- Contains External Power Adapter
Macally Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB 2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5-Inch SATA Hard Disk G-S350SUAB2 (Silver)
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Designed for all 3.5-Inch SATA I and SATA II hard disk drives
- Solid Aluminum body for excellent heat dissipation and protection to your hard disk drive
- Supports USB2.0(up to 480Mbps) and USB1.1(up to 12Mbps) host connection
- eSATA port(up to 3.0Gbps) ready
- Supports both IEEE 1394B FireWire 800Mbps & IEEE 1394A FireWire 400Mbps connection
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Two Firewire 800 ports
Power button on front
Pricier than bare-bones alternatives
This enclosure is still going strong despite being banged around some by a toddler who was reaching behind the desk. As was noted in a comment, FW800 is backward compatible with FW400, so I have removed one of my cons to correct this misunderstanding on my part. Pricing has come down on this unit, but USB 3.0 has also become more wide-spread (which this unit lacks), so I am leaving my rating at 4 stars.
I would have given 5 stars but it is a little expensive. However, that was not enough to deter me from ordering another...
- The quality is great. The aluminum helps the enclosure to control temperature. The materials in general makes it look very elegant. Maybe the blue light is not that fancy but it stands out a lot so you can check its status. So the price fits correctly.
- Its very fast, it takes a few seconds to mount. I just pressed the power button and there's the disk on the desktop. I use a Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS which is the one amazon recomends and it works perfectly. I partitioned the disk like this: 500gb (time machine) 1.5 gb for data. My Macbook Pro instanly mounts both disk and work at the same time. I use firewire 800 and the speeds are as advertised. I even connect it to a Hp Pavilion through e-sata, the PC recognized only the data partition and it took 1 min to transfer 6gb.
So don't hesitate to buy it because of it's price. The price is worth it. You get 2 firewire 800, 1 fw 400, e-sata and USB. IT COMES ALONG WITH ALL THE CABLES SO YOU DONT NEED YO BUY ANYTHING EXTRA.
The design is beautiful, performance is perfect, deserves 10 stars.
I mainly use this enclosure along with my Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS to store my movies and TV shows. I'm using this enclosure via Firewire 800 with my 27 inch iMac and the transfer rates are great. I bought the Caviar Green because it is meant as a back up drive and I don't need the extra 1800 rpms of the Blue and Black version, as the highest bandwidth bus I can use is firewire 800. The highest bus this enclosure has is eSATA, but officially only the Mac Pro and 17 inch Macbook Pro have the ability to use eSATA (through PCIe and expresscard/34 expansion cards, respectively). Unofficially, the 2010 27 inch iMac can use eSATA through a mod, but that may very likely invalidate Apple's warranty.
The body of the enclosure is made of aluminum, so this enclosure looks awesome next to any Apple computer. The aluminum helps keep the hard drive at operating temperature through conduction, the same manner as how the iMac's aluminum unibody works. The Caviar Green is designed produce minimal heat from operation, the case is slightly warm to the touch when I am playing files from the drive. The enclosure does not dissipate sound very well, as I can hear the clanking of the hard drive pretty well. This of course depends on how loud your hard drive is, but I believe Western Digitals have one of the quieter hard drives.Read more ›
Speaking of screws, the screws and screw holes for the feet do not match up properly and I ended up stripping the screw. I think a reviewer already commented on this and posted some photos. Both easily fixable with some double sided foam tape I'm sure, but I hate having to fix a mfg's lack of oversight. The feet are made of plastic rather than the aluminum.
As noted before, the power switch is very sensitive and in the front.
I find the construction quality to be lacking on these details so I docked them a star. I don't think they affect how well this enclosure protects the drive, but it leaves me feeling that corners were cut to save costs.
When I compare the construction quality to OWC's Mercury Elite-AL Pro, I feel a bit disappointed. OWC's design is simpler, but no corners were cut in it's design to save costs. The mid belly stand has rubber on both ends and fits well. The enclosure is slightly slimmer and longer with a more confident click switch for power in the rear.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Every Time I plug in the power adapter to the back of the case, it sparks.Published 17 hours ago by -Emilio.
I've had this case for a few years now, and it has been fine.
I have found the FW800 connection to be a bit flaky sometimes, but I don't know if that's the fault of the... Read more
Always found these to be terrific quality, no problems of any kind, but I think they are no longer manufactured/discontinued!Published 5 months ago by \\-olff
very good quality external drive case with multiple i/o ports, sturdy and well made, attractive appearance.Published 7 months ago by Perspectech
I love these enclosures! Macally is a great brand, and will buy again! Totally recommend!Published 8 months ago by JLRumohr
Set up mirrored 4TB hard-drives to set up my iPhoto and backup. When you have kids, it's embarrassing how many pictures you find you've got. Videos too.Published 12 months ago by V. Holt
Great high-speed 3.5' storage for both my older Macbook and Dell business class laptops. It's disappointing that eSATA and Firewire 800 didn't catch on as well as USB 2. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Kage.Maru