4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect!
This covers just about anything you would want it to about Mac OSX Lion. The Bible Series of books has always been great reference material from my experience. And I have quite a few for software programs I use. There just isn't enough info on Boot Camp and virtual machines in this book, though they are covered. I would like more detail.

However, it may be...
Published on November 7, 2011 by kstars

3.0 out of 5 stars When they say Bible, think BIBLE
This is a very big manual. I bought it for switching from PC to Mac and having absolutely no idea how to use a Mac.

Published on January 15, 2012 by SailorJoe

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect!, November 7, 2011
kstars "truth-seeker" (Los Angeles County, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

However, it may be kind of pricey, but I believe this book is a must to be able to learn about and access all the great features Lion has to offer. I intend to keep my iMac with Lion for a long time -- maybe 3 years or more. I can thumb through this book and there are features you may never have heard of. Why not use a book and a computer to their fullest?

3.0 out of 5 stars When they say Bible, think BIBLE, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)

It's a very big book, much like the Holy Bible. However, much like the Bible it is difficult to absorb straight through. The best way to use this book is like a reference manual. If you want to do something with your Mac but you're not sure how to do it or if OS X Lion can do it, this desk reference will help you out.

What it lacks in compactness it makes up for in information. It's not for advanced users. This is a very rudimentary Lion for Dummies kind of manual.

I recommend this purchase to users looking to switch to Mac and have no idea how to use the things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starting Place for OS X, October 23, 2011
Admiralu "admiralu" (Camarillo, California United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
The Bible series books are a good background series for topics. This one gives a lot of basic information concerning the new OS X release. It covers a good deal of ground including installation, updates and changes to the OS and differences from the prior release. While easy to understand, it doesn't stand out like David Pogue's Missing Manual series does. It is hard to write a book to cover readers at all skill levels, but the author does give enough information for Mac users and includes some tips for Windows users looking to switch. Move coverage is given to some topics I thing could have been cut like Terminal services and advanced IT configuration. The author walks through the major changes and settings, but to me it still felt like things were missing. This is the only major book out now. It will take a while for other books to be published. Apple came out with this release ahead of supporting material being written. You do have to have books like this since Apple's user guides leave much to be desired. I give it four stars because it did cover a lot of ground. The writing style is dry. I guess I am spoiled by David Pogue's great sense of humor. I still would recommend Mac OS X Lion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps take complexity out of MacOS Lion, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
MacOS Lion is significantly different from previous OS X versions. In many ways it's not as intuitive. I still miss "Save As" . An experienced writer and Macintosh expert - Galen takes the complexity out of OS. I found it a great reference for relatively simple issues - such as importing Fonts into Mac OS using Font Book - it's a great resource to have at hand - I just wish the publisher had a more sensible pricing policy for the digital editions !

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed with book and Trader, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
Virtually brand new. came quickly, saved about $20.00. Would certainly use this dealer again. Very many thanks for your attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars just about every thing you want to know and more, December 22, 2011
this has just about everything you could want to know about lion
i can see some areas where this could get some people in trouble but still a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
Always learning more on my Apple items. This book is very good about explaining all parts of the of OSX Lion. I would recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite for the beginner, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
"The Bible" as it is called is not for the beginner, even though some items are explined well. Here is an example where it is not. First, even though I am a very experienced user of Microsoft pcs, I have become very frustated with this instruction manual. Example: There are at least three windows that open when I start the system. I looked in the index for help and was directed to pages #591 and #592. This instruction told me a way to remove applications from the startup. However, there were none to remove from Figure 27.3.

I tried to navigate and understand the system before obtaining a help reference. This did not work for me. Another complaint, it took quite awhile to find any written material. At the time I found this, it was the only one available. In other words, I did not want to wait for several months. I do not understand how Apple could allow a roll out without first making manuals of any kind available. I even tried my local retailer and they didn't understand this either.

Therefore I will be returning this book and hope the Apple OS X for dummies will help.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is Kindle edition overpriced?, August 19, 2011
Allen A. Watson (Portland, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mac OS X Lion Bible (Paperback)
Not exactly a review: What I'd like to know is why the Kindle edition costs more than the print edition? Is this a mistake? I gave the book 3 stars only because Amazon forces me to choose a rating, and I have not yet read the book.

Mac OS X Lion Bible
Mac OS X Lion Bible by Galen Gruman (Paperback - August 23, 2011)
$39.99 $20.51
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies