03:21 PM PDT
N. Caparas says:
what number did you call cause i was calling the number on the back of the manual but it keep going to an automated system. where do i call to get a replacement

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 5:06:16 PM PDT
Julia says:
You need to go to http://activision.custhelp.com or just start out at the activision website. I think I searched around on the site and found a place where you could create an account so you could pose a question. There might have been a place for MW2 related problems .... I just wrote a message to them (once account created) about my problem, and then they replied by email and told me what to do. I never called anyone at activision - all done by email. The process was simple once I got started. Just mailed off my cracked disc and waited for new one to come in I think from CA.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 6:53:38 PM PDT
N. Caparas says:
thank you. at least i know it's within a 300 mile range from me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 7:38:12 PM PDT
gamestop also has the replacement plan

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 11:34:20 PM PDT
Travis Dunn says:
I've had the same issue with both the xbox 360 and ps3 disc of mwf2. I borrowed mwf2 from a friend and his is also doing the same thing. At first I thought it might be because of how hard it is to get it out of the case on 360 but now i'm not sure as how easy it is to take it out of the ps3 case. Now I'm wondering wherever they are getting their disc from is the real issue. I have a newer 250gb 360 and 250gb ps3 slim. This is the only game that I've had this issue with. Because of this I won't be buying black ops. I've dropped over $150 with the games and downloads, that is where I draw the line.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 3:23:00 AM PDT
kevin says:
same problem here, with mw2 AND black ops... activision replaced both

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 5:32:21 AM PDT
RazOfDreams says:
The real problem is a combination of the fact that the newer cases are more flimsy than older ones and that the majority of people are no longer careful enough with electronics. People will be way too rough with optical media and still expect it to work. The solution? Keep optical media stored in their cases, be gentle in removing them by pressing down in the middle first to release it from the case, hold them by the outer edges only, and never NEVER NEVER sit there and wipe the bottom of the disc all over your pants or shirt. I see way too many people do that and every time I do I think 'you stupid moron.'

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 10:50:22 AM PDT
H. Garcia says:
People aren't the problem. I'm always careful with my games and this is the first time a cd shows cracks. My mw2 disc chipped in two places within its center ring. The game still plays but im affraid that I will need a replacement to the copy that came with my mw2 special edition 360 console - this is unacceptable. The cracking on my mw2 disc happened when putting my cd into its case. The case's cd locking mechanism was particularly stiff; putting the cd back in, without pressing the case's button would be difficult. The problem here is that they skimped on the quality of the discs they used and now they're getting more money out of us because they wont accept their fault. They need a program that will replace discs that were damaged from normal storing in their oem cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 6:11:10 AM PDT
robert says:
you actually hit the nail on the head. It is poor quality in their discs and they dont want to admit it and have a Toyota car with bad brakes scenario and have to replace hundreds of thousands of discs all the sudden and lose money. They came up with a clever "replacement" plan where you pay $20.00 and mail in your cracked disc and poof you get a new one. Activsion is at fault here NOT Playstation. Playstation authorizes Activision discs but has no real proof that the discs arent perfect. Activision will throw Playstation under the bus on this one immediately. I know because they did when i called them and started investigating this. I actually have replaced the disc 2 times. It actually was being played and then i cut off the machine with the disc in it and came back 20mins later and it wouldnt play. i ejected it and it was cracked. The disc was barely 2 months old. No other games i have, have done this and i used the same practices with ALL games. Activision is just a company that doesnt accept responsibility for their issues.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Playstation 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Playstation 3 by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (705)