Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

on October 20, 2012
If you're looking for some of the best recipes for mac & cheese from some of the best restaurants across the country, then this latest offering from veteran food writer, Ellen Brown, is for you. The recipes here call for a variety of pastas, a world of cheeses, and "add-ins" without end - duck, chicken, lobster, shrimp, crab, sausage, ham, bacon, tomatoes, spinach, caramelized onions, spinach, leeks, herbs, and yes, raisins. A beginning section on finger food and a roundup of desserts at the end make this mac & cheese cookbook unique, but it's the depth and breadth of this collection of the ultimate American comfort food that will keep you coming back for more...and more.
on October 20, 2012
What a range of delicious dishes!

When I think of mac and cheese it's certainly not the boxed stuff I ate as a child, but it's most often with cheddar or maybe Gruyère. But this book has really expanded my world. There are dishes made with smoked Gouda and ones made with Muenster and even goat cheese. There are elegant versions that are finished with truffle oil, and there are simple yet delicious ones made with creamy leeks and sautéed vegetables. There is also quite a range in the way the recipes are prepared. In addition to being baked in the oven or completed on top of the stove, the Skillet-Fried Cheddar Mac and Cheese finishes the dish in a hot pan so that the cheese browns like the crispy edges of a grilled cheese sandwich. This book will be used a lot in my kitchen when I'm having guests for dinner too. Kenn Speiser
on March 1, 2013
If you like comfort food you have come to the right place.

Hard to get bored flipping through these recipes, this is way past the blue box and some Velveeta =)

As cookbooks go, it is not a stunning piece of design but it is functional and tells you what you need to know. I appreciate that the recipes are not unnecessarily complex. We are talking mac cheese so it shouldn't be...

Giving it a 4 only because I don't want to communicate that this is an absolute must have. Here's the real key - IMO you have to like to play with upscale ingredients to enjoy it,
on June 18, 2013
We have close to 100 cookbooks, going back to ones we got from our mothers dating from the '50s and '60s, plus one dedicated macaroni and cheese book we bought within the last couple years. This one is the one we go to when we're looking for great comfort food. It'll definitely get a lot of use in this household.
on June 7, 2013
Not the healthiest recipes but lots of fun and a great treat. It's turned out to be a fantastic way to spend time with my two children. We first spent time ranking recipes and now we are working through our favorites one by one. Nice way to get kids to learn basics of cooking.
on June 6, 2014
I was given a hard copy by a friend for my birthday and all the recipes have been such a hit at our dinner and a movie night that I got it on Kindle so I would have it when I am visiting my family as they have asked me to make recipes out of there. As my friend who gave me the book has stated, it was the gift that keeps on giving. I haven't made EVERY recipe yet, but I would say that I have made almost half of them. The first time I make a recipe I make it just like the book says (very rare for me but my husband and friends are telling me I need to reproduce what I make) and everyone turned out perfect. I have a large collection of cooking books and hate it when you follow the recipe and it doesn't turn out or you get half way through the recipe and discover they left out something.
on December 10, 2012
I decided to purchase this cookbook after I saw it featured on one of my favorite cooking blogs. A cookbook that had over 80 different takes on my favorite food caught my eye immediately.

This book has several recipes, ranging from classic to more modern takes on everyone's favorite comfort food. It's definitely for the more adventurous chef. My boyfriend, who likes more classic recipes, thought many of these versions were a little too creative for his taste.

I would recommend this cookbook to everyone who enjoys macaroni and cheese, and isn't afraid of a little adventure!
on October 11, 2012
I generally love mac and cheese, but always look for ways to add ingredients. This has historically meant dumping frozen peas into a pot of Annie's, so this book is really going to revolutionize my cooking. I have so far tried "Big Kid Mac with Spinach, Caramelized Onions, and Truffle Oil." I made it for a potluck (attended by people much foodie-er than myself); it was instantly devoured, and everyone raved. The dish was flavorful but subtle, so much so that it could be (and was) enjoyed by discerning grown-ups as well as my 2-year old. It is in addition a beautiful and easy to use cookbook, with general information about pastas and cheeses, and lovely photography. I am not really a cookbook person, since I get most of my ideas and recipes off the internet, but I am thrilled to have this book and plan to use it often.
on January 4, 2015
Some of the recipes were a bit more involved and intricate than I had imagined, but the book itself is beautiful. If you are looking for straight and basic mac and cheese recipes, I would probably choose something else, but if you are a more advanced cook, and are willing to experiment with seafood and that type of thing, this would be a great choice.
on October 6, 2012
This book is wonderful! I love Ellen's attention to detail and how she clearly explains each step--perfect for both novice and experienced home cooks. I also liked the the variety of pastas and cheeses she uses. Indeed, there is something for everyone here. This book will make winters very cosy!