5.0 out of 5 stars Sent from Heaven!
This keyboard is the MacAlly IceKey. Amazon.coms description of it is a little wanting,
Published on April 29, 2003 by C. Duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely flawed keyboard
I bought this keyboard because my Mac and PC friends said it had superior tactile feedback, and it does. However...

I was shocked to get a keyboard that didn't work properly with OS/X Leopard. The volume control keys didn't work at all, and suddenly I had to double-click a lot of screen controls on other apps that previously worked with a single click...
Published on September 17, 2008 by H. M. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Sent from Heaven!, April 29, 2003
C. Duncan (Southeastern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
This is, quite simply, the most comfortable keyboard my fingers have ever had the pleasure of using. It's low-profile, short-travel keys are more responsive than any keyboard I've ever seen. It requires far less effort than the long-travel typewriter-style keyboards that are so ubiquitous today. It's scissor-mechanism keys do produce a mechanical tickity-tackety sound when you're typing, but it's hardly obnoxious; I find it infinitely preferrable to the soft, lifeless feel of the quieter rubber-plunger-style key.
Now - for the best part! - the IceKey is made for the Mac computer, but it works just fine on a PC. It's USB interface will work with any PC that supports a USB keyboard. When you plug it in and boot, Windows will detect it as a new device; just let it find compatible USB device drivers in the c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, and it works like a dream. There are four keys in the upper right corner of the keyboard (Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, and CD Eject) that won't work on a PC because they require software driver support, and said drivers are only available for Mac. Honestly, it couldn't matter less to me. I LOVE this keyboard. It's easily the best $$ investment I've ever made toward my computing experience. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard for the typist, October 15, 2004
Manuel A. Ricart "aricart" (Cottage Grove, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
This keyboard is great. I use it on both macs and pcs. The driver (mac only) is only required if you want to activate the extra volume and cd eject keys. Most of the keys have a fantastic feel, very similar to PowerBook but 'harder' to push in - this may improve with use.

The don't likes:
The spacebar because of its size seems flimsy and makes a different sound than the rest of the keys.
There is an extra key on the <ctrl><option/alt><cmd><space><cmd><option/alt><ctl><extra> row.

It would be great if this key wasn't there and then its real estate given to the right <cmd><option><control> (they are a bit smaller, but nothing you'll miss).

using the keyboard 'flat' feels great, and if you are moving from another apple keyboard hands fall right in.

The cord is super long, some people like that.

[its been a few weeks since I started using this keyboard - IT ROCKS!].

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely flawed keyboard, September 17, 2008
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)

So I Googled it, and found there was a newer driver for Leopard that fixed MOST of the problems. I downloaded and installed it, and sure enough it did fix most of the problems. Now the volume keys work, but oddly the mouse still sometimes requires two clicks in other apps (like closing a tab in Firefox) where before it required just one.

As others have pointed out, there was zero documentation in the box. I suspect the average computer user, who wouldn't know enough to search for a newer driver, would be pretty disappointed with this keyboard.

It was fairly cheap at $30, and does have nicer key feel than the slimline keyboard that came with my 23" iMac, though it takes up a bit more desk space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best keyboard I have used in years., March 5, 2004
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
I bought this keyboard for my ibook to spare the built-in k/b ( and because I simply can't type fast enough on the ibook's ). After shopping around on Amazon it came down to this one or the Apple Pro k/b. The cost and reviews of the icekey swayed me and I am ecstatic about my choice.

The keys are solid and respond quickly without the normal squishy computer keyboard feel. My fingers don't have to travel a mile and a half to register the keystroke and I enjoy hearing the gentle click after completing a key press.

The closest comparison to the feel to this keyboard is the keyboard on the Apple IIc that I had so many years ago ( I am dating myself..I realize).
I am really happy now. I can type at full speed, I have two USB ports ( just like an Apple Pro k/b) , and a full numerical keypad. I am also thrilled that the volume control keys and eject keys work flawlessly.

If looks concern you - this is one hot looking little number as well.

I am now hard at work trying to program the "mystery key" ( to the right of the control key) to trigger my coffee maker.

added:
I swear I tried to use the Apple keyboard on my iMac but honestly I was used to better so I just plugged in the MacAlly k/b and it is a thousand times better. I bought it for my ibook but it works perfectly with the iMac G5 and I reiterate that no k/b is better. As a writer the reaction of the keys is very important and this is now the best k/b I have ever used ( including the IIc).

Sadly, it has spoilt me totally and I cannot use any other keyboard now. MacAlly should win an award for creating this fine piece of machinery. And no...I have no connection with the company ( you can check me out in Fodor's Caribbean). This is an excellent and amazing keyboard and after almost 2 years it still looks amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new to report on this excellent keyboard, August 2, 2005
Amazon Customer (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
Everyone else has probably already mentioned everything worth mentioning about this keyboard, but Amazon just sent me an email asking me to review this product, and I think it deserves another 5-star review.

I'm a programmer by day and a programmer by night, so naturally I need a great keyboard to keep from going insane or dying from RSI. I've tried a lot of them, believe me.

The icekey's flat design, minimal key travel, and solid tactile response work in concert to reduce typing stress. When typing feels this good, who needs one of those so-called "ergo keyboard" (you know, those weird shaped split keyboards that take up your entire desk)? I bought one for home use, then quickly bought another for the office.

My only niggle is the strange blank key that does nothing. Hardly enough to keep me from buying another one if one of mine dies, or if I had another computer that needed a keyboard. I wish the price of comfort was this low in other parts of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, April 19, 2005
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
I have to say, after purchasing and returning 2 other keyboards in the past week, I've finally found an excellent piece of hardware to go with my iMac.

Here is a quick summary for those looking feverishly for a fantastic keyboard:

[PROS]

1. Fantastic style (especially for those looking to compliment their Apple computer - iMac et al)

2. Slim design that's very ergonomic - typing is comfortable and "snappy"

3. The scissor-key switch design is brilliant - typing is swift, and little pressure is needed. Tactile feel is also excellent, and I'm rather picky.

4. 2 additional USB ports.

5. Mac-oriented layout of the keys.

[CONS]

1. Although pretty negligible, the USB ports would be better oriented if they were located at the back of the keyboard, rather than the ends - if you happen to use your mouse close to the keyboard on either side, you may have some interference with anything that happens to be plugged in.

2. It's nice and white, so you'll notice dirt collecting more so than on a dark keyboard. One little trick to keep this to a minimum: keep a bottle of Purell (the hand wash that evaporates) next to your machine, and use it before you sit down for a session - works great for me!

Overall, I love the keyboard, although it took me three attempts to find the "perfect" one, I'm completely satisfied with it and would highly recommend it (especially to anyone who happens to own an iMac G5).

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard for keyboard snobs!, February 23, 2006
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
I've always been a bit of a keyboard snob. In my PC days I had a treasured OmniKey, at one time the holy grail of mechanical switch keyboards. I also have used and enjoyed a Matias TactilePro, and several other ALPs style keyboards (these are all keyboards which utilize separate mechanical switches for each key rather than the more common membrane style).

I just bought a new iMac, and love it except for one thing -- the keyboard that came with it is incredibly mushy, even by membrane-keyboard standards. It was not comfortable to type on, and I was constanly hitting double letters. It was driving me nuts.

I thought I was going to have to shell out the $150 the Matias TactilePro, but luckily I saw a review for this keyboard. I was wary of a keyboard that didn't use mechanical switches (the IceKey uses "scissor keys" like Apple's PowerBooks do). But, at less than a third the price of the Matias, I figured it was worth a try.

I'm so glad I took the chance -- this is one of the best keyboards I've ever used. It has the solid, crisp feel that mechanical-key users love, a very short travel time for the keys, great spring-back, a nice little "click" to it without being tap-dancer-loud, and it even looks good with the iMac.

I spend a large portion of my waking time in front of a computer and have for years. So far, I've avoided carpal tunnel and other related injuries, and I think it's due in large part to being so picky about what keyboard I use. Mushy, unresponsive keyboards are simply bad for you.

This IceKey, though, is what keyboards are supposed to be. It's a total keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, July 22, 2005
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
This keyboard feels very comfortable, especially if you are at the computer for hours at a time and type a lot. I immediately found that I was typing a bit faster because they keys are so quick to press and respond.

I like this over the Apple white keyboard because you don't see all the dirt and stuff that gets inside of the keyboard, the Function keys are separated in 4's (makes them easier to quickly find without looking) and the keys don't have that sharp, pointed edge all the way around them.

The volume and eject keys are conveniently in the same place as on the Apple keyboard.

The keys are also much quieter than most keyboards that I have used in the past.

Very comfortable and well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard, even for a PC., April 10, 2004
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
This keyboard is awesome. I needed a very low profile keyboard to make my hands feel better and this does the trick. I use Windows 2000 Pro and it was recognized right after plugging it in. The only drawback is that the keys are designed for a Mac and so it's missing PRNTSCRN & INSERT (and probably something else I cannot remember). This isn't a big issue but might make taking screenshots more difficult. Besides that, it looks great, feels great, and works well. If you've found that you like to rest your whole arm on the desk when typing (as I do) this keyboard is for you as your hands will be only slightly elevated and still in a relaxed position. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Immediately, April 1, 2004
This review is from: Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY (Personal Computers)
This is the greatest keyboard ever made, and quite possibly the greatest creation in all of human history. (Yes, it's that good). The action is suberb, the key size and texture is perfect, and your fingers dance and glide over the keys like hippos doing ballet. My typing speed practically doubled overnight. Its look is futuristic yet subdued, and unlike a lot of third party keyboards, there aren't a bunch of junk buttons and extraneous labeling smattered all over the keys. You have to try it to really see how wonderful it is. It may not be wireless (yet), but it's worth another cable to have this, the keyboard of the gods.

Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY
$39.99 $35.61
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.