5.0 out of 5 stars Manuals and reputations can be misleading...
Published on July 5, 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive given the price
Published on May 27, 2001 by Phil Mattison

5.0 out of 5 stars Manuals and reputations can be misleading..., July 5, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
As a lifelong artist, but relatively new web designer, I have owned Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, and FrontPage 2000 for as long as their respective lives. Despite the help of numerous 3rd party books, AND the sizable manuals of the Adobe products, I still could not get past using only FrontPage for virtually all web work (I admit, FrontPage is pretty straight-forward and easy). I did feel like a kid on training wheels, and knew my creativity was suffering horribly due to my lack of creative control. I considered trying Macromedia products. I was always a little intimidated by Dreamweaver's rep as a 'professional' web authoring tool, and figured if I couldn't learn the Adobe products, why try to learn DW? Eventually curiosity prevailed and I decided to give the DW and Fireworks 4 demos a try. I fell in love with both. IMO, Fireworks is very intuitive . I quickly learned how to utilize most of the features by simply referring to the 'poor' Fireworks help menu, and trial & error. I produced some outstanding effects, buttons, menus, animations, and banners with Fireworks. (no more tiled GIF newbie backgrounds!) I feel like a pro! I also read a few books on HTML to break away from relying on the "cookie-cutter" designing style of FrontPage. I work in DW code view more than design view now. I use Fireworks design objects almost exclusively. With the seamless intigration, and a little code tweaking (personal preference), I am achieving outstanding results. And to think I was a NEWBIE less than a year ago. I couldn't purchase Fw, DW, and Flash fast enough.
There are several great books on how to use Fireworks. Virtually all of them can be found right here, in Amazon.
While PS6 is the better image editor, Fireworks holds it's ground in virtually all other areas. It is a very powerful program (when used properly).
I tried Fireworks 4 and ultimately bought it (along with Dreamweaver 4 & Flash 5) I suggest you give the demo a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative for Photoshop, August 21, 2001
Lonny Potecho (Jerusalem Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
Although it is a heavy application and not as professional as Adobe Photoshop - Macromedia Fireworks enables anyone with very little experience to create good looking Graphics and special effects to any image with very little design experience. The price is great comparing to Photoshop Suite which is close to $1000. To tell you the truth I used Fireworks on most of my sites and Photoshop just for the last touch and some very special effects that I didn't know how to do on Fireworks. It is very easy to create shapes since you can move each lines individually - you can control every single dot in the image, and you don't have to be an expert - everything is explained - and this software is followed by some great tutorials by Macromedia.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing product..., January 9, 2001
Bruce Pierson (Bozeman, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
Macromedia has outdone themselves with this product. Creating rollovers, especially, is now a painless and really cool "drag and drop" process. This even applies to creating popup-menus. You can create popup menus on the first day you use this product. They have included the entire Java source code to do these. Be warned though: This is a big Java file, 25k or so. I don't know enough about JavaScript to know whether the entire file is included in your web pages with popup menus, but if it is, this will add a huge burden on each page (maybe it's a server-side function? I just don't know).
With the addition of selective JPEG compression, the need for Photoshop or other image-editing tools is on the wane.
The other really cool thing is the roundtrip to DreamWeaver (4 or UltraDev 4) is now VERY SEAMLESS. I couldn't believe how great this feature worked.
There are many, many other features that are either upgraded, added, or otherwise reorganized to make more sense.
You will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Photoshop or Paintshop Pro wanna be!, January 23, 2002
Michael S. Boardley (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
Fireworks 4 is not a Photoshop wanna be. It's sole purpose is the design,layout and implementation of fantastic websites. Fireworks is better suited than photoshop for web graphics.
Why, you ask? because it uses vector graphics to maitain editablity for all time. This means if a client does not like a color or font style, you can use Firework's find and replace to update your enitre set of files! Fireworks also allows you to save buttons you create in a library that can be used over and over.

You want to use Photoshop along side Fireworks to do any bitmap editing. Firworks does have a nice set of bitmap tools, but let Photoshop handle your serious photographic work. In closing, remember: Photoshop is a BITMAP editor. It does not allow you the same FLEXABILITY as Fireworks will. Fireworks 4 is BOTH a bitmap & vector program. So when it comes to creating the best looking websites in the least amount of time, look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Web graphics? You need Fireworks!, November 4, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
I have to say it... I love Macromedia Fireworks. I'd been using PhotoShop and ImageReady, but no more. Fireworks makes building not just web graphics easy, but entire nav bars and even full websites. If you're in need a graphics, this is the way to go. You can build simple rollovers and disjointed rollovers as easily as just basic graphics. Plus, editing them afterward is a snap, especially if you're working with Dreamweaver. The two programs have completely seamless integration. It can work with any font on your computer. And, it'll impress your clients like nothing you've used before.
You can even import graphics from Illustrator, FreeHand and PhotoShop with very little trouble.
A great program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fireworks works for me, July 5, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
I am surprised at the negative reviews. I have been using Dreamweaver and Fireworks for a couple of years and find Fireworks very useful in creating web graphics. Fireworks 4 is a substantial improvement over 3. I teach DW and FW basics to colleagues where I work and find the tutorials very useful in preparing lessons. Since I was familiar with Photoshop before I started using Fireworks, perhaps I din't notice the problems mentioned, and yes, I did use the Quickstart book and also found the tutorial in Fireworks very smooth. It's not an easy program but it's worth learning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive given the price, May 27, 2001
Phil Mattison (Gilbert, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
I was a little puzzled after seeing so many rave reviews... to immediately find a glaring bug when I started the tutorials for this product. Incredibly, when entering text into the main document window or the button editor, the text selection box does not align with the text! This makes it nearly impossible to select text from among other objects in the page. Looking at the Macromedia online "Tech Support" page I found not help for this problem, but a catalog of HUNDREDS of other bugs. Maybe this is a great program for Mac users, but PC users beware. Obviously this is just a slip-shod porting effort from an original Mac title in an attempt to move into a customer base that isn't shrinking. A bit of advice: before buying ANY software, look at the producer's web page to get some idea of what kind of support you can get if you have a problem, and see how many known bugs have been reported. This program seems to have many powerful features, but that doesn't help much when the ones you use most don't work correctly. I guess I should stick with the try-before-you-buy approach.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fireworks-Dud or Stud?, May 25, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
I first bought this product because of all the good reviews I read about it that it ranks right up there with Photoshop. This may be true if you can ever figure out how to use it. Unlike Photoshop, you won't find any good books or tutorials on how to use this product. Now if you can't use this program, what is it worth? Certainly not what their asking for it.
I do see that Macromedia has work shops that you can travel to and some internet training for their products but at a high cost, and I don't know if they are any good, and I don't care to spend the money or drive the distance to find out.
In my opion, if you can't provide a good tutorial and include it with your product and not as an added cost, then what good is your product to the average Joe.
In my opion this Fireworks program is a dud, and these good reviews that I've read about Fireworks are not coming from the general public but from industry exectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy and Fun, November 25, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
I recently purchased Fireworks to design our company webpage. I had been trying to use Frontpage, but that was not going well (I haven't been able to produce any quality pages with FrontPage, and I don't want to invest the time to learn how). Fireworks is very easy to learn, especially if you have used Photoshop and Illustrator (you can use the same shortcut keys from Photoshop). It works pretty much like Photoshop and Illustrator rolled up in one package (although it can't do everything those programs do). So far it's taken me a few days to go through the tutorial, lessons, and read the manual, and I've already got several cool web page designs up and ready to go. I was quite satisfied with the product and will use it for all my web work now (with help from Photoshop and Illustrator for some cooler photo and graphics effects). All in all, an excellent product. Oh, and I'm by no means an expert user of these programs, so don't be afraid if you haven't done too much web work in the past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookie cutter, November 28, 2001
This review is from: Fireworks 4.0 (CD-ROM)
This is a big disappointment, because its exactly like competing products out there like Paint Shop Pro 7.0 and the Adobe Photo Shop. Same fuctions, same filters, effects and layer function. However this software is much cheaper than Adobe Photo Shop so that might be a good thing. The only useful function I have found that sets Fireworks apart from competing products is its integration into Macromedia Dreamweaver (an HTML editor). With such great innovations as a very easy batch editor, that lets you select whole directory and edit the size, the brightness, and file type of the output images. Very useful for people with picture websites.

Fireworks 4.0
Fireworks 4.0 by Macromedia (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / NT)
Used & New from: $19.00