Macintosh compatibility Is it true that the MinoHD is truly mac compatible? I have the Ultra... regular, I guess, and the included software is for PCs.... the mac side is just .....lame. You can't add music or whatever else it is that PC people get to do...Thanks.... wondering whether I should upgrade
[UPDATED] asked by Mac Girl on December 6, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
This is 100% Mac compatible. I plugged it into the USB port, downloaded and played immediately. It was absolutely seamless. I didn't need any additional software at all. I have a two year old Mac Powerbook G4, Non-Intel (bought my Mac just before it switched). Make sure you have enough memory and space, though. The files are huge!
T. S. Ferguson answered on December 16, 2008
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
According to the specs and other reviews I've been reading, the software for the MinoHD is much better now for Mac than the previous version, but be aware that if you're working on an older laptop or desktop Mac, the Mino HD is not compatible with Mac's running power PC processors, Mac switched to Intel based processors a few years back, so if you bought your mac within the last 2 years or so, you should be fine.
C. Alexander answered on December 6, 2008
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Creative Vado HD is NOT compatible with Mac per Creative's website. At least tell the truth.
Deb answered on December 7, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
We get it "Somewhere", you clearly work for Creative in some capacity. These discussion boards are for discussing the MinoHD. If you were just suggesting this once, I wouldn't care as people have every right to recommend competitive products, but I've seen you posting this all over the MinoHD boards.
C. Alexander answered on December 6, 2008

A
Compatible is a relative term. Avid and Somewhere are both right from where I see it. I believe what Avid means is that the software that comes with the Creative Vado is PC only. What Somewhere is saying is that you can still shoot video on the Vado and then import it to your Mac computer and edit it in iMovie or Final Cut or whatever you want to use to edit your footage.
C. Alexander answered on December 7, 2008

A
so i have a power-PC (non-Intel) PowerBook...does this mean i cannot download Flip Mino HD video to it? can the Flip video be burned directly to a DVD via the USB cable or must one download it to the hard drive first?
amy answered on December 15, 2008

A
yeah, i've been emailing Pure Digital and they tell me unit itself *will* work with the non-Intel Macs and download video just fine (provided you have the space!), but the FlipShare software doesn't. here's a c&p of my conversation with them:

QUESTION (12/15/2008):
so i CAN take video with the MinoHD and download it to my older, non-Intel Mac, but i will not be able to use your FlipShare software, is that correct? Will i lose major functionality of the recorder by not using FlipShare software? i do have iMovie (and do not require assistance with that).

and do you know if it's possible to burn MinoHD video directly from the camera to a DVD on the mac?

ANSWER:
The only function you will lose is being able to upgrade your software, however, since you choose not to use the Flip's software, you will not be affected.

While the videos recorded on your Mino HD will not play in high-definition format on your HDTV directly through the AV cables provided with the camcorder, we do have two work-arounds you may be able to use if you have the existing equipment required.

1) If you have a Blu-Ray DVD writer on your computer and the burning program for the writer, you can transfer your Mino HD videos to a Blu-Ray disc and watch them in high-definition on your HDTV.

2) If you have an MPEG-4 compatible, up-converting DVD player connected to your HDTV though HDMI cables, you may be able to watch them in high-definition by saving the MPEG-4 files from the Mino HD onto your computer then burning them onto a DVD disc in MPEG-4 format. You will actually be burning them onto an standard-definition DVD disc, but the DVD player will upscale the videos to high-definition.

Please note that we do not have HDMI cables available for the Mino HD camcorder.

Thank you, Flip Video Support
amy answered on December 16, 2008

A
I have a Mino HD and i have a 20inch 2.66ghz iMac and it works fine you just have to meet the minimum requirements
G. Halog answered on December 15, 2008

A
Yes, the Flip is 100% Mac compatible. I've been using mine with a 20-inch intel Mac and have had no issues. It has worked perfectly without one hiccup.
C. Alexander answered on December 16, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ferguson, did you use the Mino HD on your non-intel mac? If so, how did you extract/edit files to work with? I was told that the HD wouldn't work AT ALL with powerpc macs.
C. Fritz answered on January 12, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product