5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Hemmingway, but....
Published on July 10, 2008 by Brian D. Griffith

3.0 out of 5 stars Print Size
Please be sure that you do not mistake "Large Print" with the type of print in vison impared books. This large print is really normal print while the other size is really "microscopic size" and on very thin paper!
Published on March 29, 2011 by Roger Paskell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Hemmingway, but...., July 10, 2008
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
There's definitely a wealth of information / data in this book, 75% of which I will probably never use given the nature of my profession. I'm giving this book 5 stars because so far it's lived up to my expectations. I could probably find some of the same information I need on the internet, but it's handy to have so much of it all right here in this handy albeit rather large book.

I can see, as another reviewer pointed out, that this might not be best suited for hostile environments. It's served me well so far at my clean but cluttered desk, and undoubtedly will continue to hold up for many years. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to pay extra for a bombproof version.

As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes when I need a quick break from staring at the computer monitor, I find myself randomly flipping through the pages of my Machinery's Handbook in search of something interesting. So far, it hasn't let me down.

This won't make it on anybody's fast-paced action/adventure bestseller list, but it's clearly an invaluable resource for the mechanically inclined.

3.0 out of 5 stars Print Size, March 29, 2011
Roger Paskell (Agoura Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars LARGER PRINT OK, March 1, 2009
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
The larger print is great! Lots of info and much easier to read and find info, plus it is thumb indexed. I also own the pocket companion and the guide which are not the large print and I do like the large print edition with the hard bound cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and complete., February 23, 2010
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
This is THE engineering reference for the manufacturing industry.

It is very useful to have a version that is readable for those of us whose vision is fading and the only drawback is it comes with the requisite weight and size penalty (which is of note when you are purchasing it as a student and hauling it around to classes in a pile of other books).

Still I am pleased with the completeness of the book.

Every engineer I know has a copy of this on his or her desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical gold mine., December 26, 2010
Watashi "Watashi" (miami, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
I'm a lover of technical books. And since I work primarily with metals, this is invaluable for my projects. It reminds me of some things I've forgotten, and some details I need to brush up on. Being a person that says, "If you want it fixed right the first time, do it yourself", this book has all the data I need. And then some. If you have any questions about metals, fasteners, or gears, you'll find your answers here.
Paper pages are fragile. The CD is necessary for any anticipated rough handling.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Highly recommended", May 20, 2010
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
I'm a CNC machinist / programmer and the Machinery's Handbook has all the info I can possibly every need. Excellent reference for those who work with metals. It also has a nice large easy to read print, however it does have bible like pages. (Thin pages) "Highly recommended"

5.0 out of 5 stars Manager,Gohspeer Engineering, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
Considered to be the Bible for anyone associated with mechanical engineering.
An excellent publication,highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Reference Tool, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
As a Mechanical Engineer, I believe this is an essential tool to have in your office. From trying to design your own threads to figuring out what tolerances are good for a pressed fit pin, this is an excellent reference guide. Some would say you can get much of this information on-line, which may be true, but how much do you trust your designs to charts found on-line? I rather have this book to fall back on.

I purchased the large print because it is much easier to read and since I only use it in my office, I don't mind the extra weight and space it takes up. From edition to edition I haven't noticed many differences but then again I only use a small portion on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Handbook, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
I'm currently a senior mechanical engineering student, and all I can say about this book is that I wish I would of gotten it my freshman year. This book saves me from continually referencing my old text books from my previous classes. It has a multitude of relevant information to my degree and I expect it to come in very handy in the near future with my career. The only downside to this book is that it is truly massive, not something one would want to carry around with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, December 15, 2009
C. Muri (Rural, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition (Hardcover)
I use this book occasionally for my work as an engineer at a power plant. It seems the information is easier to find and better laid out than all the old college textbooks. Get the Large Print Edition unless you want to use a magnifying glass. Also was helpful when taking the PE exam. Worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition
Machinery's Handbook, 28th Edition by Erik Oberg (Hardcover - February 15, 2008)
Used & New from: $190.00