5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VBA Resource, and I've seen them all!
Published on July 21, 2004 by Anne M. Troy

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get this as your first VBA book
Published on April 4, 2010 by Mehmet Tarzi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VBA Resource, and I've seen them all!, July 21, 2004
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
I have never been able to grasp the concepts of VBA. I believe in VBA and its ability to supercharge Office applications, but could never seem to learn even Excel VBA, which is supposed to be the easiest. This is the first book I've read (yes, I've read the Romans and the Walkenbachs) that made any sense to me at all. Too many books approach VBA as if you have already learned how to code in other programs. I came to VBA from the Office user side of things. I don't have that *programming* brain required to pick up VBA easily. So this book has been a godsend. While I've only read about half the book so far, so many things that escaped me are finally falling into place. Thanks very much to Bill and Tracy for a terrific VBA resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all, May 15, 2005
Jimmy Hai (Manchester, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
This book is an excellent resource for all levels. The book contains some minor typo and error in the code but you can download all the correct code files from the publisher's website. If you keep working along with book, you will soon be able to create macro (or modify the book's macro) that save you hours of time. I highly recommend reading Chapter 14: Reading from and Writing to the web. It contains code that you can extract data from the web, it is also the main reason why I bought this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Mastering VBA in Excel, July 19, 2004
Jay (Rockville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
This book is extremely helpful! My knowledge and understanding of VBA and Excel have skyrocketed after reading. Sections like "5 easy tips for cleaning up recorded code" are fantastic to the beginner. It covers tons of material in a concise, effective manner so that you can start writing advance code immediately. The book is not only for beginners though. While some examples are easy to understand, others are very challenging. There are many advanced sections of the book that I'm totally not ready for now but will be in the future. I read one other Microsoft book on VBA in Excel that centered around specific examples on a CD and this book blows it away. This book gives you much more general, useful knowledge on how to write code, in all areas of Excel. If you are looking for a VBA reference book, this is a good one. It might not be the only book you will need (I also have Roman's book--and have found it useful to have 2 books for referencing), but it is well written and you will learn a lot on the way to mastering VBA in Excel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomely Empowering and Revealing!, July 21, 2004
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
I've read many books on Excel - or at least have attempted to. "VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel" has kept my attention and has brought forth some great techniques and information.

There are a few really cool features of the book:

I greatly appreciate that there are multiple contributors; this - I think - was a great idea! The flow is smooth, topics are backed up with abundant visuals AND I really like the 'Case Studies' feature.

We all know that many businesses have moved to (and continue to move to) the internet. No matter the data that you require, the information on Querying Web Data alone is more than worth the retail cost of this book!

If you're considering purchasing a comprehensive book as your daily compendium to MS Excel and you would like to employ the use of Visual Basic for Applications then this is the one book you want to have when you get to the check out counter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive! A wealth of key information and examples, October 3, 2006
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
I found this book to be one of the best references for Excel VBA development. The book is easy to understand and follow. Contains a large amount of examples that can be easily understood. Addresses many critical aspects of excel VBA development. Not too much was spent on forms/GUI development so you will have to look elsewhere if you into that. Also addresses interfacing Excel to databases using ADO as well as API programming which is critical for superusers to extend the power of excel without the limitation of data storage. Overall, the authors have a superb job and I consider this book to be an essential of my Excel VBA library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Book, December 6, 2004
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
This book has helped us so many times with difficult VBA problems. The author doesn't baby you with the easy problems. If you need help with the basics I would recommend VBA for dummies. With this book we have been able to find solutions for the most difficult problems for the most demanding projects. Great book deserves 6 stars Trust Me, buy this book.

Carl

Software Trainer

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, June 15, 2006
Indikos (Fairfax, Va) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
I highly recommned this book for people writing Excel macros and VBA. Very well organized and nice snappy text keeps you engaged and going. Lots of good code too. It is an intermediate level text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't get this as your first VBA book, April 4, 2010
Mehmet Tarzi (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
My aim was to get a structured introduction to the VBA programming in order to create macros that would be useful for my own specific needs. It was a little late when I realized that this book wouldn't do it. The introduction to VBA is okay, but then the author jumps from one topic to another without a logical structure. Although there are very good Macro examples in the book, they are for specific cases and cannot really be tailored to one's specific needs unless the reader already possesses some VBA knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information!!, March 10, 2005
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
This was an excellent book! It was everything I'd hoped it would be - and more! This book is for any beginner to intermediate VBA programmer to build their skills. It will take you from recording macros to custom designing your own userforms and making everyone in the office give 'ooohh''s! The examples are complete, editing is superb, flow and design are both very commendable. Mr. Jelen and Mrs. Syrstad have done a very fine job on this book. I would recommend this to ANYBODY who wanted to learn or who was fairly proficient in VBA. It's packed full of useful, and efficient, methods that will save HOURS of work! When done reading, it will make a great reference for anybody in the office who uses Excel!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, July 12, 2007
Alfredo Lattero "Al" (Grl Pacheco, Buenos Aires, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
The book is useful. The worksheets downloaded from the Internet are also very clear.
Sometimes you expect more explanations on statements which use new features not connected with the subject being reviewed.
I think that I shall not need to purchase any other book on this subject.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel
VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel by Bill Jelen (Paperback - May 20, 2004)
$44.99 $30.24