4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to handle strollerb
We love this stroller and so does our 18 month old. He picked it out when he was just 12 months old. He preferred it hands down to any other stroller in the store :). Of course it was our preference as well.

Published on May 31, 2009 by Hemanth

2.0 out of 5 stars Maclaren Triumph
We bought the Maclaren Triumph because we needed a lightweight, easy to use stroller.

After checking out various brands, we got a Maclaren because of the great reviews.

Published on July 22, 2009 by E. Villarreal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Maclaren Triumph, July 22, 2009

I like the fact that the Maclaren triumph stroller is lightweight and folds almost flat (umbrella fold). It does a good job for quick trips, or for taking my daughter to daycare. The 5 second Maclaren fold usually takes me longer than 5 seconds, but it is really easy. The opening takes longer though,and I have sometimes pinched my foot on one of the bars while trying to push down the other.
I also like the fact that it came with a raincover, so we didnt have to spend extra on it.
Unfortunatly thats about it....

Now, as for what I dont like.... its a longer list:
1. It doesnt fully recline, nor is it ever fully upright, so its just a bit uncomfortable for my daughter, and almost impossible to nap, unless she is very very tired, and even then, the nap will not last too long.
2. The seat ist very padded, I especially dislike that her legs are just dangling off the stroller and the bar at the end of the seat is metal, and although its covered in fabric it just feels too hard. On the same note, the footrest isnt adjustable, so I think her legs are going to be dangling for a very long time.
2. The hood is very small, so it only works to shade her if the sun is directly above. If you live in a sunny, hot place, or plan to use this stroller for a trip, like say, Disney, I would think about it twice since the sun protection is minimal.
3. The wheels are very small plastic ones, so its a bouncy ride!
4. The underneath basket is small, and when you keep the raincover in it, you can forget about even having a basket, except for essentials, like a small blanket or a couple of bottles, but I can't see how a regular diaper bag would fit.
5. The raincover is easy to put on, you just have to hook it on the 4 different hooks, but its not sturdy, meaning my 16 month old can easily kick it off, and has been known to poke her head out the side.
6. The harness, gets stuck ALL the time. I have had some long fights trying to get my daughter out and it will get undone on one side, but I cant get it undone on the other... maybe its just mine, but it really bothers me.
7. The handles are foam coated, which is a good idea, except that after 1 year of use the foam is wearing off so the quality isnt great. I also have to say they are positioned a bit oddly, after a few minutes of pushing the stroller, my hands just feel tired. I like the Quinny Zapp's handles much better.

So, I gave it 2 stars, because for the price, even though it is an umbrella stroller I was expecting a bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to handle strollerb, May 31, 2009

The weight of the stroller was a big selling point. It's really easy for my wife to get it into the trunk of our SUV and I love how easy it is to get through security at an airport. Collapsing it and expanding it is very simple and we've never had problems with it. We use it 3 times a day to take the dogs for a walk on the rough sidewalks where we live and the wheels have held up well.

The only thing I can knock on this stroller is the storage compartment underneath. When my son is reclined it becomes very difficult to put things into the compartment and get them out. Also, this can not be used (as some people do) as a shopping cart when walking through the mall or airport. The stroller will flip over if you hang something too heavy on the handle bars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems great at first - but be careful and diligent!, January 18, 2014
This is my second Maclaren Triumph stroller, and I have now been pushing a Triumph almost daily for well over 5 years. Please be wary of perfect reviews given by happy new customers who have just received their strollers but have not actually really used them! For it seems that the Triumph does have some important design 'quirks' that all parents should be aware of.

My major issue with my current Maclaren stroller (approximate 2010-2011 model) is with the seat back recline strap which in my experience, is faulty. If you are looking at buying a Maclaren Triumph stroller, I highly recommend trying one out in person with your child before buying, or when you purchase one, immediately test the seat back recline to see that it can sit upright properly, and that your child can sit comfortably and properly in it.

My story....

I purchased a second Triumph stroller after I ran my first (approx. 2007 model) into the ground. I loved it and found it to be a good stroller (despite a few quirks, such as the brakes are soft and come off on their own, and it tips back easily). So when it was well worn through and I wanted to buy another for my second child, I just picked up another Triumph without trying out in-store, or even thinking too much about it.

But immediately when I went to actually use the stroller, I noticed there was a huge difference between my older model Triumph and my new one, all to do with the seat strap recline function.

Right away I noticed that on the newer model, the back support strap was stitched to the seat sides in a much different position, which makes it impossible for the seat to be adjusted much or properly at all. It is impossible for the seat to be inclined so that a child would be able to sit upright and properly. A child must always be lying back slightly reclined in this stroller, and if they want to sit upright and watch where they are going (and which child over a certain age wouldn't) they must hold themselves upright themselves, which makes for a *very* awkward and uncomfortable ride. My son, approximately 1.5 years at the time immediately HATED the new Triumph stroller, he was so uncomfortable, trying to hold his body up so he could sit properly and see.

I thought that I could work with this quirk of poor design (or production mistake) because I just LOVED my Maclarens, and they are marketed as a brand of quality and integrity. So, I decided that I would simply use large safety pins to pin the seat up into a functional more upright position, and give Maclaren a call to check on this new obvious design/production flaw when I grabbed a moment. But then, busy with living and parenting, my moment to call Maclaren got pushed back and back, I got used to my safety pins, and life went on.

About year later, we booked a vacation and I thought that I better call Maclaren to check on this darn seat before we travel. I called their customer service line and talked to a rather lovely woman (Sonia) from customer care. She told me something to the effect that "the new design of the Triumph seat recline strap did have more of a recline then before, but that this is acceptable for children" - but then she paused and added "But as a mother, I can't see why they would've made it this way, it doesn't seem right". She asked me to send some photos and email so that she could check if, indeed, I did receive a faulty seat, which I immediately did.

A couple of days I received a form email stating: "The angle between the seat base and the most upright position of the seat back on the original design of the Triumph is greater than 100 degrees; this was fully compliant with the standards, therefore we have to advise there is no fault with the design. The latest model of the Maclaren Triumph does have a slightly more sitting up position, however this was a running change and certainly not due to any safety aspects not being met by the previous Triumph specification."

Comparing my older Triumph stroller next to my newer one, I could tell immediately that there was an obvious flaw between the two models. I know that my older model (approx. 2007) Triumph has a perfectly working seat recline strap system in which a child could actually sit upright comfortably and properly. The Maclaren form email I was sent stated that their latest (2014) models had been changed to be able to have a "slightly more sitting up position". To me, as a professional designer who has worked in product design for the past 15 years (and a person with basic common sense) I can deduce that there was either a design oversight or manufacturing flaw with the Triumph models in and around the 2010-2013, and because it was not a safety issue (just a comfort one for children) They didn't issue a recall or make the huge expense to correct it.

For me, I will take another look at my stroller and see if I can remove the seat and permanently fix the problem myself (it is a very simple solution - the seat recline strap simple had to be sewn in the correct position, halfway between the seat middle and the chassis).

But then, my Maclaren Triumph stroller does have a few other negative quirks, which, weighted with the seat incline issue, makes me reconsider if I should look to replace it again (sigh).

Negatives:

1. First off immediately, check the seat to make sure your child can actually sit upright, comfortably and properly in the stroller, and that the seat strap inclines and reclines properly and fully!
2. The brakes on my Triumph have always been *very* soft, and often just come off on their own. Even with the brakes on, I constantly must be diligent to always hold on to my stroller (especially when waiting at a crossing light, or riding the train or public transit).
3. The stroller tips back on a dime, something that once again parents must be diligent of.
4. I also find that the child harness strap comes and always stays twisted, which apparently is another 'quirk' of Maclaren.
5. When the stroller is folded, the dirty wheels sit inside of the sun shade, causing it to become dirty and worn with time. (The main reason I had to replace my first Triumph was that my sun shade wore right through, causing it to be useless in the rain - ugh).
6. I found my Triumph to be at it's best when out on city walks - but when I went through a park, beach or whatnot it's plastic wheels are not meant for such things and become quite stuck. (no big deal to me, just something that might want to be considered)
7. The Triumph is also recommended for children 6 months and up I believe, but in my experience, this stroller didn't really become useful until my two children were in and around 1 years old, and could really sit upright very comfortably for longer periods.
8. The Triumph model is simple and doesn't have a cup holder or pocket for storage.
4. The under seat storage basket can be pretty much useless.

*The positives*
1. The Triumph turns on a dime and I love the way I can rotate full-circle with them so easily.
2. I have found that their wheel base is slightly less chunky then other strollers I've tried, which is fantastic for city living when you're wheeling onto a crowded train or through a narrow shop aisle.
3. The Maclaren Triumph seems very streamlined, and I appreciate being able to stay a little more anonymous and less barraging when out in a crowd. I find it to be quite lightweight and quite easy to carry if required.
4. Coming from the Pacific Northwest where rain is a huge issue, I also appreciate the rain cover system, and personally have found it functional and easy to manage. (Although my son hated it at first and it took him a while to get used to it - it does sit quite close to a child's face)

Best of luck to all of you in finding the best stroller for you and your child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best umbrella stroller, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Maclaren Triumph Stroller, Black (Baby Product)
Lightweight, easy to fold and unfold, excellent quality....all must haves for mommies and babies. I was able to get through airport security while holding my 8 month old and having only one hand to fold it, unfold it, and sling it across my back when necessary. I would recommend this to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, light stroller, November 14, 2012
This was our 6th stroller purchase in the past 8 years. We have several other Graco strollers and a Joovy, but we were looking for a light weight stroller that did not take too much room in the car and was good for travel. This purchase was intended to go to Disney with us, and we have not yet gone on that trip, so I cannot tell you how it works for that yet. But what I can tell you is this is a very easily folded and light stroller that seems comfortable for my daughter. I like that it reclines, although not all the way. One complaint I have is that it doesn't sit upright fully. It is at a slight recline even when the seat back is up all the way. I am trying to figure out a way to rig it so it stays up farther, but no luck so far. I would also recommend getting a cup holder or some sort of organizer to put on this. We were used to the parent organizer that come on Graco models and this doesn't even have a basic cup holder. We purchased a cup holder to hold our daughter's sippy cup and a parent organizer that straps onto the handles for our drinks, keys and phone. Overall, it suits the purpose. Hopefully it will hold up well on our trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stroller for travel!, May 27, 2009
This stroller really made our vacation with our 8 month old be a lot easier than we thought! It was easy to wheel, even in the mountainous areas, and very light to carry around. When it first arrived at our door, I thought it was very cool looking too! All in all, we were very happy with this purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Maclaren Triumph Stroller, Black (Baby Product)
Do not like how the adjustable back works. Will not recommend this product,I'm sorry I did not returned this item.

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay, January 3, 2013
You have to factor in the additional cost that will come with this stroller: you will need accessories. At least a bag or cup holder or something to put a bottle, a toy, your keys, etc. Overall this is an easy-to-use piece and looks relatively sturdy (for an umbrella stroller). Yes, as the other reviewers said: it does tip over if there's nearly any weight on the handles - so you cannot hang the diaper bag there (if you do, you'd better remove the bad before the kid who otherwise serves as a counterweight). Also right are the other reviews about the adjustment of the seatback: it's a joke. It barely adjusts and it is difficult to accomplish even that with the bizarre clip. It does not come upright but leans back quite a bit (far more than your average high chair, for example).

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst stroller ever, July 27, 2012
This review is from: Maclaren Triumph Stroller, Black (Baby Product)
Terrible for such an expensive umbrella stroller, it doesnt fully recline nor fully seats upright, it is very uncomfortable for my child.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Very uncomfortable for my toddler, August 25, 2014
JGaldames (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This stroller handles very well and I like the size. It's easy to maneuver on city streets and around tight spaces in stores and restaurants. My problem with this stroller is the seat. It sits at a 45 degree angle and you cannot adjust it to sit straight up. My son can't really see out and I watch him struggle to pull himself up all the time. I've had this stroller since he was 1.5 years and I thought he would grow into it... but at 2.5 the problems are still the same. Also, the foot rest is useless. You can't adjust that either and his feet get caught up in it all the time. I'm stuck with this stroller because I don't want to spend the money on another one [I've rigged it a bit with tape]. But I would tell any parent shopping for an umbrella stroller not to get this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›