5.0 out of 5 stars This book is like a dream come true!!, November 5, 2002
Ricardo Von Watts "RVW" (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
I am now working in printing and desktop publishing because of MAD. When I was 9 years old my Grandmother gave me about ten of my Uncle's old MADs from the early days. I was drawn into the crazy world of those amazing drawings and the funny dialog. Every day after school I would copy the drawings from MAD, which is what led me into graphic arts. Over the years I have been collecting old MADs, which my 13 year old likes to read from time to time.
I understand what it takes to produce any type of publication, and I have often wondered where the original artwork or the negatives from the first MADs ended up. Unless I am totally wrong, I think this book was printed from the original art or the original film. I am very impressed with the care with which this book was produced. The detail and color is first rate, and the printing is excellent.
I now own a perfect copy of the first six MADs produced. For someone who is interested in art and printing and comic book history, this is a must. Very cool!! I look forward to the next set.

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMOR THAT STILL HOLDS UP TO THIS DAY, January 26, 2006
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
I remember when I was young how much MAD Magazine used to make me laugh. The satire was wonderfully organized in a way that both kids and adults could enjoy it. Much like the Warner Brothers cartoon shorts did when they shown to audiences at the theater.

In the 70's and 80's MAD magazine would do special issues that contained mini color comics of the original color comic book when they started with EC Comics. I found that these comics were just as funny and sometimes even stranger than some of the current artists from MAD at that time. Much to my delight

DC comics took the original six issues and placed them in a fantastic large hardcover book.

This is one of the most beautiful reprinting works I have seen. The colors and the paper quality of this book is designed to last a lifetime. If you truly enjoy classic comic books, classic MAD Magazine or an adult who adores film parodies, then you must own this book.

This is just not a comic book , but a piece of history and how parody became a part of the mainstream. Remember that back in 1952 when these were first published, the idea of reading comic books was for children or the working class. This was not considered good adult reading material by literary standards yet.

But yet these teams of adult writers and artists took the first steps in changing the concepsts of literary humor that we now live with today.

At only 10 cents an issue, people who had a taste for off beat humor,horror stories, or science fiction picked up EC comics. This was a perfect outlet for teens as well of the 50's who loved movies of a simular nature. The comic writers refect that same love of TV and film through their parodies of Superman,Tarzan, and the Lone Ranger.

DC just now needs to release the other issues past #6. I was lucky to read so many of those mini re-prints and some of those stories still make me laugh when I think about them today. These orignal six issues don't even cover how funny MAD eventually grew up to be as a comic. But you can kind of tell since this little comic survived and one day became a beloved magazine.

5.0 out of 5 stars best stuff ever, September 7, 2005
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
If you have ever been a fan of mad magazine any point in your life you need to see where it all began. From the page of The Mad archives vol. 1 you will see the first six issues of mad EVER. Social comentary, gross humor, at best a critical eye at the golden age of EC comics and comics everywhere (the thinly veiled superman parody is worth the price of the book alone) Despite appeal to comic fans (wally wood, and some of the best golen age comic artist to grace one single archive), every one who understands the phrase "What me worry?" READ THIS. you wont be disapointed. Only question WHEN WILL VOL 2 BE OUT????????

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY important format change for MAD reprint - here's why, March 15, 2008
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
I'm guessing that DC is printing the MAD archives in an 8 1/2" x 11 format for a reason. If the first four volumes reprinting the comic book MAD sell well enough. They will continue by reprinting the magazine in archive format for the first time. So even though I've bought this material in numerous reprints before, I will support this project. Just think. If sales justify continuing the series, volume five will be all of the Kurtzman edited issues of the magazine. 'nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please please please release the next 3 volumes!, August 1, 2006
Mister 1-2-3-4 (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
Even though Mad was always considered a "juvenile humor" magazine, the writing is hilarious and often riskier than anything out there today, and the art is top-notch. Just look at all the gags going on in the backgrounds -- you probably couldn't have made half of them out when the comics were originally printed on cheap paper -- and you'll be glad you bought this book. DC really needs to publish the remaining volumes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great!, January 27, 2009
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
I collect Mad mags now and then, but the first issues are too expensive for my tastes. With these mad archives, you get the first 6 mags in great reproductions and original size for a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what it says, January 2, 2014
Larryroz "larryroz" (Mt Pleasant, SC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
Just what it says..Just what it says.I gave this for a Christmas present and the recipient started reading it before dinner, he loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAD, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
What can you say about acquiring a collection of the first MAD comics. This first issue of the MAD Archive series is a great buy and introductory point for all late comers to the MAD magazine family. A must have for all MAD collectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
The content speaks for itself here. This is a beautiful, finely detailed reproduction on high quality paper, in a first class binding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A radical, subversive magazine in its day!, January 2, 2013
WD Preece (Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 (Paperback)
MAD was the magazine all the young "cool" guys read. It was hip, sarcastic, irreverent, subversive, and downright dangerous to the status quo! And absolutely hilarious too.

I bought this for a friend and he absolutely loved it. Well recommended.

Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6
Mad Archives, The: Volume 1 - Issues 1-6 by The Usual Gang of Idiots (Paperback - August 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $22.99