4.0 out of 5 stars Paper makes it useless - improved (edit)
Published on April 23, 2012 by sykosys

3.0 out of 5 stars Please see photos before buying this book
Update 7/30/12
I have received my new copy with the improved paper, and have uploaded a photo of the same page as my previous book with the lesser quality paper. You can see that there is a significant improvement in the opacity of the paper and a reduction in the amount of bleed through from the following pages.

Is it as good as my 24th edition? It's...
Published on February 22, 2012 by G. James

3.0 out of 5 stars Please see photos before buying this book, February 22, 2012
G. James (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Machinery's Handbook 29th Edition - Large Print (Machinery's Handbook (Large Print)) (Hardcover)
Update 7/30/12

Is it as good as my 24th edition? It's close, but no.

Is it good enough for daily use? Probably.

The text has gone from unreadable in the first printing to tolerable in the second. I've spent quite a bit of time today looking at various pages, and while distracting, the text from following pages doesn't completely overwhelm what you are trying to read. We shall see over time, but for the moment the larger text wins out over the tiny text in my 24th edition. The large print book will be kept with me at work and my old book will go in my toolbox at home.

Use your own judgement before buying this book. Take a look at the photos I have uploaded and see for yourself if the bleed through is more distracting than you can accept.

I've changed the number of stars in the review from one to three. The book should still be more readable considering its use.

==============================
Original review:
Twenty years ago, I bought the 24th edition after graduating from college. It has served me well over the years but I wanted to give myself a treat this year and buy the updated version. I went with the large print since it was going to be my last one, and I wanted to make it easier on my eyes to read it later in life.

I had read that the pages were thinner in the last few editions making it more difficult to read, but I decided to buy it anyway. How bad could it be? Well, I found out how bad. With luck, Amazon will publish my photo on the product page and you can see for yourself how thin the pages are. You can see the back of the page clearly, the front and back of the next page, and sometimes even the next page! This book is vastly more difficult to read than the 24th edition I have, and despite having some additional information I would like to have at my fingertips and the larger type, I just can't keep this book.

What good is a reference book if you can't read it? What good is having super thin and super delicate pages on a book that you will use the most?

Please, do yourself a favor and find a good used book. The information hasn't changed much, and your eyes will thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE quality, February 26, 2012
WHAT is the deal with Industrial Press and this edition? Machinery's Handbook is THE gold standard in a single source for just about any topic mechanical. They have put together a fantastic compilation, and has gained the reputation as being the best of the best. Why then, would Industrial Press print this edition with such utterly cheap, ridiculous paper that makes it very difficult to read, with the ink bleeding through from the other side, as well as being able to even see the following pages because the paper grade is so thin and cheap. They really blew it....DON'T buy this edition, previous editions are much better in quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paper makes it useless - improved (edit), April 23, 2012
This is not a review on the content, like the other reviewer, I am appauled by the paper. The bleed from the other print (backside and next page) litterally gives you a headache, and makes it impossible to quickly scan anything. I would have happily paid an extra $5 for readable paper. As it is, it's not even useful as toilet paper, and I've bought the 28th toolbox edition to replace it.

**Edit** I have adjusted my review, because as promised, the publisher sent me a new copy of this edition. You can still see the text from the reverse of the page, and the page following, but they're sufficiently faint that the eye can ignore it. This new edition is about 3/8" thicker than the previous edition. I have not given it five stars because I would have preferred slightly thicker paper. It can be a little distracting when there are opposing graphs.

Given that this book is so indispensable, Charging an extra $5 for it, and having opaque paper, would make it perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, poor quality; and nonexistent customer service (but please see my edit.), July 31, 2012
jeep (Western PA) - See all my reviews
Well, the Machinery's Handbook is without question the authoritative source for machining.
That goes without saying.

BUT unfortunately, everything that has been said about the poor quality of the book is true.

I bought mine in March (2012), but only recently saw the comments by Mr. Alex Luchars from Industrial Press in response to the bad reviews.

Since my book is still in virgin condition and has never left my house (can't read it, actually afraid of tearing pages just by turning them), I thought
I would take Mr. Luchars up on his offer of a replacement book.

Being as I am hard of hearing, I prefer to do as much correspondence as possible by email rather than by phone.
Well I've sent them three (3) emails in the last two weeks, and haven't even gotten the courtesy of a reply.

So apparently Mr. Luchars was merely talking about customer satisfaction, but in reality, Industrial Press just doesn't care.

*** EDIT ***

After Mr. Alex Luchars replied to my review, I again emailed Industrial Press, and this time they replied immediately.
I gave them my name and shipping info, and they shipped it via UPS Air. I had my new copy in-hand about 5 days after Mr. Luchars' reply.

So Customer Service did come through in a decent amount of time (after Mr. Luchars got involved.)

As for the improved paper, well, as a person said above, it is still pretty thin and can be hard to read at times, but it is a definite improvement over the original printing (which probably shouldn't have gone out their door.)

And I also agree with him on another point - that I think we would all be willing to pay a few extra bucks to have thicker, sturdier paper, even if it adds a little height to the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference, BUT..., January 30, 2012
Pros: Great material, improved section on plastics, larger print = easier to read
Cons: VERY thin pages

This is a great reference book for mechanical engineers, machinists, students, or anybody in mechanical trades. Many times have the previous editions helped me through challenges at work, and I have no doubt that this edition will prove different. Additionally having this book has allowed me to remove several other textbooks from college from my desk and be able to find the information faster and more comprehensively.

The larger print is very nice when compared to the very tiny print in the toolbox edition.

However, the paper used is so thin that you can see through nearly three pages at once while reading the book flat on your desk. The pages are far too thin to read clearly. Placing a plain sheet of paper behind the page or lifting the page off of the pages behind it, helps ever so slightly. In my 26th toolbox edition the backside of the page is slightly visible, but no more than that. A reviewer on the 28th edition had similar notes on the paper thickness and legibility.

If the legibility were equal to my 26th toolbox edition's this book would get 5+ stars no problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY WORTHLESS!, March 22, 2012
When I found that the 29th Edition of Machinery's Handbook was available, I immediately placed an order on Amazon.
I ordered the Large Print & CD combination.
I received my order and I am THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED with the quality.
The pages are so thin as to render them UNREADABLE as the print from the OPPOSITE side comes right through.
I am returning my order and will never again purchase Machinery's Handbook or ANY product from Industrial Press until they correct this problem.

You KNOWINGLY put out at INFERIOR product at an INCREASED price.
Shame on you!

UPDATE: August 2012

I returned my original purchase.
I purchased one of the reprints already.
While the paper is still less than ideal for a book of this price, at least it is legible.

There is still bleed through from the back side of the paper.
It's just not as bad as the original printing.

You guys can do better than this.
I'm still rather disappointed in the overall physical quality of the book.
It was made much better in previous years.

Sad to say that I can no longer recommend the printed version of Machinery's Handbook any longer.
The physical quality isn't there.

1.0 out of 5 stars And I didn't believe it when somebody already tore this up in a review!, April 2, 2012
The quality of this book is poor! The content may be great, but the pages are sooo thin they could quite easily tear just by turning the pages. Also, the copy I received when I purchased it through Amazon fulfillment was riddled with misprint errors. Whole sections (continuous runs of pages) were missing with the wrong pages in their place! Example: A portion of the index replaced the end of the section on gears and bearings. I returned immediately and got an earlier edition. Bummer, as it would have been nice to be up to date!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pages too translucent..., August 6, 2014
I'm not certain that Amazon sent me the "Improved Paper" version. There is nothing to indicate this on the book's cover. The ISBN numbers DO however match with Amazon's description page.

The quality of the print/diagrams is excellent, however the paper quality does hinder legibility. The ink does not "bleed through" as many have stated. Still, under typical reading-light conditions the text/diagrams on the opposite side, as well as those on the next page, quite visibly shows through the paper (seems to be as flimsy its tracing variety).

Whatever version I was sent, it has a total thickness of 2.825'' (cover to cover). Measured with a Mitutoyo digital caliper (Hey, this is a machinist's book after all :)) the paper thickness is 2.0 thousandths an inch (2.0 mils). For sake of comparison, I also measured a Honda and a Toyota shop manual; Both have excellent print quality (their paper is not entirely opaque but is still quiet acceptable) and have survived years of use with grungy/oily hands. They use sheet thicknesses 2.5 mil, and 3.0 mil respectively.

Perhaps someone with either book-version could also post the measured sheet thickness of their copy of this book. This information could help out it distinguishing between the two versions of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, February 25, 2012
Pros: It is probably the most complete and in depth book on the machining process I have ever scene, Also they manage to keep it thin enough to still fit in the book drawer of my Gerstner tool box.

Cons: To keep it thin the pages themselves are extremely thin and you can see through them a bit which can be a bit confusing when searching for information or trying to read what you have found. It is still worth it though

5.0 out of 5 stars Machinery's Handbook a MUST!!, January 11, 2014
After buying the Machinery' Handbook, with the accompanying CD, I've decided that I can now set aside ALL my other trusted information sources.
There is simply more information in there, than I can ever imagine myself needing. But, that is the point, to have it all, in one reliable place.

If a person is considering being a Machinist, they must have this resource.

$115.00 $82.63