5.0 out of 5 stars These Are The Best For Sleeping With A Snorer Period!
Published on January 26, 2012 by DBK

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Okay. Hearos Ultimate Softness Series are better.
Hi all,

Just went to my local Walgreens and purchased Mack's Pillow Soft earplugs and the Hearos Ultimate Softness earplugs at the same time. In short, I personally prefer the Hearos Ultimate Softness earplugs.

Published 14 months ago by Steezmonster

5.0 out of 5 stars These Are The Best For Sleeping With A Snorer Period!, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Macks Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs Value Pack, 6-Count (Pack of 2) (Health and Beauty)
I have had many years of trying to fall asleep and stay sleeping with all the usual problems from noise - especially from my partner SNORING like a freight train! I have tried every kind of earplug there is that has a high rating on Amazon. No, really. I have tried all of them! I spent $75 bucks buying every one of the top rated earplugs on Amazon and have tried them all out. MACKS PILLOW SOFT SILICONE EARPLUGS ARE THE BEST FOR SLEEPING WITH A SNORER PERIOD!

The best ones I found were Flents Ear Stopples SoftWax/Cotten; Howard Leight MAX; Ohropax; Bio Ears with Microban; and "World's Finest Natural Ear Plugs." None of them work as well or fit as well as MACKS. PERIOD. They have various kinds of problems among them such as letting in noise, not staying put, being too hard to conform to your ears, etc.

Yes, I know some people have commented that they can get dirty and feel a little sticky. Well they work better BECAUSE they are a little sticky so they stay in place and don't develop a gap during the night when you move your head and let the noise in. If you keep them in the container they came in instead of sitting them out then they won't pick up dust.

A close second would be the Worlds Finest Earplugs that are made out of essentially the same kind of material - silicone. But they are not as pliable as MACKS and not quite as tacky so they start out good but then in the middle of the night they let in some noise around the edges.

No, I don't work for MACKS or have anything to do with them or gain from sales or own any stock. I'm just writing this to help other people who have suffered through years of not being able to sleep through SNORING. THESE THINGS WORK!!!!!!! :):):)

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific earplugs. Several crucial points., June 29, 2012
John E. Pombrio (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I use Mack's earplugs pretty much all the time to deal with issues I have with noise. 12+ hours a day ( and in public places like shopping and libraries) would not be that unusual for me (I can just hear the comments now, heh!) With that much usage, there are a few points to let you have comfortable and long wearing experience.
1. The earplugs should be a cone shaped 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide at the top. They need to be wetted in order to insert well. A little water or spit does the job. When firmly seated, they will create a strong seal and noise just STOPS dead. If they slip out, they will not seal well and are pretty much useless to stop noise or water. About 2 days of use before I put them aside to get washed and grab another (used) pair.
2. The earplugs can be WASHED and reused many, many times. The best way to wash is to place in the washing machine with a few lint free cloths, low water setting, and a little detergent and bleach. They come out sticky like they were when new. Even old ones will yellow but work well, especially after they warm up and become softer in your ear. When they become too hard and dried out, throw them away.
3. The size they come in the package are TOO SMALL for me. I take about a 1/5 of one of the plugs and add it to the earplug WHEN I FIRST USE THEM. You can tell if they are too small if they are hard to remove from your ear. If they are too BIG, they will be uncomfortable when lying on them. The extra piece will pretty much stick in but has a tendency to start separating again after a couple dozen wearings. Be careful that you do not let the separate piece fall off in your ear. Never happened to me yet, but...
4. Mack's are GREAT for swimming. Inserted properly, they will keep water pretty much out. Never completely dry but really close. I never tried them for diving for those days are long gone. Equalizing your ears would be problematic if not dangerous.
5. Used with a white noise generator (Dohm-DS), the plugs will pretty much guarantee a goods nights sleep even with snoring, cars, or barking dogs.
6. Mack's work well for loud tool usage and I don't have to worry about bulky mufflers.
7. Works well in airplanes but be careful about altitude changes. Pull them out occasionally to let the pressure change. Nothing like flying without the noise of the engines or passengers. Trains, buses, and cars are also much more enjoyable without all the noise and clatter.
8. Use them with the Tempurpedic eye shades so you can actually sleep in a hospital.

These things have given me years of peace and quiet and sleep. I have plenty stashed away in case of the apocalypse. If you have any issue with noise, this is the way to handle it. It may take a few weeks of wearing in order to get used to them but its worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I slept right through my alarm clock, March 17, 2012
My son snores very heavily, so on a ski trip with him last week, I asked him to wear Breathe Right strips. Instead of doing that, he gave me 2 of these Mack's plugs to wear, and I slept so soundly that I never even heard my cell's alarm go off at 7 A M, 5 mornings in a row. They lasted fine for the 5 nights. I'm on line with Amazon now to buy some and wanted to share my results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Okay. Hearos Ultimate Softness Series are better., July 16, 2013
Hi all,

I intend on using earplugs for studying for my MCAT exam and on the actual test day! I picked up the most basic run of the mill orange kind last night from wal-mart and was disappointed to say the least. They didn't block out much noise at all...they just filled up my ear canal and irritated them by making them itchy. I ended up spending 2-3 hours online researching which earplugs would do their job... The definitive article I found was on Slate . com and reviewed several different brands and styles of ear plugs (highly recommend you google this article). The three kinds I ended up being interested in were Mack's Pillow Soft, Howard Leight (I forget the specific kind), and Hearos Ultimate Softness.

I swung by my local Walgreens and was happy to find Mack's and Hearos in stock and purchased them both to try. Upon entering my car, I turned on the stereo opened both packages and tried both. Mack's was first and while they did block out significantly more sound than the orange plugs from wal-mart, and were more comfortable, they were simply unremarkable... At this point I was praying the Hearos would serve me better. I put a foam earplug into my right ear first and was amazed as the foam slowly expanded filling my ear canal (comfortably!) and sealed noise out significantly from my right ear. It took me two tries but I hastily got the left side in and was absolutely thrilled as they expanded and slowly my stereo became muffled to only slightly audible! My sister who was there also could barely be heard in low conversation but if she spoke louder was clearly audible.

I have retried them both at the library and have come to the conclusion that the Hearos are far superior at blocking sound and, in my opinion, more comfortable. I also paid significantly more for the Mack's earplugs (understandable due to their material), and even though I like these less I will probably use them on occasion still.

All in all, Hearos will be the company that continues to get my money. I can't imagine any earplug being more effective than the Hearos...

Best of luck,

David

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sleep-savers, but wish they lasted longer, July 18, 2012
I first discovered Mack's when I unwittingly wound up living adjacent to a fraternity house during college. Since moving to the city and living with loud roommates and/or neighbors, I've continued to use these as a means of preserving my sleep. They're comfortable to wear and do a very good job of cutting out noise at lower frequencies -- for instance, things like bass and the sounds of footsteps from the floor above you are very much subdued with these. Higher-pitched noises like dogs barking and fire alarms will still get through a bit, but overall these things cut out noise very well.

The major drawback to these is that after three or four nights of use, they tend to lose some of their stick. It helps if you make sure to keep your ears nice and clean, which I do, but still, after a bit of regular use it can be hard to get them to stay in place and maintain the seal they're supposed to create around the outer part of your ear. I usually just reach up and readjust them until they re-stick, but it becomes harder and harder to do this the longer you use them. I find that I can usually get about a week's use out of one pair before I feel compelled to start on a new one. As such, these are an ongoing expense, but to me they're well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thirty Year User Loves Mack's Silicone Earplugs, November 19, 2013
Mack's silicone earplugs have been in my ears every night for over thirty years. I like them because: with my size ear, I can cut them in half and get two-for-one; they are sticky and really stay put (until they get soiled); after they warm up they don't put continuous pressure inside my ear and make it sore (as some foam earplugs have done).

While these earplugs did not block chainsaw noise from the street enough that I could sleep (I went to bed early; they worked late clearing storm-downed limbs), they do work for most sounds that can regularly disrupt my sleep.

I go to bed earlier than my family, and these earplugs block all the routine noises likely to interfere with my sleep (wife and child attempting oral communication between home's first and second floors; my 20# dog's occasional, shrill barks; phones ringing; TV sounds; computer games in son's adjoining bedroom; doors opening and closing; toilets flushing).

Be careful at first, as you can sleep through all but the loudest alarm clocks--and even the loudest ones will need to ring longer. My alarm's extended ringing was waking a light-sleeper in the next room, so I bought the Sonic-Boom alarm clock (SBB500ss) from Amazon, as it has a vigorous vibrator the slips under the mattress and would truly wake all but the numbest.

Silicone earplugs do pick up oil and soil from the ears. The more they pickup, the less tacky they become (I use them anyway, as they stay put long enough for everyone else to go to bed, and I'm used to pushing them in a little once or twice through the night).

One reviewer mentioned washing them in the washing machine. I've never tried it; I may try washing a pair by hand first. Without washing them, I usually get a couple weeks use from a pair before I toss them.

I keep a pair in my briefcase. They allow me to read without being unduly disturbed by the TV's and the people in the car's service department waiting room. I sometimes use them during a movie when the volume is just too loud. They are great when I'm working at the computer and the large dog three-doors-down is barking for hours on end because the wind is blowing, or something.

While everyone has different needs and can have different experiences with these plugs, I think they are well worth trying.

BTW, if you need to add a bit from one plug to another to size them, knead the plug between your fingers like bread and it will warm up and become one piece very quickly (you don't want to chance a small piece coming off in your ear).

Good luck in finding something that works well for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Motorcyclists !, September 4, 2012
I clearly don't understand why there are any negative reviews on this product. I ride a motorcycle,and have tried numerous ear plugs,including custom molded. These are by far the best I have ever tried. The trick to these are to roll them up in a ball as directed,then pull the top of your ear up before inserting. This helps to get a better seal. I cannot beleive how much nicer it was to ride with these in my ears. They block off just enough wind and road noise, and you can still hear. You can re-use them as well.I have a small plastic box I bring with me on rides,to store them in when I'm off the bike. whether you need these for swimming,sleeping,working or whatever, I don't think you'll find a better alternative than these. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT..., July 4, 2012
This is a great product that works superbly, BUT you can find them cheaper at Walmart. Don't let the "Pack of 2" fool you, this is actually ONE package of 12 individual earplugs (6 pairs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best earplugs for sleeping, October 24, 2011
I've tried all types of earplugs for sleeping, and this is the only type that is comfortable enough for use all night. I find them extremely useful for getting a good night's sleep, and very comfortable.

They block out noise well enough - not sure whether the noise reduction is as much as the strongest foam plugs, but at least it's close.

It's important to apply them as directed - they need to stick to your outer ear. Ear wax, dirt, etc. can keep them from sticking properly; that's the main reason you need to discard them after a few uses. Don't insert them into the ear canal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly effective and simple to use earplugs, June 21, 2014
I've been using these earplugs for several weeks now and they're definitely better than other ones I've tried. I got them after I was complaining to a friend about my wife's snoring keeping me awake and he told me about his experience with this particular type of earplug. They're not perfect (my wife is a grizzly-class snorer) but they do manage to substantially block out most of the sound most of the time. They're soft and moldable silicone and it's kind of like sealing up your ears with putty, which is why they're more effective than the kind that aren't moldable, but they stay intact, are easy to put in and easy to take out again. The instructions say that one pair is good for five days (or nights as the case may be) but my experience with them is that they can get you through a whole week though they're noticeably less adhering the last night or two. Anyway, I definitely recommend them for anyone who's having trouble sleeping because of noise that's keeping them awake.

Rate and Discover Movies