Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 10, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I went ahead and upgraded to Lion and have been happy so far. But there are things that I am not sure on how to use. So I have avoided them - waiting for when I purchased a Lion manual.

My first impressions of this book: It is a colorful manual with many color screenshots throughout it. I like how they organized the manual. Each topic is generally contained within two facing pages so you don't have to flip pages back and forth. But of course the more complex topics cover multiple pages.

I like that it seems to explain everything from what each preference is for, to an explanation and how to use the included Apple applications.

The first chapter is for real novices since it explains basic stuff like working with menus, toolbars, panes, etc. Here is a list of chapters:

1. Getting started with Mac OS X Lion
19. Working with Mac OS X Along with Windows
20. Backing up everything with Time Machine
21. Automating your work
Appendix: Installing Mac OS X Lion

As you can see, this book covers pretty-much everything a new or intermediate user would need to know.

I was delighted to come across the fix to something that has been irritating me - how to turn off auto spell correction. I don't like auto spell correction since occasionally it chooses the wrong word. I want it to flag the misspelled words and then let me choose the correct spelling. Now I have more control. I even went to TextEdit and turned off its auto spell correcting. I am happy. Kudos to the manual for that tip.

I like the way this book not only tells you what each preference does, but it gives you step-by-step instructions on how to use it. To give an example, there is a left column that has numbered steps of how to do something. And along the right is the screenshot the corresponding numbers pointing to where you will find that step.

I currently own the Tiger and the Snow Leopard Missing Manuals. Though they do a good job at covering the basics, they are printed in black & white. You get the idea of what they are talking about but it leaves me flat. This Mac OS X Lion on Demand book is another story. It is in full color. Color screenshots and each chapter are color coded. It is an inviting book because of its colorization.

The book includes instructions on how to access the online workshops and keyboard shortcuts for Lion.
on November 23, 2012
It seems that Apple has decided to go berserk by releasing a new Mac operating system almost annually. This book covers OS X Lion, but the latest OS is now Mountain Lion. It can be argued that the two OS's are similar enough for this book to still be useful, but if one intends to upgrade to the new OS at its very reasonable price, why not go all the way with a new version of this book, if it's as yet available. For me, this book is still very useful, especially since I learned that by going from Lion to Mountain Lion, one of my most important programs will cease to run. So until a compatible version of my crucial program is released, I'm sticking with Lion. Sometimes a supposed upgrade can be a downer (sigh). This book, by the way is clear, comprehensive and well-illustrated.
VINE VOICEon September 29, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing you'll notice when leafing through this book is that it has a highly structured layout. For the most part, all of its information is presented in the form of "To do such-and-such a task, follow these steps..." Each chapter has a brief introduction that gives a general overview of the task or tasks to be described, and within the chapter there may be a section titled "Understanding ___" such as "Understanding Printers" in the chapter on Printing and Faxing. There are also occasional smaller sidebar sections titled "Did You Know?", "See Also", and "For Your Information." But the large majority of the book is taken up with step-by-step instructions.

These step-by-step instructions are generally very clear, accompanied by full-color screenshots which are often annotated with red-circled numbers that connect some part of the image to a particular numbered step in the text. I think this layout makes the book an easy-to-use reference, but there are some downsides to the structure. There are also some weaknesses in the book apart from the way it's laid out.

Looking at the chapter on "Working with Mac OS X Along with Windows" provides some examples. This chapter explains how to use Apple's Boot Camp software to install Windows on a Mac so that the machine can be booted to either Windows or Mac OS X. Here, in no particular order, are some problems I found with this chapter:
* Despite the generality of the chapter title, the text only talks about Apple's Boot Camp; the third-party options for obtaining a similar result (which don't require rebooting your computer), such as VMware Fusion and Parallels, are never so much as mentioned.
* The step-by-step instructions explain how to launch the Boot Camp Assistant application; there's no assumption that the reader knows how to perform application-launching.
* In explaining the minimum requirements for installing Windows, it's said that you need a USB or built-in keyboard. At first this seems like absurd information-overkill, until you realize what the text ought to say: That you can't perform the installation if you're using a wireless keyboard.
* Also in minimum requirements, it's stated that you need Mac OS X version 10.7 or later. Elsewhere in the same chapter it (correctly) says that you need Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later.
* It's noted (with a boldface "Important") that a hard drive partition larger than 32 GB can't be formatted as a FAT volume, but no explanation is given as to what a FAT volume is. (And this in the same text that assumes you need to be told how to launch an application.)
* The instructions tell you Boot Camp drivers have to be installed after the Windows installation, and these are available "on your Mac OS X Lion installation disk." This is presumably left over from earlier editions of this book; there is no "Mac OS X Lion installation disk," and the Lion version of Boot Camp Assistant provides a different method of installing the drivers.

And so on. I'm sure there are hundreds of points like this sprinkled throughout the book. Some of them stem from the rigid structure of the book (if you treat each topic as a stand-alone how-to, then each topic is probably going to explain how to launch an application), while others are just plain goofs or oversights.

But all in all, I think the book is a decent value. I'm not a novice user, but I learned a lot from this book, and I'm happy to have it on hand as a reference.
on October 20, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used Apple Macintosh computers since 1984, so I've used every version of the Mac OS since 1.0. While Lion is not quite as big a shift as the upgrade from OS 9 to OS X, it's a major change in interface and features. With one glaring exception, this book serves as an excellent reference and guide for both the novice and the experienced user. I was particularly impressed with the ability to quickly find new features, and I noticed that basics of using OS X were also easily found for novice Mac users.

The glaring exception, however, is iCloud. To be sure, iCloud was not available at the time this book went to press. So the author could be forgiven for neglecting to discuss the subject. Unfortunately, he includes an entire chapter entitled "Sharing Information in the Cloud" where he discusses a non-Apple product confusingly Cloud App in connection with joining the iCloud community.

I will continue to keep this well written reference tool close at hand whenever I'm using my iMac or MacBook, but I will look elsewhere for assistance in using iCloud.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've owned Macs since 1996 and consider myself to be a semi-advanced user. Do I write shell commands in Darwin in my sleep? Hardly - but I rarely have to look things up. I'm used to troubleshooting things myself, but was looking for a nice reference to catch me up with some new things in Lion. I've been feeling out of the loop recently - and frankly, Apple's info pages on the new OS were not as exhaustive as they had been in the past.

I own a lot of reference books and am very appreciative of good ones and very frustrated with bad ones. This one is a bit of a mix. My biggest frustration with many reference books, including this one, is a lackluster index. No one wants to have to read a dictionary or any other reference book from cover to cover to find out one little tidbit. When the author/editor does not make an exhaustive index, you're kinda stuck in having to read it cover to cover or try and find an answer online. When you KNOW you saw a reference to a topic (like file sharing, for example) as you skimmed through the book, but then cannot find this in the index, it's infuriating. You KNOW it's in there - you saw it - but you cannot find it because the index is not exhaustive.

The illustrations are great and I have picked up some tips from this book I wouldn't have otherwise known - but when a book is over 400 pages long, it needs a very thorough, exhaustive index.

The book is great for newbies to the Mac platform - but again - that non exhaustive index is going to frustrate any user that is trying to find something specific.
on October 29, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like another reviewer for this product, N. Hawker, my biggest complaint with this book is the fact that it includes a discussion on a non-Apple product called Cloud App, and not on the actual Apple iCloud itself. Yes, that's because iCloud was not available at the time this book was published.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out iCloud using this Cloud App section before I realized the author was talking about some non-Apple app, not Apple's iCloud. By then, I was extremely frustrated with the book. For that reason alone, I give this book only 3 stars. After all, iCloud is a major feature of Lion. In my opinion, it would have been better if the author had left out the Cloud App and just mentioned that iCloud was a future feature of the Lion system. At least then, I wouldn't have been confused.

My advice: wait for a book that actually does explain iCloud. Yes, this book has a lot of good information on Lion, but without iCloud, it is sorely lacking.
on September 9, 2013
I bought this to try to figure out my new Mac. Especially how the photo part worked. I had a PC and the Mac has a much different outlook on the photo applications. There is not a single thing pertaining to "how to" photos in the book. I downloaded Picassa for Mac and do it all through that program. I don't think I have gotten a single tip from this book.
on October 7, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a new Mac user. I have attended one on one with Apple trainers as well as workshops, but the problem with learning a new operating system, or anything for that matter, is that sometimes new students do not even know the right questions to ask. In addition when using a new system, the computer user does not always want to get on the phone or drive to the nearest Apple store to get answers to one's questions.

This comprehensive book gives us the answers we did not even know to ask and more. It covers Finder, working with documents, exploring the internet, and using mail, music, photos and videos to name a few topics. It gives the user shortcuts, screen shots so we can visually see what to do, and has a "did you know" section with each topic.

It is a must have reference guide that is organized well and has a detailed table of contents so the user can find topics easily.

The book is meant for the newbie as well as the more experienced Mac user. Lion is Apple's newest operating system and the book points out clearly what changed from previous systems. The author has previously worked at Apple, and his company focuses on software training. The results are evident with this book.

By studying this book, the average computer user will learn to get more out of their system and have more fun on the computer as a result.
VINE VOICEon October 10, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just like a man who will never stop for directions because of his pride, I will never read directions because of mine lol. I know it is silly, but it's how I always do things. I have found that reading the directions is more confusing than if I was to just take the time to learn it myself. So for the most part I haven't read directions and usually am pretty successful in figuring things out on my own. Ummmm that is until I started using my new imac. Oh boy!! That is a whole new ballgame!! When you are used to a WINDOWS operating system all these years, a MAC OS is like learning a foreign language!! So when I saw this book was available to MAC users, I put my pride aside and ordered it because I for the life of me cannot figure out this computer on my own.

Ahhhhh I am so glad I got this book, it's greeeeeeat. It is super easy to read and interpret. The directions and reference points are very easy to follow. I am learning so much about this computer and I am very glad I decided to get it. Now anytime I have a question, I refer to the MAC "dictionary" (as I call it) and always find the answer.
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lion OS X for Numbskulls. That's pretty much the book I was hoping to get, and my wish was granted. This step-by-step guide really breaks things down for novices, and Mac proficients will still find good info throughout.

Every application, task, and troubleshooting scenario is outlined with screen-shots and easy to digest test. It's not complicated--the book pretty much spoon feeds everything you'll need to work with this OS. Which is great for me, a recovering PC user.

I was very pleased to see lots of up to date additions as well. I snagged this book before iCloud debuted, but the chapters on iCloud features are current and especially relevant.

If you need an all purpose OS bible, and/or you troubleshoot for less experienced Mac users, On Demand is the resource for you.