1,238 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Subreference Spectacular!
Published on October 3, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed :(
I loved the first Madagascar and couldnt wait for the second - as is common with sequels, I was let down a little bit. I though given the reviews this one was as awesome as the first but sadly no. It just was not very good. A bit disappointing to say the least. I had a lot of issues with various things in the story line and it just felt rushed and didnt flow well.
Published 23 months ago by Jaebee

5.0 out of 5 stars Subreference Spectacular!, October 3, 2012
I'm the dad reviewing here: Super fun, ridiculous movie. Story line was so-so. That's okay though. Why? Because the characters both old and new were so endearing and well-developed that it doesn't really matter. No kid says "I love the continuity in that subplot about the relationship between King Julien and the bear." No. It's more like "It was funny. Polka-dot Polka-dot Polka-dot Afro!" and it was way funnier than I expected for installment 3. The subreferences to The Matrix, Bond films, and Cirque de Soleil, and zillions of other little things, I was in stitches several times. Actually my kids looked at me sideways wondering what the heck. In addition, the incredible fine details make it worth getting HD, or Bluray. I know I'm gushing, but I don't care -- this series has given me so many good laughs they deserve it. Basset hound!
Update 10/17/2012-- I watched it again, on my little Kindle screen, to recover from an episode of Walking Dead. It did the trick, but was so funny I ended up watching the whole thing. The penguins are still the most witty.

5.0 out of 5 stars FYI - Digital Copy, October 16, 2012
caskote (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
Just an FYI - the insert on the DVD asks you to go to a Paramount web site, where you will asked for your code, email address, DOB, etc. Ignore it - they just want to add you to their database. Just launch iTunes, click "Redeem", enter the code on the insert - the movie will download to your iTunes library.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best one so far, February 2, 2013
Andy H. (Prescott, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
This is arguably the best one so far in the Madagascar trilogy. This version comes in three formats, Blu-ray, DVD, and itunes digital copy along with Ultraviolet copy. The movie is exceptionally funny and captivating. I guarantee you wouldn't regret if you purchase this version that is several bucks more expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun and a 3D extravaganza!, October 16, 2012
Sequels generally have a tendency to be half as good as the original, but in this case Madagascar 3 has a refreshingly new look, same level of energy and humor with its cast of characters, and a vibrant backdrop of a circus.

The cast of characters - Marty, Alex, Gloria, and and Melman - decide to leave Africa and go back to New York, but need the penguins help to fly back, the penguins are as hilarious as they have been. With the penguins in Monte Carlo, there begins their adventure. They run into the devious Captain Chantal Dubois is the head of animal control in Europe who is called for help. She is a little too serious about her job and wants to mount the heads of the animals, particularly Alex the lion's, on her wall as trophies. She brings delightful humor with her ways! In a way she reminded me of the "Bad Kitty" eastern European lady from NY in part 2. The scenes with her are very funny. The lemur king Julian falls in love with the bear at the circus and he is entertaining as always, the very talented Sacha Baron Cohen has done a remarkable job with this character.

The animals join a circus in an attempt to get away from Dubois. A number of new characters are introduced here who are part of the circus. This is where the movie picks up pace and bursts with color, and makes it a joy watching in 3D. This has to be one of the best 3D treats our family has seen this year across Ice Age, Brave, and The Lorax. The overall plot of the film is not as strong or content-rich as the first one, but the vivid colors and brilliant scenes make this as much a treat to watch as the previous two films.

Madagascar 3 is fun for the entire family, kids and adults alike. Anxiously waiting to watch the DVD so that we can share the laughs again.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent movie, November 13, 2012
This was a very funny movie.Rhe first 3d movie i saw in a theatre. i took the kids they really enjoyed it so i bought it for christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Ride with Colorful Visuals, August 22, 2012
Tsuyoshi (Kyoto, Japan) - See all my reviews
Admittedly the opening of "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" is not great, but be patient. The second sequel is better than the first one and possibly the original. It takes a while for "Madagascar 3" to get really interesting.

The four animals from New York City's Central Park Zoo, Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria, decide to leave Africa, following the penguins now staying at a Monte Carlo hotel. Alex and the gang want the ever-resourceful penguins to fly them back to New York. But please don't ask me how the four big animals - a lion, a zebra, a giraffe and a hippopotamus - managed to travel from Africa to Europe.

The film kicks into gear when the film's "villainess" appears. She is Captain Chantel DuBois, Monaco's (or the world's) most efficient animal control officer "collecting" animals (their heads, in fact). With her incredible tracking skills and Jackie Chan-like physical prowess, she attempts to capture Alex the lion and the other animals in a hilarious chase sequence.

Most of the other new characters introduced are animals of a traveling circus troupe, including Gia the jaguar, Alex's love interest, and Vitaly the tiger, star of the circus. King Julien XIII also joins the tour and falls in love with Sonya the bear. These new characters and their subplots, though not particularly bad in themselves, are pretty weak when compared to scene-stealing Captain DuBois, who, like the penguins in the previous "Madagascar" films, deserves her own movie.

But the strength of DreamWorks' new animation lies in its colorful visuals (in part inspired by Cirque du Soleil) and thrilling action full of imagination that makes up for the lack of credible storyline. The rousing car chase sequence in Monte Carlo alone is worth your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun and giggles, October 25, 2012
It is entertaining, funny, and very addictive. When the move is over, you might want to run away with a circus yourself. Our old friends Alex, Marty, Gloria, and Melvin make a great movie. Chimpanzee and penguins make it a hilarious one. However, the new characters of this movie make it a movie complete. It is no longer just about coming back to New York for the escapees - this movie puts the word "family" in prospective and makes our old friends New-Yorkers re-evaluate their lifetime priorities.

We initially went to see Madagascar 3 in a theater when it was first released. Both of my kids, 3 and 5-year-old were captivated by the movie. Getting an advanced review copy was a pretty great treat too. This is the kind of show I don't mind to see over and over. Watching it for the second time was as exciting as it was few months ago at the theater. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Music From The Motion Picture)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stefano the sea lion is hilrarious, October 25, 2012
renee (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
I loved this movie. It was way funnier than I thought it would be. My favorite character was not any of the main characters. I liked Stefano the sea lion the best. Even my parents thought this movie was funny and they usually don't watch kids stuff. They watch shows like 24 and Lost on Netflix. LAME!

Madagascar 3 is fast paced and king Julian is as funny as always. His character developed a little more than the first movies.

I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it wasn't as good as Madagascar 1 and 2. The first two had more substance.

SPOILER ALERT

I know people get mad when you say parts of movies without saying spoiler alert. My mom is always yelling at me when I tell her what's going to happen. :) Here goes. I didn't like the lion hunter lady. I found her annoying.

My favorite part of the movie. Alex the lion: "Maybe you even have above average intelligence." Stefano the sea lion: (smiling) "No I don't think so."

My second favorite part. King Julian fell off a building. Everyone thought he was dead and they were sad. One character smiled though. The way it happened was funny and you have to see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Madagascar 3, February 1, 2013
Simply my favorite Madasgar! Lights, comedy! Fun, fancy, and fur power! Marty, Melman, Gloria, and Alex at their finest hour!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed :(, December 19, 2012
Jaebee (Invercargill, New Zealand) - See all my reviews

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
$19.99 $18.35