Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Macro capability? What is the minimum focus of the kit lens?
asked by Amazon Customer on December 5, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
According to the Panasonic lens chart for the 14-45 lens, the minimum focus distance is 1 foot or 12 inches. I haven't tested the G1 in the more traditional macro/close-up type approach. I didn't get the impression that the camera likes getting closer than 12".

From @2-3', I was able to engage the Extended Zoom (2x) + 4x digital + a Tcon 1.7 teleconverter (1200mm) and got surprisingly good results. I'm not suggesting you do it, but it worked.
Les Schmader answered on December 5, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So this is a major concession in comparison with much less expensive cameras' focusing distances of one to two inches. Anyone with ideas as to why this is so. I used a Nikkormat with a Nikon macro lens for many years and have considered a Nikon digital body to allow continued use of the lens. Anyone with any thoughts on marrying such different technologies?
Amazon Customer answered on December 5, 2010

A
Les Schmader answered on December 5, 2010

A
Thanks for your attention to my questions. I will have to do more research at the manufacturer websites.
Amazon Customer answered on December 5, 2010

A
I have the kit 14-45 lens and have had good results with a Tiffen closeup filter (a +10) - it wasn't cheap, but it does allow the camera to focus down to about six inches and the image quality is quite good.
Teddy W. Raper answered on April 21, 2011

A
I've been using Kenko close-up filters/lenses on my 14-45, 45-200. 28mm & 50mm K-mount slr lenses and they work pretty well. They really shorten the 36" focus distance of the 45-200.

Even after 4 months, I'm not sure what the lady was really asking. I think she was under the impression that a G1 micro 4/3 had a macro/close-up mode just like a P&S, and they don't.
Les Schmader answered on April 21, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product