Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MXR M101 Phase 90
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on May 3, 2012
I have several MXR pedals. Every one is superb--except for this PHASE 90 (the non-"script" version reviewed here). This PHASE 90 is worthless for anyone who wants to use it while playing clean, for it adds a tsunami of irritating distortion, a swoosh of sonic dirt. I did some research and discovered that other people who also hate this pedal's distortion suggest some modifications. (Look up "MXR Phase 90 Mods," and "Erik's Corner" will show you how.) I made the "R28," "C11," and "C12" modifications. The result: a slightly improved phaser, one that still churned out plenty of distortion. Finally, I tried adjusting the internal trim pot. On no setting could I get rid of ... you guessed it: distortion. I spent literally hours in a futile and frustrating effort to make this pedal sound merely acceptable. No luck. BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU WANT A PHASER THAT DOESN'T ADD SIGNIFICANT DISTORTION, AVOID THIS INCARNATION OF THE PHASE 90.
on February 23, 2008
As the other reviewer pointed out, modern effects processors just don't get phasers (or really any modulation) right. You absolutely need this for an authentic early Pink Floyd sound (before Gilmour switched to a EM Flanger around time of the Animals tour). There is a very simple mod to make sound a little more like the classic "Script Logo" version that involves cutting one resistor. I prefer the sound that way, but even stock this is a great little effect that does one thing and does it well.
on April 8, 2014
As other reviewers have stated, on clean channels, this pedal works great and the transition between on and off is hardly noticeable. So you can be playing through a progression, turn it on for some fun, then turn it off, and the amp level pretty much stays the same.

But if you you are playing through a dirty/overdrive channel and you turn the pedal on, the output level (volume) changes dramatically. As if you had cranked the volume up. This is fine if you use the pedal the entire time, or you compensate for the volume when you need to use it during a song, or if you want that extra boost when you use the pedal. But for me, I wanted the pedal to be fairly transparent without having to worry about settings; so I'll be returning it.
on December 18, 2012
I'm pretty familiar with this phaser, and I own a few MXR pedals. They are overall a good quality product, and MXR has made quite a name for themselves in the many years they have been around. I ordered a used one, and was shipped one that was beat half to death. However, it works perfectly and I;m sure it will for years to come cause I know how well they are made. I have thrown my old MXR distortion+ to the concrete many times to test it's quality in front of my friends, and it's never given me a problem.
on February 15, 2016
I like the sound of this effect but this pedal should win an award for poor design. I shouldn't get a pop like I'm making a 1/4 connection every time I toggle the pedal with my foot. I'm confident I could attribute loss of tone to this pedal too but that pop is so bad I won't bother troubleshooting more. This is getting returned pronto.
on February 20, 2016
If you are going for that Tom Morello sound that he uses in Audioslave and when Rage Against The machine re-united in 2007 then this is the phaser you want! If you want to rock you can go with the MXR Phase 90 or the Boss Phaser. I have tried both and I have to say both are great. The Boss Phaser your going to be able to do a little bit more with different sounds. If you want a phaser for a clean or loud sound both will suffice.
on March 29, 2013
Simple and compact.
No clicking or buzzing.
Perfect for old Van Halen solos like in "You Really Got Me."
Plus, you can get a swooshing bright sound you can't get with a Flange and Chorus when backing it down and playing clean.
Play some old KISS or some Rob Zombie.
$65 bucks is expensive but a true analog phaser isn't available in most amp emulators.

"You know your man is working hard... he's worth a deuce!"
on January 4, 2013
Received this as a gift for Christmas. I had been asking for the "script" version, and I think my poor girlfriend just saw the cheaper version and assumed it was the same thing. If you want a pedal that will add a whole ton of distortion as well as boosting your volume about 5 notches, then I guess this is the pedal for you. I find it to be completely useless when using any kind of distortion or overdrive. The signal boost is so significant it's startling (not good if you're trying to create textures or use the phase during transitions). It's not AS noticeable when playing clean, but it's still there and if you combine it with any other effects (reverb, delay) you will notice even more. This pedal will literally alter the tone of everything you have, while simultaneously cranking the volume. Spend the extra cash, get the script. Don't waste time or money on this one. Also, on a side note, why on Earth does MXR put the DC inputs on the lower right side of their pedals???? It's infuriating.
on June 6, 2015
It works as expected for the most part. It does distort your clean sound a little though. Best placed early in the chain (I place it right after my wah and tuner like Zakk Wylde does) and used on top of a lead tone. Will get you close enough to EVH/Wylde without breaking the bank. I wish it were true bypass, but for the price that might be too much to ask for.
on February 28, 2013
You can't beat the sound of this classic pedal. From EVH to Zakk, this pedal has stood the test of time and should be included in the arsenal of any up and coming rock star. Simple to use, but not simple-sounding.