Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

VINE VOICEon March 13, 2007
I have tried many types of ear plugs and these are the best. They are made out of soft silicon, so you can mold them to fit your ear. The stay put and are comfortable. The foam-type ear plugs tend to pop out, and they are very scratchy to me. The non-moldable rubber-y ones are even worse; they hurt my ears and don't block out sound very well. "Mack's earpillows" are waterproof, so you can swim without getting water in your ears. (good for swimming and bathing for children who have "tubes" in their ears, too). Your sleep-environment will be dead quiet (except for those little voices in your head!) in a normal room. If you are dealing with partner-snoring, people watching TV in another room, or the like, "Mack's" masks much of that, too. Very handy for travel. The only drawbacks that I know are the fact that they don't kill all noise (nothing does that), and they don't last forever (nothing does that either.) You throw them away when they get dirty, but if you keep them in the case, they'll stay clean quite a while. Sometimes I have to pick the hair out of them after I wake up because my hair tends to get caught in them when I sleep, which can can be annoying. And everything sticks to them, so, if they fall on the floor, they end up looking like nasty boogers.
22 comments109 of 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2007
These "plugs" are supremely comfortable and work like a dream when they are fresh out of the box. The noise reduction is outstanding for the first couple of nights. They have none of the comfort problems sometimes experienced with foam plugs (if, like me, you change position a hundred times a night this is important). Ultimately though, they are disposable and they never work quite as well after the second night or so. They tend to pick up lint up and lose their stick. So you can either replace them every 2-3 nights (which seems wasteful), or else you can learn to live with the slightly reduced effectiveness (they still work - but you don't get the dead silence of a fresh pair) until eventually they fall out during the night (for me, after about 6 or 7 days). Altogether a great product, though. If only there was something this comfortable which could be used long-term without any loss of performance....
0Comment73 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2010
I discovered Mack's Silicone Earplugs several years ago after we moved to Belize. They have been a lifesaver! They have helped me sleep when there was loud music close by, the neighborhood dogs were barking, and other night noises. I clean the outer canal of my ear a litle (do not use a Q-tip and push wax in, it will clog ears, it happened to me) to help keep them clean, and then after a few days when they start losing their "stick", I use my fingernail to scrape off the very outer layer, and they are sticky a while longer. Then when they get too small to scrape off more, I put them aside until I have another pair just like them, scrape off the non-sticky outer layer, and mash two together to have an almost new pair! Review by Judy Wilson
11 comment41 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
Having a snoring partner and 4 cats (which love to yell once in a while at the door) and being a light sleeper, Mack's silicone earplugs gave me back proper night rest and sanity with that.

They have being doing that great job for me now for years.

The best way to insert them is to place them flat over the ear canal and then turn them while pressing. They'll then seal properly and not go inside the ear canal. If you press too much air in the ear canal (you'll feel the excess pressure) reopen seal in on corner a little bit to let air escape and reseal by turning again.

Normally you can use a pair of these earplugs 3 or 4 days, before they loose their 'stickiness'.

I tried foam, but it does not seal as well, comes loose too easily and requires risky deep penetration of the ear canal, causing damage or infections.

Oh, and my cats also love playing with the silicone Mack's and will even dig in the waste basket for them, so I make sure to hide them ........... :-)
on September 19, 2008
As everyone else has said, they work great initially. The honest answer is that each pair lasts two nights. You have to be wasteful if you want a good nights rest. They are more comfortable than anything else out there, but unfortunately spending $6 every two weeks starts to get on your nerves.

My most important recommendation is to get these at Wallgreens. The price is a couple dollars cheaper than what is offered here and you get them immediately with out wait time. Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs, Value Pack 6 Pair
33 comments56 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2008
I've tried a lot of earplugs and these are by far the best. There is a trick to their usage, they MUST make a suction in your ear (air tight), otherwise they won't work well at all. I think a lot of the problems people are having is due to this. They are also very effective for keeping water out while swimming as I use them 3 times a week for this as well. As other people have mentioned they get dirty quickly, but I can get about 2 weeks worth of usage per pair.
on July 9, 2004
I have been using these for over 10 years. Other foam plugs don't even compare. They are so comfortable and really block out most noise. I always travel with them, especially when I am sharing a room with someone. When I went to a retreat last summer, I brought several boxes with me. I was the most popular person in the entire group at bedtime. I have nightmares that this company may go out of business someday and I will never get to sleep again!
11 comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2012
These, if fitted correctly block out everything, even airplane noise. but LADIES BEWARE, if this gets on your hair it is like having bubblegum stuck in your hair. painful to get out
on July 14, 2007
I've tried every product I could find over the years and none work as well as these Mack's plugs. These stay in my ear all night and never fall out.

I absolutely, positively, always travel with these - I'm a light sleeper and I find I frequently need these at hotels. If your spouse has a tendency to snore these can also be a lifesaver. And, yes, once in a while, in a really noisy place, my wife uses them and is extremely happy I carry these with me. She loves them as well.

Before I found Mack's I was actually considering travelling with a set of the ear protectors they sell at gun shops. Those work well too by the way in terms of using at home, but they're a little too bulky to travel with.
on June 23, 2011
My husband's snoring is atrocious. He's also 6'8" tall so he doesn't fit on the couch. On a good night, I get about 5 hours of sleep. I lay there and loathe him because he's sleeping soundly and I'm awake because of his sleeping. I bought these earplugs yesterday and these things are a GOD SEND. I tried the memory foam ones and they hurt my ears like crazy and I didn't think they would stay in very well. Mack's form to your ears, they stayed in all night, and I actually slept for a solid 8 hours. I could still hear the snoring, but it sounded distant and peaceful, nothing like the VUVUZELA I was used to sleeping with. I can see how they wouldn't last very long but even though I'm not made of money, I will GLADLY pay $6 every two weeks to sleep through every night! I felt great this morning and I wanted to hug my husband instead of slap him.