Is the MacBook Pro that much more powerful than the MacBook Air for every day tasks?
asked by ebals on November 1, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
votes
If space is what you need go with the pro, it has a 500 gb hard drive, this was the reason I chose a pro, macbook air did not have enough hard drive space for me and I did not want to buy an external hard drive when I could get a mac that had everything I needed. If you just want e-mail and web browsing I would go with an air, just know that you'll have to either buy an external hard drive if you want more space or subscribe to some kind of cloud service, apple gives all users 5gb of free cloud space for certain things like pages and keynote etc, but not for music which you will have to sign up for the itunes match service if you want the music you didn't buy from apple saved in their cloud. You can always sign up with amazon music cloud service too, it's whatever you prefer. My music library is 16 gb so an air was not an option for me because they don't have a lot of hard drive space. You can always pay more to get a bigger hard drive, but who wants to spend even more money when you can just get a good sized pro with all the space you need? As for power, macs in general are pretty fast, switching from a PC I was amazed by the speed the safari opened and how fast itunes and every application I have on my mac opened compared to a PC. I first noticed this speed when I was testing out an macbook air in best buy. After comparing the space available to an air and the price of each macbook pro and air, I went to the apple store and bought a pro, I don't regret that decision because I think I'm getting more for my money. I would choose the pro over again if I had the choice. Hope I helped!
Chelsea Shepard answered on November 1, 2012

A
vote
It depends on what you are using it for. I thought pretty hard about getting the air, but decided with the macbook pro. What are you using your laptop for? Airs are great for internet browsing, checking your email, etc...things that don't require a large harddrive. Airs are entirely RAM, which is instant memory. If you are planning to use a lot of programs/ save a lot of things, I would go with the pro. The air also doesnt have a disk drive, if that is of a concern to you. If your main purpose is for internet browsing, the air is great. Because it runs on RAM, the internet speed is incredibly fast. And of course, the air is lighter, thinner and more sleek.
Emily Miller answered on November 1, 2012

A
vote
The last post hit the mark it all depends for what your using it for. You just need a laptop for regular web-browsing or e-mail the air would be a laptop to consider. But if you plan to do some gaming or programs that use more of the machines resources the pro would be the way to go. Also if you are going to carry your laptop around and you just need it for regular use the air would be a good choice because it's light. That's why in the end of the day you need to do a lot of research to know which laptop will work best for you, and as a pro owner I would highly recommended it.
Eric answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
yes... the processor has a better performance. and you can update the memory in pro version to improve the performance with only 60$ and ssd drive to..... for performance pro is better. for 'EXTREME MOBILITY' air
jose osorio answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
Yes. It can hold much more memory both ram and hard drive. It has more ports, and a dvd slot. But if you wan to go light choose air.
Hot Sheet answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
Sure. The MacBook Pro is much more powerful.
billbravo answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
In my opinion and I did look at both prior to purchasing and the answer is 1000% yes. I had a hard drive slot which the air book doesn't. The mac book pro is a little heavier but not much. It's an i7 which is incredible with a camera and I love it. Minimal ports on the Mac book air. The additonal cost is worth it.
Simba4runner answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
If you are using Adobe like Photoshop or Illustrator, especially complex and 3D work like Autodesk Maya, you are much better off with a Lenovo Y510P. This PC is much cheaper and is at the top MacBook Pro 15" specs, except it has no Retina Display-like resolution. This very high resolution actually drains battery, RAM, and graphics memory, so for basic tasks, you are simply buying two Windows PCs for one here. Do not bother.
Matt Eye answered on April 10, 2014

A
votes
The Macbook Air uses newer processors than this model. They are also cheaper. They have a longer batter life than this model. Airs are built for portability and minor tasks, but I wouldn't limit it to internet and email. I use my air as a teacher to create lesson plans, track my grade book, implement online assessments, take notes at meetings... the list goes on. The hard drive isn't huge, but neither are Word documents and Excel files. I don't store music and store very few pictures on here, but I have tons of notes and documents, and I've been using it for over a year now and I haven't put a dent in the hard drive space. The Pro, on the other hand, might be more useful if you plan on storing your music (it has a CD drive), creating powerpoints and imovies, and running lots of programs at the same time. Keep in mind, this version has a slower processor than the newer Macbook Airs, and a shorter battery life.

So if every day tasks takes you from browsing the web to creating Office documents and maybe downloading a few tunes and pictures, the Macbook Air is cheaper, lighter, longer battery, and more portable (if you can live without a CD drive.) Plus, you can get 128 or 256 gigs of memory, which is more than enough for daily tasks. Look at your current laptop, how much memory are using on you hard drive. That will tell you how much you may need.
c los answered on July 25, 2014

A
votes
For every day tasks like email or navigate web pages not much, MacBook Pro us more like for 3D software, Photoshop, gaming, etc
Alvaro Torrado answered on November 1, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›