Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on May 20, 2010
I've been in the recording business for a long time. I've worked with Neumans, AKGs, and other top-notch mics. This isn't a Neuman, but for the money it blows away most mics selling for quite a bit more. For me, it sounds better than a Shure KSM-27 or even -32. If you want to spend a lot more you can find a better mic, but if you're on a budget this is one to get.
11 comment|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2010
I am in the broadcasting profession, and had been searching for a microphone to use in my own voice-over business. Over the years there were recommendations given from people with whom I worked about different mics. Having been a victim of the economy, I needed a really good microphone that wouldn't bust the budget. There were many options from which to choose. The MXL brand has a good reputation among voice-over artists, so that is the route I chose. But which model? I chose the MXL 770 for it's features, of course, but one factor that drew me back to it was it's appearance. It just has that 'quality' look about it plus I really like the coloring. It is so different from other mics which I have used over the years. It has a warmth and fullness to it. In the proper setting, it works like a charm. And you can't beat the value. If you want something that will give you a quality sound without breaking the bank, then I would give the MXL 770 a solid go.
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2014
This is a great mic for the price. I want to stress "for the price" a bit because I feel like that is what makes this mic a winner. One would be hard pressed to find a better condenser at this price. For that, I can over look its shortcomings.

The build quality of the mic itself is great, but the rest of the kit is just cheep. The shockmount is a joke.I understand that the focus is really the mic itself. I had second thoughts when unboxing this thing because of how flimsy the box was. When I got to the mic itself, I was impressed. The mic itself looks and feels good. The build quality of the mic definitely holds up against higher priced condensers. It makes the corners cut on the shockmount and case almost reasonable.

How does the mic sound? That depends on a lot of different factors. Others have commented on how it picks up noise. The noise issue isn't a problem as I have come to expect that with a condenser. This isn't a plug in and play mic. It takes some know how in order to get the sound you want. I found it to be strident and a bit bright for my taste. With the bass cut it sounded tinny. It's easier to darken bright mic than the other way around, so with a little TLC the issues can be fixed. A little dynamic processing (light to medium de-esser) and a bit of EQ to bring up the low end. After a little processing all I can say is WOW. With a little work the mic sounds fantastic.

One problem that I came across in at least two of these microphones is that there is a horrible reverb issue. It seems to be caused by the hollow casing used on the mic. The issue can be fixed by dampening the inside with some foam or cotton.

Overall this is a decent mic for the price, It requires a bit of time and patience, but the payoff is well worth the investment.
on November 26, 2013
Basically, starting up or beginning recording, you'll need a condenser mic. Stop looking, this will be your work horse, guitar, drum overheads and more importantly vocals, it does a very good job at them all. Is there better? Yes, are they cheaper? No. End of conversation.

Cannot recommend enough on a budget.
on December 31, 2012
I am still working on my mixer/studio settings but, will say that I am pleased with the mic as it's performing what I wanted it for. *Note: I am editing this review and changing the stars to 5 rather than 4. The more I have used this microphone, the more I have realized what a fabulous buy it is! A warm and clear mic, without draining your budget. Great for Blues vocalists.
on October 16, 2013
I have been recording professionally for over 20 years and I must say I have used the worst of the worst starting out with a limited budget and some of the best after success... but with that said the MXL 770 is a hybrid built for these economic times. It has the quality sound and sturdy build of higher end mics for a price that won't bust your budget... add a cool pop filter and you're all set to go. Since the price was right, I took advantage of next day shipping (arrived as advertised).
on August 25, 2011
So, I purchased this microphone to continue recording radio talk breaks and demos, after I graduated Broadcasting school. This mic has been wonderful. The sound you get from it, is clear & quality! Along with the quality, you will also be incredibly satisfied with the decent price on this thing! My advice is to go for this mic, if you don't want to break the bank, but still would like quality recordings.
Great Mic, Great Quality, Great Price and overall, a GREAT CHOICE! Good luck!
on February 13, 2013
Ok we all know this is not a Nuemann. Now that we have that out of the way, this mic is great for the price. Vocals sound very crisp. If you record in a small room this is the mic for you. Add a VoxGaurd like I did and you have a great Duo. Short on cash or dont have a huge budget for your home studio? THis is your CHAMP!
on May 10, 2014
Apparently there's a manufacturers defect with some MXL 770 microphones where the grill/shield on the mic is not making an electrical contact with the microphone housing and causes RF/ground noise (60Hz hum/buzz) to be introduced into your recordings.

I received the microphone yesterday and was pulling my hair out for nearly a day now trying to eliminate the noise. I found that the -only- way I could eliminate the noise (without performing the steps below) was to remove ALL AC connections from the PC, Mixer, and even monitor speakers! This is obviously not optimal since my desktop doesn't run off of a battery!

-- SOLUTION --

I found a post by Googling from a gentleman that said he had the same problem with his mic. He said to resolve it, simply grab onto the grill of the microphone and while holding the base, give it a gentle twist (not particularly in any direction). I did this twice. on the second turn I noticed that the noise was ELIMINATED.

I opted to request an exchange from Amazon as I was afraid that the connection would become loose again or I might cause damage to the mic by twisting the grill. When the second one arrives and is free of this defect, I'll just return the first one. (Amazon has the BEST customer service by the way, if your mic has this problem just give them a call!)

Giving this 4 out of 5 stars only because I had to deal with this frustration. This defect has still not been corrected in new MXL 770's, so be prepared for some buzzing if you're unboxing a brand new mic. However, the "twist" trick might solve it for you!
on October 15, 2012
I'm not too experienced in the field of music creation, but I mainly use the Audix i5, I've used the Shure Sm57... As well as some vocal mics. I know they're not condenser mics... But its quite a difference. The microphone has given me absolutely NO noise yet, and it captures everything....

HOWEVER! If this is one of your first microphones!!!! do know you will have to buy a separate 48V Phantom Power Supply!!! It's cheap... It's only about $20-$30, and it's VERY worth it.