Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$15.39

VINE VOICEon November 8, 2011
I have reviewed or at least read every Mac OS X Missing Manual since the Panther version of 2003 and I have said pretty much the same thing about them all-you can't get a better written or more useful manual anywhere. This volume covers the latest Apple desktop operating system, OS 10.7, generally referred to generally as "Lion." It also covers the cloud-based server iCloud, Apple's successor to Mobile Me.

The Missing Manuals utilize a fantastic template of structure, graphical features, unusually useful appendices, and terrific writing style. The book describes the features of the operating system; illustrates with plentiful graphics, charts, screenshots; supplements with many extras in sidebar discussions like Power User Tips, Nostalgia Corner, and Gems in the Rough; adds value by providing great practical suggestions on how best to use the features efficiently and thoughtfully; and adds dollops of wit and humor throughout.

In the latest volume, Mr. Pogue covers the 250 or so new features of Lion, highlighting the features which converge Apple's desktop and mobile device operating systems-touch gestures using the trackpad and Apple's Magic Mouse and the new iPad-like interfaces called Launchpad and Home page. The mobile designs introduce a new way to work on the desktop which will appeal to new users but probably veterans as well. Pogue comprehensively discusses both the new and older ways to run the system and applications.

The book also explains the new iCloud server features and how to transfer from the old (but still ticking) Mobile Me with great suggestions on substitutes for the handful of missing features.

In nearly every section he points out in detail how 10.7 differs from earlier systems, even in the smallest ways. This writing is comprehensive and systematic. He shows how one can revert to the older ways of doing things and even how to use older applications--even OS 9 programs --using shareware Sheep Saver--as Apple has removed the Rosetta code which allowed newer Macs to run the old applications.

There are sections on the new file transfer program protocol, AirDrop, the App Store, iTunes Match, the new Mission Control merging features of the previous operating system--Exposé, Dashboard, and Spaces, the PDF signature trick using Preview, as well as how to make a boot disk because Apple no longer gives you one.

As in all the Missing Manuals, the book covers in detail the free applications provided, the networking components, installation, troubleshooting, Windows/Mac comparisons, and more, all written to service the needs of new and veteran users.

Kudos to Mr. Pogue as no one does manuals any better.

(FTC disclosure (16 CFR Part 255): The reviewer has accepted a reviewer's copy of this book which is his to keep. He intends to provide an honest, independent, and fair evaluation of the book in all circumstances.)
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2011
Spanning more than 900 pages, this type of book is aimed primarily at the advanced-beginner to intermediate level users of the Mac operating system.

It is printed in black and white, and its topic coverage has more breadth and depth than typical Mac OS X user manuals, such as Mac OS X Lion On Demand, Mac OS X Lion: Visual Quickstart Guide, and Mac OS X Lion: Peachpit Learning Series. The aforementioned books are guides/tutorials, whereas the Missing Manual is a more comprehensive and technical reference. A comparable book to the Missing Manual would be Mac OS X Lion Bible, which is of similar size and coverage. Information density per page is high and there is no color, as well as fewer and smaller size graphics/screenshots. Although this is a thick book of technical nature, David Pogue's often witty and non-textbook-like writing style makes it easy even for beginners.

To determine your most suitable book, you can examine the contents, layout, and organization of each book by clicking "Click To Look Inside" on the book's Amazon page. You can also assess the amount of book revision/update by searching for Lion-specific features such as FaceTime, Mission Control, iCloud, etc. and see how much information can be found.

I have purchased the Mac OS X Missing Manual series for Leopard, Snow Leopard, and now Lion. For the first two, I had preferred buying the paper version, but this time I chose the Kindle format instead. I not only save about 30% compared to the paper-based book, I also enjoy the convenience and vastly increased usability. There is no bulk and weight of the physical book. I have the electronic copy on my Kindle, which I can take anywhere, and I can also access it on my computer via the Amazon Cloud Reader online or offline (but no searching within the book feature yet).

As the author David Pogue commented that Lion is the first mainstream download-only OS (no box, no manual, no DVD), I consider it even more fitting to buy the user manual also as a download.

The Missing Manual is thoroughly updated for Lion and is easy to read and understand. I recommend it highly.
1212 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2011
For anyone who has read David Pogue's Missing manual OS X series knows the quality and value of the book and Missing Manual OS X Lion is no exception.

Pogue's easy, and humorous writing style make this series the easiest to read. Having read a lot of dry technical books I really appreciate this.

Pogue kept the sidebar subjects in Lion like "gems in the rough" that walks the user through using keyboard shortcuts as an alternate to using the mouse. "Up to speed" walks the user through finding things faster. FAQ's. "Power Users clinic" This side bar walks the users through things like creating their own icons to how to more effectively search and run queries based on specific criteria and doing more granular searches then using Spotlight by it's self. etc. I have found these sidebar's to be very useful over the years.

All of the new key functionality is covered in Missing Manual Lion like: Airdrop, launch pad, Mission control, Face time, Resume, iCloud, Lion server as well as some existing features that have been enhanced like accessibility, system preferences. printing, auto saving, time machine, networking etc.

Where this series continues to excel at is security and networking, being an IT guy this is very important. I think though that the basic user will find a wide range of topics that Missing Manual Lion covers will be invaluable.

A lot of the book is a rehash of the Snow Leopard book and that's ok, A lot of the value in Missing Manual Lion is in the new features. In the past the Missing Manual books have geared a little more to the technical side but series really has transitioned to something more of a users manual which I think works well. It makes it a better book for most users. Pogue keeps this series at about 900 pages. With all of the new features and the existing features that he covers some things have to go like the under the hood troubleshooting the OS stuff. There are still some troubleshooting tips here but not to the depth that they used to be. I believe this is still the most comprehensive book on OS X lion out there. Even if you own Missing manual Snow Leopard you should still get this book, Pogue's coverage of the new features and his detailed but concise explanations/examples are very good.

Very well written a good amount of screenshots but not over done. For the experienced Mac user with the Missing manual series this is probably a 4 star book, for the new Mac user it's a 5 star book.
on March 11, 2012
This review is for the Kindle version only. I have the paper version of the same book for OS X Snow Leapord and found it to be great. I'm a new Kindle owner. When I saw the Kindle version of the Lion Missing Manual at a good price, I went for it. (I actually did this shortly before I bought the Kindle, when I was using the Kindle app on my iPad. I have downloaded this book on both now.) What I have discovered is that I hate using the Kindle for a technical book like this, because I don't read tech manuals from front to back, but rather hop around, flip through and stop when I see something interesting. That's harder to do on a Kindle than it is with a paper copy. I do recommend Pogue's Missing Maniual series in the paper editions.
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
I do not know how he did it! This complete Missing Manual was the first Mac OS X Lion book that I saw announced, and yet it includes iCloud. It tells you what is in Lion and how to use it, and it lists what has been left out of Lion so you will not look for it.''

Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual begins with "The Mac Becomes an iPad," describing the foundation of the Mac O S X Lion revolution. It goes immediately into "The New Lion Landscape," with Launchpad, Full Screen Mode, Safari, Full-Screen Apps, and Mission Control. That is in just the first 14 pages! What follows is the complete readable useful manual that we have come to expect from David Pogue.

'Many people are going to want both the printed copy of Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual, and an eBook version. They may prefer to read the paper version, and it will be impressive on their book shelf, but it will be a lot easier to carry and hold the eBook version. It is easy to find what you want to know in both well indexed and organized versions, but it may sometimes be quicker to search the eBook version.

''I can hardly wait to see, "The Missing CD page for Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual," which "will be here shortly." 'This is the manual that is to big to fit in the box. If you are looking for a bargain, Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual gives you far more pages with more information for your dollar. As expected, David Pogues' humor adds to the reading enjoyment. '

This is, in my opinion, David Pogues best Missing Manual yet. It deserves to be the best selling Mac book for the tenth year straight.
on March 26, 2012
Personally, I hate change. Once I get familiar with an OS, I usually go kicking and screaming to the next one. Such was the case when I "Lionized." There were enough changes in it for a reasonably steep learning curve and I haven't got time to waste plodding uphill, so I got some "Pogue-Power" to help me get up that slope. Been using his Missing Manual series since Tiger and have found them greatly useful and a great accompaniment to a new OS. The series title is apt... Missing Manual is right. Computer documentation used to be good but not for a long while. Sure, you can search online and get answers but if your computer happens to be frozen up, being able to pull a good, old fashioned book off the shelf and look up what you need is a plus. As with the otherMIssing Manual books, the manual is laid out and indexed so you can use it as a quick reference. If you want to start at the front and work your way through, it's well written enough to keep you conscious, interested and even give you an occasional chuckle from a witty turn of phrase.
on November 28, 2011
This is a fantastic and thorough book on the latest Mac OS. Be forewarned, that to get the most from this wonderful work, you should digest it in small chunks. David Pogue's writing style is easy to read and he combines a nice (but not overdone) set of screen shots. Combine these elements with his sense of humor and bits of the Mac OS history, and you have both a very readable document, but also an excellent reference book. I have recommended this book to many Mac Users, of all skill levels.
You will not be disappointed.
on March 24, 2012
This is frustrating as an ebook because it is devilishly difficult to navigate to where I want to go--it doesn't have an active index unless you first navigate to the very end of the book. In other words, you can't just tell it to find a given topic because it will refer you to all instances of a given word or phrase. It's basically a great book; I used the previous print edition very happily and in fact have ordered the current edition in printed form to supplement the ebook version.
on November 5, 2011
Mr. Pogue relieved my frustration. I have been using a PC for close to thirty years. Recently I purchased a MAC OS X Lion. I then purchased three different reference/tutorials, on three different occasions. None of them helped me. This one however puts the others to shame. It makes sense. I don't know if you had the same frustrations I did switching from PC (Microsoft) logic of things to the Apple world. But if you did you very well know what I mean. What the others failed to do, was realize that there are quite a few of us who have been ingrained with PC logic. Mr. Pogue gets it. First realize that Steve Jobs and his wonderful Apple people were moving into the 'i' world. If you have any of these products you, again know what I mean. And by the way eventually you will be switching to the "i" world or something like it. So therefore, start now with a MAC. Get this guide. It is the best!!!
on November 17, 2011
Written by the award winning New York Times tech columnist David Pogue, this more than 900 page book is the new Mac OS X Bible!
If you love tips, tricks, and especially keyboard shortcuts like myself this book is a goldmine!
An excellent array of shortcuts and tips are shared throughout each chapter.

This book covers EVERY and all topics of Mac OS X Lion including Unix, Airdrop, and iCloud,
seemingly with the goal to make any Mac user a real power user.

This book is a feast of helpful information and will surely be your most trusted go to guide for any topic of Mac OS X Lion.

Excellent book in so Many ways!