5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet!
I've been playing this in a regular senior English class. Many of the students are finally understanding the play. The actors in this cd do a wonderful job interpreting their lines. The Scottish accents are well done. Sound effects make it vivid. It's the best production I've found to date.
Published on October 24, 2005 by D. Durkee

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a condensed version
Published on May 21, 2005 by Allison M. Worthington

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet!, October 24, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to avoid Shakespeare anymore, April 12, 2005
David E. Levine (Peekskill , NY USA) - See all my reviews
I consider myself to be a reasonably literate individual but, I have always avoided Shakespeare since I cannot make sense of the text. But now, I have fianally read Macbeth because, with "No Fear Shakespeare," each left hand page is written in the original whereas the right hand page is a plain English translation. So now I know, that when a porter says "it makes him stand to and not stand to," he is not referring about someone standing up on his feet. Instead, it means that alcoholic drinks make a man have an erection but then, lose the erection. How true is that and how cool is it to be able to understand that? Seriously, Macbeth is a great tale of ambition, deception and conscience. Thanks to this innovative book, I was able to read the original, then, after reading each page, I referred to the translation so I could understand. It was fun to read lines in the original, try to work out what I thought it meant and then check whether I was right. I recommend this as a way finally read and appreciate Macbeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Classroom Use, January 12, 2007
This series is wonderful if you are a teacher. It really helps students to hear how Shakespeare's words are supposed to flow when spoken by classically trained actors. Students snicker a bit at first when they hear the Scottish accents, but they get used to them quickly and the quality of the recording is excellent. The cheesy music in between acts is irritating, but you learn to ignore it. A fun bit of trivia is that the porter scene is acted by David Tennant who most people know as the current Dr. Who! It's also a treat to be able to listen to Macbeth in my car. Shakespeare makes rush-hour almost tolerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Macbeth!, May 14, 2007
DeppSun "Johnny" (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This CD is excellent--the witches are super creepy sounding, and the unabridged text is well performed. Definitely helpful for teaching Macbeth.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a condensed version, May 21, 2005
This review is from: Macbeth (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Contrary to the two editorial reviews at the top of this page, the Dover Thrift Edition of MacBeth is NOT a condensed version of the play. It is the full text of MacBeth. I am grateful that such an inexpensive paperback is available, as I needed to purchase multiple copies for the students in my English class. Other versions of Shakespeare's plays contain more footnotes or short summaries of each scene and, thus, are more high school student friendly. However, if you provide a good study guide and outline, this edition of MacBeth is a great buy, especially for those of us who sometimes must purchase our own supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up from the Teacher, February 13, 2008
TN Teach (Franklin, TN) - See all my reviews
After struggling with my decision to use this book with my senior students, I am finding they are less hesitant to read AND they are enjoying the concepts in this drama! If it were an honors class, I think I would make students read the original text, but for my regular classes, I am very happy with my decision because they are GETTING IT. We are reading the authentic Shakespeare for the really good lines/soliloquys that shouldn't be missed. This is much better than other renditions that simply paraphrase as far as comprehension is concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, March 18, 2005
The translation is clear and it helps immensely that it is side by side with the actual text. That way it's easy to fully understand the meaning behing Shakespeare's language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greed doesn't pay, June 7, 2000
I read this book in class, with my Language Arts teacher and the rest of my class. We didn't do the exact play, just read through it, but it was fun. You may think, why are 7th graders reading Shakespeare? Well, the answer is, we have a great teacher with enthusiasm, that is willing to teach us with his characterists before we read it in high school with the most boring teacher in the world. Anyway, reading this was a blast. With the help of the New Folger Library explanations, and my teacher, I understood this play. It teaches that greed doesn't pay, no matter how hard you try, and how many people help you. Also, you will regret what you do, and realize it wasn't worth it when your head has been removed from your shoulders. It has these great messages, as well as no matter how "perfect" your plans are, they aren't and will backfire eventually. The characters are excellent, although some are very greedy, which makes this play interesting. This was the first Shakesspearean play I have ever read, although I have seen Romeo and Juliet at the opera. This got me interested in Shakespeare, and I plan to read his comedies, and possibly Hamlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marsters Masterpiece, September 24, 2011
Mrs. S. A. Linsell (Seaford East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This is Shakespeare at its best. James Marsters is always a brilliant actor and he gives the role great depth and gravitas. What about James Marsters in a Winters Tale?

I love these audio productions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blown to bits by a bout of bellowing, July 28, 2001
Bill Coulter (Marlton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Macbeth (Audio CD)
Without a doubt, this is the worst audio book I have ever heard. One of the things we take for granted in any movie, radio broadcast, or audio book is that we will be able to hear what the actors are saying. Not so with this disastrous recording of Macbeth.
The players in this production, demonstrating the worst kind of over-acting, spend half the time shouting at the top of their lungs, and half the time whispering so softly you can't hear them. Worse yet, they alternate between the two, for no apparent reason, constantly. The audio engineers, who could have rescued us from this tragedy, chose to do nothing. You will spend the entire duration of this play with your hand on the volume control. Yet you will be unable to hear most of what is said. You will spin the volume up and up in utter frustration, only to be nearly deafened by the next bout of bellowing.
These comments are based on the Harper Audio CD, introduction by Harold Bloom. Hopefully, these criticisms will not apply to other recordings of this superb play, although Amazon may show these comments on the page next to other recordings.

Macbeth (Dover Thrift Editions)
Macbeth (Dover Thrift Editions) by William Shakespeare (Paperback - December 23, 1993)
$3.00 $2.70