4.0 out of 5 stars OK
There are a lot of instructions on this product, although complicated at first, if you follow the instructions correctly and take your time to read them, it will work.

The package come with the included sensors already paired with the base, so, all I needed to do was to change the passwords and include my phone numbers.

When it calls me, I can hear...
Published on January 25, 2010 by Hartung

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing....
The purchase of this product was a knee jerk reaction/purchase to being broken into last fall. The choice of having nothing vs having to subscribe to an alarm service was not pleasing. A relative has a similar DIY alarm system and said they were happy with it and this provided a middle ground.

As stated, the instructions are a little hard to digest at first,...
Published on May 23, 2010 by J. Graganta

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing...., May 23, 2010
This review is from: Macally Air-AlarmI D.I.Y. Wireless Home Alarm System Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)

As stated, the instructions are a little hard to digest at first, but once you understand it, it's fairly easy to program the unit and sensors. (The picture shows the alarm having an extendable antenna as well as the sensors, but the unit received did not have any.)

The supplied no name batteries didn't last very long. The one motion sensor that is in a high traffic area died with in 3 months and the replacement battery is not doing so well (brand name). So don't be surprised if you have to replace the 9V battery twice or three times a year in high traffic areas. The remote control battery is an odd ball size that I only found at Radio Shack (didn't look online, it was actually stocked). I purchased extra motion sensors and the door sensors I have not mounted yet. Keep extra batteries for the sensors around and check the sensors that they are working.

The unit is suppose to have a battery backup, but I have yet to see how that works. If you have to manually switch it over, then it's pointless (only skimmed the manual). I unplugged the unit expecting it to keep "alive" and it went off. If I want it to last/work during a power outage, I might as well get an uninterrupted power supply they use for computers. Also, when the unit is plugged into the phone line and you are using it, it makes a beeping or chirping noise that is heard. If the phone is plugged into the unit, it actually hangs up on you! Factory says this isn't right, but I don't want to sent it back and NOT have protection.

I purchased two units, giving one to a friend who has experienced multiple break-ins. Since then, he has been broken into once since it was installed. The unit did call him and his kids and he called me to check his home (less then 5 min way). He also did not use the door sensor, only relying on the supplied motion alarm. The alarm will scare people off, but be warned, there is still time between activating and actually getting someone there- at least 5-7 min or more. If you want a faster response time, then pay for a monitored alarm service. (Or purchase the external siren to alert neighbors quicker.) Once I walked into my house forgetting to disarm the unit with the remote control, it went off using the motion sensor and called me with in 5-7 seconds of going off. I test my sensors at least every 3-4 months to make sure they set the unit off and to make sure it calls me.

I have experienced one false alarm. The unit went off and called. Upon inspection of home, the unit reset it's self (I didn't memorize all the codes for remote operation)- all doors and windows were secure. Unit was still armed when entering (used remote to disarm). It is unclear if it was a malfunction, or if the motion sensors detected a movement. We have never had any issues with drapes and heat vents in the past, but we suspected it. Unless someone was trying to jimmy a sliding glass door and brushed up against the blinds creating movement(?)- but I have not tested that idea.

It was recommend by local law enforcement that an external audible siren be also used. The internal alarm and unit going off is enough for 'noise' inside the home, but for an alarm to work effectively, an external siren is suggested to alert neighbors of any problems. (I maybe ordering more internal plug in sirens or one or two external battery powered sirens.)

Would I recommend this alarm? Yes and no. Does it work... yes, but not perfectly. Are there better out there, I'm sure there are. Do your research, see what is available. I have it already, so I'm making do.

(Alarms are just one tool to help secure a location. It is not a substitute for not having good door locks/dead bolts. Next step in home defense is to install cameras to record the exterior and any visitors. That way, intruders 'risk' being identified if they try.... Multiple layers of protection will HOPEFULLY deter intruders from choosing your home. And yes, dogs are part of that layer also!)

PS-
IMPORTANT NOTE---- IMPORTANT NOTE

IMPORTANT: When using an alarm system that does NOT call a security monitoring service, DO NOT tell people that. It's better to make people think it is a MONITORED service. If you tell "friends" and the word gets around, the wrong people could find out. And then the wrong people know that they have "time" before someone actually shows up. Right?

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 25, 2010
Hartung (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews

When it calls me, I can hear what is going on ONLY if the alarm is in the silent mode, since it has a pretty loud noise coming from the base (where the mic is).

The door sensor works pretty good, every time I forgot to disarm, it goes off. The motion detector, it is not the most reliable, but it also works, I believe the reliability has to do with the fact that it seems to read the environment every 5 seconds or so.

I live in a small apartment, and I don't know what is the actual range of these devices and cannot say if they work well in large houses/apartments.

So far, it is working OK.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Less Than What You Pay For, July 6, 2010
The instructions for this product are terrible and make little or no sense. The "chapters" follow no logic and it was written by someone who does not speak fluent English as seen by the multiple spelling and grammar mistakes.

Though I was able to get the basic features to work with this alarm, I was not able to program the phone features. You cannot remotely access the alarm by phone if you have a home answering machine.

On two occations the alarm went off for no reason(not armed) most likely due to radio frequency interference.

The entire unite shuts off without an alarm sounding if you simply unplug it from the wall, so I am not sure why it has rechargable batteries.

Nobody answers the toll free customer service number and they have yet to respond to my voicemail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fills a need, December 7, 2010
I got this unit for one feature, that was being able to disarm the unit via a phone.
I purchased this unit, plus an additional PIR and external alarm.

I concur with others the instructions leave a lot to be desired.
First Replace all the batteries. I took the entire first unit back as all but one battery was dead.

I found a dead battery in the door sensor of the second set and both wireless remote batteries were weak, so I replaced them all, after discovering the units were hard to "learn" with weak batteries.

I have had no false alarms and the unit has never failed to go off, I test it once a week, by tripping either a door sensor or PIR.

I am very disappointed in the external alarm, I don't think it is a loud as the internal one.

I may purchase another external, unless I can find a different make external to work on this unit.

I rated it a 3 due to instructions, batteries and the external alarm.
I will say this if I can resolve the external alarm issue I will buy another unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst POS I ever bought, December 23, 2010
DO NOT BUY THIS THING!! Has got to be the worst piece of crap I've ever owned.
Agreed with most other reviewers - the instructions (esp. syntax of commands not to mention the English grammar) are HORRIBLE! But the main problem overall is that it is simply God-awful UNRELIABLE! I've had it for about 6 months and have experienced at least 3 false alarms. Not armed, sitting there in my family room just watching TV and all of a sudden one of the sirens starts blaring for no reason. Another time my wife and I were awoken in the middle of the night with the thing ringing. We did NOT arm it at night. Not only that, but it won't always shut OFF reliably! 3AM and my wife and I are frantically pushing the disarm button on the remote, siren still blaring away. Sometimes the remote works, sometimes not (yes, it and everything has fresh batteries - oh, but they discharge within a few months, even name-brand). Then, the range is terrible. We don't have a big house, single story, but some of the further away door sensors don't trigger the alarm. I also (regretfully) bought the outdoor siren. Works maybe half the time, and it's only about 30 feet away from console. Then there are the motion sensors, which only sense a motion every 5 seconds. I can walk past the range of one easily within 5 seconds and the light never flashes. Sometimes to get it to flash I have to stand in front of it and wave my hands wildly. (I suppose if a burglar did that it might ring...) I'd give this piece of junk 0 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfect, December 10, 2011
Easy to setup and does exactly what it is suppose to do. When first setting up understand that there is a delay in arming the system. Didn't understand that when we first tried testing the sensors and the alarm wasn't going off correctly. Once we knew that everything worked fine and we are ready to order more sensors. The system also has a "home" and "away" setting which is great if you need only certain sensors to be active (home) or all of them active (away). We have a back area of our home that we like to be armed while we are home, especially during the summer, perfect for the "home" option. The wireless remotes work great and have a large range to them. Added our cell numbers which it can handle up to 5 of them, it calls them in the order you put them into the system. Even the recorded message piece works great and easy to record and setup. Overall very happy with this system and would recommend it anyone that wants an affordable home security system.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!, March 4, 2011
Stay away from this one. When I opened the package everything inside was covered with a film of some kind of black dust. The instruction booklet was written by someone with severe language (English) problems. One of a hundred examples: "Avoid children pampering." The instructions would have been humorous if they had been comprehensible. I am reasonably intelligent and mechanically astute but some of the instructions were impenetrable. Activating and deactivating remotely by phone has a serious shortcoming. Dunno about you but I want to leave my answering machine on while I am traveling; the remote activate/deactivate cannot be done unless you leave your answering machine turned off. The instruction booklet tells you this - but the promotional material doesn't. I have to believe that some of these positive reviews here have been written by someone from the company (who might have better spent time writing the instruction booklet).

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Alarm for the money, February 19, 2011
Keep in mind your paying under 100 bucks for this.

I am a professional low voltage tech with 10 years experience and I just installed my 2nd system, I still like this. Its easy to program, works well and comes with 2 wireless keypads! Customers (you) love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars not an easy setup but..., June 23, 2010
me "jess" (wrentham, MA) - See all my reviews
ok so its not a 1-2-3 your done setup you must read the manual 2 or even 3 times once you do get it,its a snap to setup!only took me an hour to get very thing going i mean its not the best one out there but the best one for the price i think. dose what i want it to do protech my home and gives me a little peace of mind,the system is loud when it dose go off and i like the fact it calls people(btw that works really well) so anyway if your looking for a home alarm with out breaking the bank this is the system for you

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as I wanted, March 5, 2010
You dont need to be a NASA scientist to install it. Just read carefully the instructions before use it. that's all I did.
About the system is good enough to keep safe my office. It works great and I have no problems with it. Is not the best system but is affordable and a good complement to your business security officer guard.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›